FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well. I guess it's official. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Well. I guess it's official.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, IUDs have changed a LOT in the past 10-20 years. Many different types available. Ask your mom what kind hers was.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I can ask her if she remembers, although she may not, since she had a hysterectomy after my brother and he's now 19. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just drifting back through memory lane, on page 3 of the forum, and came across this delightful tidbit:
quote:
originally posted by ketchupqueen
posted September 22, 2005 05:43 PM

I'm eating chili straight out of the can. Just a spoonful while my bowl heats.

I seem to get over the nausea and get ravenous in the afternoon lately.

(I am so not pregnant!)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really thought it was just a tummy bug. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Your strident, repeated denials made me think you suspected more. [Wink]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My ob/gyn actually gave me a bunch of info on IUDs the last time I visited (my body is really touchy when it comes to any sort of medication, so finding the right BC pill, patch, or one ring has been...interesting). And yes, they're much, much different.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, imogen. Maybe I really hoped it was a tummy bug.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen, I'll be praying for your family. Good luck finding the health care you need, and I hope that this baby brings you joy.

Is there anything we can do to help you out? I see that the google masters have come up with some resources already. Do you have all the baby paraphernalia (clothes, bottles, etc) that you need?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We didn't tell anyone that Ems was a girl before she was born, so we have plenty of gender-neutral clothes through size 6 months or so. If it's a girl, of course we have oodles of girl clothes, too. We've got blankets galore, a bassinet and sheets, even our crib sheets are gender-neutral (we're planning on moving Emma to a crib mattress on the floor before the baby is born-- she'll be two-- and buying another mattress, so our total bedding cost will be about $60. We'll have room to sleep two in her room if we move a few pieces of furniture and such and store the mattress she sleeps on like a trundle under the crib during the day. We were planning on transitioning her to a mattress on the floor when she outgrows her crib, anyway, for safety reasons. If she's not ready to give up the crib, then the baby can sleep in the portacrib for a while when s/he outgrows the bassinet.) We've got bottles and sippy cups galore, although I breastfeed and can't pump-- mastitis every time I tried-- so for the first few months the only time a bottle got given was when we went to the movies and dinner on a date night or something. We have books, toys, a tummy-time play mat with attached toys for before baby can prop him/herself up, and even a Emma-sized rocking chair so she can rock her Baby while I rock mine. [Smile] Our families and friends were incredibly generous and pretty much set us up for a lifetime of babies when she was born! I guess that it's better to have the second baby be a surprise than the first, huh? [Smile]

(But I'm glad I didn't box and seal up all those maternity and nursing clothes I just put away!)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, by the way, have I mentioned that my husband is wonderful?

If he has doubts, he doesn't show them. He admits to a little fear and anxiety, but expresses his faith that it will be okay, and that I can handle it. He's willing to talk or not talk about it as I need to, and he tries to cheer me up and reassure me besides.

Tonight he made cookies because the cookie jar was empty-- and brought me a special, heart-shaped one straight from the oven as a surprise. [Kiss]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww. You're very lucky, kq.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
[QUOTE]I tend to follow my mother's pattern on many reproductive issues, and she had severe cramping and bleeding with an IUD, which is not something I'm willing to risk any more than a stroke is. >_< Ask quid about why, she understands.

Uh, yep. I missed church yesterday, and Fahim had to help me up and down stairs, and that was AFTER I took ketchupqueen's miracle drugs, which actually did help significantly. (Thanks, again, kq!) I'm finally better this evening. Yay!

Congrats, kq. I'm happy for you, and I can imagine the emotional turmoil. Good luck and take care.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Have you read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"? It helped, er.... somewhat on the spacing.

It looks like that book covers the Billings Ovulation Method, which you can read about online. Regardless of what you choose to use as your birth control method, the information on that site is extremely valuable. It will give you the ability to recognize when you are fertile, including the return to fertility after breastfeeding.

