FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Instruments? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Instruments?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
A) I am Republican
B) I do listen to NPR
C) I do listen to Praire Home Companion
D) I don't consider NPR general "radio" -- I consider it "NPR"

Wow, Porter, we have 3 out of 4 in common!

Also, I can't stand listening to the Country station, either.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante -- you consider it general radio?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
So Tante, does that mean you are not a republican? [Big Grin]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
When did my thread become politics? [Frown]
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, they had Del McCoury on A Prairie Home Companion last night.

Tante, I can point you to some awesome Internet radio that has tons of blugrass and old time music.

Porter, how did you like Bubba George?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Jeesh, music has always been political.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tante, here are a few sites. Also, CMT has a wonderful video program that is more American. I cannot remember the name of the program, but there are great bands like Old Crow Medicine Show, Buddy Miller, and others. More Americana/Alt country than country.

http://radio.surberstation.com/podcast.html

A streaming source-he has not changed the shows in a while:

http://funkyside.com/funkysidelive.cfm

Some great music.

www.howlingradio.com

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When did my thread become politics? [Frown]
When did mentioning politics become taboo?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
When the 2004 election ended. [Smile]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- is NOT a Republican.

Oh, I listen to banjo bluegrass on the internet. I've got Pandora set to my favorite "Dueling Banjos" station right now! But mostly I listen to the radio when I am driving in my Shvestermobile, which is fully loaded with both AM and FM! (It also has power everything, if by "everything" you mean steering and brakes.) But there are no banjo stations broadcasting (that I can find) in the middle of New Jersey.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Thanks for the linkys, Elizabeth!

<tapping toes!>

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Tante, it just so happens that one of the best banjo players around is from New Jersey.

Have you heard of Railroad Earth?

http://www.railroadearth.com/high_band/the_band/

They are not really bluegrass, but bluegrass-based, I guess.Bluegrass-rock?

Also, the Duhks
http://www.duhks.com/

And The Mammals
http://www.themammals.net/

Sometimes, the Duhks and The mammals ply together as Platypus. hee hee. (really)

Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:

When did mentioning politics become taboo? [/QUOTE]

It's not Taboo, but suddenly people are accused of being Republican.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jade Peat
Member # 9230

- posted      Profile for Jade Peat   Email Jade Peat         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play violin. Had 4 years of that. I intend to pick it up again this year! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeesh:
quote:

When did mentioning politics become taboo?
It's not Taboo, but suddenly people are accused of being Republican. [/QUOTE]

Only a republican would say that. ADMIT IT!!!!!!

(irony, gentle reader.)

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[ROFL] Don't look at me! I backed off politics when Bush became a retard.

No offense.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

None taken.

Retard.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I play guitar and bass and a little bit of drums and piano (piano is fairly easy since I know scales- just don't expect me to start busting out piano concertos or anything).
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Retard.

Me?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Would it bother you if I called you a retard?
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Not really, I've been called a retard too many times for it to bother me anymore. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing the piano for about 20 years, and the guitar for just shy of nine. I also played the trombone for six years, but haven't played it in about that long.

I still harbour secret dreams of rock stardom. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My secret dream is for our future family band to be good enough that people ask us to play and will even give us gas money to do so.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Like The Partridge Family?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good, tangible goal. [Smile]

When I start working earnestly on my next album, I'm planning to look into what it would take to get it distributed via iTMS. The 2005 Canadian indie rock explosion has been heartening in this respect.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Like The Partridge Family?

I don't know. I've never seen that show.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Porter, you'd be in trouble, as there was no dad in The Partridge family.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't like that idea.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No.
Plus, your kids would have to wear really goofy 70's clothes.
Oh, wait. Kids DO wear goofy 70's clothese these days!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Come on along there's a song that we're singing, to make you happeeeeee! A whole lot of lovin' is what we'll be bringin', to make you happeeeeee!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ah, Tante, that Friday night line-up!

These young whippersnappers know not what they missed!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here's some bluegrass for you.

http://www.greyfoxbluegrass.com/gf_artists.cfm

Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I play violin and a bit of piano.

I'm going to add singing because it is TOO an instrument! [Wink]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm...I'm a band director, hence the screen name, so no, I don't play any instruments.

Actually, I consider it shameful if there is an instrument in my band that I CAN'T play - and right now, that list includes oboe, bassoon, tuba, and to a lesser extent, horn.

However, I'm reasonably competent on trombone and clarinet, good at percussion and trumpet, and can play the trumpet pretty darn well, if I may say so. But my primary instrument is the flute. Why? Because it rhymes with woot! of course.

(Nevermind that woot didn't exist as a word until well after I started to play the flute.)

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Bando, with a good student bassoon, a soft reed and a long weekend I (or you) could fix the bassoon part of your list. It dosen't take the physical prowess that the oboe or tuba take. The problem is most music teachers take the double reed pedegogy class with no one to find them a good soft reed. So, they are scared of it. It's just a conical whistle, so it overblows at an octive and a fifth just like a clarinet does. It has an older fingering system (pre-bohem) so there are a few forks in the higher regester. But, its really close to the same.

[ March 08, 2006, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Artemisia Tridentata ]

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
MORE for Bando
When I left the Air Force Band, the guy they had hired (recruited) to take my place couldn't even put a bassoon together. He was a fine jazz sax guy. (And the war was all but over.) That was why they wanted him. I put the thing together for him, and gave him a 45 minute lesson. He went in and passed the audition.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

When you join the Air Force Band, how many instruments do you have to audition with?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

It depends on the opening. Bassoon and oboe usually stand alone because they are harder to find. Clarinet might be tested on Sax too. And If you can play in several styles of group, ie rock (guitar)or country it is surely a plus. I'm not sure about brass. But, everyone had to have an instrument that they could play for a marching band. The oboe guy got by with a pair of cymbals. I played sax on the march. But, I didn't want to play in a big band and have to work in the afternoon. So, I generally left off the sharps and flats whenever anyone was listening to my sax. It didn't work. I ended up as the libriarian and had to work afternoons anyway.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Getting a SOUND on bassoon isn't the problem. I get a great sound and play well in tune with good vibrato. It's that, well, I'm NOT all thumbs, which is what you have to be to play bassoon, apparently. There are, what, six keys for the left hand thumb, and four for the right? Crazy.

In other words, I just need more practice at the bassoon, particularly as it relates to fingerings, learning scales, etc. In truth, the bassoon should have gone onto my "reasonably competent" list. Oboe might join it, if I had a better beginner reed, since the fingerings are so similar to my primary.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

Yeah, the only instruments (besides what I play now) that I plan to learn are the clarinet, percussion, and maybe oboe.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.