FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cookie Exchange! Sign up to receive and then give cookies to Hatrackers. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Cookie Exchange! Sign up to receive and then give cookies to Hatrackers.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The new chain will start early next week - I'm going to Florida early tomorrow morning and will be unable to start it up before then.

I haven't even packed yet. [Wink]

But the important part is that it WILL start. And soon. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
If chain-stalling is going to be a big problem, then I suggest we consider a two-for-one generation process. This would cause the number of chains to grow over time, and possibly compensate for some broken chains.

Another idea (and maybe you're already doing this) is email to ask each potential recipient, immediately before sending out thier name, if they will be able to continue the chain within 2 weeks of receiving their cookies. If everyone makes a firm commitment right before they get their cookies, hopefully this will keep broken chains to a minimum.

Just some ideas. I expected we'd have to adjust the paramaters a bit according to what works and what doesn't work. I can start some new chains any time you need me to. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
While I do one, I can quite easily do another if that helps. Just let me know.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cookies are baking... [Smile]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Cookies are sent.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome, sweetbaboo! I am studying reactor physics this week and the two-for-one generation trick is how we keep our chains going inside the core. [Wink] That compensates for leakage as well as resonance absorption of epithermal neutrons. We might actually want to go supercritical for a while to get the cookie reaction up and running full power. [Cool]

[ April 12, 2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
sweetbaboo, thank you so much! They're absolutely delicious. I'm selfishly hiding them from my roommate. [Big Grin]

I'm ready for my address! I can bake the brownies tomorrow.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

You're welcome. I hope they got there in one piece (or as close to as possible) I tried to do some creative bubble-wrapping. I'm glad that you got them!

Happy Spring!

Celaeno
Member # 8562

They were mostly intact and so pretty! But hey, even the broken ones tasted good.

(Yes, I have completely and single-handedly finished them off.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

[Big Grin] I'm glad you enjoyed them.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno,
Your recipient's name has been sent.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

They're in the oven right now. If I don't mess them up royally, they'll be in the mail tomorrow.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Wow, late night baking binge??
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm a college student. We don't sleep. [Smile]

They're done and will be in the mail this afternoon. Hopefully I won't eat them all first.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Sent!

To my recipient: I'm so sorry for the excessive tape. I was very worried about it falling apart. Ohh, I hope they keep. If they don't, let me know and I'll try something else.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm a little concerned that my person hasn't received them yet. They should've been there on Tuesday.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've taken over the cookie list from KarlEd! People, please sign up for cookie chains, let me know if you are willing to found your own chain, if you want to be part of a kosher cookie chain, or if you would enjoy being part of an experimental chain-reaction chain that spawns 2 for 1. That is, for each batch of cookies you receive, you send out two batches. If this works well, we will soon have cookie-goodness spanning the globe. [Smile]

The email address, once again, is HatrackGiftExchange AT gmail DOT com.

[ May 06, 2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

The emails have gone out this month for the latest round, and we're founding several new chains. So be sure to send your name, address, and cookie preferences/allergies to HatrackGiftExchange AT gmail DOT com, if you want to participate.

Now accepting new founders and new recipients (must be able to commit to sending out next batch within two weeks). If you're not sure whether or not you will have time, then sign up anyway. Each potential recipient is emailed in advance of their name being selected, to be sure it's a good time for them to participate right now. You can always skip one round, and take part in the next. Founders get to choose the name-animal of the chains they found. So far we have the Meerkat Chain, the Dragon Chain, the Fox Chain, and the Chinchilla Chain.

With each chain, there is an associated card, with greetings from the prior links in the chain, along with nickname, date, and city, if they want to include it. This gives a tangible account of the connections along the way. [Smile]

Come and sign up! It's great fun!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Two new chains have been founded now, The Okapi Chain, and the Cerberus Chain. I think the names (chosen by the founders) are outstanding. [Smile]
Celaeno
Member # 8562

There was supposed to be a card? I never got a card.
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Celaeno, you didn't get a card because I didn't send one/didn't get one either. I think this is a new thing with the new chains that are being started!?
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Oh, okay. I think a card's a good idea. [Smile]

And I'm really sad that it appears the chain ended. The person I sent to doesn't even seem to be on Hatrack anymore. I hope she at least received them.