Please don't be put off by the fact that it is approved by the Catholic Church (I don't know if you would be or not). There is a lot of good information there.

Oh, and congratulations. Even though things are difficult right now, I'm sure you'll find that it is worth it in the end.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question...and just to make sure there isn't any possible confusion, JenniK is NOT pregnant... [Wink] ...

Have any of the medical people here at Hatrack heard anything about the effectiveness of this Billings Method?

I know, of course, that the best birth control is to abstain, and barring that the modern methods of birth control, when used properly, are extremely effective. This is more a general question because from what I remember these "natural" methods have never been particularly effective in preventing pregnancy. I was wondering if any of them were more effective than the others.

I was raised RC, but am not now, so using regular birth control doesn't bother me at all, I was just curious.

Also, from a religious background, why would this be any less a refusal of God's will then a condom? I wonder why, honestly, I am not trolling of trying to stir up trouble.

As a matter of fact, if you would rather I move these questions into a new thread about these topics I can and will...I didn't mean to further hijack this topic. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
women with strong fertility signs can use natural methods with a great deal of success... in 12 years, 4 out of 5 of our kids were absolutely planned-- as in we decided, specifcally, "it's time to get pregnant again" and specifcally stopped abstaining on fertile days. It wasn't merely a matter of saying "we wanted this one" when we got pregnant again.

Not every woman has strong fertility signals, but we never had to take daily temperatures or anything heavily involved.

On the religious side of NFP, it's a little more philosophical and I may attack that later in a longer post.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you use other contraceptives, the knowledge gleaned from studying the Ovulation Method and NFP can help you better read your own body to know when you are MOST fertile, and avoid those days if you choose. Instead of relying only on contraceptives. Increase your odds, so to speak, of avoiding pregnancy.

I know there are lots of naysayers about NFP, but I studied their program, and it helped me be a lot more in tune with my own body's signals, (which has helped me now that I'm in peri-menopause) even though if I were married I would use other contraceptives besides just ovulation method.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
When followed to the letter, I've heard that NFP does work. But it takes time and dedication.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*huge hug*

Dear, it will be okay. I had insurance changes while I was pregnant with Robert, too. It's scary, I guess, but letting yourself feel scared is counter-productive. "The Lord will provide" they say. It's a cliche for a reason, I think. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
They have done several studies on the Billings Method. I believe most of these were done in areas where other forms of birth control were not readily available. According to this page, it is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy, based on trials.

This page lists the terminology of the studies and where they have been done.

Here is the study that was done in China. The table comparing it to IUDs is particularly interesting (Section 4, Table 2)

Even if you don't plan to use this as the only bc method, it is extremely valuable knowledge to have.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on this unexpected blessing, kq! I can understand how the idea will take some getting used to - when Andrew and I resume, um, relations, he will be using protection, even thought the likelihood of my getting pregnant is about a million to one.

I don't know the insurance laws in California, but here in Virginia, insurers will not issue a new policy to a pregnant woman. I found this out when I tried to switch companies when we moved back to Richmond. If that is also the case in California, maybe it could help you qualify for Medicaid (or is it Medical there?)?

Also, from what I can tell, WIC is a good resource for pregnant women.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations even if the finances are scary. I can’t offer any useful advice about health costs, but it makes me angry when medical care is treated as something only for those that can afford it.

Relax and look after yourself, try not to worry too much.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I used NFP in addition to barrier methods. (Can't use hormones, my body goes NUTS). It was good knowledge- I could decide to use an extra method ( say, cap and condom) or just say "I am too freaking fertile right now, we're absatining for a few days". I'd never have used it as a stand alone method.

I think every woman needs that kind of "body knowledge".

That said, I got pregnant while using NFP, cap, condom and extra spemicide.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
I got pregnant while using NFP, cap, condom and extra spemicide.

You see, G'd has his own plans!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh.

