FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cookie Exchange! Sign up to receive and then give cookies to Hatrackers. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Cookie Exchange! Sign up to receive and then give cookies to Hatrackers.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, KarlEd, Minerva, quid, and rivka, thanks for your praise, but I hardly deserve it! This is great fun for me to learn about these things, and it's a real privilege to participate in this way.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana, I'm speechless.

Well, not exactly. I'm just amazed. I like learning about other cultures, too, particularly Judaism - there seem to be some similarities between it and Mormonism, and I like what I learn from them. But I usually do it from books ... or conversations ... or from going with them to see how they do things. Not from jumping in on my own and cleaning out a shelf and buying all new utensils and having to put up a flier to get a Jew to come turn on my oven at just the right time ... I'm amazed. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I feel the strong connection with Judaism as well, mainly, I suppose, because we are both covenant peoples. But the fact that it's a little difficult (not really all that much) just makes it more fun. It makes my kitchen feel special and pure to me, that I can do this, because it's kosher. [Smile] It just feels like a great privilege!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Shan, KarlEd, Minerva, quid, and rivka, thanks for your praise, but I hardly deserve it! This is great fun for me to learn about these things, and it's a real privilege to participate in this way.

I know that's how you feel. That's part of what makes it so special. [Kiss] And you can't stop me. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!! I just got a huge box with some very delicious oatmeal cookies and delicious-looking muffins (I'll confirm their deliciousness tomorrow morning [Wink] . Thank you Tatiana!!!!!

Oh Keeper of the Cookie Chain! I am ready for my name and address!

Oh, and Tatiana, your packaging was incredible. I think they could have air-dropped the box onto my front porch and still not have broken a cookie. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Oh, and John Van Pelt in here now working on the mural, so he'll get a taste of your incredibleness, too. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
What is going on with the cookie exchange?
I had forgotten all about it until I got mine today (Thanks, Tatiana, the muffins are absolutely amazing! My thighs hate you!) but I don't know where to go from here.
Who am I sending cookies to now?

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Home Office will be sending out the next recipient of cookies to the present cookiers this afternoon.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Oh, wonderful!
And.. do they have to be shipped priority mail or will regular mail suffice?

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea between the two. I think regular mail is fine - that's within a week, right? I'd pack the cookies extra tight, to make sure they stay fresh as long as possible.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Sounds good to me.

**Oh, is there a way to buy stamps, or whatever it takes, from home, or is the post office the only way to send stuff..?**

Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
... your packaging was incredible. I think they could have air-dropped the box onto my front porch and still not have broken a cookie. [Big Grin]

Hah! Ask my friends how many packages of battered crumbs they received before I perfected my packing techniques. [Smile]

I hope you guys like them! I had a great time doing it!

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
**Oh, is there a way to buy stamps, or whatever it takes, from home, or is the post office the only way to send stuff..?**
USPS.com lets you purchase and print postage from your home, and schedule a pick-up.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

aiua, if you want to go UPS, they'll do a pickup from your house. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but they publish their rates, and you have to weigh the box. They're very fast but usually slightly higher than the post office.

At the post office they will weigh it for you and it's usually the cheapest way, but as far as I know you have to take the box to the nearest post office yourself. I don't think the postal delivery person will pick up packages. Does anyone else know for sure? You might try looking on their respective websites. UPS U.S.P.S.

Ah, thanks, eros! Faster and more accurate both! [Smile]

John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hope you guys like them! I had a great time doing it!
What a world. From my paintbrush to KarlEd's ceiling, from Tatiana's oven to my tummy. The real-life connections that happen through Hatrack are stupendous. Thank you Tatiana for the delicious cookies and Karl for sharing (he shares everything).
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, I made my cookies last night. I'm sending them out after work today. Tatiana, I'm recycling your packaging. [Big Grin]
KarlEd
Member # 571

cookies sent. Should arrive by Monday.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

KarlEd, I'm glad it came in useful. I hope you signed the card and passed it along too! [Smile]
aiua
Member # 7825

Cookies sent!
I just realized that this wasn't supposed to be a secret thing like the gift exchange... [Big Grin] Oh, well.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

By next week I should be able to open for business Tatiana's Kosher Kookie Kitchen. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs*

Tatiana, that's awesome!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
KarlEd, I'm glad it came in useful. I hope you signed the card and passed it along too! [Smile]

Yep, card is signed and included.
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

I got some yummy peanut butter cookies today!

