FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The wedding thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The wedding thread
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a pregnancy thread already on Hatrack so I thought there should be a wedding thread too. Is anyone else planning on getting married in the near future? What are your plans?

I am getting married on May 28th of this year. I am getting really excited. Today I tried on my dress with all of the accessories for the first time. It was loads of fun. I am having a midsized wedding, about 100 guests in the town my fiance and I went to college in. I could go on and on about the details but I'll see if this thread takes off first [Smile]

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Our anniversary is Tuesday . . . perhaps I should start an anniversary thread, for those of us who've already had those milestones . . . [Big Grin]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus: your anniversary is Jan. 10? That's my birthday! [Wink] (No, I'm not starting a birthday thread.)
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My first anniversay is 2 weeks and 2 days away. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desta
Member # 8777

- posted      Profile for desta   Email desta         Edit/Delete Post 
The anniversary of our relationship beginning is in a couple months (March 23, to be exact), with a wedding planned in 2008. That will give us both time to get our finances in order, save up for it, and get situated before-hand.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov, Theresa!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on getting married within a year after it is made legal in PA or in two or more of the states that border PA.

Presuming, of course, that Chris says "yes".

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov, Karl! Let us know when you set a date!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we're already married, but we eloped. We're going to have a renewal of vows ceremony, hopefully on or around our 3rd anniversary.

So is that close enough to take part in the thread? [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Mazel tov!
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle and I got married last year. Photos at http://starfruit.net.tufts.edu/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Ingols_Wedding
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd send you to my wife and my's wedding photos, but we have somewhere around 800, I think. Too many shutterbugs on her side of the family [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia and I are marrying on June 10.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to all those with anniversaries. Staying happily married is an even bigger accomplisment than tying the knot.

Martha, I just looked at your pictures. I especially loved your food pictures. You managed fun and appropriately fancy all at once. Did you make your own cake? I have never seen one like that. It is so cute!

Congrats on the upcoming marriage Ben!

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A real FRUIT cake, some make-your-own drinks, and a juggler! Looks like it was a great wedding, martha! (and you are beautiful!)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Our anniversary is on the 8th, Sunday.

My birthday is the 9th, Monday.

[Eek!]

And I've got to talk to lindsay and ben. o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
We designed the cake, which my aunt made (she used to make cakes for a living; now she's a computer programmer like everyone else). One layer was orange flavored, the other lemon. Between layers was pistachio marzipan, and then buttercream frosting with those beautiful fresh fruit slices for decoration. It was delicious.

My brother (Mike on Hatrack) is a circus performer -- juggler, acrobat, and clown. Our mom runs the Providence Circus School, so she brought a bunch of her circus toys (juggling and balancing stuff) for everyone to play with.

We also had puzzles: a crossword that Kyle wrote, a double-crostic from my grandmother, a cryptic crossword from some friends. And there were games, though mostly people were having too much fun with the circus toys. And talking, which of course was the whole point. That day should've gone on three or four hours longer, so we could do all the schmoozing we wanted to.

Oh, we did this really cool thing that everyone oughta do at their wedding: we had all our married guests lend us photos of them at their own weddings, and we displayed all these photos together, along with photos of our grandparents' weddings and our own baby pictures. That way, nobody was captive for an embarrassing slideshow -- and for the older photos, people got to guess "whose wedding is that a picture of?"

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Carry on with your regularly schedule programming!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
April 8 is my big date. But its the honeymoon I'm really looking forward to. Private villa in the Carribean, with a private swimming pool.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by theresa51282:
Congratulations to all those with anniversaries. Staying happily married is an even bigger accomplisment than tying the knot.

I had my 19th wedding anniversary last week. The traditional anniversary gift for 20 years is China. We didn't see 19 years listed, so we just improvised. My husband gave me the flu. I gave him chicken soup.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Be-en...

Be-en...

Are we invited to your wedding? [/whine]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My husband gave me the flu. I gave him chicken soup.
Don't you hate it when you give someone a nice gift and all they thought to get was a lousy one? [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

KQ -- just 2 more posts and you'll be at 11111!

That's a lot of ones.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Eh. It'll be special when I get to 55555. Because, you know, that's five fives.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Wave] <-- high five!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Don't say that around the Princess, or you'll be busy for two hours!
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
As one of those weird twists of life, I'm a certified bridal consultant. Got a question? Need some advice? Fire away!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Don't say that around the Princess, or you'll be busy for two hours!