Um, I've read about the Billings method before. Unfortunately, I have three problems: 1) my signs aren't that strong and get confused easily, 2) I'm not very organized and sometimes mix up my chart-keeping when I'm trying to keep track, and 3) It's quite possible that I sometimes ovulate twice in a month, sometimes once.

Not that I haven't tried it.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in CA. One of our employees was pregnant when we switched insurance providers. Not only was her pregnancy covered but she could stay with the same doctor even though he wasn't a doctor on the new plan. Whether this is CA law or just a cool insurance company I don't know.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The problem is when you haven't been previously insured. We had this happen before-- if it's pre-existing, they just won't cover it.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know who the insurace provider will be when kpc gets insurance? Has he checked with them on this issue? His employer may be able to look into it for you. When will he be eligible for the insurance and how far along will you be? What did PP give you as a due date? I know you said that you don't think it is right (by a month, at least).

There are still days I question why we are doing this again even though it was planned.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

He won't be eligible for insurance for another two months. The due date they gave me based on date of last period is April 13. ( >_< ) But I think I skipped the first period due to stress, which I have been known to do, because I didn't start feeling symptoms until just now-- a week or so after my second missed period, which would be just about right. The date they gave me would put me almost 12 weeks along, and I neither look nor feel it. His provider will be Blue Cross, but I will probably be going with a different plan that provides better emergency and maternity coverage.
rivka
Member # 4859

I had to switch insurance plans in the middle of a pregnancy twice. [Razz] It's a pain, but as kq said, if you're covered to begin with it's not that big a deal.

I don't know what the Blue Cross plan covers, but their PPO is very good, IME.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Each woman is so different. We can plan the sex of our children becuase my fertility signs are that clear, but some women either don't know or don't care to know (I have a sister who doesn't even keep track of when her periods start). We did have one baby who wasn't the sex we planned, but when we got the ultrasound it became apparent that the child was conceived a week or so after we were trying.

But I am very aware that just because we can do that doesn't mean everyone can.

I asked Dagonee about the condom thing one time, and he said that using a condom is a sin of commission while abstaining during fertility is more like a sin of omission. I don't remember what he said exactly, but that is how it went.

If you're Catholic and you don't have sex with your spouse with the intent of not getting pregnant, do you confess that? How frustrating would that be for the poor confessor?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jeff will be on the "budget" PPO. That's just not going to cut it for me-- the deductible is too high.
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

No matter what, might as well enjoy it. Let the insurance and the bills work themselves out.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, KQ!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm really starting to get excited about having another baby.

Now I just hope I don't miscarry again. Or find out it's ectopic or something.

I really need to find a way to get to a doctor.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Come here for a visit and I'll take you to mine. She's teh awesome!

Oh, wait. If you could afford a visit, you could prolly see your own doctor. Nuts!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:Originally posted by romanylass:
Have you read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"? It helped, er.... somewhat on the spacing.

It looks like that book covers the Billings Ovulation Method, which you can read about online.

Actually "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" covers the "Fertility Awareness Method" which while quite similar to the Billings method has some differences. The major difference is that Fertility awareness uses temperature readings and Billings does not.

While taking daily temps is sometimes off putting for people (I don't know why when the same people are as willing to take a pill daily often with nasty side effects), I firmly believe that it makes using natural birth control much more effective. This is especially true for women who have more ambiguous fertility symptoms or have... other cycle confusing issues like lactation, perimenopause, or stress delayed ovulation.

By the way, my mom was involved in university research into NFP in the sixties and was an NFP instructor for many years. She planned her children quite effectively using only NFP. I was taught the principles of fertility awareness at puberty and I think it's HUGELY useful information to have about one's own body regardless of whether you're using it for birth control or not. There are sadly still a lot of misconceptions among adult women about their cycles, etc.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

I'm so glad you're starting to get excited about this, kq. We're excited for you too! [Big Grin]

Sorry to hijack your thread with all that birth control stuff.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The temp readings were part of what I did. I got the same exact temperature every day for three months.

