FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Great Thread o' Bragging

Author Topic: The Great Thread o' Bragging
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My new bed was delivered yesterday morning. It's a metal sleigh bed. I got a new mattress, too. I went out last night and bought super nice sheets and a comforter and a fushia polarfleece blanket to fold up across the foot of the bed. It's so pretty and so comfortable.

What do you guys have to brag about? [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just posted in this thread. I'm a braggart, I know.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned to knit two weeks ago and finished two scarves and I'm working on two purses.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am making progress on guitar playing, but I cannot play today because I am in pain.
And I am making a bit of progress on my novel

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm listening to Mudhoney.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a new job.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! WHat's the gig, Anne Kate?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::also curious::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yes, do tell!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I won a poker tournament last night. And I sold a textbook that I got for free from my sister to another student for $50. And tonight I'm babysitting for $10 an hour (even if I am missing a party for it). I was poor before this week and desperately needed money. Whoohoo!
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

My mommy is buying me this table, which matches my bed! [Big Grin] For once, I'm going to own things that match!

-pH

Edit: Fixed link. Sorry 'bout that. [Blushing]

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, that's the wrong link. Kind of R rated too.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
*bragging* I never brag! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend I'm working as a sinologist for the first time [Big Grin] (showing the City to a Chinese couple)

And as for furnishing flats: maybe in 3 weeks I'll have a loo in my new flat!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Yes yes yes YESSSS!!!! [Wink]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I've made 8 ears and 40 toes in 6 years!
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a science fiction story I'm very proud of, called "And Raindrops Softly Fell" involving a missing persons investigation, alien horror and a romance gone awry. YAY!
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the title.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by R. Ann Dryden:
I just finished a science fiction story I'm very proud of, called "And Raindrops Softly Fell" involving a missing persons investigation, alien horror and a romance gone awry. YAY!

It sounds interesting! I wanna read it!

-pH

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
My mod just won an award for Mod of The Year

http://features.moddb.com/218/?fpage=8

(Hall of Mirrors)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that three times before I realized you said "my mod" and not "my mom.

I thought it was really cool that your mom had done that, though.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:

Cuuuute!!

I bought and addressed 40 Valentine's Day cards and they were all hand selected for each individual. They are Perfect! AEEhehehh can't wait to send them!

Miss Heartless, your address please!

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[Confused]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hey, no fair, you had to have at least a little help with that accomplishment. Even if his part was all fun and yours was all work, you can't take all the credit.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good enough GPA to stay in honors!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian J. Hill:
quote:

Hey, no fair, you had to have at least a little help with that accomplishment. Even if his part was all fun and yours was all work, you can't take all the credit.
Well, he may have added an ingredient or two, but I did all the cooking.

However, I will give Him a lot of the credit, because I really don't know how I did it. [Smile] It was hard though!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent in a story called "Hammer and Nails" to a publishing company. Still waiting to hear back, but it's the first time I've ever tried to publish something.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I got free Georgetown v. Syracuse tickets.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a 4.00 GPA! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm cooler than Tinros.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skilled with a lightsabre.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'm cooler than Tinros.

How can you prove that? I happen to have a fairly LOW body temperature, normally.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished a LISP interpreter.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I make Lego animations
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, that's something to be PR()u|) of for sure!
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I broke my school's record score for the SAT with a 1520! Of course, that was nearly fourteen years ago, and I haven't really done anything brag-worthy since then. Eh, I guess I peaked early.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'm cooler than Tinros.

How can you prove that? I happen to have a fairly LOW body temperature, normally.
I'm so cool I don't even have to prove it!
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I met my first Hatracker on Friday!

(If you don't count the ones I knew before I joined.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making immense progress on MEM III.

And I've successfully kept Middle Earth Mud I and II alive for almost 3 years now!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
The Student Conference I am organizing for Feb 9-11 currently feels like it's going nice and smooth, we've have amazing, amazing speakers coming in for it, the panels have fantastic names and we have almost enough money to pay for it all. It's going to be great.

