FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What do you put in YOUR cholent? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What do you put in YOUR cholent?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I just learned something important by reading about cholent!

I have always had bad luck cooking beans -- seems no matter how long I soak, no matter how long I simmer, they don't soften properly.

Now, it's been a long time since I've tried, but after reading this (see below), I wonder if I always added tomatoes or something else acidic to the beans before they were cooked? Seems like this is a tip that I should have heard before!

quote:
Choose whatever beans you like or have on hand what kind you cook makes little difference in flavor. Navy beans, lima beans are common but there is no law against using black beans, red beans or even fava beans. Your cholent will gain in eye-appeal if you use two or three kinds of beans with different sizes and color. (The only kind you should not use is canned beans.) If your recipe includes acidic ingredient, such as tomato sauce, stir in those ingredients only after the beans are fully cooked. In acidic liquid beans will not soften and you may end up with a wonderful cholent but your family will crack or break their crowns while attempting to bite through the beans.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also just add a little baking soda to neutralize the acid if you put the soaked dried beans and tomatoes both in. I do it all the time.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, thanks for the baking soda tip.

quote:
originally posted by Tante Shvester on the Jello thread:
You think we can get the LDS crowd to start eating cholent?

I think you are well on your way. But I won't be heating it on a blech [Wink] .

Besides, we are supposed to have dried beans and grains in our food storage, so it seems like a perfect fit!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at my friend's this weekend, her husband (in charge of the cholent-making), lined the pot with an oven bag (he used the ones intended for ham). It made the clean-up extremely simple. I absolutely hate cleaning the pot the next day.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They make ones just for crock-pots too. The problem is it messes with the liquid balance something awful. But yeah, I should dig out the box I have of them and go back to using 'em.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it make you need more or less liquid? I've seen them, but never tried them.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Less. It keeps the liquid from boiling off as much. It can also mean that the temperature needs to be a touch higher.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Interesting. So what happens when you use it for something like our favorite cranberry chicken that takes no added liquid, just meat and sauce? More sauce? And for a soup/stew, you could just adjust the liquid down and get the right consistency?
rivka
Member # 4859

It's been a while since I used the things. But my memory is that saucy things end up with watery sauce, and that adjusting the liquid is possible but annoying.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"Almost everyone has bad memories of the stuff in jars. I used to wonder who bought the stuff anymore -- but my kids like it, so now I buy it!"

I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world that likes Manischewitz (not sweet) gefilte fish in gelled broth.

Never heard of cholent, though.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

The jarred white fish is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I have always had bad luck cooking beans -- seems no matter how long I soak, no matter how long I simmer, they don't soften properly.

Uprooted, I didn't know about the acid bit affecting beans either, so thanks for the tip.

Here's what I do, and I've never had a problem with hard beans. Cover beans with liquid so it's an inch or so above the level of the beans. Bring to a boil, then turn heat off and let soak until the next day. Change the water, then cook until soft.

By doing that, most of the stuff that causes gas leaves the beans and the beans cook faster the next day. My chile never causes anyone to have the farts.

I also cook the beans all the way through before adding anything else to the beans. On the other hand, I haven't ever made cholent either.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a recipe for chopped chicken livers. I use to live in Chicago and loved the ethic foods I could eat.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I buy the frozen and doctor it up myself.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean frozen chopped chicken livers? Iowa is such a white bread place. When Kiraa stopped at our local taco place, she asked what kind of tacos do you have. Hamburger. We missed tiny Mexican places with 50 dofferent menu items. miss lemon grass chicken.Cuban sandwiches,pyrogies, decent lox.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want a recipe for curried chicken livers? That I can get for you. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Chopped Chicken Livers

1 lb chicken livers
4 Tbs schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
2 onions, diced
3 hard boiled egg yolks
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Wash the livers and remove discolored spots. Drain any liquid.

There's a whole bit in this recipe about how you're supposed to saute 1 onion in 2 Tbsp of schmaltz, then discard that onion, keeping the schmaltz for the next step, but I just saute both onions in 4 Tbs of schmaltz, set the onions aside and then add them both back in later. I guess fresh onion would give it a different bite.

