FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who would you kill from history? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who would you kill from history?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The British.
You want to kill an entire nationality of people?

Also: Why? Or are you joking (hyperliteral person speaking)?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go after whoever is the originator of that most acursed book (the Holy Bible), and show him what kind of damage his book will cause to the world. Before I killed him and destroyed all his records. [Cool]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
To look at the bible and only see the harm it has done is just as myopic as looking at the bible and only seeing the good that it's done.

It's just not that bad, Advent...

Atheist Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine then, I wouldn't kill him. But I would force him to watch reruns of televangelists for all eternity. [Evil Laugh]

That way if he can learn how twisted his writings became.

And if Jesus was real then I'd appologize for the fact that many in the future believed that he was white. [Smile]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Oh and its good to know that I'm not the only Atheist here on Hatrack.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even say that you are the athiest. There is at least one 'racker that I can think of who is athier than thou.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Who, and the better question... is it a girl?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Killing Mao depends on what time, Chinawould be in far worse straights now if you killed him before 1949, between 1954-1968 would in theory be the only period inwhich it would be a good idea, but would killing him before the Cultural Revolution accomplish much? Would it instead cause the One China Policy to have never have happened leaving millions of relatively well to do Chinese people in abject poverty? Be careful who you choose for it will have advserse consquences and I'm not saying this because of my own bias, I very well know about his mistaken policies during and after the Great Leap and how I wish some of them could have been prevented but China as it is today is thanks to him and to the other higher ups plus the wills of some 600,000,000 Chinese in the 1937-1978 period, after which economics took its turn.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
The British.
You want to kill an entire nationality of people?

Also: Why? Or are you joking (hyperliteral person speaking)?

I'm not a fan of genocide, of course I'm kidding.

In reality, I have a lot of problems with the British, but mostly I'm annoyed with the fact that they played Cartographer in the Middle East and now the US gets blamed for all the problems over there when we try to fix Britain's messes.

They form an oppressive Empire, but 50 years after it dies everyone thinks they are the cat's meow. America forms no empire and frees all of western Europe and 50 years later everyone hates us with a fury.

They annoy me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

And they have bad teeth.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is, hands down and without a doubt, the *strangest* Hatrack thread I have ever stumbled into.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Less bloodthirsty question: whose life would you go back and save?

Considering just America (because otherwise I can't narrow it down enough to pick one) I'd start with Lincoln. If Reconstruction could have been done without the vindictiveness and more attention paid to actually protecting and helping the freed slaves, this could be a very different country.

I'm not sure he could have pulled it off, though.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

If I could pick someone from China it would be Sun Tzu, how wrote the Art of War. I would save him from his torture by his enemies.

His mind would be worshiped and invaluable to the world.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee -

The Kennedys.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I would not rescue anyone for the same reasons that i would not kill anyone. The effects would be so enormous and unseen as to change the world as we know it.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I would kill you Orange. Simply because I don't like the color blue... or wait a second...
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I am invincible. Did i forget to mention that earlier.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever was behind burning the library at Alexandria.
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Dagonee -

The Kennedys.

What's the expected outcome that makes this the best choice? (Oh, and you have to pick just one. [Razz] )
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Good one!

Edit: It's still a good one. [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

(please note editorial and typographical changes... it isn't absolutely certian that an army burned it...)

It may have been Julius Caesar, but likely only indirectly...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I would save Mozart. There are other classical composers I liked better (Bach springs to mind) but Bach had a full life and wrote more music than I can comprehend... Mozart is the epitomy of lost potential. All that he did and he died younger than I am today...

Dag: I'm not sure I would save Lincoln. I think a lot of the reason that so much of his reconstruction policies made it into law was in remberance of him. If he were still alive, his enemies would have fought him tooth and nail to make sure the South suffered for being so uppity.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Einstien:
Me id kill hitler.

Your id kills Hitler? Freud would be impressed. Einstein, unfortunately, is not.
That's amazing. I love how the minds at Hatrack work

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The British.

AFTER America was already created.

But think about their accents and funny hats! You can't kill the British. Plus, if you killed them, then we wouldn't have comedic genuis such as Dame Edna and Eddie Izzard.

As for me, I think I would have to go with Hitller. Although it is possible that someone else could have risen through the ranks, I think that Hitler did it with a flair that we could have done without.