Oh DO show her how to click on the "high five" (AKA "wave") graemlin. We can have a KP High Five thread!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

My wedding advice to my friends who are getting worked up about the wedding arrangements is this: Your wedding day is the least important day of your marriage. It is what you do with the rest of your marriage that is important. Your long term success and marital happiness has absolutely no relationship to the color of the bridesmaids dresses, the floral centerpieces, or the catering.

So, calm down.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Oh DO show her how to click on the "high five" (AKA "wave") graemlin. We can have a KP High Five thread!
Oh, no. Oh, no! I'm not going to start that up! She already tries!

quote:
So, calm down.
Betcha get a lot of dirty looks. [Wink]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Tante -- I agree!

And don't spend so much on your wedding that you start out your marriage in debt. It just makes things that much harder...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

MY advice to grooms: The wedding is 80% the bride's, 15% her mothers and about 5% yours. Relax, learn to say "Yes, dear" with feeling and enjoy.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Sopwith - LOL

My son (who is 20) will ocassionally say things like "that would be cool for a wedding" or "I want that at my wedding someday" and I just smile sweetly and say, "It won't be up to you, dear."

FG

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like "Calm down." Just because it isn't the most important part doesn't mean that they shouldn't care about it. It's the equivelent of "Shut up and sit down." If I wasn't upset before, I am now. Don't tell me how to feel.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MY advice to grooms: The wedding is 80% the bride's, 15% her mothers and about 5% yours. Relax, learn to say "Yes, dear" with feeling and enjoy.
That's bullcrap. Why make the girl make all of the decisions? If the guy has an idea of what he wants, he should be free to suggest it, and if she has any respect for him at all, she should at least think about it. Unless it's completely tacky or out of their budget, there's no reason the groom can't have the wedding of his dreams.

And luckily, my mother wants nothing to do with my wedding except for being an attendee. I think she also made one song suggestion, so I guess we'll play that for her. But she gets that it's not the wedding that's important; it's the marriage, and could care less what we do for one day (as long as it doesn't break the bank). Ben's mom is putting up the majority of funding, and also lives closer, and also cares about ceremony, so she is more involved.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I don't understand what is offensive about saying "Calm Down" as in "don't stress yourself out about it". How is caring whether or not a person is overly stressed somehow taken as an offense?

FG

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Because they're overly stressed. And that makes you take offense at stuff like that!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Betcha get a lot of dirty looks.

No. More like relief.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like it because it's telling me how to feel. I much prefer "It'll be okay, honey. Everyone will be looking at you anyway." to "Stop freaking out. What you care about doesn't matter."

"Calm down." is saying they shouldn't feel how they feel. I don't like it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do my very best to counter this kind of advice in premarital counseling.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Dana!

Marriage is a partnership, not a dictatorship. It should start that way, too.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
My hubbie was as excited as me about our wedding. Well, almost. He kept this huge accordion folder full of magazine clippings and pages from the Internet and quotes on flower prices and stuff. He was far more organized than I was, so we both had a lot of fun.

Considering that he is an actual bonafide Scotsman who grew up in Glasgow, I didn't mind his insistance on having real kilts ordered from Scotland for the wedding, and on being led out by a piper. In fact, it was his Scottish pastor that married us.

So all in all, he was involved every bit as much as I was in every decision. We acted as a team then, as now.

Five years later (our anniversary is February 17th) and one + children (just found out I'm pregnant again) we still act as a team much of the time.

Love is a choice you make every morning, and it's great when there is emotional attachment as well, but the tough choices on the days when the feelings are gone, are what help those feelings to return.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

I wish I could get Paul to have more input into the wedding. He mostly does the smile and nod. He is much more interested in planning the honeymoon. All his male relatives told him to avoid planning the wedding because the women will just take over anyways so I have gotten nowhere with convincing him I really do want his opinion.

Martha, we are doing a photo table too. Ours has wedding pictures that actually go all the way back to my great great grandparents. Its really neat to see how weddings have changed through the generation. We also have this archway thing that we are putting pictures of us growing up on and then ending with our engagement photo. I had a lot of fun looking at Paul's old pictures and seeing him as a baby.

