FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your Favorite Quotes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your Favorite Quotes
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's a dog-eat-dog world out there...and I'm wearing milk-bone underwear." - Unknown
Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
A closed mouth gathers no foot. ~?

This sentence is a lie. ~Raymond Smullyan

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem, and have the richest fluency not only in its words, but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body..."

-Walt Whitman.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding..."

-Justice Brandeis in his dissent
277 U.S. 438, 48 S.Ct. 564 (1928)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
"Nothing about literature can be more essential than the language it uses. A language has its own personality; implies an outook, reveals a mental activity, and has a resonance, not quite the same as any other. Not only the vocabulary - heaven can never mean quite the same as ciel - but the very shape of the syntax is sui generis." C.S. Lewis, The Discarded Image
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cashew:
Quote:
"We who are about to die salute you"- American Soldier at begining of war on terror
End quote
That's actually "Morituri salutant", which Roman gladiators were supposed to have said before they started killing each other.

Actually one of my best friends said that to an image of the president on the TV before he left for Iraq, thankfully he is still alive.

"Remember Red hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies"- Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by estavares:
"It's a dog-eat-dog world out there...and I'm wearing milk-bone underwear." - Unknown

NORM!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
"Klaatu barada nikto."

Actually I believe it was pronounced "Klaatu barada ni- *coughs heavaly*-, there, I said the magic words"- Bruce Cambell in Evil Dead
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
"We drift down time clutching at straws, but good is a brick to a drowning man?" - Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead: the play, not the movie.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
"Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think" -Fortune cookie
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

That is pretty cool for a fortune cookie.
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Not much of a fortune, however.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

True.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Astaril:
quote:
"Sunset used to depress me. But I learned in Baffin Island, you've just got to remember the light, keep it inside you, and wait. The sun comes back every monring."
--Maureen McHugh China Mountain Zhang

[Confused] But... on Baffin Island, the sun *doesn't* come back every morning!
Sure it does! The mornings just tend to be very spread out.

And so as to continue things:

"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death." --Anais Nin

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by alath:
"Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think" -Fortune cookie

"You love Chinese food." -- Fortune cookie

Got that one twice. Not kidding.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
quote:
Originally posted by alath:

"You love Chinese food." -- Fortune cookie

Got that one twice. Not kidding.

--j_k

I got a Fortune Cookie with a blank fortune once. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
"Why, that's the most fun I can have without being forced to cuddle afterwards!" - Dr. Cox
"Il pleut du sang!" - Faust

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
"I can't tell if you're a beautiful girl or just a still water that doesn't run deep." -Gene Kelly in An American in Paris

"I am writing graffiti on your body; I am drawing the story of how hard we tried." -Ani DiFranco

"In each other's shadows we grew less and less tall, til eventually our theories couldn't explain it all." -Ani DiFranco

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
"A designer knows that he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" - Antoine de St-Expurey
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
"Design is but a language... If you have nothing to say, it will not help you." - Bang & Olufsen
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"Help! I'm trapped in a fortune cookie factory!" - Fortune cookie
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
"Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep"

Someone's been playing too much Civ4 lately...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.
-Unknown

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeeshkid
Member # 9885

- posted      Profile for jeeshkid           Edit/Delete Post 
procrastinators unite... tomarrow
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.