FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » KosherCon! Sunday, March 5, 2006 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: KosherCon! Sunday, March 5, 2006
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, nope, I have to be at a play rehearsal that day.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, rivka. Do you know what hotel you'll be at?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Yup.

This one. Although their site lists a slightly different address. I guess those are the two sides of the building?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's your party, I guess. Pick an address and a time. I'm bringing my wife. (safer than explaining that I'm going to meet a bunch of women at a hotel in NY)

Meeting in the lobby, I presume?

Note: I have a pretty bad case of GERD, so vindaloo is out.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Lobby sounds good. [Smile] I think there's just the one lobby, accessible from both sides of the building? If not, I say go with the second, as that's the site I booked through.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Shall we say noon?

And does that mean all Indian food is out? Or do Indian places usually have stuff you can have, Glenn?

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It was more of a heads up. Indian food is usually pretty spicy, and I'm not familiar enough with it to say whether it's reasonable to go into an indian restaurant and expect to find something I can eat. But I've had vindaloo, and it's out of the question.

If you guys have your heart set on indian I'll make do, but gefilte fish would be easier on the tum.

Actually, this may sound weird, but I find that the easiest place to find food I can eat is in mexican restaurants.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Adam may have experience with the restaurant(s) in question . . .

Oh, Adam!

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
*Grumbling with envy because this sounds like a really fun con and misses NYC and can't go.* [Grumble]
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So it sounds like Indian might not be the best choice. What about Chinese?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Chinese is fine. Especially in NYC. (Don't know why, but most ethnic food tastes better in NYC)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Indian places generally have completely non-spicy dishes on the menu, if you ask the server. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Excellent, Glenn. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- with bells on
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

We'll be there.

My wife and I will be wearing fedoras, and I'm told (by many people) that I look like Tom Hanks.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone come pick me up.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- is sad that she has to work that day and thus misses the chance to meet cool Hatrackers and become Real
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I'm not going to be able to make it. Next time, I hope.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

My wife and I will be wearing fedoras, and I'm told (by many people) that I look like Tom Hanks.

I'll be wearing a black beret. I'm told by many people that I look like someone's Jewish mother.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
aren't you

aren't you

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, uh, yeah. And I LOOK it!
rivka
Member # 4859

Um. I haven't decided what I'll be wearing, but I'll be the sleepy one in the lobby. [Wink]

Does anyone need my cell number, or do y'all have it from last time?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, rivka, it is Hatrack, so, wear a hat. Or a snood. Or, what the hey, a sheitl.

I'll be wearing a sheitl AND a hat. 'Cause I'm Ultra.
[Hat] <-- Taking off my hat to reveal my sheitl.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, at least it is a non-Avodah Zorah sheitl.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Adam, you crack me up!

How many Hatrackers do you figure get that joke?

narrativium
Member # 3230

I did! I did!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It was a joke?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
Does anyone need my cell number, or do y'all have it from last time?
Well, I wasn't there last time, and I don't have a cell phone. Guess I could use a pay phone.

What was the question again?

rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin]

I knew you didn't have it, but since you'd mentioned you didn't have one, I wasn't sure if you would find having mine useful.

Email me if you'd like it. [Smile]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
How many Hatrackers do you figure get that joke?
Send me a blueprint, please.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would be able to make it with my father, but things got really hectic at his job and he has to work all weekend. Maybe next time.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Aw. [Frown]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

There is a chance that Son of Shvester might be able to make it, though.
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah, that's about right.
rivka
Member # 4859

Possibly more, if anyone recalls the relevant discussion in the Rebbetzin thread.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Which is, by the way, the shining golden thread that ties everything here up for me.
rivka
Member # 4859

I'd also be happy to sell you some lovely water.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Filtered?
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle* Sure. I use my best snood.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, guys, I know you are all waiting, breathlessly, eagerly, impatiently, for the report of how KosherCon2006 went, and if Glenn ever got to figure out this joke: [Hail] [Hat]

Well, poor rivka, all tuckered out from her transcontinental flight, and unacclimated to the brisk New York climate, was a real trouper, trouping around the city streets towards the beacon guiding us all -- Kosher Chinese food. Adam, Glenn, the charming Mrs. Arnold, rivka and I all ate tasty soup and crunchy noodles and sipped tea out of tiny cups without handles. Photos were taken, including one of ME kneeling on Theodore Dreiser on the NYC sidewalk, while tall Glenn stood over me and took my picture. This was in a bold effort to make me look more photogenic. When the pictures get posted (and, hey! when are the pictures going to get posted?) you can judge for yourself to see if the effort bore fruit.

And yeah, Glenn got the joke. The brilliance of Adam's joke is that he condensed 20 minutes of explanation, exposition, and retelling into the poetically succinct [Hail] [Hat]

Thanks to all for getting together. I had a lovely time in your company.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

"and, hey! when are the pictures going to get posted?"

I'm working on it. The camera saves the files at 8MB, so I'm photoshopping them down to a reasonable size for screen display. Then I'll pick the best ones and send them to Adam so he can post them.

It's report card time, so I've been kinda busy.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
It's report card time, so I've been kinda busy.

Eh, just give 'em all A's. Task done and everyone's happy.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

That'd be pretty hard to justify, especially with some of my students pulling a solid 11%.

I emailed my selection of photos to Adam. It's up to him now.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: sorry I was wrong, he's here.

And my mom once had a ceramics student who should have gotten a negative 5%, because of late reductions.

[ March 08, 2006, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn, send them my way and I'll post them.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

I made a photoshop action to resize photos and save them as jpeg at one point, but I'm not sure where it went.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Florida?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Mack, I sent 'em your way. Thanks.

Narrativium: I should figure out a quicker way to do that. If you can remember, let me know ('course I'm using photoshop 4.01, it might not have the capability.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.