FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Literary Lust (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Literary Lust
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Eilonwy from the Prydain Chronicles.
Meg from A Wrinkle in Time
Lusa from Prodigal Summer

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Death and Morpheus crush, though by the end of the series I kind of wanted to smack the Sandman for his self absorbed weighty ponderings.
Shadow from American Gods... Hot.

I had a HUGE crush on Heathcliff till I became old enough to realize what an a**hole he actually was.

I also have a crush on the Beast from Robin Mckinleys adaptation of that story.

I could never really stand Gilbert, but I did have a rather large crush on the older guy she goes out with in later stories. I cant remember his name now, but he was hot.

I read a story when I was a kid about a rabbi who created the golem, the name of which I cant remember for the life of me, and for some strange reason I totally fell in love with the rabbi.

I also loved the main character from the Night series by Elie Wiesel.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl with eager eyes and yellow hair from Robert Browning's "Love Among the Ruins."

Also, his Pauline in "One Way of Love." She stands in for a girl I used to like. Ah, suppose that my Pauline had bade me sing!

Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow and Morpheus, definitely.
Roland Deschain
Eddie Dean
Ron, Bill, Fred and George Weasley.
Remus Lupin
Sirius Black
Peter Pevensie
Aragorn
FitzChivalry Farseer
The Fool
Verity Farseer

There are more, I'm sure. I just can't think of them. I'm not including Tv and movie characters, cause there are way too many.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, in my sophomore year of high school I read a short story and I can't remember its title or author, but I was in love with one of its characters. He was sweet and spontaneous and a social outcast and in love with the story's narrator (or main character, I can't remember if it was in the first or third person). They bought bowling balls at a thrift shop and gave them homes by leaving them on their teachers' porches in the middle of the night. She broke up her her jock boyfriend for him. He was diagnosed with cancer, and to say their goodbyes, he took her to the airport and made himself a plane ticket in a sleeve and everything. As they kissed and she cried, he dropped the ticket and a lady picked it up and handed it back silently so as not to disturb them.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've been trying to figure it out for years.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Menolly!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I can't think of a single literary character I lust after. However I am a man. The vast majority of respondents here are women, lusting after the men that, when I read the stories, I identified with.

Do authors write stories with male characters that the men want to be, and the women want to be with? What does this say about our culture, about writers, about writing, about men and about women?

There is a great Psychology (Sociology, Women's Studies) Grad Paper in this.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, I know McCaffrey CAN write decent women. They mostly all start out that way, but look at Lessa and Killashandra, or the Rowan. They all kind of get bitter and pissy. Even Menolly, once the POV switches to that other kid, Piemur? Can't remember his name, anyway, she even gets pissy at times.

Actually, my biggest complaint with her work is that her characters aren't different enough. Lars and F'lar are kind of similar. Lessa and Killashandra, ditto. And lots of her other hero/heroine combinations start to be samey as well.

But how could I have forgotten Robinton? What woman wouldn't want to be swept off her feet by him? - There, now I'm back on topic!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan_raven, I agree with you about the possibility of a paper. If I ever go to college I'll remember and use this idea. Thanks! (Of course, I'm a stay-at-home mom who's been out of school for a decade now, but hey, who knows?)
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Cilla, from Johnny Tremain.
Leia, from Star Wars (stretching the definition of "Literature" a bit).
Anne, from Hand-Me-Down (thanks for the rec, OSC).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's Ender
Herbert's Paul Atreides and Duncan Idaho
GRRM's Jaime Lannister
Hobb's The Fool
Aragorn

i know i'm missing some.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
What about Catwoman? Grrrrr!

Ew. Never seen it. Never gonna. Catwoman and Elektra are two flicks that I don't intend to ever have abuse my eyes.

