FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plural of Horcrux? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Plural of Horcrux?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon "Horcruces", my friend thinks that "Horcruxes". My argument is that it's a Latin word, so it needs a Latin conjugation (index - indeces, appendix - appendices); his argument is the example of box - boxes.

But "box" existed in OE, even if it did originate in Latin ("pux" or something, no?), so that means it was an old-enough word, integrated enough in English to be regarded as an "English" rather than Latin word.

But Horcrux was recently coined, so it ought to be "Horcruces", nay?

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Either.

My vote is for Horcruxes, because it is an available option, and we are making the plural in English. To adopt another language's pluralization when there is a native pluralization available seems like an affection.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Rowling says horcruxes, so that's the plural. When you make up a word, you get to make up the plural, too.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Within certain limits.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
But Horcrux was recently coined, so it ought to be "Horcruces", nay?

Nay. Recently coined words (other than scientific words) typically follow normal English patterns.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Within certain limits.
Limits which have not even been approached in this case.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I like horcruxes, just because I think it looks better.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Either.

My vote is for Horcruxes, because it is an available option, and we are making the plural in English. To adopt another language's pluralization when there is a native pluralization available seems like an affection.

affectation.

That is all. [Evil]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The plural of index is indices, except in databases, when the plural of index is indexes.

What's the plural of prefix? Of suffix? In software, "fix" can be a noun. "Have you implemented the fix yet?" What's its plural?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

For index and appendix, the regular English plurals are more common. The Latin plurals are commonly used in more technical contexts. As for fix, prefix, and suffix, you could always consult a dictionary.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebulan
Member # 8420

- posted      Profile for Zebulan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sticking with Horcruxii.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Limits which have not even been approached in this case.
Very true--didn't mean to imply that you hadn't. Actually I had a sort of involved post having to do with made up words with plurals that bore absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the singular form, but in the end it just wasn't funny enough, so I deleted it and posted my single line instead.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I would have liked to see those. I tried to think of some to respond to your post, but couldn't find any funny enough, either.
katharina
Member # 827

Karl Ed: You're completely right. [Blushing]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's nothing compared to my gaffe in the "Toward More Picturesque Speech" thread. (Where I misspelled "Speech" . . . twice.) [Blushing]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, it makes senseā€”speak and speech are related, after all. I guess you were just thinking etymologically. [Wink]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
In the book, it says "Horcruxes." Since it's a fictional object, I'm assuming JK Rowling knows what she's talking about!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I would have liked to see those. I tried to think of some to respond to your post, but couldn't find any funny enough, either.
Yeah, it seems to be one of those ideas that appears to be rich with comic potential until you actually start trying to come up with something specific, doesn't it?

So Karl, I assume you spelled it "Speach"?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie has graduated from omitting words to omitting syllables. [Wink]

Is that better or worse?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mine iyes! Mine iyes!

"Indexes" and "appendixes" are only more recently used, and if I'm not mistaken, it originated in the US. My father was taught to write "plateux", and if you check the MS Word Spell Checker (yes, I know its reliability), the English (or at least the Australian) Dictionary accepts it, the US one does not.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's pronounced: "Throatwarblermangrove"
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gansura:

Horcrux, and coming soon, to a theater near you, Horcrux II, The Revenge
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the plural of Horcrux is officialy, "Fred".
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For index and appendix, the regular English plurals are more common.
I use the regular English plural of index most of the time, but always use "appendices". Don't ask why, I just do.

And I like Horcruces much better.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] That was one avenue I considered, Glenn.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
For index and appendix, the regular English plurals are more common.
I use the regular English plural of index most of the time, but always use "appendices". Don't ask why, I just do.
Even for the organ?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the plural of "organ" is "organs". Sheesh!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebulan
Member # 8420

- posted      Profile for Zebulan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Mine iyes! Mine iyes!

[Dont Know]
Heh. [Smile]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Gansura, don't mind Jonathan. He operates on a different plane than most of us, and what is apparent to him is incomprehensible to the rest of us. You get used to it.

