FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Muppet trivia of the day: (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Muppet trivia of the day:
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Today's trivia:

On the very briefly lived Muppets Tonight! series of the late 90s, who was the host?

(Hint: It wasn't Kermit. Man...Muppets Tonight! was such a clumsy, unfunny show. Classic Muppet writers like Jerry Juhl weren't involved, new characters that lacked charm and chemistry were heavily featured, the guest stars dominated the shows instead of acting as guests...*sigh*)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cosmictheclown
Member # 8257

- posted      Profile for cosmictheclown   Email cosmictheclown         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! Pick me!

It was that big purple guy with the red Rastafarian locks. I think his name's Clifford. Rizzo the rat was his cohost/cohort too, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Rizzo the rat, now that is something I haven't thought of in ages... [Smile]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the good Sesame Street, though I think Maria was with Luis by the time I was born (I'll have to look that up) one of my elementary school teachers taped a ton of episodes soon after she got a VCR, so we watched them a lot. (not that I remember when VCR's came out).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:

I think my favorite was when Ernie kept trying to think of things to count in order to fall asleep that wouldn't wake up Bert. I laugh just thinking about that.

1 fire engine (clang clang bee boo bee boo...)
2 fire engines (clang clang bee boo bee boo...)
3 fire engines (clang clang bee boo bee boo...)

[ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Correct. Clifford was originally created to play the guitar on Solid Foam, MuppeTelevision's in-house band. For some reason, he was chosen to be the host of Muppets Tonight...the show that also introduced *shudder* Pepe', the King Prawn Who Is Crammed Down Your Throat Over and Over Again In Every Muppet Project Since 1996. [Eek!]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's question:

According to The Muppets Take Manhattan, what is Brooke Shields' opinion on inter-species dating?

(Bonus: What was the context this was revealed in?)

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't she make some reference to having dated some rats?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeoJ
Member # 9272

- posted      Profile for LeoJ   Email LeoJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to like Muppets when i was a kid, but now i think that big bird is a homosexual, and the count a q-nt, well not how they act but how they look
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JLM:
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:

I think my favorite was when Ernie kept trying to think of things to count in order to fall asleep that wouldn't wake up Bert. I laugh just thinking about that.

1 fire engine (clang clang bee boo bee boo...)
2 fire engines (clang clang bee boo bee boo...)
3 fire engines (clang clang bee boo bee boo...)

[ROFL] [ROFL]

[Laugh] I know! My favorite is Bert's screaming reaction to the balloon popping. It's so choice!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
Didn't she make some reference to having dated some rats?

Yes.

Muppet Rat: (panting) "Pardon me...but could you tell me your opinion *gulp* on...er...inter-species dating?"

Brooke Shields: "Well, I have dated a few rats before, if that's what you mean."

(The rat swoons.)

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

New trivia question:

Muppet Babies was a spin-off of a very popular segment in The Muppets Take Manhattan, in which Miss Piggy fantasized that she and Kermit had known each other as toddlers. It began in 1984, and for the next seven years was one of the most popular shows on CBS' Saturday Morning Line-Up.

CBS requested that Jim Henson make a spin-off of the spin-off, and in 1985 Little Muppet Monsters began showing immediately after Muppet Babies. This show featured a trio of brand new, live action monster Muppet kids who lived in a basement of the adult Muppets' home. 18 episodes were made, yet only two episodes were ever broadcast.

What was the reason?

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched Muppet Babies. The concept seemed way too annoyingly, calculatedly, cute. Was it actually any good?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I liked it.

I was eight years old at the time, though.

It should be noted that I do recall more often than not much fun was poked at how cute the characters were...especially after Bean Bunny was added as a Muppet Baby.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Answer: Jim Henson himself decided to cancel the show, as he felt it did not match the high standards he set for his projects for children.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's question:

Why does Bert state tell Ernie that it's "no big deal" that the pigeon Bernice knows how to play Checkers?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Muppet Babies, I still get the theme song to that show stuck in my head every now and then.

I like that Bunsen and Beaker were prominant characters.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunsen and Beaker lived next door, and they came to visit, but I don't think they were in every episode.

I *loved* muppet babies when I was growing up. I'm so sad that they don't run them anymore as reruns.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I liked Muppet Babies a lot, but I'll admit I was a bit freaked by the episodes where Baby Robin visited. It raised so many questions about Baby Kermit. [Eek!]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Answer-

In Bert's own words: "Out of the five games we've played, she's only beaten me twice."

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is making me so happy! I love reminiscing about what a good show these all were. Keep them coming Puffy!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

During the first season of "Saturday Night Live" (way back in 1975), Jim Henson's Muppets were regulars on the show. Not the bunch seen on any other projects or skits...but a decidedly adult, bizarre bunch of Muppets who haven't been seen since.

The human SNL performers (with the possible exception of Gilda Rander and Chevy Chase) were infamous for -hating- the Muppets. In fact, after Jim Henson returned from taping the pilot episodes of The Muppet Show over the the UK halfway through the season, what had been done to the Muppet sets? And when did he find out?

(This is a rather obscure question, so I'll give a bonus.)

Bonus question:

Who is Oscar the Grouch's best human friend? (Though he'd never admit it.)

