FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three wishes? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Three wishes?
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what would your three wishes be? Assume they can be fairly broad, but you need to be able to state them in, say, twenty seconds. Assume the genie isn't maliciously trying to circumvent your intentions, so you don't have to get everything down in triplicate. Ixnay on the wishing for more wishes.

To make it easier, stick to the quasi-selfish. Yes, I know, it's tempting to sacrifice your precious wishes for world peace or the end to human overpopulation or world hunger, but... Stick to what you'd want for you.

What I've come up with:

1) I want perfect physical and mental health in every respect for one hundred and fifty years, with an option to renew for another 150 at the end of that, and every, period- if I'm not ready to die. I want this ability to be passed on to all members of my family, so I don't have to watch any of my family die.

2) I want to be successful in whatever occupation I devote myself to- writing, theater, game design, architecture, what have you.

3) I want the wit and wisdom to be an eloquent speaker and a debater of such precision that there is no doubt in the mind of any onlooker, nor my opponent, that I am in the right.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Immortality
2. Eternal Perfect Health
3. Telepathy

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect Health is a cheating reply. No prioritizing required. *pouts* *...and cheats*

1. Perfect physical and mental health
2. The "sig oth" who I need - even if it's just a best friend.
3. The ability to shoot web out my wrists. Cuz that's just cool.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea my wishes would be so mundane, but I would wish for...

1. a beautiful singing voice (I sing like a cross between Lucille Ball and a crow)
2. to be graceful (because I can't walk across a room without tripping over something)
3. not to ever get hay fever again. ever.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
1) I want perfect physical and mental health in every respect for one hundred and fifty years, with an option to renew for another 150 at the end of that, and every, period- if I'm not ready to die. I want this ability to be passed on to all members of my family, so I don't have to watch any of my family die.

I'll put my three wishes up eventually, but I just want to say that this is one of the better thought out imortality wishes that I have seen.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
All I want is to be Young, Thin, Beautiful, Healthy, Wealthy, Wise, and Talented for as long as I desire to live.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be lucky.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it odd that I can't think of anything I would wish for? I mean, sure, eternal youth and stuff would be nice, but I'd always feel like I hadn't done anything to merit it. I could be devastatingly handsome now if I really cared to be; I could be rich now, if I really wanted it. So I have to conclude that I don't really want these things.

The things I DO really want I already have.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winder
Member # 8685

- posted      Profile for Winder   Email Winder         Edit/Delete Post 
1) To be as good a writer as I feel like I should be... i.e. stories and images flow from my imagination to paper perfectly.

2) To have record companies mail me promos of all new movie score releases

3) To be a successful enough writer that I can support myself with that alone, and eventually be able to have a film made out of at least one of my books, and to be heavily involved in that process. (since I have my own ideas about movie-making)

Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
1. My husband to be in perfect health. (and while I'm at it, me as well.)...Heck, might as well include my mother in this... okay.. my whole family...and some friends, too.

2. A billion dollars. Yes, I know this is very materialistic, but we'd use it for good...and I don't want to worry about the lack of money anymore.

That's it. I want health for my loved ones and myself, and plenty of money to share with people and to buy whatever we need or want.

Everything else I want can't be wished for, like myself and all those I loved to be among the saved. That's all about free choice.

I wouldn't wish for immortality. Not here. I want that in Heaven.

I guess I'd take suggestions for my 3rd wish. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Be a .400 hitter and center fielder for the Yankees.
2) To truely understand quantumn mechanics.
3) Be mentally and physically healthy for as long as I choose to live.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
3. Many new shows and movies and revivals of Joss Whedon creations. Such as a return of the Buffyverse and many Serenity movies, while keeping up the quality of a Joss film/tv show.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1)To be happy
2)To be Lucky
3)to love and be loved.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a new poster (yes i know) buut, this seemed like a good post to begin with...