And Jonathan, you've got to know that I really like your contributions here. And you seem like more and more the mentch every day. Just so you know that I've noticed.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
He operates on a different plane than most of us
Sure I do, I operate of the plane of not murdering Latin all over again. [Smile]

quote:
Jonathan, you've got to know that I really like your contributions here.
Thanks, Tante.
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
The stem of a third desclension noun is determined by removing the ending from the genitive. Since 'crux, crucis' is the dictionary entry (listing the nominative then the genitive) the plural nominative would be cruces, if we assume that horcrux is conjugated like crux (which means gallows or frame on which to kill prisoners btw) then the latin plural of horcrux would be horcruces. But, since Rowling invented the word, I think she ought to have the final say on how to pluralize it, and it ought to be referred to as horcruxes in English.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even for the organ?
Honestly, I have never used the plural of "appendix", the organ.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

My husband bought a tux; they were on sale -- buy two tuces get one free.

We had tickets to see the White Sox vs the Red Sox -- battle of the Soces.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
In my humble opinion, horcrux should be pluralized as Horcruxi. Yeah, awsome plural form if you ask me.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*having taken Latin, winces*
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Tante - "tux" is short for "tuxido", and "sox" is this weird AOL-styled mangling of "socks". It's NOT "tucesidoes" and NOT "soces".

I agree with kq. It's like "horcruxii" - that's why I shouted "mine iyes". But, to credit Alt, she said "in my humble opinion". I encourage these things!

Horcruces. I am studying a little Latin, and I can't face "indexes" and "appendixes", personally. Somehow, I can live with "plateaus"... Maybe 'cause that's how I first saw the word.

katharina
Member # 827

You are also studying English. Why are you adopting the Latin ending for an English pluralization?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Tante - "tux" is short for "tuxido", and "sox" is this weird AOL-styled mangling of "socks". It's NOT "tucesidoes" and NOT "soces".

Yeah. I was joking around. And, by the way, if I recall correctly, the Red Sox and the White Sox, American baseball teams, both anteceded AOL by a few years.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Tante - "tux" is short for "tuxido", and "sox" is this weird AOL-styled mangling of "socks".

AOL-styled? O_o

Latin was never murdered, Jonathan. It simply evolved. And you can be sure that 2500 years ago, people were making the same complaints about language that you're making now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, if I recall correctly, "tux" is short for "tuxedo", not "tuxido". [Razz]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
so then the plural form of tuxedo is tuxedi? [Razz]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Great, kq, butcher the spelling of words I never use! [Wink] But the hair-gel I use still is used for "hair-stailing".

I don't know where the word "tuxedo" emerged from, so I can't really know the plural.

JB - AOL-styled because "cks" is condensed into "x". Besides, "socks" is plural anyway - and that's what "Red Sox" is! Latin tradition is murdered when people call it "horcruxii" *flinch* [Smile] . And yes, people were quarreling about language just the same back then.

quote:
You are also studying English. Why are you adopting the Latin ending for an English pluralization?
Because that's the way I was brought up to write. I still prefer to write "oktopos" and "oktopodes". [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
I don't know where the word "tuxedo" emerged from, so I can't really know the plural.

I know! I know! It is from Tuxedo, NY.

quote:
Once home to many wealthy New Yorkers. The formal attire takes its name from the town of Tuxedo and village of Tuxedo Park

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

You were brought up to prefer a couple of dead languages to your own? I find that rather sad, to be honest.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I have two languages, one of which was semi-dead for two thousand years, I study dead languages for school, and I read dead forms of living languages.

So yeah, I guess.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

"Dead forms of living languages" makes no sense. It's like saying your great-grandparents are dead forms of you.
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Because that's the way I was brought up to write.
You should have a better reason for your actions than "My mother told me to." Surely you can come up with some sort of justification. [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
"Dead forms of living languages" makes no sense. It's like saying your great-grandparents are dead forms of you.

Makes sense to me. There are ancient languages that have modern version, but are incomprehensible to the modern speaker.

That's why people read the translation of Beowolf, even though it is written in English.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Makes sense to me. There are ancient languages that have modern version, but are incomprehensible to the modern speaker.

Yes, I know. [Smile]

Would you call Australopithecus a dead version of living people? It may be related to living people, but it's not merely a dead version of them.
quote:
That's why people read the translation of Beowolf, even though it is written in English.
It's arguable whether you could still call it English.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

If memory serves, they call that "Old English".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.