FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kanye West - "George Bush doesn't care about black people." (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kanye West - "George Bush doesn't care about black people."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like his remake of "Though the Wire." But other than that I can't stand rap/hip-hop.

But I always liked him a little bit more, because he was championed as the artists who wasn't talking about bitches and hoes.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I feel bad for him and chris tucker who was unprepared for the switch...

It was funny to watch mike myers while he's saying all of that crap....

Watch for his almost double take when he says "GB doesnt care about B. P." .... pretty funny

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
In her press conference Condoleeza Rice seemed very angry at the mere suggestion that the government didn't care about people due to color.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't make assumptions about who "hated" Kanye before (or after) this.

I can't stand 99.95% of rap/hip hop/modern r&b/punk/pseudo-glam rock/pseudo-alternative/emo/"indie"/pretty much anything that gets played on the radio these days.

But I think on the whole, Kanye has been taking steps to spread a message (which I happen to agree with), using the means most readily available to him.

He did the same thing with this broadcast, and it was wildly inappropriate, damaging, and hurtful to many. But I don't think for a second that he said it with the intention of hurting the victims and their families of the tragedy. So while I certainly think he should apologize at some point, I don't think what he said makes him a terrible person.

You hope his career tanks? Dream on - purely by talking about it, you're helping him.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who Kayne is. Doesn't appear he has anything of value to say in a time of crisis to help the crisis.

And I don't ususally look towards talented musicians with apparently small intelligence for sage wisdom.

I hope his big mouth didn't cost the concert any money, otherwise he needs to apologize to those it was meant to benefit.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Stroman, never heard his name before I read this thread.

What he said was in poor taste, and not backed up by facts. I agree that he may well have cost victims money. I hope the "message" he spread is worth it, considering what it may have cost the people who needed the help the most.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

He did the same thing with this broadcast, and it was wildly inappropriate, damaging, and hurtful to many. But I don't think for a second that he said it with the intention of hurting the victims and their families of the tragedy. So while I certainly think he should apologize at some point, I don't think what he said makes him a terrible person.

You hope his career tanks? Dream on - purely by talking about it, you're helping him.

Well, did you read my post at all?? I HOPE he suffers from it, but I KNOW that he won't. There's no need to tell me that esp. if I've already said it. And I don't think he said anything to hurt the victims of Katrina... And I never did say that. I just do not like the man, deal with it. That's my opinion and you don't have to agree, so let's move on.
I don't think it was a matter of race why the response was so bad in N.O. and other cities, and I think that saying so is slightly racist and really... just plain stupid.
oh well though.......

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Why is saying race might have played a role racist?

Who is it racist against?

If anything, it's classist.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

whatever... classist... racist. The point is... shut up Kanye West. That's what I really wanted to say. And shut up all rap artists.
Except for Snoop Dog.

drop it like it's hot. [Wink]

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Leaf:

Here's what you said.

quote:
I hope his career suffers from his poor timing and 'everyone's against us' attitude, but I know that his target audience loved it... and he will only get more fame. Everyone who hated him before still does, only more. He doesnt care though. He's laughing at the hate all the way to the bank, in his mercedes.. stretch limo... with platinum diamond rims....
Here's what I said.

quote:
I'm well aware you know that his career won't tank. My response was pointing out that by even talking about him, you're actively helping his career NOT tank, which is working against what you "hope" for - which I find silly.

Also, if YOU had read any of the OTHER posts on this thread, you would recognize that my response was directed at several other posts on the thread - so many that I didn't bother quoting them. I apologize if that confused you. I assumed that you would recognize that because the first four paragraphs had nothing to do with your post, you would assume I wasn't talking about you, not that I was trying to put words in your mouth.

I won't assume any such things in the future. That's how I'll deal with your opinion.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

werd. That's hot

[Big Grin] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [Big Grin]

Oh H.rackers.....

Let's not be mean. sorry on my part.

p.s.

