FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Favorite Quotes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your Favorite Quotes
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
“I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers”
-Kahlil Gibran

Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The first rule of Music is Schwindeling! If you don't know what you're doing, don't tell nobody, they'll never know.
Jacob Bos

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, ambyr, I really liked that quotation, so I went to check out the link and it's pretty amazing. Thanks.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
"Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep"
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"Could I revive within me, her symphony and Song
To such a deep delight would win me, that with music Loud and long
I would build that dome in air, that happy dome, those caves of ice"
-Coleridge "Kublai Khan"

Or The entirety of Prufrock. Of course!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
Oh, ambyr, I really liked that quotation, so I went to check out the link and it's pretty amazing. Thanks.

Glad you like it :-). My old college roommate introduced me to it, a debt I never quite managed to repay. I could quote from StoryPeople for pages. . . .
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
"Those who think that children are carefree have forgotten their own childhood." - Orson Scott Card

"Be excellent to each other!" -Bill and Ted

"I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is." -Derek Zoolander

"Little Girl: ...and then Mommy kissed Daddy, and the angel told the stork, and the stork flew down from heaven, and put the diamond in the cabbage patch, and the diamond turned into a baby!
Pugsley: Our parents are having a baby too.
Wednesday: They had sex." - The Adams Family Values

"Dark Helmet: If there's one thing I despise, it is a fair fight."- Spaceballs

"Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right." - The Wizard of Oz

"Do these huggies make my ass look big?", Stewie from Family Guy

"Every time that I look at myself, I can't believe how awesome I am!" - Strong Bad

reacting to Trogador appearing"Is this your crazy, mixed-up way of asking me for some type of birthday challege??!!" - Stinkoman

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do this in Greek, but I can never make it turn out right. English it is, then, but it loses a LOT of the beauty and elegance that makes (ancient/archaic) Greek worthwhile:

"And on account of this he sent me to teach [you] all these things,
To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds."

-Iliad, IX.442-3

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum" - Adaptation after Descartes
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
"There he goes -- one of God's own prototypes -- a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

-Hunter S. Thompson

"Has it been five years? Six? It seems like a lifetime -- the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. But no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant.
There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Sorry that last one is so long. One of my most favoritist passages ever though.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
"Imagination is the greatest of things. It encompasses the whole Universe, and there is still room for doubt." - myself (in the the Ultimate Question Quest thread)
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, I'm back." Sam Gamgee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein
"My life's an open book, you read it on the radio." Neil Young
"Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono." ("The life of the land is preserved in righteousness.") Hawaii state motto.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

"A thing worth doing is worth doing badly." [Think about it...] Philip Trusttum (artist)
"The definition of insanity is repeating an action and expecting a different result." Dunno

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

"If you're not making mistakes it's because you're not pushing yourself to extend your limits." Artie Shaw
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
"Vitcory is Mine!" -Stewie Griffin

"We who are about to die salute you"- American Soldier at begining of war on terror

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Quote:
"We who are about to die salute you"- American Soldier at begining of war on terror
End quote
That's actually "Morituri salutant", which Roman gladiators were supposed to have said before they started killing each other.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
“We all have truths. Are mine the same as yours?”
-Jesus Christ, Superstar

Pilate, actually.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong." --John Dayton

"Laziness is the mother of invention." --Anonymous

"Beware of geeks bearing gifs." -- Anonymous

"Managing programmers is like herding cats." --Anonymous

"If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." --Anonymous

"I don't want the world; I just want your half." --They Might Be Giants: Ana Ng

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of my favorites -
"I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate."
- Vincent Van Gogh

A"s far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
- Albert Einstein

"Most people grow old within a small circle of ideas, which they have not discovered for themselves. There are perhaps less wrong-minded people than thoughtless."
- Luc Vauvenargues, Marquis de

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hit enter too early, apparently.

"One has to look out for engineers—they begin with sewing machines and end up with the atomic bomb."
- Marcel Pagnol (The engineer in me loves that)

"The shortest answer is doing."
- English Proverb

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never underestimate the beauty and power of human stupidity." Jesse Blankenship (a friend too long missing from my life)

"One of the striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only 9 lives." Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

"Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved." Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

"Adam was but human--this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpeant; then he would have eaten the serpeant." Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be unhappy." Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson.

"Twain was a depressing old man." Me.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
-Woody Allen

oh, and I don't know if this qualifies, but I've always found it to be a great epitaph for Heisenberg:

"He lies here, somewhere."

