FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ramen Noodles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ramen Noodles
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So people say that your favorite Beatle or Ninja Turtle says a lot about you. So i figure, the way you eat Ramen Noodles may say a lot about you too.

How do you prepare you Ramen?

I crush mine into little pieces in the bag, empty into bowl, add exactly enough water for it all to absorbed, microwave it until it all is absorbed, add two dallops of butter and seasoning. serve hot enought to burn you. i call this the perfect consistancy, soft and mushy enough that you don't need teeth and it can just slide down your throat.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen Noodles = Disgusting
Ramen Noodles = High Sodium Garbage
Ramen Noodles = Too cheap not to eat when poor.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Infrared
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Infrared   Email Infrared         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul & Don.

Ramen I prepare by following the directions (to a point). Often, frozen or fresh veggies go into the water before it boils. Kamaboko (little pink-edged white fishcake slices if you've ever had Japanese-style Ramen) or ham or BBQ pork (char-siu) make good flavor additions if you've got some extra minced or chopped in the fridge/freezer. Green onions are key as the finishing touch if you haven't added veggies.

When feeling lazy, two packages of noodles, boiled, one flavor pack (both is usually disgusting).

Posts: 37 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno what it is about ramen... what ingredient that vexes me... but I get terribly ill when I eat it =(
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's skip the ramen and have saimin instead.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I love ramen noodles!

I crush them into tiny pieces.
Put them in a bowl and fill to just higher than the noodles.
Microwave.
Add seasoning packet.
Add an ice cube or two.
Stir and eat.
Burn my tongue. Always.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen noodles are great ingredients in other dishes.

They're also good with ketchup and a dash of Worchestershire sauce.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this bring backs memories of high school (boarding school, no food accessible after 9:30pm). We all had hot water heaters and it was either ramen or Easy Mac.

I think I just dumped in the noodles and then the packet. Sigh, utterly uncreative. I'm such a bad cook, even my Ramen is boring.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ramen noodles have been my favorite food for as long as I can remember. I prepare them by boiling water, then putting the noodles in the water, then when the noodles are wonderfully soft I put them into a bowl with just enough water and add the sauce. I can NOT eat ramen noodles without cheese. American or cheddar it just makes it so much better. = D
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
In elementary school I used to crush it in the bag, mix in the flavoring, and eat it raw.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in High School and needed a quick snack before after school practice, I would break them up in the bag and just eat the noodles dry.

Edit to add: no seasoning Celaeno, that's pretty gross [Eek!]

[ March 02, 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by libertygirl:
I prepare them by boiling water, then putting the noodles in the water, then when the noodles are wonderfully soft I put them into a bowl with just enough water and add the sauce. I can NOT eat ramen noodles without cheese. American or cheddar it just makes it so much better. = D

I do this but instead of cheese, I eat it with an over-easy egg (runny yolk and all) that gets broken apart into the noodles. Sometimes I'll add veggies.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever stirfry them with the egg, Rusuena?

I don't eat ramen, but I do eat various flavors of Mama noodles, which are ramen[/i]ish[/i]. How I prepare them varies depending on my mood though.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just make it the normal way. But I don't like the cheap ramen but the good Japanese kind like Ichiban...
I don't bother to drink the broth. People in Japan would frown at me, but I do not care.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon - No, I haven't. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm int he mood for ramen.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate and I in college used to make this Ramen concoction all the time. We'd start by cooking the ramen with slighty less water than required. Then when it was about done, we'd add a can of mixed veggies and some microwaved hotdogs that were cut up into bite-sized pieces. Also added were a couple slices of cheese and a good mix of whatever spices we had laying around.

We made it up one night when we were too lazy to go out and the aforementioned ingredients were all that remained in the kitchen. Turned out so good that it became a regular thing at our place.

We used to experiment with food and cooking all the time. Too much Food Network maybe. We also made grilled cheese with an iron. I recommend having a can of butter spray handy so it doesn't stick to the iron. Oh, and make sure its empty of all the water... not that I would know anything about that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a can of mixed veggies
You ate canned mixed veggies? Why on earth? Didn't you have a freezer? [Eek!]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick ick ick!

