FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh Canada! The nation with a little work will be effed up the least! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oh Canada! The nation with a little work will be effed up the least!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Both your countries suck.

Could we please make an exeption for the state of New Jersey?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm, no.

New Jersey actually passed at the front of the line along with Saskatchewan and Arkansas.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What the rest of the world considers a decent-sized house is the space that an American uses for storing junk "too good to just throw away".

I'll thank you not to refer to my daughter that way.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
lol tom.

When an american finish drilling your army goes yeah ok your done, when a canadian finishes our army goes "okay? Good keep drilling"

It's common practice in US forces I believe to specialize in a task, in the Canadian Armed forces soliders are trained in mulitple skills to reduce the possibility of mission failure.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(Would it be crass to slide away into another car on the train? No offense to Blayne, but although I'm a staunch supporter of the True North, I'm not quite on the same track as you. *rueful look)
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
What I like is that Canandians are always calling Americans self-important Nationanlists. At the same time, Canadians do this by acting like self-righteous Communists. It is strange to hear a Canadian defending his country like the proverbial pompous American.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, is Canada even its own country? Isn't there still some kind of relationship to the UK?
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*head in hands, again

[Wink]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, Teshi, apparently, this actually did happen. I wasn't there, so I'm no witness, but it is reported to have happened on 24 August 1814.
I know it happened. I'm not talking about his facts but about his presentation.

*ignores the "Canada is communist" joke*
*and the "is Canada its own country" joke*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
lol tom.

When an american finish drilling your army goes yeah ok your done, when a canadian finishes our army goes "okay? Good keep drilling"

OK. Somebody help me. Does anyone here understand what Blayne is trying to say? And let's have a show of hands: Who thinks that his name is really "Blaine", but he spelled it wrong?
[Wave]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be 18, so I thought I knew everything too, especially in matters dealing with America.

Anyway, I think what Blayne is saying is that when American troops are drilling, they don't don't do more than they need to, while Canadian troops keep on going. I don't think I clarified it.

I think that Blayne is wrong for a number of factual reasons. For or against Iraq right now, what other military could have toppled a stable government in a month with the losses as minimal as they were at the time? Who else could have crushed the Taliban? Well I suppose anyone. The Taliban was weak.

Blayne, do you really think American troops don't train for extreme winter fighting? And how could outnumbered Canadian troops push Americans back toward Missippi?

*baffled that I am in a discussion about warring with Canada*

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

We have a General Governor, technically I think it used ot be that when we made a new law the Queen would confirm it. I forget if that was the British North America Act or something else.

Now another reason why I love my country is because we are so polite. I asked England nicely is we could have our own country you guys grabed any gun you could and banged away at anything in red. Sheesh.

And of course we could push America back all we have to do is arm our beavers and polar bears.

And reader you did a good job clarifying me.

And my name is really Blayne not the pokemon gym teacher way of spelling in. B-L-A-Y-N-E SPACE B-R-A-D-L-E-Y [Mad]

Back to the outnumbered question:

Alexander was outnumbered, Napoleon was constantly outnummbered, Germany was outnumbered and reached the Volga, and once more in 1812 Canada was drastically outnumbered as well.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
So all Canada needs is one of the greatest military minds to come along and they're set!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
And of course we could push America back all we have to do is arm our beavers and polar bears.

And my name is really Blayne not the pokemon gym teacher way of spelling in. B-L-A-Y-N-E SPACE B-R-A-D-L-E-Y [Mad]

Back to the outnumbered question:

Alexander was outnumbered, Napoleon was constantly outnummbered, Germany was outnumbered and reached the Volga, and once more in 1812 Canada was drastically outnumbered as well.

You forget that the U.S. wasn't a major military power during the War of 1812, whereas England was; we were fighting both of you at the time, so the fact that the White House was burned isn't quite so impressive a feat.

All the same, I must say...beavers and polar bears and pokemon, oh my!

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I asked England nicely is we could have our own country you guys grabed any gun you could and banged away at anything in red.
I just wanted to preserve this little nugget in case it got edited.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Now another reason why I love my country is because we are so polite.

And you are a prime example of this?

quote:
I asked England nicely is we could have our own country you guys grabed any gun you could and banged away at anything in red.
You personally are responsible for Canada's independance?

I will let someone else address the rest. Too funny for words. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
mph: [Big Grin]

quote:
Hey Tom we burned down the White house dispite the fact that you were an enourmously bigger country back then too
quote:
You forget that the U.S. wasn't a major military power during the War of 1812, whereas England was; we were fighting both of you at the time, so the fact that the White House was burned isn't quite so impressive a feat.
Two words: Fort McHenry. [Razz]

/go Maryland! [Wink]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

woops I meant "we". I'm not that old.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now another reason why I love my country is because we are so polite.
I hope you aren't including yourself in this "we", because I don't see much politeness from you.

Look, if America wanted something of Canada's they wouldn't invade, not without a good excuse like Canada's creation of nuclear weapons. There would be a little bit of backroom politics and a few economic bribes and Canada would either say "no" or say "yes".

