FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why don't Americans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why don't Americans
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
use 24-hour time, like sensible folk? It would prevent, to pick an example compeltely at random, me showing up at the airport at 10:31 for a plane which doesn't actually land until 22:31. Grrr! [Grumble] [Mad]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Cause the minutes going up to 59 is confusing enough. 12 is high enough for hours.

Beats the places where for 10:35 you say 11 minus 25.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... the Metric system comes to mind as well as date formats. The obvious reason is because we're right and the rest of the world is wrong. Duh.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, showing up 12 hours early does sound like a pain. [Frown]

So do most other countries really use 24 hour time? It seems like most countries would have the same 12 hour clocks and watches that we do. Is this incorrect?

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Ah, showing up 12 hours early does sound like a pain. [Frown]

So do most other countries really use 24 hour time? It seems like most countries would have the same 12 hour clocks and watches that we do. Is this incorrect?

Amazingly you are correct. Though the digital ones go up to 23:59.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
A) We do use 24 hour time. Haven't you heard of AM and PM? [Wink]

B) The military, for the reasons you provided, generally does use a real 24-hour time

C) Tradition

D) I've done the exact same thing at the airport. It sucked.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Amazingly you are correct. Though the digital ones go up to 23:59.
I'm still confused. If other countries still have the AM/PM division, how is our system of time measurement any different?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I woke up early to attend the 8 a.m. run-thru of a student-run play I'm helping with, only to find that there wasn't a soul there. Turns out, it wasn't until 8 p.m. I was really upset.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually (in Norwegian, anyway) times are spoken as 'five in the morning / evening' unless it is obvious which is meant, but written as 5:00 or 17:00.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the hardest part about adjusting to 24 hour time would be relearning to read analogue clocks. The current system works well because using a 12 hour system divides the minutes of the clock into groups of 5. This makes it fairly easy to instantly recognize the aproximate time when glancing at an analogue clock.

If the face of a clock were divided into 24 hours then the hour markins would group the minutes into units of 2.5. Such a system would not only be confusing because fractions are involved, but it also would be quite difficult to quickly tell what time it is because the major reference points on the face of a clock would be much more numerous and closer together.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just learn the difference between a.m. and p.m. and stop griping that Americans are wrong about everything? Obviously we understand our systems just fine, and if you can't, that's not our problem.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to me, except I missed my flight by twelve hours. My mother called me in the afternoon to ask if I had landed yet. I was buying sushi for lunch over two thousand miles away.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I know the difference. The problem is that am or pm was not specified.
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
I know the difference. The problem is that am or pm was not specified.

What was it in reference to?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. My. Eru. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I completely agree with one of King of Men's posts. I mean completely. I've always been frustrated by this "start over at 12" mentality and wondered why we don't sensibly use a 24 hour clock like the military and other countries do.

You're right, KoM, it makes no sense not to use it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by camus:
Hmmm... the Metric system comes to mind as well as date formats. The obvious reason is because we're right and the rest of the world is wrong. Duh.

Funny. I figured the obvious reason is because we're wrong and the rest of the world is right.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I reject the notion that our system is inherently less "sensible". There's nothing wrong with dividing the day into hours of the morning and hours of the afternoon. (The Romans used a similar, though not identical, system.) But yes, if there is the risk of confusion, they are supposed to specify. If they didn't, that's their error.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
And if we were studying in YOUR country and proclaimed that they should conform to OUR system because theirs confused US it would be cited as yet another example of AMERICAN arrogance....

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

*Mentally marks Kwea for the re-education camps when I come to power*

Clearly, you do not have the proper appreciation of the superiority and fundamental correctness of European civilisation. You dashed colonials should show some respect for your betters.

[Big Grin]

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
If Americans used 24-hour time, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the looks on my friends' faces when they look at my watch and see "17:55".
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
If Americans used 24-hour time, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the looks on my friends' faces when they look at my watch and see "17:55".

I am amazed at my own fellow Americans when they can't subtract 12 from 17.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't count that high, darn you!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Take your shoes off.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea: Many europeans are just like that. The vocal ones. They talk about how awful America is to no end. We're arrogant or have no history and our culture sucks (of course, they love David Hasselhoff over there so they really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to culture.)

I put up with a great deal of it while I was in europe. Mostly from one particular person but it was unending and the rest of them either agreed or simply kept silent. The only time they silenced him was so they could watch more Knight Rider re-runs.

And, of course, in my *mumble*-teen years on the net european arrogance and Ameriphobia has been rampent. Especially from such gems as the self proclaimed King of Men.

Anyway, just don't sweat it. Let them revel in their bile and hatred. It's not like they can do anything but bark anyway.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

My shoes?

