FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It was only a matter of time before Michael Moore chimed in. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: It was only a matter of time before Michael Moore chimed in.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

I just dislike extremists on either side.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of venom there from a fellow who wouldn't give the President an even break no matter what.

But it doesn't mean that there's no truth in what he's saying. This time, at least.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adam613:
Michael Moore has quite the racket going. He gets PAID to TROLL.

Even though I tend to agree with Moore more than Bush (not on everything, but a lot), that is a totally awesome description of his style.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
woah, nice.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that true that he flew to San Francisco the next day for a fundraiser?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
He does have a point about the choppers, and the National Guard, and the budget cuts for the Army Corps of Engineers.

But it's still a classless letter, about class, with very bad timing. [Frown]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
<Removed --PJ.>

[ September 04, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I don't understand how you can think it's acceptable to post what you just did.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Especially since half of America agree's with him. So only Georgia, Texas, Kentucky, Alabama, Florida, Luoisiana, Virginia and a few others would agree with you.
CStroman
Member # 6872

Oh come on! I'm not talking about his "followers" as people who may share some of his ideals. I'm talking about his followers in the "religious sense" who hold Michael Moore up as their Osama bin Laden and bringer of truth, etc. etc. The extremists that as far as I know aren't part of this board.

And 50% of Americans do not agree with him on all of his opinions.

SO please understand, I'm talking about Michael Moore specifically and only him. I'm not talking about anyone on this board directly or indirectly. If you felt that I was including you I apologize and will remove the followers line.

Sorry.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Oh, so you only urge a small percentage of Americans, that happen to disagree with you, to blast themselves. How refreshing, I feel much better.

At least Michael didn't have the ridiculous monomania to sign his letter "America." [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Michael Moore's version of truth is often a bit peculiar, however, his point about the National Guard is right on.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I still think your post is in incredibly bad taste with or without the followers part. How would you feel if someone posted the same thing but substituted your name for Michael Moore's? Can you not disagree with someone without wanting them dead?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Shouldn't it be more of a murder suicide pact with Ann Coulter?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you.
No really, like who Michael Moore? Only an idiot would do that?

I think he needed to put down his pen and think twice before he wrote that, but thinking as we know isn't one of Michael's strongpoints.

Morbo
Member # 5309

[ROFL]
Lryhawn, I vote for Phelps to join the pact. His followers should just shut up and go home.

Although, that would involve Phelps in a pact with another man, so that's out. He's slippery!

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Lryhawn, I vote for Phelps to join the pact. His followers should just shut up and go home.

I agree.
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Chad, I still think your post is in incredibly bad taste with or without the followers part. How would you feel if someone posted the same thing but substituted your name for Michael Moore's?
I wouldn't really care I don't think. I think it's akin to posting something negative about the President of the United States or wishing he was dead, how would YOU feel? I'm sure people keep in mind President Bush's feelings when they post their opinions on him.

Sorry, I don't want him dead, just America would be better off without him. And lefties as well as he makes them look sooo bad.

But the Phelps comparison is a good one.

Michael Moore = Lefty's Phelps.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
CStroman, chill. Please. You're giving anti-mooreites a bad name.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CStroman:
quote:
There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you.
No really, like who Michael Moore? Only an idiot would do that?

I think he needed to put down his pen and think twice before he wrote that, but thinking as we know isn't one of Michael's strongpoints.

Strohman: It's called sarcasm. DUH.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

quote:
I think it's akin to posting something negative about the President of the United States or wishing he was dead, how would YOU feel?
Saying something negative about someone is NOT the same as saying he should put a gun to his head and kill himself. If someone said the same thing you did about George W. Bush, I would feel about it exactly what I do about your post.

quote:
Sorry, I don't want him dead, just America would be better off without him.
Why did you say he should kill himself if you don't want him dead?

quote:
Michael Moore = Lefty's Phelps
Did you read the Addicted to Hate website that was linked to in one of the threads about Phelps? Michael Moore is in no way as bad as Phelps.
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
You're giving anti-mooreites a bad name.
You're just being nice with the "anti-mooreites" name.

But it is nicer than the name I had for the "pro-mooreites" so you win.

CStroman
Member # 6872

I thought "Addicted to Hate" was the slugline for Moore's website?

My bad.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, you are indeed over the line. Please rein in your enthusiasm.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I find that Moore gives good points among alot of badly put together stuff sometimes, COlunbine atleast was better then 9/11 in that regard.

But still alot of stuff mentioned is undenyable. He gives the evidence as he sees it with certain sources and leaves it to us to piece it together, my brother though Moore was trying to accuse Bush as being a terrorist, I just simply though that Moore s trying to make Bush seem like President Clarke from Babyoon 5 y'know trying to take over the government.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Columbine was more an assault on the media than it was on the NRA and Bush.