Cook the livers in the onion-flavored schmaltz in a skillet for about 10 minutes. Remove any membrane. Chop or grind the egg yolks, liver, (and the onions). Add the salt and pepper and mix.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

While I'm in here I looked up cholent, and found recipes for:

Meat Cholent (Brisket is the meat)
Potato Cholent
Cholent with Knaidel
Quick Kasha Cholent (which sounds like it defeats the purpose. It only cooks two hours)
And Quick Lamb Cholent. (Same here) (Apparently lamb isn't meat?)

These are from my Jennie Grossinger book.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick cholent is a bit of a paradox. Lamb is indeed meat. The recipe list has me scratching my head. [Confused]

Any liver made in a kosher recipe must be broiled before anything else is done to it. My son and I prefer chopped beef liver to chopped chicken liver, but I guess that is a matter of personal preference.

And -- hooray -- the cholent thread has stayed on the first page longer than the jello thread, and is catching up to it in amount of posts. Perhaps it just got a slow start because it was born on Erev Shabbos.

Go, cholent, go!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Jello has a short shelf life. It's just not as interesting as cholent, Tante. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

No arguments from me.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I make a vegetarian cholent, based on a recipe I got from the Lubavitch cookbook, The Spirit and Spice of Kosher-Jewish Cooking. I put in barley and mixed beans - kidney and lima, predominantly, but I also include a few navy beans, pea beans, pink beans, red beans, whatever I happen to have in the cupboard. On occasion I have included chickpeas. I mix in a fried onion or two for flavor, and the secret ingredient ( [Wink] ) - ketchup. I layer sliced potatoes on top. It comes out tasty and my family always enjoys it.

Once, when I got home late and didn't have time to cook, I made a quick cholent by heating together the following ingredients till edible and throwing them in the crockpot: 1 cup of barley, 2 cans kidney beans, 1 can chickpeas, 1 can Heinz vegetarian baked beans, a handful of baby lima beans, some dried onion flakes, a chopped raw onion, about a 1/4 cup ketchup, and some sliced potato. I was afraid it would turn out inedible, but it turned out tasty.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Well, what do I know from kosher law? Mine certainly isn't when I use butter instead of schmaltz.

But I would have assumed that Grossinger's was kosher. Are calf's brains kosher?

They also have a different recipe for chopped liver, which can be calf, beef or chicken. The recipe is a little different, but not much. I prefer chicken.

Then there's the recipes for vegetarian chopped liver, and dairy liver. Dairy liver is actually vegetarian, the vegetarian liver has sardines in it.

BTW, the book doesn't claim that lamb isn't meat, it's just the weird juxtaposition against the "Meat Cholent" in the previous recipe.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I've had lots of kinds of vegetarian liver, but never with sardines in it. I've had it with nuts, with peas, with green beans, with eggs, with eggplants. Oil and onions are invariably involved.

Calves brains can be kosher, but good luck finding any.

I like lamb in my cholent. But then again, I like it when it is not in my cholent, too.

Ela
Member # 1365

I think I may have had vegetarian liver with sardines (that's not really vegetarian, you know [Wink] ), but more frequently, it has had the ingredients Tante Shvester has mentioned.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

"I like lamb in my cholent. But then again, I like it when it is not in my cholent, too."

Hear hear!

As I said before, I'd never heard of cholent before, probably because it's very function specific. Sounds like you could cook almost anything in a crock pot and call it cholent. But does anyone make cholent on Tuesday?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

The dairy liver is made with mushrooms, onion and egg.
Ela
Member # 1365

I like lamb, but we rarely ever eat it.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Sounds like you could cook almost anything in a crock pot and call it cholent.
Bingo! Give the man a cookie. [Wink]
quote:
But does anyone make cholent on Tuesday?
Sure. Leftovers. [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The Tante is well-pleased that the cholent thread has finally grown longer than the jello thread.

Hooray for Hatrack!