I'd forgotten about it until I got them today!

Just waiting formy turn to send some out...

-Mimsies

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Yay! Glad they got there safely. I used The Rabbit's super-simple PB cookie recipe and thought they turned out pretty tasty. In fact, I might make some again tonight. [Big Grin]

Did you find something else in the packaging?

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the card to send on, and am working hard on not losing it, so I can send it on...

I also found a pretty. It looks like a hair tie, or ornament , or could work as a book mark too. My son covets it, so I said we can share it. Now that you mention it, does it have a specific purpose, or can I hang it above the bed?

I shared the cookies with the kids in the 1st grade class I volunteer in. One of the little boys said "This makes me think of Lembas!" (Elven Way Bread)

Thanks so much!

-Mimsies

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm being a really, truly rotten cookie exchanger. I was one of the first people assigned a person to send cookies to, and I just haven't been able to get them made and sent out. :sigh:

I'd understand if y'all want to skip me for now, and let me send out cookies later (like when stupid girl scout cookie sales are over. Driving me nuts, they are!).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

mimsies, the "pretty" is a book-thong, but you can use it however you like. I gave about 50 of them over the Christmas holiday and only a fraction of them are actually being used as bookmarks. The most popular use I've seen so far is as a rear-view mirror dangly in my friend's cars. Go figure. As long as they bring joy, I'm not too picky about how. [Smile]
KarlEd
Member # 571

Has anyone received cookies but not gotten a name to send cookies to?
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to my mail box today and a package of cookies had arrived!! This just made my day!

Aiua, these cookies are excellent!! I'd never heard of sour cream cookies before and didn't really know what to expect. They are DELICIOUS!! I'm so glad that you included the recipe, because I will definitely be making these again. Thank you! [Big Grin]

I'm ready for my name to help spread the cookie bliss. [Smile]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Oh, I'm so glad you like them! [Big Grin]
I was kind of worried that I'd put down the wrong address after all!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Okay, Tatiana's Kosher Kookie Kitchen is officially open for business. Cookie Czars, I need a name and address, when you have one. [Smile]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone still doing this? I really want to make my cookies for someone to spread my love.

Oh, and I'd like to get some cookies as well.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! Me too!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

We have two chains going right now. There are a couple of people who sent incomplete information (like no mailing address) so I haven't put them in a chain yet. (I'll contact the affected parties shortly.)

So far, 4 people have received cookies and two should be receiving them soon. So, short answer is "Yes, people are still doing this." [Smile]

Tatiana, so far no one who requires Kosher has sent in a participation email. We don't have an address for you [Frown]

KarlEd
Member # 571

Oh, Mimsies and Amanecer were the last to report receiving cookies. I sent you both names. Have you sent out cookies yet? (Not rushing, just trying to see where we stand).

[Smile]

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent you my address KarlEd and am ready to go (I think). Thanks.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Thanks to the awesomeness of pfresh85 giving me a ride to the post office, I sent my cookies out today! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm waiting for a name to begin the kosher cookie chain, just in case you have one yet, that is. No rush. [Smile]
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Just checking, but am I on the list to participate?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It seems our cookie Czar and Czarina vacationing in the Crimea. [Wink]

To join, Celaeno, you just send your name and address (and hatrack sn) to hatrackgiftexchange AT gmail DOT com.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I did that already, but I never received a response. I'll try again. [Smile]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Celaeno - Yes, we have your email.
Tatiana - So far no designated Kosher participants. [Frown]

We have two chains active and a third pending, but that's been pending for a while, so maybe I'll start a new third one.

By the way, has anyone received cookies but not yet gotten a name to send to?

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanecer, got them!! The family is enjoying them so much.

Now, who do I do?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Yay!! I'm so glad that you liked them! [Big Grin]
KarlEd
Member # 571

romanylass, your recipient's name has been sent. Please check your email and let me know if there are problems.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent today. But forgot the recipe -d'oh!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

YUM! We love chocolate chip cookies and just in time to make school lunches. What a great treat! Thank you romanylass.

Now I'm ready for a name.

KarlEd
Member # 571

sweetbaboo, your cookie recipient name has been sent.

Thanks for everyone's patience, especially those of you who started chains. We seem to have one chain that has stalled and one new one starting.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Got it. Thanks KarlEd.
romanylass
Member # 6306

Cool! I hope your kids enjoy them. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.