FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Favorite Quotes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your Favorite Quotes
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to hear everyones favorite quotes, from movies, books, anything. So go wild everybody. [Smile]

[ January 17, 2006, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I''ll go first since this has probably been done on hatrack before, but if it has I wasn't part of it.

"All my life, whenever it comes time to make a decision, I make it and forget about it." ~ Harry Truman.

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." ~ Harry Truman.

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." ~ Harry Truman.

""It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education." ~ I'm so glad Albert Einstein agrees with me on formal education.

[ January 17, 2006, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
This would just be my favorite quote right now. I use it as my signiture for my e-mail.

quote:
"Somewhere out there is the perfect woman for me, I'm doing my best to make sure she doesn't find me."--Pat E. Fogger

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is: "Do or do not, there is no try"~
Yoda.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite quote: Timshel. If you've read East of Eden, you know what it means. [Wink]
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Good one Stan, good one. But are you following that quotes advise or actively doing the opposite?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"As an American, being mocked by people from third world hell holes is a bit like being made fun of by the retarded kid on the playground. I know I should be insulted, but I can't stop laughing."

That one always makes me think of KoM for some reason.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Pixiest - where's that from?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Pix, were in the world did you find that quote? :laughing in background: [Big Grin]
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent 115, I am not actively going against it. However, in the past couple of years it has been proven that I am definately not actively following it. Bonus for me that those relationships lasted such a short amount of time that it gave me no cause for concern.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't DO anything. That's the beauty of it.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Lets get back to the quotes. Okay.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, I have to pick just one? I collect quotes, got about a hundred.

"We have nothing to hide. We have nothing. And we must hide it."
-Nikita Kruschev

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
No-one said you had to pick just one.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Raventhief- I collect quotes too. I have a little book that I carry around with me in case I find good quotes that I can use.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's a few more:
“Unfortunately, when you close your eyes and click your heels, life’s problems don’t just solve themselves.”
-Unknown

“The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.”
-The Usual Suspects

“'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

"He who thinks by the inch and talks by the yard deserves to be kicked by the foot."
-Unknown

“The problem with doing something right the first time is no one appreciates how difficult it was.”
-Unknown

“Better your road to hell than another’s road to heaven, is that it?”
-The Caves of Steel, Isaac Asimov

“Protocol is either useful or it should be abolished.”
-The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, Robert A. Heinlein

“We all have truths. Are mine the same as yours?”
-Jesus Christ, Superstar

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

Evie, mine's a computer file, if you'd care to see them.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
"Keep always in your mind some image of magnificence." From Robert Edmond Jones, but he was quoting an Irish poet

"Fear not" various angels

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Here is another one

-"First rule of dealing with the devil, don't" ~Solo

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger in Predator. (It sums up every single Ah-Nold movie plot)

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason the All-American Boy prefers beauty to brains is the All-American Boy can see better than he can think.

--Farrah Fawcett

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

"Have you ever been afraid of whats inside you" Law and Order SVU
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
My all time favorite quote:

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"-no clue

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
You did the best you could, and when you knew better, you did better. Maya Angelou

This is how I keep from living with regret.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
God isn't dead, he just took up a less ambitious project. - i forget who
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Angio, I sure would like to know what that project is.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Education will not take the place of persistence; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

-T.R.

If you want to be worshipped, go to India and moo.

- Quiz Show

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."

- Drew Carey

When it comes to human beings, the only type of cause that matters is final cause, the purpose. What a person had in mind. Once you understand what people really want, you can't hate them anymore. You can fear them, but you can't hate them, because you can always find the same desires in your own heart.

- Guess

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
"Estragon: Nothing to be done.
Vladimir: I'm beginning to come round to that opinion" - Waiting for Godot

"Let us not waste our time in idle discourse! Let us do something while we have the chance! To all mankind they were addressed, those cries for help still ringing in our ears! But at this place, at this moment of time, all mankind is us, whether we like it or not." -Waiting for Godot

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Raventhief - I would love to see it.
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
"The one concern of the devil is to keep Christians from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, and prayerless religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray" - Samuel Chadwick

I liked that one so much it's my signature for my emails.