Edit:

Pix, its all because we rebelled way back when. We scared them. And now they hate us. Because, as is well known, hate is rooted in fear.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to disclose a prejudice of which I am aware but not proud.

Personally, I dislike the 24 hour clock because it has such militaristic overtones to me. My unconscious response to being given a time is, "Normal life, casual life, is run on a 12 hour clock. Regimented, take no prisoners life is run on a 24 hour clock." I recognize that this isn't particulary logical, but ::shrugs::

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Pixiest,

I agree, some Europeans are completely obnoxious when it comes to the superiority complex.

We had a guest in from Parma, Italy. We took him for a tour of Los Angeles and Chicago on two separate occasions. He was much more interested in retail stores than in landmarks, and as we walked along, on both occasions, he said over and over again, "Ah yes, we have this in Italy too, only there it is better."

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Is it possible that you lot did not pick up on the self-deprecating overtone in my post? After all, I might have asked 'am or pm' rather than just assuming that the morning was meant.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how a system of time measurement which is broken down in a 24-60-60-100-10 is all that much better than one which is broken down 2-12-60-60-100-10. (Is a nanosecond a 10th of a millisecond or a hundreth?)

Yes, switching to a 24 hour military system would be a great start, but its still goofy.

I say we move over to a "metric" clock, or one broken down like such: 10-10-10-10-10-10...

The standard unit is, of course, the "day". Its the only non-arbitrary thing involved in measuring time in this scale**.

We'd then break that day down into 10 decidays. Then each deciday would break down into 10 centidays. Those centidays would then be broken down into millidays, microdays, and so on.

Here would be the conversion factor. Notice that its the oddity of the non-metric version that makes this look complicated. Converting between the different metric units is easy as pie, just like all metric units.

1 day = 1 day
1 deciday = 2.4 hours
1 centiday = 14.4 minutes
1 milliday = 86.4 seconds
1 microday = 8.64 seconds
1 nanoday = 0.864 seconds

Notice that a nanoday is very close to a second. And one milliday is not too far from a minute. So our thinking would not be too changed.

I'd imagine that the "day" would also drop off with common usage. So our sayings would go something like...

"I'll be there in one nano!"

"Hold up, this will take me a couple of millis."

The way we write time would be very simple.

It would be pretty easy to express time too! Say you had a meeting at 6 decidays, 3 centidays, and 5 millidays. You could just say that your meeting was at .635! The decimal could be used to denote the "day" of the month. Then if your meeting was on the sixth of the month you are in at that time, you could write that it is at 6.635. Writing date-times could be as easy as <year>.<month>.<day>.<deciday><centiday><milliday><microday><and so on>...

For instance, right now its 2006.1.16.691.

The calendar could use some work as well. The year isn't arbitrary, and the day isn't arbitrary, and they don't match up in a very nice way. So no system is perfect. We could certainly do much better than we are now, though. The months are loosely based on moon cycles (I think) but they aren't even close anymore. That whole concept has to go.

There are 365 days in a year. Lets try and shoot for 10 months. So thats 36.5 days in a month. Not very nice, but we can work with that. We'd even get to keep December (10th month), November (9th month) and October (8th month). The other names would probably all have to go.

Anyway, ten months, alternating 36 and 37 days:
36+37+36+37+36+37+36+37+36+37 = 365. The leap year would mean having three 37 day months in a row, though it doesn't matter which month gets them.

Remembering which months have which number of days could be very simple, just stick it in the naming convention. For example, months with 36 days could have an "or" ending, and months with 37 days would have the "er" ending. So December would stay, but it would be Novembor. You know, something to that effect. Then when you have a leap year, one of the months ending with "or" gets an "er" instead for that year.

But now I am just getting silly, I suppose. But anyway, what do you guys think of the metric clock idea?

**Here's the actual definition of a second that I found on the web:
quote:
The second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom.
Edit: Of course a google search reveals I am not the first person to think of this [Smile] . It makes so much sense, its amazing we aren't using it. Here's a picture of a metric clock: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/metricclock.html

[ January 16, 2006, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

With that said, sorry, but the landmarks in Europe really are better. Not because of any particular cultural superiority, but just from having so much more history to draw on.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That went *whoosh* over my head.

Edit: Not KoM's post, Xavier's.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Beats the places where for 10:35 you say 11 minus 25.
[Smile] We do that. Actually I always found it quite sensible because when someone tells you it's 10h50 your brain registers "10" when in fact it's closer to 11.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, X.

But you and I and everyone else here will be long dead before something like that gets adopted.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
My shoes?

