FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "I told you so!" lol, an anetdot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "I told you so!" lol, an anetdot
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, its a long story and I'll try to be quick.

There is this girl that a friend of mine liked, she lived in Toronto, he lives in west island, and went to see her.

However, she never recipricated the feelings he had for her and one day she firmly told him no. I don't know the exact words but it emotially crushed my friend.

And he spent alot fo time moping around, getting depressed, dragging me and other friends along with him as we all tried our best to cheer him up but he wasn't cheering up, he was probly playing games even more.

Then...

He found this girl on World of Warcraft who lives in Chicago. They exchanged pictures, talked some, found soem chemistry with each other and then she dumped her boyfriend for my friend because her old boyfriend wasn't appreciating her or something along those lines, (her boyfriend was also in WoW and say all this happen lol).

And she also wants to meet my friend and I suspect some bam chuka bam wam will go on.

So thus at every oppurtunity I get, whenever he doesn't suspect it.

I have said and will continue to say:

"I told you so"

why? Because I told him he would find someone better and appreciates him, and look at him now, he found a gamer chick.

I told you so.

[ March 12, 2006, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Christ.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Misplaced blog or journal entry?
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

TL: All I can say is: "?"

Swamp jedi: Hatrack is my blog and i don't know how to use a blog. Blogs are scary.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"and then she dumped her girlfriend for my friend because her old boyfriend wasn't appreciating her"

I'm confused. Did she dump her girlfriend or boyfriend? Or both?

edit: "Hatrack is my blog"

That could be a problem.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

boyfriend, crazy typos.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Eek, Blayne. That's [your claim that Hatrack is your blog] a bit to posessive for me.

Gosh, starLisa was right, even if she was harsh about it. At least I think is was starLisa.

Edited for clarity.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
anetdot=anecdote?

On a more serious note...don't you find it a bit odd that a girl would dump her boyfriend for someone she met on WoW.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, seriously. Most of us just don't care about a lot of this stuff. Hatrack is NOT a blog. If you MUST post random things like this, at least confine it to one thread, ok?

You can get a blog for free, you know.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty please, Blayne, consider it. Hey, link us to the blog and maybe we'll read it when we're in the mood for blog reading. When we come to Hatrack, however, oftentimes we don't really want to read random blogs.

Plus, in your very own blog you can misspell words as often as you like and SAY whatever you like and you won't get poked fun at. Anetdot. *snort*

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you guys are being a bit biased here. This was a simple post, and a funny story. Yes, it did have some spelling/grammar mistakes, but I think you guys are doing this just because it is Blayne. Were Tante, or KetchupQ to do this would you have reacted in the same way? My bet is no, and that you would have laughed at the story, and said Hatrack being their blog is fine.

Just my humble opinion. Try to be a bit more respectful. [Smile]

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Were Tante, or KetchupQ to do this would you have reacted in the same way?
Well, I AM the most beloved of all Hatrackers. [Evil]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Put me down for a "Get a blog" vote, although I have to admit that I'm impressed by Ret's perceptiveness.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Hatrack is my blog

I agree, if he hadn't said that I wouldn't be making any comments. I'd have the same reaction if anyone said it and showed signs of meaning it.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Reticulum: The only reason I said anything is because Blayne has said that he will try to improve, and fit in better in the forum. How is he to know what fits and what doesn't if we don't tell him?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

That is my point, were Tante to say that, would you have said the smae thing? I think it would have gone something like this:

"Tante, I am honored that you trust and respect us so much, as to tell us about your personal life. Thank you."

I really think you guys are being unfair.

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I agree with the response to this thread. That was one of the bloggeist topics to a thread i have ever seen. Most bloggier threads arent bloggs because they end with a question or statement that is an actual topic starter. This didn't it was just an anecdote and nothing more.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I would have said nothing, actually. Don't put words in my mouth.

Ni!

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, Reticulum. However, if Tante started posting things like this all the time, people would react much in the same way as they are reacting to Blayne now. The issue is not so much the person as that this particular person has shown a remarkable unwillingness to attempt to respond to the suggestions given by other members. He posts inane things like this over and over and over and over.

One bloggy-ish post isn't the issue. When it happens all the time, and the person even admits that "Hatrack is my blog", then it becomes a problem. Aside from Blayne trying to draw attention to himself, this thread provides absolutely no basis for discussion (as is the case with most of the topics he starts).

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Well, Mr. Funny, that was the most unfunny post I have ever read. [Wink] Though I must say you are right. I must say you are correct in every aspect. Thank you for youe input. [Smile] What you said, WOULD most likely happen.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I tell Hatrack about a lot of things that happen to me and my family on a regular basis....but ANYONE claiming it is their own personal blog is off base.