Ivy

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

More quotes:
"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the trouble makers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them; about the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things, they push the human race forward. And while some see them as the 'crazy ones,' we see genius because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do." -Apple Computers *hides* Don't Hurt Me!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines." - Prarie Home Companion

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly... specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
"A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired."

-"Dragonflyblade21", excerpted from Bash.org

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'll confess. It was me.

I said it the other day in WoW when some russians were ripping on the US non-stop on channel 1. It provoked quite a reaction...

So I'll add a real quote.

"A writer who quotes himself [or herself] in public, may have other nasty habits." -- RAH

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

"Right, now to wander aimlessly"~ Unknown
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
"You would sail a ship against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense."
--Napoleon, on steamships.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Enigmatic has been playing Civ IV
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Originally by The Pixiest: "A writer who quotes himself [or herself] in public, may have other nasty habits." -- RAH

OSCs books on writing fiction are the only two I've ever read where the author didn't cite their own work. I've since given up on everyone else. I hope he writes another book about the study of fiction this year or next.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
-Robert Frost

Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

What was it about this unlovable century that convince us we were, despite everything, eminently lovable as a people, as a species? What made us think that anyone who fails to love us is damaged, lacking, malfunctioning in some way? And particularly if they replace us with a god, or a weeping madonna, or the face of Chris in a ciabatta roll—then we call them crazy. Deluded. We are so convinced of the goodness of ourselves, and the goodness of our love, we cannot bear to believe there might be something more worthy of love than us, more worthy of worship. Greeting cards routinely tell us everybody deserves love. No. Everybody deserves clean water. Not everybody deserves love all the time.
-Zadie Smith, White Teeth

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The road goes ever on and on,
down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
and I must follow if I can.
- Bilbo Baggins (IE JRR Tolkien)

I use that one as my signature.

"Never raise a hand to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected."
- I forget who.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain, on so true.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Enigmatic has been playing Civ IV

Yeah, I almost mentioned that but I felt sure that at least one hatracker would catch it.

I recently had a friend quote me (from my webpage, years ago) in reference to his current relationship troubles:
"I'd rather be miserable on my own terms than someone else's."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

I've gone out to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
-Douglas Adams

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

"I fooled you, I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got allll pig iron." <- My hubby and I mock that one relentlessly.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

Isaiah 55:8

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain, on so true.

I have a t-shirt that has that quote on it.

On to quotes:

"I do so have a photographic memory...I just don't have enough cash to develop the film..." - Unknown Entity

"It is very rude to interrupt someone when they are having an important conversation with themself." - Unknown Entity

"Even the short people had to look up to talk to him..." - I can't remember what this is from...

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only found this one in its translated-to-Spanish form:

Creo sinceramente haber interceptado muchos pensamientos que los cielos destinaban a otro hombre.
~Laurence Sterne

Roughly translated:
I sincerely believe I have intercepted many thoughts that the heavens intended for another man.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AYC
Member # 8859

- posted      Profile for AYC   Email AYC         Edit/Delete Post 
"You must do your damdest and win. Remember that is what you live for. Oh you must! You have got to do some thing! Never stop until you have gained the top or a grave." -George S. Patton Jr.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
"Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full." - Top Gun, used whenever a boss tries to give me more work than I can realistically handle in a day.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are the people crying "...but it isn't quotes, it's quotations!" Anyways, as for mine:

The truth is that life is hard and dangerous;
that he who seeks his own happiness does not find it;
that he who is weak must suffer;
that he who demands love, will be disappointed;
that he who is greedy, will not be fed;
that he who seeks peace, will find strife;
that truth is only for the brave;
that joy is only for him who does not fear to be alone;
that life is only for the one who is not afraid to die.

-- Joyce Carey

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

"I'm looking for myself if I should get back before I return, please ask me to wait"~ my favorite t-shirt
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course I want to save the world, she said, but I was hoping to do it from the comfort of my regular life." -- Brian Andreas
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.