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Not to go back is somewhat to advance, and men walk, at least, before they dance." -- Alexander Pope

"True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behaviors. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." -- Elder Boyd K. Packer

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Remember everything I told you,
Keep it in your heart like a stone.
And when the winds have blown things round and back again,
What was once your pain will be your home.
--Emily Sailors

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
"Anyone God uses significantly is always deeply wounded... We are, each and every one of us, insignificant people who God has called and graced to use in a significant way... On the last day, Jesus will look us over not for medals, diplomas, or honors, but for scars."
Brennan Manning in Ruthless Trust

"The very angels themselves cannot persuade the wretched and blundering children of this earth as can one human being broken on the wheels of living. In love's service only wounded soldiers can serve." Thornton Wilder - The Angel that Troubled the Waters

"The Word of God is like a lion. You don't have to defend a lion. All you have to do is let the lion loose, and the lion will defend itself."
Charles Spurgeon

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"Some people are like big children, harming others without even seeing it. Staying angry with these fools is like being mad at fire because it burns." -- Tom Davidson
katharina
Member # 827

"Sunset used to depress me. But I learned in Baffin Island, you've just got to remember the light, keep it inside you, and wait. The sun comes back every monring."
--Maureen McHugh China Mountain Zhang

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

"Fear is the mind killer." Dune (Frank Herbert)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"I would give up all my genius and all my books, if there were only some woman, somewhere, who cared whether or not I came home late for dinner." -- Ivan Turgenev
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
'Silflay hraka, u embleer rah'

Not really something you should yell at people, but still makes me laugh.

In the book it works so well because by that point, you know what all those words mean. You don't have to turn back into the glossary and break the story's pace.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"If you are ever called upon to chasten a person, never chasten beyond the balm you have within you bind up." -- Brigham Young
Lisa
Member # 8384

"Klaatu barada nikto."
katharina
Member # 827

"The grief that does not speak whispers the over-fraught heart and bids it break." --William Shakespeare
katharina
Member # 827

I'm on a roll.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." --Galileo Galilei

katharina
Member # 827

"Talent is not as rare as the need to express it or the strength to handle the rejection." --Barbara Hershey
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dang! Why you gotta take so long to be a cookie?" LaVell Crawford (fat man's mantra)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take our breath away. - I don't know

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

They are so beautiful that one can scarcely contemplate them without fearing for them. It is not pleasant to think that someday they are bound to pass away as everything does. And yet one must think of that.
The Glass Bead Game

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Jane Austen

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Sunset used to depress me. But I learned in Baffin Island, you've just got to remember the light, keep it inside you, and wait. The sun comes back every monring."
--Maureen McHugh China Mountain Zhang

[Confused] But... on Baffin Island, the sun *doesn't* come back every morning!
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

"The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers." Shakespear, The Tempest--with Apologies to Dag.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." JOHN KENNETH GALBRAITH

"Bodily exercise, when compulsory, does no harm to the body; but knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind." PLATO

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." ARTHUR C. CLARKE

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact than a drunken man is happier than a sober one." GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

"Children's playthings are not sports and should be deemed as their most serious actions." MONTAIGNE

"Real education must ultimately be limited to men who insist on knowing. The rest is mere sheep-herding." EZRA LOOMIS POUND

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." OSCAR WILDE

"In our country, we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either." MARK TWAIN

"The bigger the information media, the less courage and freedom they allow. Bigness means weakness." ERIC SEVAREID

"The artist needs no religion beyond his work." ELBERT HUBBARD

"Truth is not determined by majority vote." DOUG GWYN

"It's useful that there should be Gods, so let's believe there are." OVID

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few I had stashed in a folder on my computer.

"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
Rodney Dangerfield.

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
Les Dawson.

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
Charlie Brown.

"I once heard two ladies going on and on about the pains of childbirth and how men don't seem to know what real pain is. I asked if either of them ever got themselves caught in a zipper."
Emo Philips

"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex."
Edgar Wallace.

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
Oscar Wilde

"Heaven is an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife."
James H. Kabbler III.

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."
RD Laing.

"The trouble with children is that they're not returnable."
Quentin Crisp.

"People want to know why I do this, why I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy -- and I keep it in a jar on my desk."
Stephen King

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

"Beware of geeks bearing gifs." -- Anonymous

A Warning against email Virus spammers? Nice.

No-one has used this one yet?

"If we had kissed, it would have been the miracle to make us human in each other's eyes. Instead we killed each other." -The Hive Queen and The Hegemon

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never raise a hand to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected."

I think that one was Richard Pryor, Alcon.

"The definition of insanity is repeating an action and expecting a different result."

And this one, I think, was Einstein, Cashew

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." ~ Douglas Adams.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Thanks for that Alcon, I love that quote. I have it as a permanent fixture in my classroom and my students love it too, weirdly they seem to love most how it applies to them when they're trying to figure out how repeating the same work patterns didn't result in their gaining a passing grade this time.

Here's another of my favourites:
"True doctrine tastes good." Joseph Smith (slightly paraphrased)
and
"I know that God loves his children, nevertheless I do not understand the meaning of all things." Nephi

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Sarah Williams

Or as I have misquoted for years:

For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...Who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat.

- Teddy Roosevelt

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"

Chris Knight (Val Kilmer) Real Genius

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an innocence in admiration; it is found in those to whom it has never yet occurred that they, too, might be admired some day.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Beyond Good and Evil

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Very wise Avatar. Very wise,
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

[/late]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
“One out of every three Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of two of your best friends. If they are OK, then it must be you."
-George Carlin

“…it was rather like asking what 2 + 2 equaled, and finding out the answer was, ‘Chartreuse,’”
-Executive Orders, Tom Clancy

“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.