FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh Canada! The nation with a little work will be effed up the least! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Oh Canada! The nation with a little work will be effed up the least!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We are on the same path and have for the most part the same culture.
I've got to disagree with you there. Canada has not shared with us many of the events that have really shaped America: the revolution, the civil war, becoming a superpower after WWII, the civil rights movement, etc..
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
While the two countries have not shared in the specific events that helped shaped each nation, both have turned out rather similar. Sure, Canada is more liberal and the US is more conservative (at this time, and politically speaking), but there aren't really that many differences.

There's certainly no other place a citizen of either country could go to that would feel as much like "home" while still being a different country.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
We're less gun crazy, 11 million guns and yet only ~200 gun deaths per year.

Also we pronounce words differently and spell em differently, Labour, colour, etc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I could go to Italy and feel more at home than Canada. . . [Smile]
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

You may be able to, but the average American wouldn't.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How much of that is because the avearage American is monolingual?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I just keep thinking....
But your Canada....no one else cares except you

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
How much of that is because the avearage American is monolingual?

A great deal, I'm sure.
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that much, actually.

I doubt the average American would feel as at home in Britain as he/she would in Canada.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I thought about that, too. But atleast some of that could be attributed to languages in Europe - there's a lot more languages spoken in Britain than in Canada.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I think I'd feel more at home in Canada than Britain or Australia. I think Canada/USA culture is closer when compared to those.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Having been to both Canada and England, I feel more at home in England. But, then, I kind of prefer England to the States, so YMMV.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe nobody's gone all Bob & Doug MacKenzie in this thread yet. There's a mouse in my beer, eh.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya Brit-lover. [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Take off, ya hoser!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Canadians are kind of like mimes, you want to hit them but would feel too guilty doing so because, Christ, they're already a mime.

Edit: Although Canadians are kind of all talk and no action, kind of like a Bizzaro world mime.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Where the hell do you get that impression from?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL, aren't you dissing a group of which you are a member?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was all the rage these days.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.