FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you put in YOUR cholent? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What do you put in YOUR cholent?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Friday morning, alarm clock goes off at 4:15. Time to do the Shabbos cooking. Gefilte fish, roasted chicken, challah, kugel, chicken soup and cholent.

My cholent recipe has been evolving over the years, as friends share their tips and secret ingredients. So, this Shabbos, my cholent has beans, barley, potatoes, a clove-studded onion (Thanks, KQ!), beef chuck chunks, chuck pastrami chunks, garlic, paprika, ketchup, and beer. And yeah, it is SO good!

So, this erev Shabbos, what do you put in YOUR cholent?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if we'll have it this week. But how early you wake up on Fridays to prepare the food!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I get extra sleep on Shabbos to make up for it. Ah...Shabbos minucha!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know what a cholent is! Or gefilte fish or challah. Kugel, however I know. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Challah is just the best bread ever.
I wish I had some right now.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Gefilte fish... The only food your allowed not to like in a Jewish household [Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I did a Google search and found a recipe. It doesn't sound bad at all, but it did say that the homemade stuff tastes nothing at all like the horrid stuff in jars, so...

Challah bread I knew, I just forgot.

Cholent, now... sounds basically like really slow cooked stew. Okay, I feel happy now. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The horrid stuff in jars in that weird jelled fish broth is passe. The current favorite is made with these frozen loaves of ground fish. It is lovely to make -- none of the fuss of grinding up your own fish -- and a vast improvement over the nasty jarred variety. You can boil it in the traditional fashion, or bake it (which I prefer). I've baked it in tomato sauce, vegetable sauce, or in broth. For this Shabbos, I made a three layer gefilte fish, which looks fancy and tastes good, but using the frozen fish loaves, is super easy to make.

Challah is like Jewish Brioche. A rich egg bread. French toast made with lesser breads is just not worth it. A really good home made challah can almost be a meal in itself.

But Cholent is the star of the Shabbos table, a dish eaten by Jews in every community all over the world, with infinite local variations. We have a saying that what makes the cholent so delicious is a "secret ingredient" available only to the Jews -- Shabbos.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The jelled fish broth is called "yich", apparently. Very descriptive. We use the Ungers one where you just boil it for an hour or so with some onions in the water.

The benefit of the loaf-type gefilte fish is that you don't have to deal with the chreyn falling off. When you slice it, it's flat on both sides (except for the ends, and that can be dealt with)

With cholent, we can't use beans. I get all anaphalactic and all with beans. So we use lentils instead. Works just as well, if not better.

Sometimes we use beef or bison for the meat, but sometimes we use chicken. And believe it or not, a bit of cinnamon goes great in cholent, particularly if you're using chicken.

And challah... well, the challah I make has a reputation in these parts. I took my Mom's challah recipe (which she got from her sisterhood cookbook), and modified it for our bread machine. I just use it to mix and knead the dough. Then I take it out, braid it, and let it rise in the oven, after which I paint it with some egg/water mixture and bake it.

But a few years ago, I tried substituting whole wheat flour. Most whole wheat bread I've tasted is coarse and harsh. Even the half-and-half whole wheat and white wheat bread isn't to my taste usually. But my challah is 100% whole wheat, with some added gluten to make it rise better, and it is just amazing. Soft and yummy, and without the pastiness of white bread even egg bread.

If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be happy to post it. The only down side is that it isn't great for french toast. I still use egg challah for that. And I have a non-secret recipe for that, too.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I found the bison in the cholent to be a tad tough, while the beef chuck gets meltingly tender. Chicken? Are you using parts? With bones? I'd like to try that. Post details, please.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I make a half-whole-wheat challah that gets raves (I've done the 100% with added gluten, and I don't care for it as much). Lately I've been using white whole wheat instead of the usual red wheat flour. I really like it.

