FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thor home safe at moms drinking margaritas during Rita. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Thor home safe at moms drinking margaritas during Rita.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
early morning...

Yeah.

A Cat 4 hurricance may hit my city.

I'm too poor to get out of dodge.

ride out the storm.

yo

Thor

Early Afternoon,

A Category 5 hurricane may hit my city.

Craziness is in the air.

most people are leaving

some are not

3 million people taking to the hi way

wow

it all feels a bit biblical

whoa

Godbless everyone,
even the dorkknight

[ September 23, 2005, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: The Silverblue Sun ]

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Eek.
Good luck, Thor.
Where are you at?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the store and buy a lot of those super-absorbent diapers. Stack them around the outside of an interior room and set up an inflatable bed within this protective barrier on which to sleep and/or float.

Fill several gallon jugs with drinking water.

Purchase several packages of beef jerky.

Get salt tablets and vitamins.

Wear something bright yellow.

Then start a blog.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
i spoke too soon.

love is coming out of the woodwork.
(except for here at hatrack where just under 50% of people here wish for the death of non-conservatives)

looks like i may be leaving towards dallas soon

and taking lots of people with me

my mom lives on 50 acres in a 12 bedroom house, and a guest house.

wow.

this is freaky.

T

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
except for here at hatrack where just under 50% of people here wish for the death of non-conservatives
Nothing like a little hate rhetoric to start the day.
Be safe, and put everything you can up as high as you can before you go.

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you are getting out of harm's way, Silverblue.

FG

(I had heard they were providing public transportation for those too poor to leave?)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope your day continues to improve, Thor.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Yo! DorkKnight!

Republican pig puncher!

There is a difference between anger
and hate.

I don't hate anyone,
but some of y'all really
piss me off.

Hurricane Landing Today I'm inSane.

I quit smokes 15 days ago.

Real close to buying a pack.

Traffic is going to be mad.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do it, Thor!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe, and please stop lying about us.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe, Thor.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

ok. Dagonee
please stop space age monkees
from eternal funky of bunkola

we have a deal?

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Republican Pig Puncher? I'm just going to assume that is some kind of insult I don't really get...

Do try to leave early and fill the gas tank as soon as you can. Traffic will be a nightmare, plan out an alternate route if you can. Take some maps with you.

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

our government's planning ain's so hot

i've been bitching about a bad situation for about two years now.

There is about a 3 mile stretch of ONE LANE highway between the only many road between Dallas and Houston.

Thank about that.

Bad.
Government.
Planning.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun. And of course on one lane highways, you always get stuck behind a slow-moving semi ten minutes into your trip.

Hm. Maybe I should research this phenomenon.

I recommend bringing lots of CDs that make you smile as you drive. If you're going to be in the car a long time, you may as well have good music to listen to.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Sounds like my last trip to Dallas [Smile] So much construction (on Memorial Day weekend, no less) that it was one-lane for miles at a time.

But then again, I have no suggestions as to how they can otherwise do construction and improvements.

I saw some of the "Exodus" on TV during my lunch hour. How come they don't open all lanes to outbound (change the inbound lanes to outbound) like they do in Florida?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Good idea, farmgirl.

One of my best friends and his mom are staying.

I'm waiting to find out what my girlfriend is doing. At this point it's up to her parents, unless I kidnap her. I'd like her to go with me to Dallas, but her parents still have say over her. I hope they make good plans.

I'm probably going to leave about midnight to 2 am. if i leave, if my girlfriend stays, i will have to stay.

yo.

Godbless Everyone,
even Dagonee.

News channels just said "worst hurricane ever"

whoa.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

So this is Wednesday -- it is supposed to hit when? By Saturday?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think American roads are bad, you should try driving in southern Britain on any given day.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor I hope you get out of town and to someplace safe. Maybe as it gets closer and the predictions get more dire your girlfriends parents will also realize the need to evacuate and will leave.

Good luck.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Just upgraded to Category 5 right now.

Heck of a storm....

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
From the NOAA Hurricane Center, Rita is now a category 5 Storm.

quote:
HURRICANE RITA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
255 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

DATA FROM RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT RITA HAS REACHED
CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY WITH ESTIMATED MAXIMUM SUSTAINED SURFACE
WINDS OF 165 MPH. THIS WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE 4 PM CDT ADVISORY.

I'm glad you're getting out of town Thor. Best wishes and prayers for all of you in Rita's path.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Thor, I just now read that you may not be getting out of town. Bad idea!!! This will likely be stronger than Katrina when it hits land. If you have to kidnap your girl friend to take her out of harms way, do it.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
So who in New Orleans offended the weather gods? The Katrina evacuees are being stalked.

Hmm...time to e-mail my aunts in Houston.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiro1000
Member # 6905

- posted      Profile for hiro1000   Email hiro1000         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow hmmm seems like where i live (Florida) we have dodged all the major storms.... at least until now.....
Posts: 37 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is it now a five, they are predicting even further strengthening over the next 24 hours. [Eek!]

This is a baddie, maybe even worse than Katrina, hard as that might be to believe.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

When the Hurricane hits...

..the temperature here will be 100 degrees.

wow.

Are y'all watching the news?

I'm scared to get on the highway.

Stations are already running out of gas and with traffic not moving, cars are burning lots of fuel without moving.

i'm still planning to leave at about midnight.

I REALLY, REALLY want to buy a pack of smokes.

My girlfriend and mom say no.

My spider sense, seventh sense and Jedi sense are all tingling, this really is all very biblical.

Prayers!

God Bless Everyone!