1) To be able to move objects with my eyes.
2) To have an unlimited amount of money [Razz]
3) (and to go along with Katarain's delayed third wish)...i want to be a character in a joss whedon directed series

[Smile]

Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't using the word "and" cheating. How is perfect physical and mental health not two wishes? I mean, if I can just string things together with ands I'd just start listing things for my full 20 seconds with each wish.

I wish for a dump truck, and a pony, and some pie, and a new bicycle, etc. etc. etc.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob the Lawyer:
Isn't using the word "and" cheating. How is perfect physical and mental health not two wishes? I mean, if I can just string things together with ands I'd just start listing things for my full 20 seconds with each wish.

I wish for a dump truck, and a pony, and some pie, and a new bicycle, etc. etc. etc.

Well when I used it i tried to keep them related. It would have been better for just "perfect health" with the menal and physical implied
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Money
2. Fame
3. B*tches

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, Sterling's hearlth and immortality wish:

For my next two:
2) The wisdom to always know right and wrong in a given situation.

3) The strength of character to follow the course of action I know to be right.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
1) My own personal Holodeck.

2) Perfect Health

3) The wisdom to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to have to copy ricree for two of these.

1) The wisdom to always knoww right and wrong in a given situation (or if there is no right or wrong the wisdom to see the effects of the choices layed before me).

2)The strength of character to follow the course of action I know to be right.

3)Enough money to not have to worry about money.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
1. A long, healthy life for my family (daughters, wife, mother, father, sister, etc).

no more...no less.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3) (and to go along with Katarain's delayed third wish)...i want to be a character in a joss whedon directed series
You do? What kind of masochist are you? The man is not very nice to his characters. Or did you mean you wanted to play a character in a Joss Whedon series?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
jebus, if you're not talking about female dogs, I'd appreciate it if you'd edit your post to something a little more complimentary to women. I don't know why it's perfectly okay for you to post that word with a * in it, but it's not okay for anyone here to post blatantly racist remarks. They are exactly the same thing.

I'm with Tom on this one. There's nothing I wish for that I can't or don't already have.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) The wisdom to always knoww right and wrong in a given situation (or if there is no right or wrong the wisdom to see the effects of the choices layed before me).
Don't you think you'd be driven mad by the choices? This one leads to WWIII but this one kills off the entire population of North America?

I mean, what would decide on? Deathcount?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.T.
Member # 8665

- posted      Profile for K.T.   Email K.T.         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I will never be in a position that a choice of mine would have that kind of effect.
I am just a peon and most of my choices are not earth shattering.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
jebus, if you're not talking about female dogs, I'd appreciate it if you'd edit your post to something a little more complimentary to women. I don't know why it's perfectly okay for you to post that word with a * in it, but it's not okay for anyone here to post blatantly racist remarks. They are exactly the same thing.
Ok, I'm talking about female dogs.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Beware the Monkey's Paw!

And...

The Monkey's Paw Revived!

Bwah hahahahahahahahahaha

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
1. To be able to go into any book of my choosing and meet the characters, participate in all the events, and so on.

2. To not be at risk of physical/mental harm when I do so. And to be able to take on any appearence/attributes when I do so so I don't have to stand out... unless I want to.

3. To have the ability to bring characters/things out of the books I visit.

(Anyone read the Thursday Next novels?)

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Oh and no it's not the same thing as posting a racist remark, since if it was about women, I wouldn't be referring to all women, only a rather small group of them who in fact self-identify as "b*tches".

But in either case, just believe what ever makes you not offended and we can all go on in peace, and, more importantly, without a strongly worded email from the janitor.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
a lifetime supply of chocolate

to be hired on my first interview for my dream job

to not have some pathetic wendy disorder (I really like peter pans)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
as far as things that could come true...
1. to meet my soulmate
2. to have wonderful children
3. to see the world

things that could not come true...
1. to have been born bilengual
2. to have abilities like Peggy's (in Alvin Maker), except with the ability to turn it on and off
3. to actually like and be good at science, so i could go spend the rest of my life living in the Churchill Northern Studies Centre in Churchill, Manitoba.
actually that might get pretty boring.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
1) To run at peak mental and physical condition, and age gracefully with it.