And then it'll be over and I can sleep.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I nearly single handedly organized a student protest and through a series of angry letters convinced a small town school board to come up with $30,000 to provide Apple iBooks to my whole class.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I swept and mopped the kitchen floor
But now I must sit here and breathe in pine forest fumes
The rabbit too
My head hurts...
Perhaps i'll open the door or chase the rabbit into the bathroom somehow.

And I will soon do the landry

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My open source correspondence chess program has been translated into Italian, Dutch, German, and (soon) Spanish, and has been downloaded over 700 times. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I am proud of these shots:

this one

and this one

and this one too

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve written this a while ago, and I’m darn proud of it [Big Grin] I think I was waiting for this thread to come into existence to “go public” with it [Wink]

I’ll use the quote tag in order to have a “frame” for the story. Here it is, any comments are welcome [Smile]

quote:

“I AM AT LEAST 10 TIMES MORE INTELLIGENT THAN MODEST”

- the proof –

So, you don’t believe me? It is all about the message I’m sending. Remember, it is not a question of whether I’m right or wrong (at least not at the first level), and that I face up to the consequences of this message.

Let’s take it slowly. What I’m saying, and the manner in which I’m saying it, may sound a little like bragging. And that is the first point. Bragging is the opposite of being modest. So saying it like this, is like saying “I’m not a modest person at all”, right? And it follows that I’m not intelligent, for ten (or more) times zero is just “a bigger” zero. Therefore, what I’m apparently saying (and it is on purpose) is that I’m not intelligent at all. And here you are. Saying that I’m not intelligent (being or not so, is irrelevant at this point), is being modest. And the more you are convinced that I’m not an intelligent person (that is, as much as I convince you of that), the more modest that makes me. And the more modest I am, the more intelligent that makes me, following the phrase that started this proposition. This concludes the first part of this proof.

And now, one may argue: All that I’ve just said proves quite easily, that I’m intelligent (and that is what you are supposed to believe that I’m trying to do at this level). And so, if I was intelligent and declaring it “out loud” (I mean by a subtle phrase) it would mean that the first part of the proposition is false (because it would mean that I really was bragging). And so, we’ve got a moral dilemma. I’m trying to convince you that I’m modest (for you will think again that this was the point at some level), and actually doing nothing else but bragging. Isn’t that just a sorry form of lying, of deceiving?
That makes me quite a liar. So again, what I’m saying (after the “short” analysis that you’ve just read) is that I’m not worthy of either trust, or of being listened to. But as this is an indirect consequence of what, and particularly the way in which I’m saying it, this means that I’m declaring indirectly that I’m a simple person, with defects, uncertainties, downfalls and all the rest (whether this is true or not in my case is, again, irrelevant). And that is so because, as I said at the beginning, I face up to all the implications of my proposition.

Furthermore, the fact that you’re reading this proves that I’m conscious about all this, so I know what I’m saying and I realize this context.
Now, declaring consciously something that comes to nothing more than making me a simple person, is being modest at its best, one must agree. So again, following the phrase I’m proudly sustaining, I’m quite an intelligent person (at least ten times more intelligent than modest). And this means that in the end I’m right! So, if you look at it carefully, I’ve just proved with an apparently false phrase that I’m right. Isn’t this another sign of intelligence … or is it bragging?

This may continue at various levels, and at any point one decides that all this proves nothing more but my nullity (another word for stupidity), one must remember that I’ve thought of this first and that I face up to all the consequences. And the more null what I’m saying seems to be, the more modest this makes me, and consequently at least ten times more intelligent.

Now it is time to make the point: I’m not trying to demonstrate here that I’m either intelligent, or modest. I’m simply proving that “I am at least ten times more intelligent than modest” and that it could be true for any amount of intelligence.
Are you convinced yet? The simple fact that I’m using a paradox to characterize myself (tricky attitude, for it can be interpreted in many ways), proves my being above the average quota of intelligence.
Oh no, I’m bragging again!?

A.

PS: I used to be conceited, but now I’m absolutely perfect.
Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a webcomic that other people actually read!

www.green-avenger.com

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest is now a ham. A licensed one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.