Military all-out war is not the only way to gain control of or power over a country!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now another reason why I love my country is because we are so polite. I asked England nicely is we could have our own country you guys grabed any gun you could and banged away at anything in red. Sheesh.
General tyranny can result in a revolution. I seem to recall that the British pushed taxes on the colonies, higher than what many colonists wanted to or could pay. The British also had a tendency to repress certain Christian sects because the Crown said to do so. In addition, there was oppression of free speech and the press. I could go on, but I would recommend that you read our Declaration of Independence for more damning accusations.

By the way, the British didn't care as much about Canada as it did India. India was the crown jewel of the empire. When Canada asked to go, Britain effectively said "fine, go." because it needed India, but not Canada. This doesn't downgrade the importance of Canadian independence. It deserved it much as any other British colony, but I think you, Blayne, need some perspective before you start believing editorial propaganda about Canada's alleged moral superiority.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And explain where I get this so called editorial propoganda, as far as you know I only read Hatrack, is thus by your logic Hatrack propoganda?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like arguing with a sixth grader. Not saying you are a sixth grader, Blayne - just that you write like one.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah? Well he's rubber and you're glue. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, please. You're embarrassing us.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I call it fools syndrom, writes a comment that is generally non threatening, someone else responds in a challenging fashion so that Party A has to respond swiftly yet stupidly and when called on it forces Party A to continue not only defending his point past its expiration date but to do so indefinatly againt ever increasing opposition just to save face.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't explain the bad grammar and spelling.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Maybe that's because the American military, when it's finished drilling, does something. [Wink] Not that this is always a good thing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know it happened. I'm not talking about his facts but about his presentation.

Got it. And I'm right there with you.

One more time - this peron and his/her/its arguments are NOT representative of all Canadians everywhere. I would even go so far as to hazard a guess that he/she/it does not represent the attitudes of even most, some, or a few Canadians.

That is all. You may carry on now.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Whoo Hoo! Carrying On!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually its a hodge podge of other's people's views.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, it's something all right.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

wow, there are like a whole 10 things that I think are that something
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
... it forces Party A to continue not only defending his point past its expiration date but to do so indefinatly againt ever increasing opposition just to save face.
Not worth it, Blayne. Seriously.

Saving face is way overrated. Be accurate about the things you know, frank about what is speculation, and humble about your errors. Less face, more character. [Smile]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The Party is always right, the Internal Counter terrorism Force will arrest you within due time for crimes against my Ego.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Leggo my Ego.

[Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that what I was holding?! It's squishy! >_<

*leggos*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've never had my ego or leggos described as squishy before...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*primly* I was holding CT's ego.

I don't touch boy egos. They have cooties.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

nooooo our ultra secret plan to give boy cooties to girls has failed! now we can mind control them. [Frown]
The Reader
Member # 3636

quote:
And explain where I get this so called editorial propoganda, as far as you know I only read Hatrack, is thus by your logic Hatrack propoganda?
I'm going to respond to this because it is the post with clear grammar.

Why would you think that I would assume that you only read Hatrack? I don't know what else you read, but it would be pretty dumb of me to think that Hatrack is your only material. I do assume that you read Canadian newspapers and magazines, because it would make sense for a Canadian to so.

It was an overstatement to use "propaganda", but you still are clearly parroting the assertions of much of the Canadian media that it is a morally superior country. It's relative (relativistic patriotism?) anyway because both nations hold different beliefs about what makes us "good."

I'm rubber, you're glue... Nah nah nah! [Razz]

Occasional
Member # 5860

I think that the U.S. going to war with Canada is far less unbelievable than it was ten years ago. Fundimental beliefs about each other and ourselves has drastically changed to the point of becoming luke warm partners. I think all it would take is a disagreement about trade that increases the already bad feelings both governments have seemed to express.

Now, this might be another ten or fifteen years down the road if things don't change. But, I can see it getting to the point of at least embargo and rediculous trade rules against each other.

Surprisingly, I don't see the same thing happening between Mexico and the U.S. Perhaps its because I don't see the U.S. and Mexico as having such historically close ties, and therefore less is threatened.

dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
What an incredibly stupid thread. Who is this troll who started it?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a baby troll, just testing his shaky legs.

They're kinda cute at that age, but a bit noisy.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's Sid Meier, in his new clothing.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I feel like tearing the head off of several care bears right now.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, to be honest, I find Canadian nationalism kind of cute.
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about Canada and I've never been there.

quote:
General tyranny can result in a revolution. I seem to recall that the British pushed taxes on the colonies, higher than what many colonists wanted to or could pay. The British also had a tendency to repress certain Christian sects because the Crown said to do so. In addition, there was oppression of free speech and the press. I could go on, but I would recommend that you read our Declaration of Independence for more damning accusations.
New Declaration of Independence anyone?
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stop laughing at this thread. It's just...just...Well, I know most of you already know what I'm trying to say.

Keep up the good work Blayne! You can only go uphill from here.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think of Canada as our brother. I see no reason to complete. We are on the same path and have for the most part the same culture.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Except for those darned Francophones!

They're all...french-like...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.