FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "I told you so!" lol, an anetdot (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "I told you so!" lol, an anetdot
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
What Xavier said, plus:

4) Dismissing people's concerns as "just stupid" is not a way to win over those of us who are fairly indifferent towards you.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't involved in whatever controversy already previously existed about this. I just read the first post of the thread and thought to myself, what the crap -- why would somebody start a thread about this? This is meaningless. And I'd just read his, "I won!" thread and thought the same thing. And it sort of ticked me off -- what a waste of my time!

Usually when people post personal anecdotes or stories that don't effect the rest of us, it's in the context of asking for advice, or updating a situation we already knew about, or expressing some kind of anguish.

(I've been there, and done that.)

These threads....

It's like; the other day I was watching Artie Lange's dvd "It's the Whiskey Talking," and in the middle of doing his standup act, some chick shouts something to him. He goes, "What?"

The chick goes, "It's my friend's birthday today."

He goes, "Oh, wow, who gives a @&^#$?"

That's kind of what this is like.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I wasn't setting my comments up and a you vs him sorta thing, I am sorry if it looked like I was.

And I wasn't really dogpiling on Blayne, either, or at least I wasn't trying to.

HE brought you up, and KQ, as two examples of people who would not be picked on if they made up this sort of thread, I was trying to explain why it would have been different and why most people would have wanted to hear what you had to say...or Tom, or KQ, or Icky.....

Sorry if it looked like anything other than what I intended.

Blayne, a blog would work well I think, it is better suited to the every day types of threads you have been starting, and since it is your own blog rather than a message board anyone who would complain about that style of posting would be in the wrong. [Big Grin]

One more thing, this story could have been paraphrased and it would have seemed a little less like a blog entry. Everyone has their own posting style, of course, but part of the reason I personally lose interst in some of your stories is you do a blow by blow description of conversations.

Hope this helps, and that you don't feel like I was picking on you again. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I didn't bring her up, someone else did.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised at the reaction Blayne is receiving here.

Under normal circumstances, when people don't care for an initial post, they go off discussing whatever they want to in an ever-widening circle that started near the original thread's topic.

For example, this thread could've been about WoW, women who play online games, meeting women over the internet, the drama of young men who get hurt in love, and so on.

There's lots of great potential topics there.

Instead, this has become about a person's ability to start a topic in a way that others find interesting enough.

I think people find it frustrating because of their own compulsion to open every thread. That's really not Blayne's problem, is it? I mean, if he cluttered up the place with all 50 threads on the first page, it's possible to just go to page 2...

It's not as easy, or convenient, sure...but if enough people skipped his threads/posts, the silence would probably be more effective than the discussion of his "style."

And Blayne, you really could pick up the quality of your posts' content a notch, now couldn't you? Part of what I think people are trying to convey is that not everything you feel like posting is really worth posting. Sure, it's subjective, but when you have this many people telling you the same thing, perhaps that's an indication of some sort of truth.

Are you perhaps suffering from hypergraphia? Do you feel compelled to write?

Seriously.

If that's the case, perhaps a blog would be a sufficient outlet until you find a way to get the compulsion under some measure of control.

Or, conversely, if your utterances here are TRULY the best you want to offer this community, then we may need to come to terms with that in some fashion more productive than dogpiling whenever you post something people think is worth less than we hope for.

Honestly, this is just an internet bulletin board, but people do take it seriously enough to be bothered by someone who appears to not care as much as the average member does. It's as if you are telling them "I want you to react to me, but I don't care what you really think."

The fact that people are willing to be THIS flippin' rude to you is an indication of how much you frustrated them. Too bad they let you get to them, but also, too bad if you don't make more of an effort.

Ultimately, too bad for all of us because the goal positive interaction with you is the desired end state, and this is NOT getting us anywhere nearer that goal.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You could always get a Livejournal.

Livejournals are terribly simple.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

You are right, it was Reticulum . . . my mistake. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
don't you find it a bit odd that a girl would dump her boyfriend for someone she met on WoW.
Not at all. I know of someone who recently dumped her husband to hook up with someone she met on WoW. And she is middle-aged. It's sad.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't going to voice any of my opinions on this until one of the almost unspoken Rule of Hatrack Threads was broken.

DoC's Rule #2 of Hatrack Threads: Having two of your threads on the front page is a sign of healthy invovlement. Three or four could be a fluke do to an interest in specific topics. Any more than that warrants something being said.

When I logged in this morning, 6 of the threads on page one have been started by the same person. And they've posted on them all today, so it isn't like someone is trying to make it look like they're trying to overwhelm the board.

Pretty much, I'll agree with kwsni, ApostleRadio, and Xavier; these threads do indeed read like blog entires. If the peceived image is that Hatrack is anything like a blog, how do we take immediate steps to stop that? Discussions and blogs really don't make for the best pair. Ever.

And yes, I would have posted this regarless of who it was concerning.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Not all of them were started on the same day. 2 tops.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Immaterial.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
What I find most upsetting blayne is that instead of going "ok i will take these things into account and through a respect of those involved in the hatrack society" you are going "but this person likes it, and i didnt do that many, and, if it had been this person, and but but but."
THis is one of the most long lasting "hey you stop that" threads that has actually stayed on track that ive ever seen here. That is a sign of how upsetting people are finding your behaviour. I mean its still been civil because its hatrack but this is very close to being about as upset as it can get.
Dont you want to feel apart of the atmosphere? I mean i doesnt the feelings in this thread mean anything too you?
I think you should apologize not neccessarily for the topic but you reaction to what has been an honost problem prosented to you in a civil way by a great many hatrackers. They have even given you advice on how to constructively fix the problem. For the betterment of hatrack please apologize and take what was said here into account when creating new topics. Thank you.
-0range7Penguin

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think apologies are ever warranted for "wasting my time." Changing behavior goes a lot further than any apology could.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Listen...nothing Blayne has said or done is wrong in and of itself. It's the VOLUME of it that is distressful. Daily entries in a blog are fine, but this is a message board.

He knows this now, so lets back off and see if knowing that makes a difference. [Big Grin]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I still would've prefered an email.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's obvious that our preferences don't matter to you, so why should yours matter to us?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.