Ela
Member # 1365

I thought you went to bed. [No No]
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
gefilte fish . . .

>_<

blech!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Are you basing that solely on the jarred stuff, or have you ever tasted the real thing?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Since I didn't prepare it, I couldn't honestly tell you.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I'm wondering if I should ever try "real" gefilte fish, since I love the "fake" stuff.

Would it just spoil it for me?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
quote:
quote:
Sounds like you could cook almost anything in a crock pot and call it cholent.
Bingo! Give the man a cookie. [Wink]
It there any prohibition on turning off a switch on the sabbath? I mean, it's the same amount of work. So if you prepare cholent in a crock pot on friday, can you turn off the pot on saturday morning, or do you have to wait for sundown?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
gefilte fish . . .

>_<

blech!

Gefilte fish doesn't go on the blech. Cholent goes on the the blech.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It there any prohibition on turning off a switch on the sabbath? I mean, it's the same amount of work. So if you prepare cholent in a crock pot on friday, can you turn off the pot on saturday morning, or do you have to wait for sundown?
There is such a prohibition (keep in mind that "work" is not a good translation of melacha). So either you leave the empty crock pot on, or you have it on a timer (what many observant Jews call "Shabbos clocks").
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Hey! I just realized, I make cholent all the time.

Sometimes I call it split pea soup.

Sometimes I call it navy bean soup. (mmm! pork cholent...)

Sometimes I call it mushy peas.

Sometimes I call it beef bourguignonne.

I gotta work on my timing though.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
I'm wondering if I should ever try "real" gefilte fish, since I love the "fake" stuff.

Would it just spoil it for me?

Maybe, maybe not. My kids like both (but prefer the good stuff). Does having steak mean you won't enjoy a burger ever again?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You can not turn off the pot. Or any light switches. Whatever is on at the start of Shabbos stays on. Unless it is on a timer that automatically turns it off without any action on your part.

Edit -- or what rivka said

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Hey! I just realized, I make cholent all the time.

Sometimes I call it split pea soup.

Sometimes I call it navy bean soup. (mmm! pork cholent...)

Sometimes I call it mushy peas.

Sometimes I call it beef bourguignonne.

I gotta work on my timing though.

Did you leave them cooking at least 12-16 hours? Otherwise, they're posers.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Mushy Peas and Beef bourguignonne have both done 12 hours.

According to my friend June, Mushy Peas must be cooked for "ever." I tried to get her to be more specific, but she says that's a unit of time.

Directions:

Cook for 1 ever.

That's a metric ever, by the way, not a standard one.

Sounds like cholent needs to be cooked between 1 and 2 evers.

Split pea and navy bean will do in 4 to 6 hours, if they're soaked overnight first. Guess they don't count.

Icarus
Member # 3162

My Cuban cookbook, vintage 80 years or so ago, often includes such directions as "cook until done" and quantities such as "some."
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Especially when my brother-in-law is staying with us, I make vegetarian chili. Cholent-style, on the blech. But we never call it cholent. It is chili.

Also, sometimes I make a thick tasty soup, like mushroom barley or pea. We don't call that cholent, either, we call it soup.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I never would have thought Tante would act so serious.

I would have thought the pork cholent would have eliminated any thought that I might be serious about calling it cholent.

But hey! The thread's still going!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

No cholent in our house this week. But there was about a gallon and a half of chicken soup for us to slurp. It worked, too. We are all starting to feel better.

(and I hate to admit it, but the only other thing anyone felt up to eating was Kojel -- Kosher Jello)

Ela
Member # 1365

No cholent in our house this week, either. No chicken soup, either. [Wink]
Minerva
Member # 2991

My parents came up this weekend to visit. My mom brought a pot in a cooler, with all of the cholent ingredients already in it (kiske-based). My dad carried it into my house and says to me, "Don't argue. She was afraid that you aren't eating well enough." My mom is one of those stereotypical Jewish mothers that says things like, "Have more cake. It's good for you."
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Got to love those Jewish Mothers.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.