FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well. I guess it's official. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Well. I guess it's official.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Been talking to my mom and according to her, I'm still on her insurance. She works for Kaiser, and gets coverage for her kids until they're 25 or married. She just never told them I moved away and got married and still has me under her address and policy. If she calls and says, "Gee, I "forgot" to tell you that my daughter got married and moved away; is there any way she can pay and continute coverage?" they may allow me to pay immediately and continue coverage as a professional courtesy. I'm not sure how much it would be, I'm not sure what would be covered (although Kaiser tends to be pretty good), and I'm not sure that I feel good about my mom being dishonest on my behalf. (She never took me off becuase according to her co-workers, it's much harder to get coverage back if you take someone off, and she was hedging her-- well, my-- bets in case something like this ever happened.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you have a couple of avenues opening up for coverage.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how far professional courtesy stretches with Kaiser but my experience would lead me to believe they will say no.

Maybe I'll be wrong (I hope so!) but I don't see any insurance company taking on the extra liability involved with covering someone they don't have to. And, they will consider the day you got married as the day you were no longer eligible for coverage, so it won't be as if you have had coverage up til now - there will still be a coverage gap.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, she's personal friends with these people. She's worked for the company 15 years. They may just give her a little leeway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
But if she has to lie, then doesn't that open her up to possibly being charged with insurance fraud?

She may have worked personally with some people every day, but that doesn't prevent someone in the fraud division from reacting if they see something fishy come across the desk. Kaiser is a HUGE company, she can't possibly know everyone that might potentially be involved in this.

I guess I'm just a coward, but I wouldn't do it, personally. The risks are too high, even if you save some money what will it be worth if there's legal trouble?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This was her idea, not mine. As I said, I feel uncomfortable about it. But I really doubt they'd do that.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely don't lie about it, but it wouldn't hurt to ask -- "My daughter got married and I didn't change her insurance right away, could she begin paying for coverage now?"
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's something like what she would plan to say.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an OB/gyn friend from medschool who works for Kaiser. I doubt she knows anything about how it works. She's out of town for her grandma's funeral now.

I suppose it would be bad to turn to this new job insurance (in two months) and suggested this wasn't a preexisting condition because you had Kaiser? Only more like, imply it somehow. I suppose that wouldn't work. They'd want documentation. Anyway, think about options in that direction too.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jeff just called the LA county Dept. of Health and Human Services, and a pregnant woman does indeed count as two. Therefore, I will qualify for MediCal. *huge sigh of relief*
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
That's *wonderful* kq. It must be a huge weight off your mind! [Smile]
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, it is. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! And MediCal coverage is pretty good, I hear. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You usually don't have to pay for anything that is medically necessary. (Meaning, if you want a private room, you pay for it, but otherwise, you don't have to.)
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations kq!
[The Wave]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Now that I'm not so anxious, I'm starting to really be excited. I wasn't expecting this, but I guess that doesn't mean it can't be a nice surprise. [Smile]
Miriya
Member # 7822

Hey kq... will your two be two years or less apart? I have a double stroller I don't need and I know from experience that they're handy with that age difference.

Hmmm. I've never tried to ship anything like that, would it be worth the effort?

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They'll be about two years exactly apart. I don't know where you are, but give me an e-mail and we'll talk. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Looking at shipping rates on ebay, it seems to tend somewhere around $50 for a double stroller, although some types are less. We'd definitely be willing to pay that kind of shipping if you don't mind packing it up...)
Miriya
Member # 7822

I'll e-mail you later this evening kq. I'd be happy to send it off to you if it's helpful.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wonderful! Thank you!
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the medical, kq! Being "2 people" made a difference for me to qualify for medicaid as well.

I'm glad you can be happy about the pregnancy now!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think the shock wearing off helped, too. Thank you. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.