If I made that comment I would not be suprised if most of Hatrack wondered why. [Big Grin]

Blogs are personal spaces maintained by (and for) one user for the purpose of venting and/or sharing things that matter to them. Hatrack can, at times, resemble one, but for the most part it is more like a group of people discussing many different topics all at once.

Blayne, a blog WOULD be more appropreate, to be honest.

I know all of this stuff matters grealy to you, but to most of us really just don't care. We don't care because ever day it is more of the same. We don't need, or want, a blow by blow of every day because it dilutes the overall concern about your posts. Even if we were to help solve some of these issues we know you would be abck with 10 more in the next week.

Look back and notice that I have not joined in on slamming you in other posts, but someone needs to clarify this for you....

The biggest reason so many people on Hatrack dislike these type of topics from you is that we are starting to feel like it is your blog as well, and we were here long before you were, so we resent you treating it like you own private blogging grounds. [Big Grin]

On another note, Tante has shared some things with us, some of them very personal, but she contributes in many other ways, investing both time and effort into other peoples threads as well, so it more than balances out IMO.

Even if I do wonder at times if she is a bot. [Wink]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and I suspect some bam chuka bam wam will go on.
I don't know why, exactly, but I find this euphemism more offensive than if he'd just said the "f" word. [Dont Know]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was being humorfull. And the thread isn't about ME its about a friend sheesh.

So, does any of you have any similar stories that any of would like to share?

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, my advice would be to go here , to follow the steps and create a LJ.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

bookmarked hmwk to do this mornin' folks.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how I got dragged in to this discussion, and why it is set up as Tante vs. Blayne. I have affection for Blayne, and although we have very different styles, he does too contribute to the discussions on Hatrack. Who do you think is the main apologist for Communist China? Who do you think keeps us updated on the dismal state of EA Games? Blayne, that's who. And, like I said, we have different styles, and different interests, too, apparently, since I don't really care to discuss video games or Communist China. But I can not agree that Blayne only posts here to talk about himself.

I didn't find this thread to be offensive or out of line until it started being a dogpile on Blayne. He wanted to share a sweet story about how even the nerdiest among us can find love and romance. This is a nice and positive message. The way you are all hanging him out to dry over it is turning my stomach.

"Hatrack is my blog" was indeed an unfortunate statement. It made me wince, too. I suspect that Blayne would be more likely to recant and reconsider that sentiment if it were politely pointed out to him that Hatrack is not intended to be anyone's blog.

Some of us have developed a nasty habit of kicking Blayne. And maybe you think that the bullying is OK because "everyone" is doing it, or because Blayne always takes the abuse with poise and maturity. But I do not think that it is OK.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I kinda already said "Hatrack is my blog" was meant jokingly.

THERE! That's the word I was looking for! woot.

Lol, I find it funny that 1603 posts can all be attributed to either subject. ^-^

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
There really seems to be no point in attempting to help Blayne fit in at Hatrack. I think this is because Blayne has yet to understand what Hatrack really is to most of us.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,

I'm curious about your friend and this woman. Are they going to meet? How are they arranging a safe meeting process? Have they talked on the phone yet?

Are you cautioning your friend at all?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I hope you didn't take my intervention as bullying, because it was not my intention... I just meant to tell him that he could create a blog and bring hatrackers to read it instead of proclaiming Hatrack is his blog.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yes indeed, she wants to meet him for a few days, but unfortunately until he gets his own place he won't get much privacy. They have talked on the phone per se they talked over Teamspeak, phones are obsolete.

And no I am NOT cautioning him I'm encouraging him, because he was nearly suicidal(sp?) a month ago, I prefer he gets to have some happiness in his life and I am not going to be the one to deny him that over the "possibility" that this might turn out badly.

Any relationship is a gamble, some work some don't, I'm putting my money that it works or at least breaks even.

Let the dice fly high!

Apostle I've been around since 2004, 2 whole years I think I fit right in.

PS: I cautioned him against going all Anakin Skywalker like with the first girl, he didn't listen and it turned out badly, I'm not risking it again.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the thread isn't about ME its about a friend sheesh.
No when not a single one of the 9200 registered members but you knows the person you're talking about. This, as most of your threads are, is strictly about you.