Ray Nagin > Kanye West.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Kanye has a better chance of winning a Grammy than Ray Nagin does however.
Leaf
Member # 7880

I think so too. But I think Ray Nagin is way cooler... and has a better chance of moving up and being good politically. Anyone else hear that interview on the radio station LLW or something in it's entirety? Good stuff. Good stuff indeed. If no one has heard it... I can provide linkage.. but later on tonight. (I am at work right now)
-leaf

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I linked it in: Ray Nagin vs. Rudy Giuliani

I'd love to see him move up to a higher office. He's a straight shooter.

Leaf
Member # 7880

cool. Everyone check that out. RIGHT NOW
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm with Stroman, never heard his name before I read this thread.

Well, in all fairness, neither you nor Chad are in West's core demo.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Well, in all fairness, neither you nor Chad are in West's core demo. [/QB]

haha.... [ROFL] gg
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
after watching the clip, I think it was Kanye's call for black people to help black people.

meaning "black people we need y'all to help black people" because "George W. Bush doesn't like black people".

Remember, in the 2000 election, 90% of black people didn't vote for the men, so kanye was a black man talking to black people, and now you have white people telling a black man to shut up on a predominatly white forum.

quote:
Have black people been good and fair to America?
Pre-slavery, or Post slavery?

Pre-3/5ths human or Post 3/5's human?

Pre right to vote or post right to vote?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
meaning "black people we need y'all to help black people" because "George W. Bush doesn't like black people".
Assuming that Kanye's an intelligent man, do you think that he was unaware these comments would provoke controversy?
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I know pretty much nothing about Kanye West, besides the fact that he is a celebrity in the music world.

My feeling about this whole tempest in a teapot is that George Bush is not so much racist as he is classist. So, Kanye West probably made a statement that was not factually true. But it was abundantly clear that Mr. West was quite upset about what has been going on in New Orleans, and sometimes people say things that feel emotionally true but are not factually true when they are upset. And, even though I'm as white as they come, I can see how it might seem to people of color that there are racist overtones to the unconscionably long amount of time it took to get the federal government mobilized to take care of this emergency.

So, I feel inclined to cut Kanye West a break on this one.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead...I won't, but then again while I don't dislike his music I wasn't going to go out and buy his CD either. I did enjoy him at the Grammys, but that doesn't mean I think he has a clue, sitting in his limo covered in gold.

We MUST be racist, since no one black can succeed in this country.

Wait a second....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
I'll take that as a compliment.

Thank you.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by CStroman:
quote:
I'll take that as a compliment.

Thank you.

That comment almost makes me wish I was.......

Almost.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Hehe.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I went to a friends BBQ,

there were 2 white guys (I was one of them), 2 black guys, 2 Indian Guys, 6 asian guys and 3 asian girls.

All of us took Kanye's side.

fo shizzle.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

All that proves is that idiocy knows no racial boundary.

I already knew that.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask the question whether Bush can really be considered racist. I did a search and Bingo! There had already been a thread. Love it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think he is racist at all. I think he is classist however.
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
"All that proves is that idiocy knows no racial boundary.

I already knew that."

[ROFL]

Oh that was mean-evil but awesome! I cracked up, thanks Kwea.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally disagree with Kanye. Sure we have freedom of speech but that was deffinately the wrong place at the wrong time.

He can think what he wants about Bush, whatever, but to make public statements saying that people were ordered to shoot black people is completely unacceptable.

Plus, the mayor of NO is black, and it was his responsibility to evacuate the citizens of the city. He had plenty of school busses at his disposal he could have used to evacuate those who were unable to evacuate themselves. Did Kanye make any statements about that???

Celeberties just need to think before they make public statements like that.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd say that people in general need to think before they make any sort of public statement at all. If Bush can't, I don't expect much better of anyone else.

But in reality, it was the heat of the moment and he was upset. Yes he showed poor judgement, but somewhere in there were good intentions.

Kwea
Member # 2199

NO problem... [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.