FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you put in YOUR cholent? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What do you put in YOUR cholent?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

If I love them, will they feed me?

*loves Jewish Mothers*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup, have some cholent! But first, have some gefilte fish. And some chicken soup. With kneidlach. Have some kishke to go with it. We have three kinds of kugel -- which would you like? Oh, go ahead, just take some of each. I hope you saved room for strudel and rugelach!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves Tante especially much* *politely ignores gefilte fish*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Right back at you. Put lots of horseradish (chraine) on the gefilte fish. It kills the taste. We wouldn't eat it any other way!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Can either of you ladies explain to me what exactly a Cholent is? I'm left out in the dark and I want to come into the light!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's defined on... I think the first or second page of the thread. It's technically any dish that cooks a long time over low heat or in a slow oven or in the crockpot, so you can have a hot dish on the Sabbath without cooking. Usually, in practice, it refers to a stew-type dish, often with meat, sometimes with a, well, for lack of a better word, dumpling-type thing on top.

Tante, I'd take your word for it and try it, but horseradish is out right now-- pregnancy heartburn, you know. [Kiss]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Put lots of horseradish (chraine) on the gefilte fish. It kills the taste. We wouldn't eat it any other way!
Polluter! Gefilte fish should be eaten plain or with a dab of mayo. Chrain is nasty.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Mayo! [Roll Eyes]

Must be some weird California thing.

Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents will feed all of you. Really. Sometimes my friends will just stop my parents' for a meal when they go to NYC.

The important thing to understand about gefilte is that it is just a delivery vehicle. It's the Jewish equivalent of white bread. It's all about what you put on it. Which must, must be horseradish. Or wasabi. Wasabi works well too.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I picked up the mayo bit when I was at Breuers. You know, in Manhattan?

And wasabi is even worse than chrain. Horseradish! >_< Properly made gefilte fish is no mere "white bread" vehicle.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
I acknowledge your point, rivka.

I was talking about the bottled junk that most non-Jews are familiar with. That stuff is just nasty once you hit puberty or so.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I like wasabi! S'chug, too!
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Ela! Mein Shvester!
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I like wasabi a lot. I love horseradish, but I'm talking the creamy kind you put on roast beef. "Prepared" horseradish--did I get that right?--not so much.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasabi!

In Sinhalese, it means "to poison". [Big Grin] It's my favorite Sinhalese word. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quid, I have GOT to turn you on to s'chug! You will fall in love all over again.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.