[ January 31, 2006, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh come now... at least go for Stalin instead of Hitler.

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/tyrants.htm

Or I'd save Archduke Ferdinand, even if he was just a casus beli

AJ

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

If he was fat he'd be a Casus Belly
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They annoy me.
I wouldn't usually get into this, and I really don't want to cause a firestorm, but I'm sitting here and asking myself if I can let this go by and the answer keeps coming back as 'no'. I realise you were semi-joking but your answer about why seemed sincere, so I'm going from there.

So, and you realise you're taking me away from the West Wing to do this.

First of all, and most obviously, it's very foolish of you to blame a nation for the crimes of its leaders, especially those who were born nearly a hundred years ago. I don't think anything else needs to be said on that point, and you must understand that.

quote:
mostly I'm annoyed with the fact that they played Cartographer in the Middle East
First of all, see above. Second of all, I don't think many people in the world, including the British, think that dividing any area arbitrarily- be it the Middle East, parts of Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Antarctica or North America, all of which have had claims made at some point over their landscape by an outside power- is a good thing. In fact, most countries try not to do it at all costs.

When the Sykes-Picot Agreement was signed it was signed secretly and to keep western power in the Middle East. I believe Italy got a part too. It was a terrible idea, an agreement made in the middle of a war, for goodness' sake...

Not to excuse it by any means, but when you're loosing thousands of men every day in a trench war and you have no idea even if you're going to win and you have a mad general...

When you're on the way down, a lot of bad stuff happens. You get desperate. See the Suez Crisis for more "stupid last resorts".

And it undermined what T.E. Lawrence had been doing the whole time, too.

quote:
and now the US gets blamed for all the problems over there when we try to fix Britain's messes.
I wouldn't say that the U.S. is being blamed for the messes in the Middle East. Yes, many people are saying that the U.S. shouldn't have gone in, but I don't think that the U.S. is being caused the root of the problems very much if at all.

Also, please do not forget that the British also have troops in Iraq.

quote:
They form an oppressive Empire, but 50 years after it dies everyone thinks they are the cat's meow.
I don't think "everyone" thinks that the oppressive Empire is the cats meow. I think the people you mean like the percieved romantic and extensive history of the country, some of the culture and the accents.

quote:
America forms no empire and frees all of western Europe
I'm know Western Europe is very grateful. But see below.

quote:
and 50 years later everyone hates us with a fury.
"Everyone" hates a winner. After Pax Americana falls, "everyone" will love the U.S. and hate whoever's next [Wink] .

The dominant power is always disliked simply because it's the dominant power and no one can really do anything about it but nuture a vague dislike which can be focused either way (like/dislike) by an event.

But America and Americans are not universally hated in Europe, not any more than the reverse is true. The two continents, the two countries, England and America, are so incredibly different, of course there are going to be tensions. Heck, there's tension between Canada and America!

Anyway. There you have it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it was his Sun who got his feet cut off me thinks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of that story I read once where a guy was sent back in time to kill Hitler before he came to power, but since the assassin would have such information as to make him dangerous, then another assassin was sent to kill HIM, and another to kill HIM, and another, and another, and another...

For me, I'd bump off Mr. Floyd Abernathy, Jr. from Conifer Junction, Idaho who lived in 1891.

I don't know who he is, but he...must...be...STOPPED!

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and what would I save?

I think maybe my dignity. I lost him back in 1985, I think. Maybe it was 1986.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited on account of it probably being unnecessarily inflammatory.

[ January 31, 2006, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Bob the Lawyer ]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

That is why I would save Sun Tzu and make him my military advisor.

That way he would be indebted to me [Evil Laugh]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:

quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
You don't mean McCarthy do you?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:

Probably some dude with some WAY overdue library fines.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie Izzard is the man! If for no other reason, spair the Britts!
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Cortez.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
*pounds podium* That quote was taken out of context! I protest.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcare:
Since Habermas is still alive, I'm thinking that particular day's discussion was about who they would abort in the womb. And I remembered the other person--Paul of Tarsus. Well to mention Foucault, is to drop the f-bomb, and Habermas and or public sphere is equally irritating.

Okay, but why Rousseau?

(Sorry, I know I got to the thread late.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.