I'm not a huge cholent fan (I know, I know -- but overcooked potatoes just don't do it for me), but my kids like it. So I will be making it this week. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole small onions (I'll have to see if I have any whole cloves), carrots, barley and wheat kernels, a small amount of beans and lentils, chunks of beef and lamb, lots of garlic, a bit of pepper. Put to cook a few minutes before Shabbos on extra-low, so it cooks as little as possible.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tante, I have used chicken in cholent, and the bones get soft enough to eat (like canned salmon). (Which means you can't sample from the cholent Friday night, as some people like to do. It's not "fully cooked" until those chicken bones are soft -- at least, so says Shmiras Shabbos.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
You're Shabbat meal is different from mine. My Dad's a Persian Sephardic and my mom's Spanish Sephardic, so that probably explains it. Gefilte fish...blech. I've tried cholent before and I liked it a little.

[ December 30, 2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: GaalDornick ]

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sephardis make cholent. They just call it chamim and put odd things in it. Like wheat kernels (which I like so much that I use them) and hard-boiled eggs (which I don't like at all).
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I start my cholent early early Friday morning. The cholent is ready for our Friday dinner. Sometimes it goes on the blech, and sometimes in the crockpot.

I like a few slices of kishka on top of the cholent. And either an already baked potato kugel hovering on top or I just mix up the kugel batter and pour it on in a sort of free-form kugel that sets on top of the cholent and absorbs all the delicious cholenty goodness.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Really? You can cook a potato kugel in the cholent? That sounds wonderful. I'll have to try it.

Btw, I hate cholent eggs. I don't get the attraction. And isn't it a problem anyway, since you can't check for bloodspots?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

As I dislike potato kugel fairly intensely, I don't cook one in my cholent. My mother does sometimes though. The other thing she puts in is essentially a large, flattened kneidel that cooks on top. We call it a kigel -- I don't remember why. (And no, we do not pronounce kugel that way when referring to anything else. Maybe a guest named it?) Maybe I'll do that this week . . . but I need eggs.

I agree with you on the taste of cholent eggs. But not everyone agrees that checking eggs (at least, those bought in the supermarket, produced by hens that get no contact with roosters) is that crucial. After all, you eat hard-boiled eggs in general, neh?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, can I come over and eat at your house?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I don't even know what a cholent is! Or gefilte fish or challah. Kugel, however I know. [Razz]

You do too! Remember my kishke thread? I promised you and Telpy I'd make cholent if I ever met you guys in person. [Razz]

Tante, my cholent has corned beef, barley, beans, potatoes, eggs, and kishke.

And yes, I do make it myself. [Smile] My mom says I'm probably the only person under 30 on the entire planet who actually knows how to make it!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, Raia, honey, it's just my lousy goldfish memory kicking in. [Kiss]
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute. Did you just do a dobie on your OWN thread? [Confused]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This is NOT a dobie.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
<dobie purist> there isn't a link in the first post of either thread, not a dobie </dobie purist>
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

KQ -- you (and the rest of the Ketchups) are welcome on any Shabbos for some cholent.

I posted the Cholent thread and the Jello thread at the same time because I was wondering if Hatrack had a greater interest in Cholent, or in its polar opposite, Jello. Alas, Jello won out, by a significant margin.

I will be campaigning endlessly to remedy this unfortunate situation, and will re-conduct the survey at some later date, to evaluate our progress.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, next time I'm in New Jersey on a Friday afternoon, I'm going to invite myself over.

Don't hold your breath, much as I'd like to, it may be a while. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You can stay in the guest room.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, you have a guest room? I aspire to someday have a guest room.

Okay, now to just work out how to get to New Jersey from here, wiht no money and no car. [Wink]

Raia
Member # 4700

Quid: [Kiss]

I just thought I'd point it out!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

KQ, have you considered this?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Unfortunately, I am not a laser. [Frown]
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
As I dislike potato kugel fairly intensely, I don't cook one in my cholent. My mother does sometimes though. The other thing she puts in is essentially a large, flattened kneidel that cooks on top.

Interesting! My partner makes these exquisitely light kneidelach, and she puts oregano in them. It sounds strange, but they are absolutely amazing.

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I agree with you on the taste of cholent eggs. But not everyone agrees that checking eggs (at least, those bought in the supermarket, produced by hens that get no contact with roosters) is that crucial. After all, you eat hard-boiled eggs in general, neh?