In that regard, I thought Bowling for Columbine was fantastic.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, wish there were more rescue helicopters to shoot at.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

With Soviet RPG's!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Why Soviet RPGs?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble was, Bowling for Columbine was a piece of hack propaganda. Moore does a serious disservice to his causes by making it so easy for his detractors to label him a jackass.

The media is sensationalistic in America. That point could have been made without blatantly editing Charlton Heston until he's a sock-puppet.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I ignored a lot of that when I watched it. I know not everyone can, but I was more focused on the point he was trying to make about the media. Much of the news footage he used is from Detroit, it's the same news that I watch every night. I recognized almost all the anchors on the clips he showed. And his point is exactly why I don't watch the local news anymore.
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
"But it doesn't mean that there's no truth in what he's saying."

Yes, he has a few points. But I really do NOT like extremists. I hate how people are saying Bush committed a mass murder. Pffft. Wow.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think Bush senoir did more to commit mass murder then Dubya did. Y'know not stepping to stop the gassing of Khurds, bombing of infastructure which hurt the populace more then Iraq's war effort, telling Iraqi's to revolt yet not doing anything to help the Iraqi's when they did etc etc.

As for Bowling I've found that actually a large majority of that movie was okay and raised many interesting questions.

Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by johnsonweed:
Michael Moore's version of truth is often a bit peculiar, however, his point about the National Guard is right on.

His comment about the National Guard was only half-right. The part that was wrong was placing the blame on the feds, because it's the state that has to mobilize their National Guard detachment.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What's left of it.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this e-mailed to me, too. Does anyone really know where it came from? I saw no proof it was actually MM, nor was it attributed to any source.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty easy to verify: Mike's site.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eldrad:
The part that was wrong was placing the blame on the feds, because it's the state that has to mobilize their National Guard detachment.

I've always been under the impression that it is the President's right to federalize the National Guard whenever he deems it necessary, enabling them to go in even if the state has not mobilized them.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

No, I think the governors have to request NG mobilization.

And the regular military is constrained inside the US.

The part about the Guard that Moore was right about is that they and their choppers (I assume they took lots of helos) are in Iraq. 1/3 of LA's Guard is in Iraq.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
No, I think the governors have to request NG mobilization.

And the regular military is constrained inside the US.

The part about the Guard that Moore was right about is that they and their choppers (I assume they took lots of helos) are in Iraq. 1/3 of LA's Guard is in Iraq.

Not completly, or most of the Guard wouldn't be over in Iraq. The Gov's have to give the order to use them WITHIN OUR BORDERS, for the most part.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how in Moore's version of reality, Bush actually CAUSED the storm by not instantly halting global warming and transforming the world's environment in five years [Smile] Heck, if Bush would just get off his ass and engineer us a perfect environment, there'd never be another hurricane again!
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Not completly, or most of the Guard wouldn't be over in Iraq. The Gov's have to give the order to use them WITHIN OUR BORDERS, for the most part.
That is true. The Governor of a state has to authorize the National Guard NOT from their state to be able to enter it.

I truly believe had Bush just sent in the National Guard without authorization, the people shot today would have been chalked up politically as "Bush's Army Invades New Orleans with Orders: Shoot to Kill!".

Political pundits and media will spin or bend anything the president does to their political gain. The DNC led the charge with their website, and of course the Media took the cue.

Just try and look up stories of survival and rescue on Michael Moore's website.

HINT: They don't exist although the stories do.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, I don't understand why you keep sticking on this. The President cannot order National Guards to do things in their home state. He is not their commander. It's the military. Just because something appears likely to make sense doesn't mean you get to just yank control from the commander.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY GOD! Moore actually has a following? I'm sure he'll make more money now for rhetoric!

The Mayor should have requested NG to his Governor .. NOT THE PRESIDENT@!!@#$#@$#@$(*

The state has to ask for the NG to be activated.. not the federal government! The Mayor didn't do this nor did the govenor! The LA NG didn't show up until Today! Texas showed up before their state did!

Yall need to get a grip on what the NG is and who activates them!

I'm so sick of everyone blaming the federal government for what the Mayor and State should have done! If it weren't for the feds overstepping their boundries, N.O. would still be in chaos!

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
*feels like a VERY small minority who loves Michael Moore*
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Wow, you actually love him? Ok. Suprising, but by your other post understandable.
Treason
Member # 7587

AND I'm Libertarian! Weird huh?
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

No, not weird.
Treason
Member # 7587

I think it's weird for someone who is against government intervention in every facet of out lives to love a man who often pleads for more of it, but ok.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.