FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm so nervous *teeth chattering* (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm so nervous *teeth chattering*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It wasn't horrible. There was no lying involved. They misunderstood, and when I "witnessed", I told them that I was Jewish, but that as a hospice nurse in their community I had met many members of their congregation, both still with us and passed. I told them, truthfully, that I was tremendously impressed by the community that they had built and by the generosity of their congregation. I told them that I had a lot of experience working with the sick, and what they had made in their congregation was very special and unusual. I told the congregation that I had made a promise to a member who had recently passed that I would come by on a Gospel Sunday and meet the minister. I praised the congregation for it's good works and repeated that I was Jewish, and that I would go back to my Rabbi and tell him what good works they were doing, so that we may better copy their good example.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, that's an excellent response to a potentially embarrassing and uncomfortable situation.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Is "preachiness" a bad thing in a Church? I thought that was kind of the point of church. Isn't someone who is "preachy" just sounding too much like church?
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I get frustrated with too much preachiness. When I'm constantly told that I'm going to hell even though I'm trying my best to live a good life, it's too much preachiness. When I constantly feel like I'm being told that I'm wrong all the time, then it's too much.

EDIT: I already have someone in my life to yell at me about how wrong I am, and that's me. I don't need a church doing it too.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
When people use the word “preachiness” they usually mean sanctimonious, self-righteous, longwinded, and/or boring. So yes, this is a bad thing in a church.

It’s one of my personal pet-peeves, and I take the opportunity when possible to encourage people not to use the words “preaching” or “sermon” when they really mean “long boring sanctimonious screed.”

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah! After all, "screed" is a much cooler word. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention "sanctimonious". [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I used the word preachiness precisely because it carries a negative connotation. If I was going to talk about preaching or sermons or anything, I would use different wording. Plus I don't like throwing around words like sanctimonious because then it makes it look like I'm putting all of it on one person. Usually it's not one person who makes me feel the whole preachiness thing; it's more likely to be everyone and the church environment. *shrugs* I'm weird though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Well, yeah! After all, "screed" is a much cooler word. [Big Grin]

"You'll never believe who got screed at church on Sunday"
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think a lot of churches are going to have small college age classes. It's a tough class to keep going - I was an assistant teacher for one.

Consider that many of the kids of the congregation may be off to school in another area, and in town, many college students don't attend local churches because they might travel back home on weekends or participate in college ministries on campus. UAB actually has classes on Sundays, so that's another obstacle - the kids might actually be in class. College age is a really tough group, I'm not surprised there wasn't a big turnout in the class. But I do hope you find a church you enjoy. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

UTD doesn't have Sunday classes. I think the main problem is that most of the kids that go here are from other fairly close places, so they probably go to church back at home (if they go). There may or may not be a college ministry on campus, I just haven't seen it (and our school's website is messed up as far as student organizations go at the moment). So *shrugs* I don't know.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
There is something positive to be said for a small class anyway, especially if the class is discussion based. Eight is a nice sized group for conversation. And don’t be too quick to write people off based on their marital status [Wink] . They’ll still have some of the same concerns and questions you do. Marriage doesn’t change everything.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well this is going to sound kind of bad. I went to a church primarily to a) get back more towards religion (since even though I've been away from it a while, I still feel a connection) and b) to be more social and force myself to overcome my anxiety related to that situation. My secondary reason for going to church though was to meet (at some point in the future I supposed) a girl who shares similar values to my own. With me being the youngest and one of the few singles in this class, I have no luck there at the moment. That's not to say that I won't in the future. I haven't written off this church or this group. In fact, I'm probably going to go there again this Sunday.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
"Community" is an excellent reason to join a church. [Smile] And even if there aren't singles your age in the class, like you said there may be in the church, or there may be former members who went off to college like you. . . but who's parents still go there, who might notice a nice young man going to church and introduce you to their daughters when they're home visiting. By which point you may have gotten over some of your anxiety over being in the social situation.

Anyway, not that I'm saying church will become a dating service for you. But if you want to meet a woman with sinilar values, it's not a bad place to start. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but who's parents still go there, who might notice a nice young man going to church and introduce you to their daughters when they're home visiting.
Or...

married people deciding that their siblings should meet that nice guy too

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, I understand. As I said, I'm pretty sure I'm going back to this church again on Sunday. I liked the contemporary service and the class, and the people were all very nice. Heck, the pastor called me last night to thank me for coming and to ask me what my opinion on the service was. [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
that's nice.

Seriously, though, I think God has all kinds of ways of finding the perfect person for us to be with. You never know...

Enjoy.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Now you're sounding like my father, Bob.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Lord has a way of making things work, but you also have to be able to be found as well. Putting a little effort in like socializing is like giving the Lord a chance to bless you. [Smile]

Otherwise, you have to hope the mail carrier is perfect for you.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well that's why I'm trying my hardest. In the past, I probably never would have considered going to church again. I think my medication (despite the mood swings it seems to cause) has leveled me out enough that I can go to it though. The anxiety is still there; it's just no longer insurmountable.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean I can't meet good church-going women in the bars?!

I've been misled.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

pfresh, since you registered in May of this year, I'm not sure you realize what Bob is broadly hinting about. Although maybe you were lurking before that and know very well. But I'm still gonna fill you in quick, 'cause otherwise I think his posts look kinda weird.

Bob met his wife, dkw, through Hatrack. dkw was a confirmed bachlorette, and is a Methodist minister. She had a list of requirements for a potential mate as long as my arm that she pretty much figured meant she was never going to meet someone. He lived in Texas, she lived in Iowa. They had met in person casually a couple of times when he was traveling for work. A while later they became interested in each other, started emailing and talking on the phone, set a date to get together as a date, and got engaged officially on that first date but actually they really already had on the phone. This was around March 2004. Bob moved to Iowa at Thanksgiving, and they were married April 2, 2005. A lot of Hatrackers went to/were in the wedding. So his comments about God having all sorts of ways to find the perfect person for us are best understood when you know a little of his history. [Smile]

They are disgustingly happy together. And he meets all her requirements. So instead of hearing him like your father, try hearing him as a smug newlywed. [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

That's an interesting story. Still sounds sort of like my father though.

EDIT: I decided to add that I'm happy to find that dkw was able to find someone that fits all her requirements. I sometimes doubt that someone exists out there that fits all mine.

[ November 15, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: pfresh85 ]

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
For more info, go to the landmark archive and read dkw's latest (it has links, if I remember correctly).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Okay, I read the first page. Most of the links are dead. A good story though.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

pfresh...well, I'm probably old enough to be your father, but I'm sorry I "sound" like him. Sorry. I wasn't trying to be a pain.

I actually WAS trying to be smug, though.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

No, it's not being a pain or anything. It's more being optimistic and stuff. My father's always telling me "A.J., stop worrying about it. God has things all worked out, and you'll meet the right girl when the time is right." It's a totally optimistic, supposed to be reassuring thing. And my official retort to your smugness is this: [Razz]
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, I knew you were trying to be smug and it wasn't working. That's why I thought I'd clear things up a little. Aren't I nice? *smug

[Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.