Though I have a lot of respect for Halle Berry actually showing up to receive her Razzie.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by foundling:
I second the Death and Morpheus crush,

Oh, right. Death. Mmm... Who'd have imagined Death being so hot?
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, okay...
Taliesin, from Stephen Lawhead's book of the same name.
Reuven Malter from The Chosen and The Promise, both by Chaim Potok.
Not a crush, exactly, but I do rather like Nirgal from the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson (but the best bit in the whole trilogy is Ann and Sax finally getting together right at the end of Blue Mars - and it's really funny reading it again with the knowledge that that happens).

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maria
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Maria   Email Maria         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young:
Tarzan (books not movies) &
Alaric Morgan, Deryni series

Now... I have to say that the more my husband looks like Gandalf the Grey, the better I like it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
Herbert's Paul Atreides and Duncan Idaho

Ooh, yes!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Paul, no way. Little fascist that he is. But Duncan... I can see that.
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Severus Snape, though my co-workers tell me it is really just Alan Rickman that I think is hot, I definately go for the angsty teacher thing.
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
F'lar never did anything for me, though I liked him. F'nor was more my speed. But Lars... *sigh* I always liked Sebelle too.

Kris from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar.Her stories aren't nearly as romantic as McCaffery's, though. Her best romances are between people who don't actually love each other that way, which is way weird.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMaia
Member # 9219

- posted      Profile for TheMaia   Email TheMaia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sita from the Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike!!!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered, the first book character I ever had a crush on was Juror #8 from 12 Angry Men. *sighs* He was so dreamy.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Who'd have imagined Death being so hot?

Perhaps he's death warmed over.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Catwoman and Elektra are two flicks that I don't intend to ever have abuse my eyes.

Well, the movie was pure dreck, but Catwoman was awfully hot, nonetheless.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Psylocke!
Devi from JTHM and I Feel Sick.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirrored Shades
Member # 8957

- posted      Profile for Mirrored Shades           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot F'lar! And F'nor. I liked them both. I haven't read those books in ages, but I definately remember liking F'lar, F'nor, and their father, whose name I can't remember and who was an awful lot like, well, F'lar and F'nor.

And as for Catwoman -- I can't remember any of the story except that Halle Berry and Benjamin Bratt were in it, and that there was a lot of leather, some motorcycles, and whips. And what more can you ask for in a movie?

Posts: 36 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Paul, no way. Little fascist that he is. But Duncan... I can see that.

See, the thing I find attractive about Paul is that he's a facist and has a god complex and is horribly arrogant.

My answers so far have been who I'd want to date, as opposed to who I think is hot. The hot list would be much longer, and much scarier. (I had a crush on Bill Sikes from the musical Oliver! for ages, for example)

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Who'd have imagined Death being so hot?

Perhaps he's death warmed over.
Um... "she", actually.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mirrored Shades:
Oh, I forgot F'lar! And F'nor. I liked them both. I haven't read those books in ages, but I definately remember liking F'lar, F'nor, and their father, whose name I can't remember and who was an awful lot like, well, F'lar and F'nor.

I don't know if it's because I first read the Pern books back around when the original Battlestar: Galactica was out, but I always see F'lar and F'nor in my head as played by the actors who played Apollo and Starbuck. Even though it's clear in the books that F'nor, at least, doesn't look even remotely like Starbuck did (and even less like the current Starbuck <grin>).

quote:
Originally posted by Mirrored Shades:
And as for Catwoman -- I can't remember any of the story except that Halle Berry and Benjamin Bratt were in it, and that there was a lot of leather, some motorcycles, and whips. And what more can you ask for in a movie?

Um... sounds interesting. But why'd they have to take a character who is actually fairly interesting and use her name for a movie that has nothing to do with her.

I put Catwoman and Elektra in the same category as Star Treks 5 and 10. They were never made.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
F'lar never did anything for me, though I liked him. F'nor was more my speed. I always liked Sebelle too.

Mmhmm! F'nor more than F'lar, definitely. But F'lessan more than either his dad or his uncle.

And Sebell more than any of them. And not just because I identified with Menolly.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Willard from the Betsy-Tacy books.

Oh and Gilbert Blythe but only when he's so sick.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.