We have our premarital counseling weekend next weekend. I am a little nervous because I don't really know the pastor that well. I go to church in a different town from the one we are getting married in. I guess I want to make a good impression but I also realize the point is to be honest so it is a bit of a balancing act I guess.

I don't think I am at all stressed about the wedding. Just excited. Plus it will be the first time we will have lived together so I am really excited to be able to see Paul everyday.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just smile sweetly and say, "It won't be up to you, dear."
[ROFL]

See, I can picture FG saying that and the image alone makes me giggle.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband suggested that we have soup for our reception, so all the ladies made soup and it was wonderful. He doesn't remember coming up with that idea, though. We actually didn't really pay for anything, since one of my best friends parents did my cake and my group photos as our gift and my sister did our wedding shots, my boss did the flowers and my hair/makeup, our moms and grandmas did the food, etc. I think it was probably the cheapest wedding ever!

The other thing we did that was just divine was to get married with just family and close close friends in attendance, and then 3 weeks later we had the reception. It took all the stress out of my wedding day, and besides, I got to wear my dress again and have a different hair style! I would suggest it to anyone (as would my husband. He loved doing it that way).

Good luck with all the plans, everyone!

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Okay, some folks took what I said a bit too sternly. The advice is meant as a semi-joke and an ice breaker. But it also does have a ring of truth in it.

Also, it is just about the wedding itself, not the marriage. The marriage is something that I wouldn't joke about.

But let's look at the typical, traditional wedding. It's a big day for the groom, this is the biggest commitment of his life and the first step in hopefully a long and joyous journey. For most men, however, they don't start thinking about the wedding ceremony until pretty much they give the engagement ring. Many don't think much about it until a day or two before it happens.

For the bride, many times, this is something she's thought about, off and on, for a good portion of her life. As a young girl she's thought many times of the colors she wants, or the music, or any of the thousands of details that go into the event. She may know exactly what she wants her wedding cake to look like, what the invitations should say, etc...

Of course, these are generalizations, but ones taken from being involved in a couple of hundred plannings of weddings.

You'll notice the mother of the bride has a big stake in this, too. What I have seen so often is that in the planning, the bride's mother is often her most trusted advisor. She will rely on her Mom greatly at times and sometimes they will butt heads a bit over the process. In some cases, it is because the Bride's mom wants her daughter to have the wedding she didn't have. Sometimes it is just because she wants to dictate a social event for her friends and family. The bride's mom also traditionally has the purse strings of the event in hand. And that can be a powerful thing and one that can become a hurtful thing to the bride.

My advice there, usually given in front of the bride, groom and in-laws is said with a smile and a laugh but it is also cautionary. It is said to remind them of who's big day it most likely is. A fairy tale wedding may be the goal, but it should be the bride who chooses which tale will be told.

The groom should have input, and it is a wonderful thing when he is involved, both in making decisions and being a supporter for his wife to be. The bride will be going through a ton of work on this all the while juggling school or her job and a social calendar, plus her family and husband to be. That's a lot on anyone's shoulders and any help that the groom can give is great. As long as it doesn't run counter to the bride's wishes too often.

The high stresses of planning a big wedding can lead any couple to an argument or two. Especially when their wishes for the event don't coincide. In such cases, my advice hopefully gently reminds the groom that deferring to his bride's wishes can be a very good idea. That doesn't mean he should be a doormat, but that when he notices that she has set her feet in concrete over an issue, he should step back and politely concede. Some of the minor issues aren't worth disrupting their future harmony over.

And it also, sadly, won't become a bone of contention later on if she had to give up something she had really wanted (re: Bride's mom and the wedding she didn't have...).

But then again, what do I know? [Dont Know]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
[Eek!] Our anniversary is on the 8th, Sunday.

My birthday is the 9th, Monday.

[Eek!]

A year already? Wow, time flies when it's someone else's life.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

I was asking Paul this evening about my flower choices. His response "But what do they do?" Boys [Smile]
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
theresa, I would make a suggestion that some time in the begining of May you and Paul take a day to go somewhere just the two of you. Don't talk about the wedding. The two of you just spend the day together away from wedding planning. You will be surprised at how great you feel without the stress of the wedding.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
theresa- I'm getting married on May 5 this year to a wonderful man named Paul. [Big Grin] We have some things in common. [Smile] Though it seems you are more organized than me. I'll probably come to this thread with a question or two (or twenty-three)in the upcoming months. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy. [Smile]

Congratulations to all!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.