FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A fun Hatrack literary assignment

Author Topic: A fun Hatrack literary assignment
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, your job is to think of a good moment in literature in which the consumption of food is the means of a metamorphosis. The transformation could be physical, emotional, spiritual, etc. The work in question should be relatively well known but can come from any time period or literary tradition.

A few examples to get you started: Circe's magical brews, the Judeo-Christian Forbidden Fruit, Persephone's pomegranate...

Ready? Go!

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's the wicked step-monster giving sleeping beauty the poisoned apple. And Alice drinking that potion to get smaller.

Why?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melissa Dedinová
Member # 7890

- posted      Profile for Melissa Dedinová   Email Melissa Dedinová         Edit/Delete Post 
Gillyweed [Smile]
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds suspiciously like a homework assignment.

Hmm? [Smile]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Proust and his cookies.
Peter Rabbit and his garden feast.
Alice, and just about anything she injested in wonderland.
Violet Beauregard and her Magic Chewing Gum "Violet, you're turning violet, Violet!"
Oh, and what are those yam things in Niven's Ringworld that evolve you into a super-being? I think Teela Brown eats some.
And "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie", it will turn into quite a pest.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Have a biscuit, Potter."

(Alright, not entirely applicable, but fun to say nonetheless)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miro:
Sounds suspiciously like a homework assignment.

Hmm? [Smile]

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. Only much later than you. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Proust and his cookies.
It was madelaines, to be precise. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
quote:
Proust and his cookies.
It was madelaines, to be precise. [Smile]
I've had madelaines. They are like a kind of butter cookie.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, it's written madeleines actually. [Embarrassed]
You're right about how it's made. [Smile] Here it's a common sentence to talk about "la madeleine de Proust" when you have a strong reminiscence.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Babette's Feast by Isak Denisen (aka Karen Blixen of Out of Africa fame)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Dune - Spice, the water of life, etc.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, Gummy juice. It makes bears bounce and little boys super strong.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante: that wasn't exactly from Ringworld it was from his Tales of Known Space. "Protector" was one of the novels.

I should re-read those... =)

Dr Jekel and Mr Hide. Not exactly food, but his potion was a metaphore for alcohol if I recall correctly...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that beans, beans are a magical (or sometimes merely musical) fruit, which are said to promote analgesic bodily processes.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good one.

When Daenerys Targaryen consumed the raw heart of a stallion in A Game of Thrones. It was her a HUGE turning point with her. I think that moment is when she became a woman, her husband's equal, and most importantly, a queen.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Elderberry Wine (Arsenic & Old Lace)
The Cask of Amontialdo (Though never touched)
Under Dog's wonder pill--though that's not really literature.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The deer blood in "Red Dawn."
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The peach in T.S. Eliot's The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Partaking of food as proof of humanity:

In West World they could tell the difference between the robots and the people by who could drink water.

In Harry Potter Nearly Headless Nick laments not being able eat as one of the things he misses most about being alive.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Tante: that wasn't exactly from Ringworld it was from his Tales of Known Space. "Protector" was one of the novels.

I should re-read those...

Yeah, me too. It's been years. I'm pretty sure that Teela Brown ate some at some point in the Ringworld saga. Maybe in Engineers? It was the ultimate fulfillment of her ultimate luckiness.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
I have a good one.

When Daenerys Targaryen consumed the raw heart of a stallion in A Game of Thrones. It was her a HUGE turning point with her. I think that moment is when she became a woman, her husband's equal, and most importantly, a queen.

Hm...that was when she was fairly huge with child, wasn't it? I'd say that the turning point for her was more when she decided to conceive the Stallion that Rides the World.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Polyjuice potion in Harry Potter.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
True and false. The book "Protector" is all about that idea, but Teela Brown *does* turn into one in one of the Ringworld books. The protagonist of those books (I can't recall his name) says that only an ex-wirehead (which he is) would have been able to resist eating it.

There's Popeye and his spinach.

When a vampire eats off of somebody, often times the person being eaten is turned into a vampire.

Or in other vampire lores, if you drink the blood of a vampire you either turn into a vampire yourself, or a ghoulish slave to that vampire.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
*SPOILERS FOR ASOIAF*

quote:
Hm...that was when she was fairly huge with child, wasn't it? I'd say that the turning point for her was more when she decided to conceive the Stallion that Rides the World.
Yes, she was pregnant, and she was showing more and more signs of becoming independant. But she still had serious doubts as to her ability to go forward with the task, and was still basically subordinant to both Viserys and Drogo (Edit: or was Viserys already dead? I need to get my timeline in order). She wasn't a "queen" yet, in her own eyes, or in anyone else's. I'm not sure when she "decided" to concieve anything, unless you are talking about her having sex with Drogo out in the open, and with her on top (it was when she ate the heart that the Crone's declared her child to be the Stallion Who Mounts the World). If so, then yeah, sure that was a very important turning point for her. Would she have walked in the fire at the end of the book if she hadn't eaten the heart? I seriously doubt it. And if she had thrown any of it up, would any of the Dothraki have followed her after Drogo died?

Perhaps I will reread some Dany chapters tonight to re-evaluate the signifigance of that scene, but it was huge from what I can remember. And isn't that the whole reason that scene is in the book? To show her growing into a queen?

[ December 09, 2005, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll have to reread that section as well. I was talking about her decision to initiate sex with Drogo, with her on top, yes. I *think* that Viserys was already dead by the time both of these scenes took place, but I'm not at all sure. If you reread it before I do, let me know what you find.

I guess I think of the scene with her eating the heart more as a further illustration of her character rather than as a defining moment in her life. When you first read it it *looks* like a defining moment, but then the prophesy fizzles, and the whole story that seemed to be unfolding unravels.

Maybe I'm misremembering though. As I said, I'll take a look at it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
if you drink the blood of a vampire you either turn into a vampire yourself, or a ghoulish slave to that vampire.

Which is one of the reasons that I avoid doing that.
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Tante

Best post of the day so far.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Water for Chocolate

Food screwwed over everybody in THAT book. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys!

Er, I mean, good job!

Okay, in strict point of fact, it IS a homework assigment...sort of. I'm 16 pages into my final 20-page paper of the semester and was hoping for one or two more quick examples to throw in. <yawn> I started this thread a bit before I went to bed this morning, and I just recently got up again. Time to get back to writing, I guess.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR:
Elvish Waybread: Lembas
Ent-Draught
hithlun the cordial that Gandalf was given by Elrond before they set off with the Fellowship.

Harry Potter:
Veritaserum

Too Many Movies to Name:
Absinthe (Moulin Rouge perhaps notably)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, hello! Why did no one mention The Very Hungry Caterpillar?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Would the pills in the Matrix work?
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
In "Loose in the Wires" in IGMS, eating that bug led to all sorts of trouble & transformation.
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Lembas waybread of the Elves.
When it sustains Frodo and Sam in Mordor.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Popeye eating spinach [Smile]
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised Lucy's potion which healed hasn't been mentioned here yet. So:

Lucy's healing liquid in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Water of Life, Stranger in a Strange Land style.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.