FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, you guys think youre smart around here? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, you guys think youre smart around here?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
So is it cheating to just google site:www.relpats-eht.com and skip to the last page? I'm always impatient. The last page is some weird hex code anyway, I'll never figure it out.

I took that series of hex codes and used them as colors. Like the first one was:

<span style=font-size:8pt;background-color:"#555273">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>

With all 2296 hex codes one after the other. I wound up with this nifty psychedelic thing, but no matter how I adjust the browser to change the dimensions of the grid, no image I can recognize appears.

The page is here, for anyone who wants to play with it and see if you can make anything of it. If you're interested, 2296 factors to 2^3 * 7 * 41. The most likely grid would seem to be 41 * 56, or 56 * 41, but who knows. And maybe the "only one left" thing means that you need to remove all the colors but one in order to see whatever it is.

Or maybe they aren't colors at all.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs at answer to page five*

I thought he might be going in that direction (I tried something similar as my first attempt) but it took me some googling to finally get it. Very cool. [Cool]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know of a page with the answers?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, Stargate helps me solve puzzles.

Hee hee.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Is 5 the one with the primes or the one about encryption?
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Two was stupid..
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, most people (myself included) just figured what the heck and tried something random on page two and it worked.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Got six. [Cool]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
On 4, are the typos important, or just the missing letters?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Both are important.

edit: Oh hey, I have a palindromic post count! (1551)

Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
So, whats the answer to 1. :'(
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Ok, that was a dead end (and I realized my value was wrong). Still working on 5, the one with the primes. I get the pattern and provided the next one using the encoding he used. But nothing.

hmmm...

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Youth, what's the absolute weirdest thing he's written there? As in, there seems to be no reason for it, except maybe his whim?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

I know next to nothing about encryption. Anyone have hints?
IanO
Member # 186

there are a couple of words there that can be googled, along with encryption. Words that he did not, in fact, give us earlier, so they stand out.
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, I got 1 and 2 now, I knew that had to be part of the clue, but it took me forever to get what it was! Now number 3 is giving me problems.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
I googled relpats-eht to see how many hits I would get from it, and there were quite a lot more than I expected. I'm starting to think this guy created the puzzle just to show off.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please help me with number one? I really am very sure that I know what I'm supposed to be looking at, but I have absolutely no clue what I'm supposed to do with it. Everything I try comes up dead.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Got seven. Onto eight! [Big Grin]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stuck on the one that has only one line (I guess that's seven).

Edit: Never mind. Got it.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Stuck on 5. Any ideas? As I said, I figured out the encoding and what the pattern was, then the next in the sequence, encoded it as per his examples, and entered it. Nothing.
xnera
Member # 187

IanO, check your email.
IanO
Member # 186

I make things too complicated. thanks xnera.
Megan
Member # 5290

For number 1, find the random things referenced in earlier hints and write them out. Then, think about the area of a circle.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

So, how's everyone doing? I'm on ten right now.
Megan
Member # 5290

I got to twelve, with some, uh, help.

As near as I can tell, no one has solved 12 yet.

xnera
Member # 187

Yeah, looks to me no one's got 12, either (I'm assuming we got the same help).
Megan
Member # 5290

More than likely. [Big Grin]

This guy, from everything that I've read, sounds like one of those people who thinks that ONLY people heavy into math and computer science are intelligent. Heaven forbid that people who aren't interested in programming like puzzles. [Wink]

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hung up on number five yet.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

For me, five was where it started to get esoteric.

Spoiler:
You're supposed to use quake, model, and cryptic as clues. They are supposed to point you to the model system used for quake (which, apparently, every high school student knows [Roll Eyes] ). Once you've figured out what encryption to use, you apply it to something in the riddle.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

I've done some googling and still come up dry..
Megan
Member # 5290

Sent you an email. [Smile]
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So I got 1 2 and 3 really quick, but 4 is giving me a little trouble and from what everyone else is saying I shouldn't even bother trying. Oh well. The first few were fun.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get past 3...someone needs to hint me on this. I think I know what I am supposed to do but I can't do it!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Spoiler for p. 3....

The binary converts to ascii text...but only if you add a zero to the beginning of each.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it was going to be something like that!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Stuck on 4 now...
aiua
Member # 7825

For 5 I googled quake model and cryptic and found a whole ton of interesting stuff, but none that makes any sense to my brain.
Do you have any more hints?

Megan
Member # 5290

Ok, sure.

Spoiler for p. 5:
In order to find the answer, you have to use the system model for quake (?), which is apparently something called md5. You should encrypt something on that page using that encryption.

aiua
Member # 7825

So close, I'd found MD1/2/3 but not 5.. unfortunately the 5 part now makes sense..

How does one encrypt something?

xnera
Member # 187

aiua, check your email.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.