FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello, this is the machine.

Author Topic: Hello, this is the machine.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike calling someone and getting their machine. I think the situation can be improved if more people used humour in their little recordings. Here are some examples.

"Hello, this is the Devil, who in Hell do you want."

"Hello, this is Ludwig Wittgenstein, whereof one cannot speak thereof shut up (before I hit you with my pocker)."

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer short, simple messages. The same group of family and friends who call you the most are going to be the ones hearing your message over and over. If it is long or cutesy, it can be annoying.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate when people record their kids. A lot of the time I can't understand their voices and I'm not sure if I called the correct number. It's not cute.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Everyone knows how to use the bleeding thing. Thus, the usual message is pointless.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
Everyone knows how to use the bleeding thing.

Oh, my grandparents never got the hang of it. Every year on my birthday, I would come home from work to find the birthday message. Grandma and Grandpa are on separate extentions:

Grandma: "I think it's the machine."
Grandpa: "What?"
Grandma: "THE MACHINE!"
'Pa: "So what do you do?"
'Ma: "You're supposed to talk."
'Pa: "When do you start talking?"
'Ma: "After it makes a beep sound."
'Pa: "Did it beep yet?"
'Ma: "I couldn't tell. You were talking."
'Pa: "I think it beeped already."
(very formally) "Hello. This message is for my wonderful granddaughter, Esther, on the occaision of her 32nd birthday. This is your grandfather, Mr. Samuel Newmark calling."
'Ma: "And Mrs. Eva Newmark, her grandmother!"
'Pa: "Yes. This message is from both of her grandparents, the Newmarks. We are calling you to wish you a happy birthday."
Both, roughly in unison: "Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

Oh, how I miss them! I wish I had saved all those messages. No one could leave an answering machine message like Grandma and Grandpa!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
All I ask is that people say who they are on the machine, so I know I called the right number.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when people say "you've reached..." and then a number. That does NOT help. If you're going to say who the person has reached, say your freaking name!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, that's priceless.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking the same thing, Belle.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents always told me it was stupid to have your kids' voices on the answering maching, because then any stalker or predator would know that you're not home AND there might be little kids there. Makes sense to me.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

You are joking, right?
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
My message: This is (first name of my wife and I). Please leave us a message.

The only downfall to having such a short greeting is that it's sometimes too fast for telemarketers to hang up and we get blank messages.

My favorite was my in laws. My F-I-L is kinda slow and you can tell he's reading the text from the user guide when asking people to leave their name, number and a brief message. The funny part was at the end when you could here him mutter "Where's stop?" before he hit the button and you hear the beep.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
My rant is about people who leave messages. I hate it when someone calls my cell phone and leaves a long voice mail message, especially when all they really had to say was, "Call me back." I have caller ID on my cell phone and if it is someone I know and love, their name pops up when they call. I know to call them back without the hassle of using my tedious voicemail system that will not let me fast forward or just delete without hearing the whole message.

Most of the time the only reason I don't answer is that I am trying to find the phone in my purse or under the carseat or buried in the sofa cushions and I am just not fast enough. In that case, I call right back. Otherwise, I still see a missed call and will call back as soon as I can. And half the time, I am already calling them back before they are done with their message.

I am not complaining if there is important info to relate like, "We are meeting at Bill's instead of Nate's," or "You pick up the kid at day care today since I have to work late." Messages like this, however, drive me nuts: "Hey, what's up? It's just me sitting around sculpting my belly button lint and thought I'd call. It's 3:30 here and I have no idea what time you get off work but when you do, give me a call. What time does school end anyway? When I was in school I think we were out by now but I guess you probably have to stay after since you're the teacher and all. Oh wait, when you call back, I might be in the shower (this lint is grimey you know) so if I don't answer, that's where I am. But you can always just leave a message and I will call you back. Or you know, I can just see you tomorrow at Mom's and we can finish discussing the whosiwhatsit from last week. Anyway, I better end this message now before I use up all your tape. Oh wait, you have voicemail! Silly me! Well, I'll just talk to you later. Call me. Bye!"

