FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's ON, Tante. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: It's ON, Tante.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
GO FASTER! Tante is an unbeatable force. I can only occasionally disable her with my cuteness.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I can disable her with my camel cookies. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly newbies. [Razz]

Good to know about Bawls, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

rivka, I am offended that you call me a newbie when I am, indeed, quite more than a newbie. I'm a Less-Posts-Than-You-But-Not-Newbie. Or a LPTYBNN. Pronounced the same as Lipton, as in the tea. The 'b' is silent.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat* Whatever you say, dear.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Am I a newbie if I'm real? I have met OSC and his wife...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that saying you are not a newbie is a sure sign that you are still a newbie.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm glad you feel that I'm always right rivka. Its boosts my self-esteem so much. I feel like I could go out and cure appendicitis.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I think that saying you are not a newbie is a sure sign that you are still a newbie.
That, and challenging someone with 10 times as many posts as you to a posting race. [Wink]
Tinros
Member # 8328

So I have no life. Sue me.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

No, I'm just being proud. And, by the way, there is no reason to discriminate because someone has less posts than you do. It 'tis rude and unnecessary.
rivka
Member # 4859

I don't generally consider post count worth mentioning -- unless someone else brings it up. Then it's fair game.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, post count is generally considered basis for one's "noobiness," so to speak. And it is not very nice. And 'tis also not very nice to generalize and assume that someone, like myself, is a "noob," as it were, for trying to protect himself from a rude and unnecessary insult, the calling of the "noob."
rivka
Member # 4859

1) Post count and newbieness are sometimes related, but not always. We have oldbies with low counts, and newbies with high counts.

2) Calling someone a newbie is hardly a reflection on anything but their newness -- hardly an insult of any type.

3) When a thread's very basis is postcount, I consider all comments about postcount to be quite on topic.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't hold it in any longer. 'Tis means "it is" and only "it is".
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I see your logic. And I see my logic. And I see both sides. And I appreciate both sides. I'm quick to be tempered. I hope you shall not hold it against me if I ask for forgiveness of my ignorance.

Edit: I apologize. I'm young and care not for the rules of grammar as they are commonly accepted.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem you're running into, Steve, is that "acting like a newbie" and "acting like a teenager" sometimes look a lot alike. There's nothing wrong with acting like a teenager. Particularly when you are one. But in this case, it makes you fair game for anyone who's been here longer than you. As rivka undoubtedly has.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

ElJay, I appreciate your <insert word I've forgotten that is nice>. I hate my memory. It never functions correctly.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Word.

Edit: This, in response to Eljay's post.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Noobiness sounds like a naughty word. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
This sort of thing wouldn't happen if postcounts weren't displayed -- which is how it used to be, back in the good old days. The Golden Age of Hatrack, when we used to have to walk ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways, just to make a single post...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Pfft. You're Canadian. Don't you have to walk through the snow to make a single post now?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but only uphill one way, and only ten kilometres, not ten miles.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's what comes of spelling kilometer funny.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That also means you have to walk downhill, though.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah, okay. 10K is nothing, really. [Smile]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. I'm in on this too. Hey, Tinros! I'll catch up with Tante before you do, just watch me.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
Well, post count is generally considered basis for one's "noobiness," so to speak. And it is not very nice. And 'tis also not very nice to generalize and assume that someone, like myself, is a "noob," as it were, for trying to protect himself from a rude and unnecessary insult, the calling of the "noob."

"noob" is the stupidest word I have ever heard.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Depends on how much free time you have, AoD.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, I don't have much, but I'm a fast typer, my dear.
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
No, n00b is the stupidest word, trust me.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord. Seriously, if we start seeing THIS kind of thing on Hatrack, I'm going to ask Moose to hide the post count stats again.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Vasslia Cora:
No, n00b is the stupidest word, trust me.

They are both the same to me. Stupid, stupid, stupid...I can't stand it when someone calls someone else a n00b or noob. I find it pathetic.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Good Lord. Seriously, if we start seeing THIS kind of thing on Hatrack, I'm going to ask Moose to hide the post count stats again.

Oh, come on! You are one to talk, seeing how the real challege would be to challege you.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh.

That might not be such a bad idea.

Edit to add: Of course, I either type slow, read slow, or post slow. That comment is in response to Tom.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, both are spellings of the same word and both are quite stupid but at least nodbody is posting in L33T or 1337 or leet. I hate that more then I hate the word noob.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

<-- agrees with Vasslia Cora
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, as much as I agree with you...I much rather have this than most the topics we've had during election season till now. I agree that post count means almost nothing. Almost. When it is someone like Moose, or rivka, or you (and I'm sure there are more but to make the point) it is a bit different. However, that is only because it correlates with your time on the message board. That and because out of the three I mentioned I have met two of.