2) A boyfriend, or something more long-lasting. A significant, excellent relationship with someone I really love.

3) A work ethic.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

jebus, as I cannot refer to a self-identifying black person with the word ... nevermind, we know what it is, I still think that your choice of words is inappropriate. But whatever.

It's not like it's surprising. I am going to start refering to you as Peeves, though, if you don't mind.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
He does peeve me.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
1) The ability to go back in time and slap my past jerk-self when he's being an idiot.

2) All the money in the world, so I never have to worry about anything but personal relationships and pursuing happiness.

3) Forgiveness for my mistakes from the people I care about.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Immortality
2. A time machine (or some method of going back in time) just so certain things can be changed

And (since I didn't see any rules against it)

3. Love (romantic love, not love between family or between friends)

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I'd love being able to orb like Paige from Charmed. If I had that power...Ah. The things I'd do with it...

2. Never needing nutrition again. Why would I want to go hungry again?

3. Being able to go through time at will without having to worry about changing something accidentally or stuff that "Will happen no matter what I do." Yeah, I'd do the same thing from back to the future using this power in order to become rich. I'd do my best to help the world of course.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
to Enigmatic...yes i would like to PLAY a character on a series directed by Joss whedon...but hey...I wouldn't complain if I became Buffy Summers...
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
A philosophy teacher who had half a brain!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. To be able to go into any book of my choosing and meet the characters, participate in all the events, and so on.
Kinda like in a holodeck? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ok, I'm talking about female dogs."

[ROFL]

"Thank you Jebus!"

Mine are :
1. A self repairing body (Think Treason without the rad aspect, or Wolverine)
2. The ability to truly communicate with animals. (Either in pictures by telepathy or in "language")
3. A billion dollars.

The social stuff (love, family, friends) I can take care of on my own.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone read Magic Street?....
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
It's not like it's surprising. I am going to start refering to you as Peeves, though, if you don't mind.
Not at all, I love nicknames.

::flies around jeniwren's head dropping nasty words::

::whizzes off cackling::

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm doing this.... but at times I do self-identify with the term jebus used. I'm a:

Beautiful
Intelligent
Thoughtful
Caring
Human

And other times I'm just an evil nasty person.... LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
No, not holodecks. Ahhh! Trekkies are everywhere!

I mean to literally go into a book of my choosing, not some artificial replicant of what a computer thinks that that book would be like. But what the author envisioned when he* wrote it.

* I was originally going to put he/she, but then I realized I was being politically correct. I hate being pollitically correct its so boring.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Goody, would you feel warm and fuzzy about being referred to as a b*tch by your man? "Yo, she's my b*tch, hands off!"

My point is that while we may call ourselves this, it means something entirely different when someone else calls us that. And in the context which jebus was using the word, it essentially relegates women to nothing but a decorative penis sleeve.

Which is not to say I didn't find humor in his response. It made me laugh. [Smile]

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
And in the context which jebus was using the word, it essentially relegates women to nothing but a decorative penis sleeve.
Not all women, just the ones who act like they are nothing but, as you so wonderfully put it, decorative penis sleeves.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, you're right. When I say it about myself or my friends, it's obvious to us which version is meant. Just as it was apparent to me what jebus meant by his. The comment I was aiming my reply to (and I apologize for not being clear by quoting) was
"self-identifying".

I say if jebus can find women willing to be his decorative sleeves, then more power to him... he'll need it to keep up with them!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

Um... I think that the above counts as much more than one wish, i.e., wishing it for you and your family.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
1. The ability to stop time around me. This power would be b*tching.

2. A "Back to the Future" Delorian that runs on trash and junk.

3. The power to read people and understand their intentions, their thoughts etc.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.