T

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Work just called to tell me i'm on personal time until the storm hits, then if the Gov. orders an emergency situation, i get paid.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I really want a cigarette.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silverblue Sun:
Work just called to tell me i'm on personal time until the storm hits, then if the Gov. orders an emergency situation, i get paid.

That seems pretty cheap of them. Do you work someplace that would even be open when most people are evacuating the city? I guess I could see someplace like a gas station or grocery store needing staff so people can get gas to evacuate or food to hole up.

You don't want a cigarette. You want a nice place to be high and dry till this is over.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and thoughts to you and yours.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Hey Thor, Hold out on the cigarette. If you can, it will be psychologically and spiritually very powerful.

Just keep telling yourself, If you can make it through Hurricane Rita without a smoke, you can make it through anything.

You are stong.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay safe Thor. I'll be thinking of you.

Oh, and Rabbit has a great point about the power of not giving in to your craving for a cigarette right now.

Have your girlfriend's parents relented and let her go with you yet? Out of curiosity, how old is she?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] My thoughts and prayers are with you.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Don't lose faith in me if I smoke.

I vowed to stop when I see my girl again.

This is really, really freaky.

The city is going nuts.

Gas stations are running out of gas all over the city.

Now i'm 50% staying.

50% leaving.

Right now it's a 14 hour drive to Dallas which is usally a 4 1/2 hour drive, and gas stations are running out of gas along the way, and it's only supposed to get worse with every minute.

There is already talk of the looting problem, logical fears are that it will be much worse than New Orleans.

Houston is a beast of a city, with more guns than any other city, it could be scary here.

I've got a nice katana to keep me safe.

oh man.

this is nuts.

i'm scared to drive now.

how many tanks of gas would it take to travel for 14 hours? Can my 1984 dodge handle that?

oh wow.

my mom has a flight out for me on Southwest airlines tomorrow night at 10pm, but they may cancel the flights.

this is all minute to minute

Go With God.

oh wow.

they say over 165 mph winds will reach as high as 150 miles inland of texas.

thanks for the prayers

i love all you guys.

T

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

mom and step dad gave me an alternate route

to get to dallas

hoping that would be better

but advise me to

GET OUT

so now

I may leave at 2am.

Lord, Help us All.

God Bless Everyone

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

quote:
Have your girlfriend's parents relented and let her go with you yet? Out of curiosity, how old is she?
My girlfriend's parents came to their senses and loaded their car up and took off an hour ago.

She is 18.

She's also the best girlfriend in the world.

yes i love you
i'll keep trying
diamonds sparkle
colors thriving
timeless travel
road less taken
Yes. I love you.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

"light up, light up
like you had a choice.
even if cannot hear my voice
i'll be right beside you dear"
- snowpatrol

oh, how i love that song

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Oh.

And.

Can you get those STUPID sitcoms off my TV?

I want ALL NEWS.

Escape routes, updates.

Come on, people.

Let's think this one through.

pooka
Member # 5003

Weird, I thought I posted a hug for you.
(((Thor)))

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, please find a way to get out. Find a way. Once it hits there won't be any way to leave, even when you realize oh my word you should have gone.

My prayers are with you.

Oh, and forget the smokes. If this is your last day on earth, you deserve to greet the next world knowing you didn't cave in.

Spiritual power comes from choosing to do what you know is right. Spiritual weakness come from choosing things you know aren't right. Choose the power. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Glad to hear that she's safely away. I hope that you take that alternate route--seems like a better idea than waiting on the flight.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

flights a no go now

it's drive or stay

and pray

my truck makes it

and

gas don't run out or go to 10.00 a gallon

i only got 49 dollars in my wallet

Oh, Lord.

And toss me into the fire if you must, i've already had a smoke. This is toooo nerve racking for me. It's all insanity all the time, no real good options.

this is like being in a sci-fi film.

most likely leaning towards leaving at 2am.

scared of alternate routes

cannot afford to get lost

REALLY wish news was on telling us best highways, drive times, and such.

they are dropping the ball at this point

ALL local programing has been basic prime
sitcoms and CSI since 7pm.

I've only got 5 hours to decide.

i love you all

God Bless Everyone!

i'm trying to record a hurricane song
and put it up before i go

yo

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Thor.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thor, go. If your car breaks down or runs out of gas on the way, at least you won't be in the middle of a flood, or in the midst of lawlessness when it happens. Seriously man, I think it would be a mistake to stay.

Don't worry about the cigarette. I was hoping you'd hold out, but I certainly don't think any less of you for having given in. You can always quit tomorrow. Or even right now. It's not as though by smoking that cigarette you made an irrevocable choice or something.

I wish that there were some way to wire you some money, but I can't think of anything that would get you the money before you had to get out of there. Can you?

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

i'm probably out in a few hours

hope 40 bucks will hold

and got a little in the bank,
a very little

wow

this is so trippy

like a 4 hour departure

keep hoping to hear from my girlfriend on her cellphone, but all circuits have been totally busy.

i don't have a stupid cell phone.

dang.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Thor, check your email.
pooka
Member # 5003

Why 2 am, if I could ask? 2 am is when the body's stress hormones are at their peak. You might think that it would be less busy at that time, but a lot of other people could suddenly decide to bolt at that time. If you must wait until 2, leave on time. 2 am is also the time most likely to get in a car accident, mainly from folks falling asleep.

Do you have a 72 hour kit or anything like that to take in your car? Basically, some food that doesn't need cooking? can opener? radio with batteries?

Noemon
Member # 1115

Water?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mail sent to mjolirin@aol.com seems to be bouncing, FYI. I'm getting a user unknown error.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.