Wow, this is probably the only time I have ever completely agreed with you Tom. I like that. I usually don't respond against your political beliefs because I have a strict belief to let people believe what they want. No matter how much it rankles me.

So*, in conclusion...post all you want. it won't really do anything for you. You first have to have something worth reading if you are going to post that much in a day. Hope you are up to date on the news, because it's going to take a little research to be able to hold your own on most of the topics on this board these days.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I agree with you Stan, but hey then again, who started the Currently Listening thread? I'm really proud it has stayed alive so long. Long live the CLT! :grin:
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I usually don't respond against your political beliefs because I have a strict belief to let people believe what they want. No matter how much it rankles me.
If that's all that's stopping you from posting in non-fluff threads, go ahead. Seriously, I doubt that your posts are going to prevent me (or anyone else here) from believing what I want to believe, and the way you worded your concern didn't mention anything about just elucidating what you believe. So do so, unless your actual code is something like "don't argue with people." [Smile] A lot of the acrimony occasionally perceived there is just that: perceived. With very few exceptions (and they're usually pretty obvious exceptions, and tend to stick out like sore thumbs), participants in even the most heated political debates here don't actually dislike each other.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
post all you want. it won't really do anything for you.

You see, Stan, it really does do something for me. I'm going to bring down the fun for a moment. I don't post too much because I have this weird competitive urge to outpost the other Hatrackers. I mean, I keep looking at my post count with a bit of shock, shaking my head at myself and wondering what is going on here.

My real life is one of daily sacrifice. I sacrifice my needs and my desires in order to serve other people's needs. It is an around-the-clock commitment that involves full-time work as a nurse in the day, and taking care of my family, including a severely disabled husband, when I'm not at work. Fun, carefree "me time" is rare indeed for me.

In addition, I have my own health problems -- lupus -- that makes me feel lousy almost all the time. Imagine having pain in your joints all the time, fatigue all the time, fevers, sores in your mouth, and an inability to enjoy any sunlight -- even a window with the curtains parted. Crummy, eh?

So, I could piss and moan and kvetch and make myself and everyone around me miserable. I could abandon my current situation and seek something a little more fun. I could insist that I need to spend my days in bed, having other people take care of me. But I've gone a different route. I do what I need to do cheerfully, with a good attitude, and I derive satisfaction from helping other people. For me, some time out with just friends, going out to a movie, or even just some time alone is a rare and treasured thing, that requires a remarkable amount of planning to pull off.

I love being on Hatrack. I love getting to know people just for fun -- not because they need something from me. I love being able to cut loose and have my own fun, and not worry that I'm not giving enough. When I log on, I am fully engaged, immersed in the experience. I drink it in great gulps, as if I've just hiked across a desert with a dry a canteen and have stumbled upon a fertile oasis.

I post a lot. I am addicted. But you know, it fills a void, it is safe, it does not take me from my real responsibilities, and, gosh darn it, it just feels so good.

Posting on Hatrack really doesn't do anything for me? Au contraire, it replenishes me.

And I am grateful to all of Hatrack, and especially our host, for giving me that.

--Esther

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Esther, I understand what you're saying. [Smile] It is nice to have this, isn't it? [Smile]
Tinros
Member # 8328

Tante, that made me feel all warm inside.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Tante, I don't think that line in Stan's post was directed at you. I think it was directed at the people who are planning on posting more purely for the sake of trying to catch you. You post when you have something to say. That happens to be a lot. [Wink] That's entirely different from posting just to inflate your post count.

It's like if I went and made 1000 posts in the Last Post thread this morning because you're less than 100 posts behind me now. Sure, I would have upped my postcount. But it wouldn't have really done anything for me. And who would read those posts? I'd be shouting to the air.

Hatrack does a lot of things for a lot of people. [Smile] I'm pretty sure Stan wasn't trying to say otherwise.

Tinros
Member # 8328

This topic shuts down in

Seriously, I'm deleting this topic soon.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I don't know that it's necessary to delete it, Tinros. Why would you feel that it is?
Tinros
Member # 8328

Because I conceded. See the other thread.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No concession necessary. It is all in good fun.

I LIKE good fun!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And that's why I think it unnecessary. [Smile]
Tinros
Member # 8328

Ok, so I'll leave it. I think it's still on between Tante and AoD, anyway.

*slips into the stands to watch the show*

Anyone got any popcorn?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.