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

I think the card is a good idea too, could it make us *almost* real??
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, it could make your signature real, at least. [Wink]
Carrie
Member # 394

The Cerberus Chain is off the ground and running!

(NB: The cookies should arrive by the end of the week. Here's hoping they arrive in one piece! I also hope they taste alright, as I froze them prior to shipping, and I've never frozen them before. [Angst] )

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

KarlEd [Taunt]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

sweetbaboo and Celeano, your chain was originally launched with a card. Apparently it didn't make it all the way to you. I'm sorry about that. I thought it would be sort of cool to have a card that reached all the way back to the founder, with greetings from all the links along the way.

Oh, and sweetbaboo, I think people who sign cards and bake cookies gain quite a bit in substance from those activities. At least enough to graduate from a ghost to a poltergeist, for instance. Whether or not it can make you fully real, I'm not certain. I have always thought that just talking to someone frequently and knowing them well online for a year or so was enough to make them real. And if their cookies are very delicious, that would tend to substantiate their claims of reality a great deal, at least in my estimation. [Smile]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Since my recepient seems to have disappeared, can I send a new batch to the person after her? Or does that count as cheating...
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

I would like to hop back into the chain again too (you know, for the poltergeist status, if nothing else [Big Grin] )
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Celaeno, you certainly may! Do you want to count it as founding a new chain, with animal-naming privileges and the option to start your own founder traditions? Or would you like to count it as continuing the illustrious Dragon Chain, which has such an outstanding history?

Your choice, either way. The Cookie Committee shall email you the name of your recipient momentarily.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

sweetbaboo, you're in the recipient's pool for future rounds. [Smile] (Oh, and I believe! [Wink] )

[ May 09, 2006, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Tatiana, I'd like to continue the Dragon Chain, I think. Can I start a new card for this one, though? I'm sad that ours got lost.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes, Celaeno! I'm glad you're going to keep it going! Do start a new card for it! That would be awesome!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It was a cool card! It had a picture of the earth on the front, against a black starfield. If anybody along the chain still has it, it would be cool if you could send it back to cookie central, so that it can be forwarded and catch up with its chain. Starting a new one works too, though. [Smile]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, the cookies are wonderful! And I'd never have known you'd frozen them...

[Smile] Thank you!

I'm ready for the address of the next Cerberus Chain recipient! (though I won't be actually making the cookies for a few days as I have a cold and I don't want to pass that along as well.)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome! Dragon, you and Celaeno should both have received your recipient's names now. Dragon, yours is still pending confirmation.

Good idea about waiting until the cold passes. Once I baked about 10 dozen cookies to send out to friends and came down with a vicious flu the next day, so I felt I could not in good conscience mail all those germ-warfare cookies to unsuspecting victims, so I was forced to eat them all myself. O:-)

Carrie
Member # 394

Huzzah! I'm very very happy they came and that you enjoy them - and that the freezing didn't kill them! I'm visiting PA right now, and my friend practically demands that I keep making them. I've been here for four days and have made two batches already. [Smile]

Go Cerberus!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

We're almost to the end of the first round, back to the founders. Do you founders want to stay loyal to the chains you founded, or would you rather mix it up a little? In other words, do you want to collect all the chains, eventually, like a charm bracelet? Or do you want to stay true to your same chain and just let it keep getting longer, while rearranging the order? What do you think?
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I baked them last night, but I wasn't watching and they burned. [Frown]

I'll need to try another batch later.

Carrie
Member # 394

Even though I just founded a chain, I think we should do the "charm bracelet" idea.

Collect them all, for a limited time only!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Awesome, Carrie! I sort of think so too. [Smile]

Celaeno, it's so easy to burn cookies! Usually my first sheet is the calibration batch. [Wink] Then after that, I can usually adjust the timer setting to get them to come out right. Consolation prize is I get to eat the burned (and raw! mmmm!) cookies myself.

[ May 23, 2006, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it's taken me so long, but the Cerberus Chain is back in business - I mailed my cookies today!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.