So you can count that high, honey.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We'd even get to keep December (10th month), November (9th month) and October (8th month). The other names would probably all have to go.
Except for, of course, September (7th month).
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

KoM,

Was that you we were entertaining? [Wink]

I would agree that many of the European landmarks have more history, but "better" is definitely a relative term that is poorly used when applied to art, culture and people.

The landmarks in America are much more important to me than say, the landmarks in Norway, because I not only appreciate their history, but I have an emotional attachment to them. Being an English lit fan, if we were comparing American landmarks to English landmarks, it would be tough for me to decide which I prefer.

But, if I were in Norway, I'd want to at least see the landmarks and hear some history.

What made me laugh was that this guy was only interested in comparing our cultures on a retail basis (shoes, porcelain, cookies, toys) and in commenting on the superiority of his country.

This would have been excusable and ignored if the gentleman was not 1)the emissary from one of our largest vendors 2) over 40 years old 3)a broken record.

I had expected grace from a European. I was sadly disappointed.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
If there was a misunderstanding as to whether or not it was AM or PM, why didn't you just ask? Sorry, but that kinda thing is really you're own fault for not double checking, not their fault for using a system you seem to not understand or apparently, know how to operate.

The only thing I tend to think is a good idea to phase in is celsius versus fahrenheit. I know how to use F better than C, but C just makes more sense, and I'd love to see the next generation using it instead of F. As for the rest, whatever, we make it work, and our annoying obsession with shying away from the Metric system has been useful in the past.

When the Russians captured one of our B-29s during WW2 and tried to reverse engineer it to create the Tupelov TU-4, as they didn't have an aerial bomber capable of carrying a nuke, it took them several years, rather than several months, because their machinery was made to use the metric system only, and they have to reengineer all of it to make it work for our units of measurement. That never really made sense to me, but according to the history books it's true.

So see, our stubbornness saves lives.

Edit to add: I see KoM you covered they "I could have asked" part earlier. Still don't know why you didn't just go ahead and do it. Anyway, this edit was to add a question: Why exactly are European Landmarks "better" than American? And which landmarks?

I find European arrogance rather amusing, given the common European stereotype of Americans being the arrogant ones.

[ January 16, 2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

kmbboots- I'm already without shoes upon my feet.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

So with fingers and toes...

Oh, nevermind.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why don't Americans use 24-hour time, like sensible folk?
Because we hate you and every single one of us is laughing at your expense. Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
September (7th month).
Of course [Smile] .

Now what would the other months be with this scheme?

Looks like:

1-Unus
2-Duo
3-Tres
4-Quattuor
5-Quinque
6-Sex
7-Septem
8-Octo
9-Novem
10-Decem

So it looks like it would be

1-Unusber
2-Duober
3-Tresber
4-Quattuorber
5-Quinqueber
6-Sexber
7-September
8-October
9-November
10-December

I'd vote for renaming the 4th and 5th months. Very clunky looking. Perhaps Quatber and Quinber? Make that change, and add in my previously mentioned convention and it would be...

1-Unusbor
2-Duober
3-Tresbor
4-Quater
5-Quinbor
6-Sexber
7-Septembor
8-October
9-Novembor
10-December

Not too shabby...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I also propose they all end with '-er'.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

So if our Unusbor really sucked we would always get a du-ober.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Edit: Of course a google search reveals I am not the first person to think of this [Smile] . It makes so much sense, its amazing we aren't using it. Here's a picture of a metric clock: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/metricclock.html

Psst, The Simpsons had this pretty well covered about 7 seasons ago or so. It wasn't treated kindly, as appealing as an idea as it might seem.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Wow, as a Simpsons fan, this surprises me. How on earth did I miss it? Anyone have a link to the episode guide or quotes from it?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the one where the learned citizens take over, squander their opportunity, and get beat up by Steven Hawking.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I actually just found that, Dag.

quote:
The learned council conducts a weekly status meeting. Skinner
% proudly reports that the trains are now running on time -- metric
% time.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From the 05/09/1999 (Tenth Season) "They Saved Lisa's Brain" episode of "The Simpsons":

LISA: "Principal Skinner, how's your transportation project coming?"

SKINNER: "Oh excellent, not only are the trains now running on time, they're running on metric time. Remember this time people, 80 past 2 on April 47th, it's the dawn of a new enlightenment."

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Edit to add: I see KoM you covered they "I could have asked" part earlier. Still don't know why you didn't just go ahead and do it. Anyway, this edit was to add a question: Why exactly are European Landmarks "better" than American? And which landmarks?

Any landmarks. And they are better because they are not American. It's all very simple once you realise that Delphi is actually the center of the world. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Delphi hasn't been the center of anything in more than 2,000 years silly Euroman. [Smile]

Didn't the people living at the center of the world send you a change of address notification? They live in the US now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.