So what does not even coming within 10 feet of ramen noodles say about me?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Either you're really picky, allergic to wheat, or you've never had them made right?

There are lots of things you can do with them; I usually avoid the seasoning packets.

signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
a can of mixed veggies
You ate canned mixed veggies? Why on earth? Didn't you have a freezer? [Eek!]
Or maybe they were frozen? [Dont Know] I don't remember. The point was that they were mixed veggies. It's not like we were broke or anything. We both had jobs and lived rather well for students. I guess it was the novelty of making it. Besides, that was quite a step for me. At the time, my motto for food was basically, "It can't be good unless its fried. And if its fried, it must be good." Haha. Mind you my eating habits have changed quite a bit since then, and for the better I might add.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I start of with Shin Ramen and Gochujang. I cook the ramen with too little water. I cook two bags with a can of tuna, an egg, green onions, and kimchi. When it is done I add a few drops of seasame oil, some more kimchi, and I put it into a large bowl with shredded cheese on the bottom.

I then add a big tablespoon of gochujang and mix it all together. mmmmm...spicy warm goodness. I think I will make some tonight!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually boil the noodles, drain the water and add like 1/5 of the seasoning. Good stuff! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dunno what it is about ramen... what ingredient that vexes me... but I get terribly ill when I eat it =(
Probably monosodium glutamate
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I eat ramen a couple times a week. I'll start by mincing some garlic and sticking it on a skillet with some oil, then I'll cook the ramen, strain it and add it to the skillet. Add some frozen corn and whatever other frozen veggies I've got and some cut mushrooms then I'll add a little tamari or shoyu. Sometimes I put a half a teaspoon of chili paste in the mix. It tastes pretty good and doesn't take much time at all.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I make 2 or 3 packets at a time with about half the total amount of water it calls for - I eyeball this. Serve out for the kids, then add 2 or 3 raw beaten eggs to what's left in the pot and mix those in well, and continue to cook it till the eggs are cooked through. I don't bother with veggies or other meats or extra seasonings. Oh, and always chicken ramen, never beef or any other variety.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
They are great crushed up and roasted in an oriental cabbage salad that I make.

If I bother to have "normal" ramen, I stir an egg into the simmering broth.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that I don't like ramen - I really do. [Embarrassed] I just never seem to buy it...I don't know why.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't eaten ramen in years, but it was a staple when I was in college. My boyfriend at the time thought it was disgusting, but I didn't care--I liked it! And I'm sorry, but someone who eats "potted meat product" (or something like that) on bread doesn't have a whole lot of room to call my ramen noodles disgusting, IMHO! [Taunt]

I would make it just plain w/ half a seasoning packet, or sometimes used the simmering egg and/or frozen veggies methods mentioned.

And it IS great as a crunchy item in the salads a couple of you described. As a matter of fact, I think I might have to go buy myself a couple packages of the stuff!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I cook it for exactly 2 minutes, not a second longer. Then I drain away the boiling water and add the seasoning packet (Chicken is my flavor of choice). Yummy! Once in a while I add a mixed-up egg at the end and keep the broth -- instant egg drop soup!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Anybody else have ramen for dinner as a result of this thread?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ABOUT to have ramen for dinner as a result of this thread, I think...

When I make ramen, I crush it up into little pieces inside the bag, dump it out, add just enough water, microwave, drain, and then sprinkle lightly with the seasoning packet.

Sometimes I add soy sauce.

Worchestershire sounds good!

Hmmm...maybe I'll have this "Asian garlic chicken noodle" concoction...it looks like high-class ramen to me.

I just need to add some butter...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

...or diced avocado.
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh I second Celaeno's raw saimin. But after you reach a certain age it kind of loses its appeal.

Now, I eat just the noodles (no soup!) with eggs and lots of Tabasco or chili water. Those little packets are gross!

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who eats it as a soup? "Oriental" or "vegetable" flavoured, enough water to make it soupy, boiled till they're soft, eaten before the noodles soak up all the water and go mushy and gross.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Anybody else have ramen for dinner as a result of this thread?

They're finishing cooking (the eggs need to set) now.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Am I the only one who eats it as a soup?