Valid point.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I posted the Cholent thread and the Jello thread at the same time because I was wondering if Hatrack had a greater interest in Cholent, or in its polar opposite, Jello. Alas, Jello won out, by a significant margin.

I will be campaigning endlessly to remedy this unfortunate situation, and will re-conduct the survey at some later date, to evaluate our progress.

Of course you can eat left-over Jello. Leftover cholent... not such a good idea.

There's a kosher Chinese place here in Chicago called Mi Tzu Yun that has kishke on the menu. But I've seen places that have cholent on the menu, and I can't even wrap my mind around eating cholent when it's not Shabbat.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

Tante, I am saddened with you. I, however, am firmly in the cholent camp and will strive to aid you in converting these the lost souls of our dear brothers and sisters from Jello Hell and into Cholent Heaven.

Of course, who am I to talk when I've never actually had Cholent? [Razz]

martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never made cholent, but my shul's recipe has chick peas in it. I think it's vegetarian. It also has tomato -- I think it's diced tomato from a can. It's good stuff.

The best challah around (Boston) is Cheryl-Ann's, which is legendary. I've had their whole wheat challah, and it's really really yummy... though I don't know if it's 100% WW.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
We put turkey sausage and kasha in ours. We switched to turkey sausage when my dad's cholesterol went up.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The cholent came out splendidly this week, likely in part due to a substantial amount of beef, lamb, and veal. While it did not get completely finished, my kids assure me they will happily eat the leftovers tomorrow night. (I will have leftover chicken, since I agree that leftover cholent does not appeal.)

Oh, and I often use oregano in my kneidlach too. [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

Are you kidding?? I LIVE for leftover cholent! [Wink]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, glad I read this thread and learned what cholent is--will have to start looking for recipes! How is it pronounced?

That 3-layer gefilte fish looks intriguing. (I have bad memories of the stuff in jars!)

Rivka, my mom has started using the white wheat for making her whole wheat bread, and we all love it.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

TCHO-lent

Almost everyone has bad memories of the stuff in jars. I used to wonder who bought the stuff anymore -- but my kids like it, so now I buy it!

Hooray for white wheat!

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mom says I'm probably the only person under 30 on the entire planet who actually knows how to make it!
Not likely. I was making my family's cholent when I was in my teens.

(Several potatoes, enough water to cover same, onion powder, garlic powder, meat. Optional additions: barley, kishke.)

Pronunciation: CHUH-lent or CHOO-lent, depending on one's accent. For a change, the "ch" is not a gutteral sound, but rather the sound found at the start of "chipmunk." (This points to an origin from a language other than Hebrew or Yiddish, both of which lack that sound; one theory is that it's from the Old French "chaud lent," or "hot and slow.")

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I didn't know that. Cool.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Not "cool". Hot and slow. Pay attention!
rivka
Member # 4859

*sigh* There really is a conspiracy to get me to stop using that word, isn't there?

How much did my kids pay you?

Shmuel
Member # 7586

Actually, let me retract one part of that: Yiddish does have the phoneme in question; otherwise tchotchke and tchaynik wouldn't exist, among others. Still, the word appears not to be native to either.

Edited to add: since moving out, I've gotten more experimental, often adding salsa.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Interesting. Where did Yiddish get the sound from? French? Russian? Polish?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Hypotheses abound regarding cholent etymology.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Where did Yiddish get the sound from?
That is a good question, and I have no idea.

...Frumspeak gives a Russian origin for "chepper," for what that's worth. And, according to Wikipedia, the sound is found in German. (It's the first postalveolar sound listed.)

Edited to add: then again, according to this article, it shows up in German only in loan words...

[ January 02, 2006, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

rivka
Member # 4859

*reads all of Shmuel's links and several of Tante's*

So the answer is, nobody really knows? [Wink]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

Pretty much. [Smile]

Looking around a bit further, the Wikipedia articles on Cholent and Yiddish language are interesting, too.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Drat you Shmuel! There's a picture in that wiki article! Now I'm hungrier than ever. [Frown]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.