FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Smallville" - an opportunity lost (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Smallville" - an opportunity lost
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
for...?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I hate page changes. <pout>

So, about Kryptonite.

Green: Weakens and eventually kills super-powered Kryptonians.

Red: Makes weird things happen to super-powered Kryptonians. Each piece can only effect a given Kryptonian once, and its effects only last (except for rare but inevitable exceptions) for 24 hours. And a piece that turns one Kryptonian into a giant will turn any Kryptonian into a giant as well.

Blue: Bizarro Kryptonite. Has the same effect on Bizarros that Green does on super-powered Kryptonians.

Gold: Strips super-powered Kryptonians of their powers, permanently.

White: Kills all vegetation, Kryptonian or otherwise.

Jewel: Residents of the Phantom Zone (which does not look like a cross between a window and a mirror) can use Jewel Kryptonite to focus thir psychic eminations and affect things in our world.

Pink: Heh. Appeared in the last story arc of Peter David's Supergirl series. Use your imagination.

There is no Black or Silver or Purple or Magenta Kryptonite, people.

Grr. I have spoken.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
After Lex's wife tried to kill him and he was stranded on that remote island, didn't he find a necklace with the Wonder Woman symbol on it?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Even as a kid I considered the various colors of kryptonite as cheap plot devices thunk up by writers who were out of ideas...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought last night's episode was pretty well done. I liked the interaction with Clark and Braniac (though I'm curious how an alien AI entity got a job working as a history professor at a university in a couple months. Probably shouldn't scratch the surface too deeply on that one, though.) and Clark with AC. I like that Clark is taking his responsibility more fully- it's more global.

Next week has me worried, though. It's threatens to be like Spell, last year.

It's sad when you have to treat a show like an unfaithful spouse- you get suspicious and prepare for the worst at the slightest hint that things are not going to go the way you want them.

But so far, I have been happy with this season.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I just get the idea that a show I thought would be driven by character development and the fascinating moral and ethical choices superheroes have to make instead prefers to settle for the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made Lana a mermaid this time?" direction.

That said, it looks as if James Marsters' character is taking over the cool, multi-level dialogue that used to be Lex's arena.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

yeah, that is true. The character interaction was/is the best (and I still enjoy watching Clark and his parents, Lex, Chloe and even Lois (though their banter is getting old.) But it does seem like they are following the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if...?" Witches, and now vampires? That's why next week will probably suck.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*still waiting, pouts*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

...for?
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
It's the "coming next week" bit that bothered me. Lana's a vampire? That look sto be just the sort of hideous show that drives me crazy, but it's got James Marsters! With hreat lines! Agh!

You tihnk that's bad? Well, get this. There's going to be a character in the episode called Buffy.

I'm not kidding.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by IanO:
yeah, that is true. The character interaction was/is the best (and I still enjoy watching Clark and his parents, Lex, Chloe and even Lois (though their banter is getting old.) But it does seem like they are following the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if...?" Witches, and now vampires? That's why next week will probably suck.

I think the entire vampire ep is solely for Marsters to be able to say, "There's no such thing as vampires".
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
...for?

If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

If that is the case, then I am sorely disappointed. That kind of fan-boy nod should not be dictating the entire plot of an episode. Maybe a line where it fits. But not the creation of the entire storyline.

Sort of like the lame House of Wax episode that seemed a WB tie in to the movie. Pathetic.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, I looked through the whole thread, and I can only conclude that you're either waiting for the show to stop insulting us or for Mashiach. Which may actually happen at the same time.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched my second episode ever of Smallville last night. Well, actually I only watched the second half. I watched it for one reason only, to see if James Marsters was a good actor when playing a part other than Spike. I satisfied myself on two counts:

1. James Marsters is a very good actor, he made me want to start watching every week, even though the 28 minutes that he wasn't in were excruciatingly horrible. So he's not just really hot.
2. James Marsters is really hot even when he's not playing Spike. My god that man has an amazing facial structure!

So, I guess I'll be watching next week as well. We'll see how long the James Marsters love outweighs the really bad writing and acting hate.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is no Black or Silver or Purple or Magenta Kryptonite, people.

Except for in the Superfriends animated series, where the animators would occasionally mis-color what was supposed to be green, red, or blue kryptonite.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Fair enough. <grin>
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I looked through the whole thread, and I can only conclude that you're either waiting for the show to stop insulting us or for Mashiach. Which may actually happen at the same time.
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not watch this show. Not even if James Marsters has an accent. And bleach blond hair. And an unhealty adversity to the sun. I draw the line at fangs, though.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers

Despite the horribly stupid title, I really liked the Lexmas episode. Probably because, well, lots and lots of Lex Luthor. There was the near-required sappy Santa Claus moment, pretty mediocre, they didn't really seem to reach for real, powerful emotion.

But I think this is Lex's real decision to become, well, a villain. He's made other decisions that were villainous, but there was expediency, or gray areas, or he was wrangling with his father and so had to play dirty just to survive. But this time, he's made a decision to play *really* dirty solely for power. The kind of decision he makes at the end of this episode is one you could expect Lex Luthor of the comics to make.

But as they almost always do with Lex Luthor, they do a good job of making him complicated. He does it for love, really, and the avoidance of pain.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.