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Mandy, do you have Cingular? Because I used to be able to delete voicemails without listening to the whole thing. Then sometime in November, they made me set up my voicemail again, and now it makes me listen to the message in its entirety before I can delete it! [Mad]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I just get annoyed because my voicemail plays all of the messages that are marked for deletion (as in, I didn't delete them when I first listened to them, so they will stop being saved soon) before I can listen to my new voicemails.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everyone knows how to use the bleeding thing. Thus, the usual message is pointless.

And everyone has heard every "clever" message you can think of. My issue is not with content so much as length. I had a friend who once put a clip of classical music with him and his housemates singing something about not being home in lengthy opera-style singing. It was about a minute and a half long. We then had to explain to them that this is why people called but never left messages. What a waste of time, for a joke that wasn't really funny in the first place.

--Enigmatic's not home. Leave a message. Beep.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I also hate it when people leave messages like, "Hi, it's me. Give me a call back. Bye."

Who the heck are you? Why do you expect me to recognize your voice?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use the automated machine voice (the one that comes on the machine,) but then my machine broke, so now I don't have one. It's not like I leave the house or anything, but if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it. Why do people think that I'll answer after more than 3 or 4 rings? I mean, machines pick up after 4, so why let it ring 8 times? Now I just turn off the ringer. The hard part is remembering to turn it back on.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a brother-in-law that put a very long and supposedly humorous message on his machine. The first time I waitied all the way through it and as part of my message I said "I will never wait all the way through that message again. I will hang up instead and you will not get my message."
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the perfect answering maching recording:

Machine picks up. People expect the usual message. It starts:

"Oh, ok. I thought I'd missed ya. Just barely got to the phone on time. Whaddya want? You know what? It doesn't matter because it isn't me, this is the machine. So why don't you leave your name and phone number after the beep. Beep. Ha ha, got you again. The next beep."

End message.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How original, Steve.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That was old ten years ago.

Not funny.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm a teenager. I'm allowed to be immature every now and then. And I can't be expected to be creative all of the time. Its very trying to have to out weird myself everytime I speak, be it at school or in public.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I only have my number on the machine. It was recommended to me when it was me and my roommate living alone, and I never got out of the habit. Also, my husband answers variously to Jim, James, and Jimmy, so we'd have to pick one.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Enigmatic, I object. The Wittgenstein was my own.This means a duel!
[Evil Laugh] [Evil] [Mad] [Hat] [Party] [Wall Bash] [Grumble] [Monkeys]

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to change mine again. It used to be a sound clip (about 20 seconds) from the Transformers (the original) movie. Now it's a very rude, cranky message that might offend quite a number of people. Finally got rid of apparent telemarketer from LA. They only got replaced by some idiot out of Gloucester, VA. I like to have fun with mine because I hardly get any phone calls to begin with. I tell most people to never call me except if it's an emergency or they just need to talk with me. It's all due to this whacked out rotating shift schedule that I work. It's just easier on all of us.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Um, no.

Here, it's still a rather new invention. People call us when we're not home, and if it's foreigners, we get a message.

If it's a local, we hear all sorts of confused muttering going on while whoever it is who called us tries to figure out what to do next.

Five times.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm a teenager. I'm allowed to be immature every now and then. And I can't be expected to be creative all of the time. Its very trying to have to out weird myself everytime I speak, be it at school or in public.
This is perhaps the most eloquent statement on what it means to be a teenager that I have ever read. It feels so TRUE!

I remember when I got my first answering machine. The man came to our house and plugged it and set it up for us. He explained the IMPORTANCE of the proper message. He then proceded to record it FOR us so we wouldn't screw it up.

The script was:

"You have reached <insert PHONE NUMBER>. We can't come to the phone right now. At the tone, please leave your name, phone number and BRIEF message, and we get right back to you."

He then explained WHY you say your phone number, and not your name, and why you emphasize the word BRIEF.