I'd have the same reaction if someone else started this thread. The only difference would be if it were someone else I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt. You're way past that stage. You know that you're gonna get a response like this, yet you continue to start 2-4 self centered threads a week.

ps - Just because you've been here for two years doesn't mean you fit in.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay, so in HOW many threads have been started on the exact same premise: person A talking about person B and the vast majority not knowing the person discussed yet still did not offer critisism of bloginess of any kind? I can think of 5.
Theaca
Member # 8325

It's the frequency of occurrence that people are complaining about. Think of it like the kid who cried wolf. Use these posts sparingly and you won't hear complaints.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...what are the "rules" for meeting someone face-to-face under these circumstances.

Re: teamspeak and phones being obsolete...thanks for making me feel more of a codger than I already did. Although, in my defense, I have used Skype and was thinking more in the generic sense of "have they communicated in any other way besides typing words into a text-based medium?"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yes, talking voice to voice. As for face to face I think my friend has a webcam.

Well as for the rules well.... he hasn't exactly told me anything of substance other than "I can't have her come to my grandmother's", and was wondering if a friend of ours was planning on an apartment soonish.

Which is why I had the euphanism before, from what he told me, she's... very open. I don't think I should say more on whats she's like I've never met/spoke to her so I really can't say more then the second hand info I currently possess.

Tell you what man, come visit "novasearch.net" sometime on ts, password I'll provide via email if your interested.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Your friend is going to be mugged and left for dead by a 43-year-old man dressed like Peter Pan.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Only after I get him to leave a will leaving me his Chair and his computer...

WAIT!

YES!

He said "get my Rach and you'll get my chair" yes! He found someone better so he has to give me his chair when he dies yes! Btw, I hate my current chair.

Btw, this is somewhat in jest.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you just had a red Swingline stapler moment.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
A Swingline product was featured in the 1999 cult-classic film Office Space wherein one employee complains repeatedly that his red Swingline stapler was stolen. At the time, Swingline had no red staplers, but in 2004 they released a limited edition series as a result of customer interest.
??? someone call the joke translator.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Someone's gotta take up that banner.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Stop the Madness... [Frown]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Blayne, you're killing me, honestly. It wouldn't matter if you had been around from the days when this board didn't exist, you still aren't fitting in. Time has nothing to do with it.

Don't you think that if you fit in people wouldn't constantly criticize the existence of every thread you create? Give me a break.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And they're an equal amount of people who defend me, the personal opinions of 3-5 people does not determine who is "in" and who is "out" or is there a committee on "UnHatracker" Behavior that I have to go infront of to prove otherwise?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you're spamming the board. Stop starting a thread every fifteen minutes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Blayne, I don't really feel like getting into an argument over how many people like you vs how many people are annoyed by you for two reasons. 1) Neither one of us have a real idea of what those numbers would be and 2) popularity contests are for children.

The fact of the matter is that many, if not most, of your threads start or end with a number (more than 3 or 5) of board members giving you advice on how you can better meet the general standards of what a thread should be. Despite these efforts, you constantly ignore these people and their advice. This leads to more threads where you receive the same advice over again.

I can't find a version of reality where that scenario equals "fitting in".

--ApostleRadio

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

that is just stupid, I could name several threads where no one gave advice on my posting style. Obviously not "every thread" just the ones that annoy the same people and this is indeed off topic.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
And consider this Blayne, for every person trying to help you, there are at least five of us who are annoyed with you, but who do not post anything.

Instead of staying silent like I usually do, I will try to give you some advice.

1) Keep all blog-like posts to one thread. Others have suggested it, and it would be really easy to do. Call it something like "Blayne Bradley's Blog" and just modify the title every time you update it. So for instance, this would be your thread title: "Blayne Bradley's Blog! (Updated: 03/20/06)".

I don't dislike you, and I often do read what you have to say, but having six of your threads on the first page is UNACCEPTABLE to me. Really, it is.

2) If you feel the need to make a thread, and you already have a couple threads on the first page, DON'T. We have thousands, yes THOUSANDS of posters on hatrack. You do not deserve, nor should you want, to take up over twenty percent of hatrack's thread real-estate.

3) Start listening to other's advice. Just because others are defending you, it does not mean you are fitting in just fine here. You are not. Hatrack is a very welcoming place for the most part, and we are generally very nice people. For so many to speak up and try and curb your posting means that there...is...a...problem.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And how many threads have I made that are blog like in my grand total?

Currently I'm annoyed because a perfectly reasonable thread got hijacked. Please people I know you all are trying to help me but please I would prefer to be emailed in this case.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
And how many threads have I made that are blog like in my grand total?
That's actually a worst-case total for you, Blayne. Because while I'd estimate that less than half of your POSTS are completely selfish, well over two-thirds of your threads seem that way to me.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.