[ March 27, 2006, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Answer:

Henson returned to find out that all the sets for the SNL Muppet skits had been scrapped, and subsequently the SNL Muppet characters were fired on the air. Ouch.

Bonus Answer: Maria.

[ March 27, 2006, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit. I knew the Maria one.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's question:

This was Jim Henson's favorite song. It was used on The Muppet Show, put on one of Rowlf the Dog's records, and was even sung at his memorial service.

What was the song?

plaid
Member # 2393

Ah! I think I know this one -- "Turn the World Around," which was sung by Harry Belafonte on the show and at Henson's memorial service.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Henson returned to find out that all the sets for the SNL Muppet skits had been scrapped, and subsequently the SNL Muppet characters were fired on the air. Ouch.

Huh, by "fired on the air," do you mean that it was actually announced that they'd no longer be appearing? (Like how Andy Kaufman was voted off SNL?)

By the way, I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks!!

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Close. Very close. That was one of Henson's favorite songs, but it's not the song I'm referring to.

Hint: It was also sung by Groucho Marx, in one of the Marx Brothers films.

plaid
Member # 2393

Ummm... "Hello, I Must Be Going"? (Only Marx Bros. song I can remember.)
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Let's just say the remainder of the SNL Muppet skits that season (they still had a contract to fulfill) became increasingly short, grim, yet strangely funny.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

plaid: Oooh, getting colder. [Wink]
plaid
Member # 2393

Ack. [Grumble]

Have you seen the SNL skits? Are they out on DVD?

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

No, but most of the SNL Muppet sketches can be viewed at the Museum of Televsion and Radio
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
Wait a minute, they made Snuffy visible to everyone? Did they move Oscar into a penthouse, too? Sesame Street is dead to me now.

Snuffy was made visible to everyone years ago as a teaching lesson for parents. Sesame Street was trying to teach parents that if a child tells you the same story over and over again (like someone touching them inappropriatly) they are probably telling the truth and should be treated that way.

Snuffy was made visible in the early 80s (I know because I was still young enough to be watching the show at that time), I'm surprise so many people were so shocked by that.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
see this is what happens when you respond without reading the whole thread first. you end up repeating what others have already said.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I am loving this thread. Thanks, Puffy Treat.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Bauer
Member # 9182

- posted      Profile for Jack Bauer   Email Jack Bauer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I have the Rowlf the Dog album with "Lydia The Tattood Lady" on it, but had no idea it was sung at Henson's funeral.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeoJ
Member # 9272

- posted      Profile for LeoJ   Email LeoJ         Edit/Delete Post 
The mahna mahna song!!!!
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Rainbow Connection.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Jack Bauer is correct!

"Lydia" was sung at Jim Henson's memorial service, following his request.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's questions:

1) Unlike most of the Muppet projects aimed at children, Jim Henson had a definite ending in mind for Fraggle Rock. The last episodes featured all of the conflicts introduced in the first season being gradually resolved. What was the final conflict resolved, leading to a state of peace and happiness for all the characters?

2) What did Gonzo really want to try during the opening credit sequence of The Great Muppet Caper? And what was Kermit's rather dry reply?

3) Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas featured all of the following songs -except- A) The Underwear That Your Grandma Otter Wore B) We're Closer Now Than Ever Before C) It Feels Like Christmas D) Brothers E) Riverbottom Nightmare Band

4) Prairie Dawn, the intelligent and calm little girl Muppet on Sesame Street is eternally what age?

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
1) Darn, I should know this.

2) I _really_ should know this... Muppet Caper was my favorite muppet movie as a kid... EDIT: I did sort of know what Gonzo wanted, but I had forgotten the awesome reply by Kermit. Yay internet [Smile]

3) Pretty sure it's D)

5) 4?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

If you know what they said, share! [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

1) Doc discovered the existence of the Fraggles. Even though he was moving to a new home, the magic of Fraggle Rock allowed him to keep in touch with his new friends...no more need for them to sneak around and hide.

2) Gonzo: "I'd like to try this without the balloon!"

Kermit: "Try what, plummeting?"

Gonzo: "Yeah!"

Kermit: "Well, I suppose you could try it once."

3) C- "It Feels Like Christmas" is a song from Muppet Christmas Carol.

4) Prairie is a (very mature) age 9.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Today's question:

Rowlf the Dog has been pretty much a musical number/secondary character since the mid-70s, but he originally starred as the sole Muppet on another show. Name the show.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know....

"Rowlf the Dog's very own show"

no?

how about,

"David Letterman's not so stupid Pet Tricks?"

no?

I remember now.

"Seinfeld"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

The Jimmy Dean Show

(Which I'd never heard of, only know because I read about in a Muppet book...)

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

plaid is correct!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I could have sworn he was the wacky neighbor in Sienfeld.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Correct. Clifford was originally created to play the guitar on Solid Foam, MuppeTelevision's in-house band. For some reason, he was chosen to be the host of Muppets Tonight...the show that also introduced *shudder* Pepe', the King Prawn Who Is Crammed Down Your Throat Over and Over Again In Every Muppet Project Since 1996. [Eek!]

Hey! I like Pepe'. Of the new muppets he is definitly the best. After all, he did save the muppet theatre from Ms. Bitterman.
"Great news, everybody! Unless you happen to be an evil, sexy banker lady, then it SUCKS, okaaay"

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.