FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Plural of Horcrux? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Plural of Horcrux?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very aware of what they call it. However, names aren't the best indicator of what something is. It bears little resemblance to what we think of as English.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
*absently wonders whether singular of feces is therefore fex*

I think the plural of horcrux should be horcrü.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
*absently wonders whether singular of feces is therefore fex*

It would be if it existed in English.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
[association]
Well, I saw a book last year. A book studied by my friend's sister for school. It was a book with a couple of Shakespeare's plays. It had a lovely font, other than that it was pathetic.

On the one side it had William Shakespeare's texts, written in a linear format (as it's metrical), and in the original form, just elegantly reformed with a new, cleared font.

On the other side was the "corrected", "updated" version, written in modern, spoken English, completely out of meter (in paragraph form - one paragraph a character's line), and the spelling was updated into the modern American spelling.

Now, that's massacring our favourite Billy; that's modern English.
[/association]

quote:
You should have a better reason for your actions than "My mother told me to."
It's for the same reason I write "realise" and not "realize": it's one of two forms, and that is the one I read and used first. I use "appendices" bcause it's more natural to me. That's for the same reason I say "ad-VER-tis-ment", not "ad-ver-TISE-ment".

Jon Boy - you try understanding the Bible in Hebrew after you learned modern Hebrew as a native - it's not very easy. Most of the words you can understand, but if you're not religious (meaning: if you don't start learning around the age of six, after memorising nursery rhymes earlier) then the forms are quite difficult to master. Maybe that explains why the top people in the Hebrew Language Academy are religious and know a lot of Bible and Gemarra.

So yes, I'm talking about dead forms. Biblical Hebrew is a dead form. I can barely read Job, and I probably have some of the vastest vocabulary and some of the best Biblical reading-skills in my class. So what? It's still a dead form of a language.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I was simply arguing semantics. Of course ancient Hebrew is dead, and of course it's different from modern Hebrew. I was just saying that the difference between them is more fundamental than one being alive while the other is dead (presumably, of course—I don't speak Hebrew).
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the difference between them is more fundamental than one being alive while the other is dead
I lost you there. Ancient Hebrew is dead at the same time modern Hebrew is alive - for instance right at this moment.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I mean that it's not simply a version of modern Hebrew that isn't spoken or that stopped being spoken. The differences in grammar and phonology are probably much more significant. (Of course, Hebrew might not be the best example of this—I don't know the exact relationship of modern Hebrew to ancient Hebrew.)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The relationship between biblical Hebrew and modern Hebrew is much more along the lines of that between Middle English and modern than Old English and modern. (I think.)

In part, this is because for hundreds of years, biblical Hebrew was as dead as Latin, and used only as a language of scholarship. Only about 100 years ago, Ben Yehuda revived it as a modern language. He deliberately changed certain things from biblical Hebrew, but left many things the same. In fact, in many ways modern Hebrew is closer to biblical Hebrew than to the (considerably more recent) Talmudic Hebrew.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

And yet, people find the Mishnaic Hebrew far easier to understand than the Biblical Hebrew. I find it easier to read, even though it's got a far different vocbulary.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.