Now what does that say about you? And what on earth does how I eat my noodles say about me? I am dry and spicy?
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I only eat ramen when part of cabbage salad:

1 head of cabbage thinly sliced (or a bag of coleslaw mix)
2 pkgs crushed ramen noodles
4 cooked chicken tenders
green onions

optional:
sesame seeds (toasted)
almond slivers (toasted)
shredded carrots
bell pepper

Dressing:
vinegar (white wine vinegar is the best)
oil
sugar
soy sauce
ramen flavoring packets
pepper
nutmeg

Best if it sits overnight.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Over at the Shvester house, we've been feeling a little poor, lately. We've been eating lots of brown rice and beans, cornmeal mush (polenta) and beans, pasta and beans, with just enough veggies to keep everything healthy.

So far, we have escaped the Ramen dinners. I don't look forward to serving that up to my family and telling them that it is a nutritious food.

I think I may just be an anti-Ramenite.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tante, you should check out the link I posted. There's some really cool stuff you can do with ramen.
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Are ramen and saimin actualy two different things? I tend to use the two words interchangably, but then again I am no cullinary expert.

I like my noodles uncrushed with the whole packet of seasoning added once the noodles have finished cooking.

On a related note, what utensil do you use to eat your ramen/saimin? I generaly use a fork; with a spoon I find the noodles tend to fall off halfway between the bowl and my face.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to eat ramen a lot when I was away at college, but I've never really had a desire to try it since then, and I cringe whenever I look at the sodium content in it. However, a while back I bought some Thai noodles that were in a pack a lot like ramen, and they were really good. I like rice noodles a lot more than I do ramen.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
On a related note, what utensil do you use to eat your ramen/saimin? I generaly use a fork; with a spoon I find the noodles tend to fall off halfway between the bowl and my face.
...chopsticks. What else?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

I think I may just be an anti-Ramenite.

Tante, you haven't been reading the Book of Mormon, have you? That totally sounds like a Book of Mormon term, LOL! (in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, there are groups of people called Nephites, Lamanites, "and all manner of ites"--yes, that last part is a direct quote--and one group of converted Lamanites gave themselves the name "anti-Nephi-Lehies")
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Tante, you haven't been reading the Book of Mormon, have you?

Not yet.
quote:
"and all manner of ites"
I like that term! Maybe I'm a termite.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't eat Ramen noodles, but I knew I had reached the true "Back Country" when I heard the following on the radio..."IGA is have'n a sale on Raymond Noodles"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Not yet.

O_o

Do you need three days to think it over?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by Celaeno:
In elementary school I used to crush it in the bag, mix in the flavoring, and eat it raw.

Heck yeah!

quote:
Posted by Friday:
Are ramen and saimin actualy two different things? I tend to use the two words interchangably, but then again I am no cullinary expert.

When I think ramen, I think 12.5 cents a pack. When I think saimin, I think restaurant style. Preferably with shoyu and hot mustard.

For ramen, I like S&S brand. The noodles are thicker and chewier, and it makes a broth about 80 times better. I guess they only sell it in Hawai'i, though, because even google search only turns up a few articles that mention it in passing.

On a side note, I feel like I should plug Asian soup spoons. They hold more than regular spoons, and the angled handle makes it easier to get that last bit o' broth out of the bowl. If they made spork varieties, I would use no other utensil.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my Pastaroni Asian Garlic Chicken Noodles, also known as high-class ramen, came out quite nicely with eggs and teryaki sauce.

Also, I don't think I followed the directions at all.

But really, isn't that the true life purpose of ramen? Surely, the Lord hath placed it upon this earth so that college students may make use of its infinite versatility.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

RRR, I prefer rice noodles as well (although my absolute favorite is bean thread noodles). Those Thai Kitchen varieties are hidiously overpriced though. Go to a local Asian grocery store and get some rice noodle based instant soups there, that's my advice. Among my favorites are:

Rice Vermicelli:
Clear Soup (second row, first packet)

Normal-sized Rice Noodles:
Beef Pho, Chicken Pho, and Clear Soup (ie everything on the top row of this page)
Instant Pad Thai (this is what I actually had for dinner last night)

Bean Thread Noodles:
Clear Soup

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like instant noodles. Like Chef Woo.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.