Yeah.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

The Billings people have done studies which found that the temperature readings were not as accurate as the mucus indicators. Before this they used to teach the temperature indicators as well, but when they found that they were not as reliable they stopped.

But, Miriya, I absolutely agree with you about the importance of the knowledge, regardless of the use to which it is put. When I first started learning about NFP (only a few months ago), I was quite angry that I had never learned about it anywhere else. What happened to the idea that people need all of the available information in order to make good choices?

I plan to teach this to my daughter when she is old enough. I think it will make puberty much easier for her than it was for me, because she will know what is going on and be able to predict her cycles.

--Mel

Miriya
Member # 7822

That's odd. What kind of thermometer were you using? You need fine graduations to do NFP. Also digital thermometers can be flaky for some women who have very slight variations. I recommend using an old fashioned glass one.
Miriya
Member # 7822

quote:
The Billings people have done studies which found that the temperature readings were not as accurate as the mucus indicators. Before this they used to teach the temperature indicators as well, but when they found that they were not as reliable they stopped.
I'm not sure which studies you are referring. I've seen several that reflect the fact that when used ALONE temperatures are quite ineffective for birth control. This makes sense because temps can only tell you that you have ALREADY ovulated and are not useful for most women as a predictor of ovulation.

The cervical fluid indicators (i hate the term mucus, it's not an unhealthy thing) are absolutely essential. If you're only using one thing that's the way to go. I do find though that for people who are uncertain, the temps help them feel confident, and for people who have atypical cycles it can be a lifesaver.

For instance in a lactating woman the body often gets ready to ovulate repeatedly but doesn't quite reach the necessary estrogen peak. With fluid only you will not be sure if you DID in fact ovulate or only sort of try to. The can lead to method failure.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Oh, I understand you now. I can see how using the temperature indicators to confirm would be useful. Let me go find the page that talked about the studies, so that you can read it for yourself.

--Mel

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Here is the page that discusses the different indicators of fertility, and their effectiveness.

--Mel

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
That's odd. What kind of thermometer were you using? You need fine graduations to do NFP. Also digital thermometers can be flaky for some women who have very slight variations. I recommend using an old fashioned glass one.
That's what I was using.
Miriya
Member # 7822

Kq: I don't think I've ever encountered that before. Thermal shift aside, having the exact same temperature every single day for three months down to 1/10th of a degree just seems odd. That shouldn't happen even if you have an occasional drink (okay LDS don't drink), sleep in, get sick. etc. *shrug* I'd have to discuss in more detail to figure that out.

theCrowsWife: That's an interesting link. The way they are refering to use of temps is not quite like I do (which is the method in the "TCOYF" book). It sounds like they expect people who use temps to do some sort of rhythm method calculations and apply them to their fluid symptoms. I've never heard of such a thing! [Dont Know]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's quite possible I had a bad thermometer. Or did it wrong. Or something. *shrug*

Just for the record, when I am not ill, my oral temperature is always the same, as well. I haven't had a deviation in four years now. (Lower than most people's, but when I take it, always the same.)

Miriya
Member # 7822

Maybe you just need finer graduation? I take my temps in Celcius so I go to two decimal places (for example my temp now might be 37.25 C) and I do get variation. I believe in Farenheit it's usually only necessary to go to one decimal place but hey .. there's an exception to every rule [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Quite possible I need finer graduation. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was just reading the instructions on how to fill out the form for that low-cost insurance for pregnant women who don't qualify for MediCal. Now, I'm not sure if this is how MediCal calculates family size, but that form says to count a pregnant woman as 2 people, which would bump our family size up to 4, and put us under 200% of the federal poverty level-- the line for MediCal for pregnant women. I'm going in on Wed. to the Social Services office to apply, just in case I do qualify, and this makes it look a little more hopeful. *crosses fingers*
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.