It was a hoot.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm glad that I was able to reveal one of the numerous truths of life to you. Now, can I have my brain back?
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have Cingular and I hate their voicemail. I used to have Sprint, which had better voicemail, but bad everything else. I just rarely check my messages. It drives my mother nuts. I told her not to leave messages anymore, that I will just call her back but she still does it. Oh, well. It could be worse. They could not call me at all.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I'd love to have a voicemail answering thing that says, "hi Batman isn't in the batcave right now, please leave a message." Because telemarketers call my house asking for Mr/Mrs. Batman due to getting out last name wrong and I'm so tempted to say sorry they're out waxing the Batmobile.

One of my friends had a message that said [phone number] leave a message. It was so annoying.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Do it, kojabu! Do it! And then give me your number, and don't pick up so that you can get many voicemails of me laughing like a moron.

I'm Batman! Hello, good citizen! You could be my assistant! Would you like that? Would you like to ride with Batman? To the Batcave!

-pH

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you with Cingular, you can get to the end of the message by pressing 33. [Smile] (It worked that way with AT&T, but I don't know if it works for Verizon etc.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon, if you know the thing it says at the end of the message(press 7 to save, 9 to delete or whatever), you can just press those keys. You don't have to sit through the whole message, at least not for ones you've already listened to. I haven't checked on new messages.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Yeah, but Steve wasn't.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

Grandma: "I think it's the machine."
Grandpa: "What?"
Grandma: "THE MACHINE!"
'Pa: "So what do you do?"
'Ma: "You're supposed to talk."
'Pa: "When do you start talking?"
'Ma: "After it makes a beep sound."
'Pa: "Did it beep yet?"
'Ma: "I couldn't tell. You were talking."
'Pa: "I think it beeped already."
(very formally) "Hello. This message is for my wonderful granddaughter, Esther, on the occaision of her 32nd birthday. This is your grandfather, Mr. Samuel Newmark calling."
'Ma: "And Mrs. Eva Newmark, her grandmother!"
'Pa: "Yes. This message is from both of her grandparents, the Newmarks. We are calling you to wish you a happy birthday."
Both, roughly in unison: "Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

Oh, how I miss them! I wish I had saved all those messages. No one could leave an answering machine message like Grandma and Grandpa!

That's brilliant.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather actually used to habitually unplug the answering machine we bought him because he thought that the little red LED light (the one that indicates the machine is on) was wasting electricity.

We never managed to convince him to stop.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"He then explained WHY you say your phone number, and not your name...."

I agree with this completely. I always give the number and not my name. My friends all know my voice and number by heart, so they know it's me.

For first-time callers, they obviously know my number so the message gives them just enough information to verify that they've reached the right person.

Not giving your name prevents random callers, stalkers, and sales people from getting even more personal information about you.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynx
Member # 8760

- posted      Profile for Lynx   Email Lynx         Edit/Delete Post 
Our machine just says, "Hello, you've reached the Jacobson's. We're not in so leave a message and we'll try to get back to you." I said try because it's likely that me trying will be me just thinking that I really should call you back but not doing it. We have this... oh, lets call her a "friend" who any time she calls leaves a message going on and on in her awful voice about how we shouldn't say we're not in, people will rob us, blah blah blah. Her message on her machine was actually something like this, "Hi, we're home right now but we're too busy cleaning our guns to answer the phone. Leave us a message and we'll call you back after we finish putting in a mine field in our yard and feeding our rabid, flesh eating dog." *sigh*
My mother-in-law's messages are the best! She just goes on and on and on and on and on until it just cuts her off mid sentence and then she'll call back and go on and on and on... you get the idea.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Yeah, but Steve wasn't.
Tante, you are quite right.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Hi, we're home right now but we're too busy cleaning our guns to answer the phone. Leave us a message and we'll call you back after we finish putting in a mine field in our yard and feeding our rabid, flesh eating dog.
[ROFL]
If I ever get another home, I will make that my answering machine message.

-pH

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I once sung the whole national anthem, of the United States, as a message on someone's answering machine. I even included that fireworks exploding at the end.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.