FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dairy Coke! That's just wrong... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dairy Coke! That's just wrong...
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, the new Coke Black Cherry Vanilla is certified Kosher dairy. It won't affect me, because the whole idea of Black Cherry Vanilla Coke makes my tummy churn, but there's something really disturbing about Coke that's certified dairy.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
People mix Pepsi and Milk. I've tried it. It's not unpleasant, just kind of weird.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Either of those really isn't anything more than a melted (coke or pepsi) float would be.

And those are downright tasty.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
My issue would be the use by date. Doesn't something with dairy go bad a lot sooner then regular cola? Most people don't bother to check the date on soda because it is almost always drunk well in advance.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Fair enough. I used to drink "milk-pop" when I was little, too. Pepsi and milk. But I was a little kid. And it wasn't sold that way. <shudder>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird that it's certified dairy. I LOVE the new Black Cherry Vanilla Coke but I buy it in diet.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I like coke-floats... a dollop of vanilla ice-cream in cola. Which is the same principle, I guess.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
It supposedly lasts longer than Vanilla Coke. Shelf life was actually a major reason why normal Vanilla Coke is no more. It went bad a lot faster than normal Coke, so they changed it out with the black cherry vanilla coke (which really is good by the way).
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh....I've found that milk and sodas make an unpleasant scum inside the glass.

Chocolate milk and orange juice, now, that's a treat.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's certified dairy, does that mean you can't order it with your hamburger?

Or would it have to be on the hamburger to be a no-no? Er ... or maybe a hamburger float?

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
holy cow mabus! thats revolting! i would never, ever, ever! put chocolate in my milk and OJ.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk and OJ are not meant to be together. That's just wrong.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeeeeewwww.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, there are some creamy orange alocoholic drinks out there that sound sort of similar. It may not be all that bad.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
IANJB (I Am Not Jewish But) just because it's certified kosher dairy doesn't mean that there is actually any dairy in it...

-me

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Milk can be ultrapasteurized to have a shelf-life of ~6months at room temperature, provided that the container remains unopened.
Paraphrasing:
Milk is pasteurized by heating at 63degreesCelcius/146degreesFahrenheit for 30minutes or at 71degreesC/160degreesF for 15seconds. The process kills the dangerous microorganisms, but leaves some benign/safe microorganisms alive which will eventually sour the milk.
If the milk is kept at (refrigerator) low temperatures, the benign microorganisms reproduce more slowly and the milk takes longer to sour. In warmer temperatures, the benign microorganisms reproduce faster and the milk sours more quickly.
Either way, the pasteurized milk spoils faster once the container is opened, though still slower if kept cool and faster if allowed to become warm.

Milk is ultrapasteurized by extremely rapid heating to 140degeesC/284degreesF -- ie much hotter than the 100degreesC/212degreesF boiling point of water -- in a pressurised vat, killing all of the microorganisms.
Then it is rapidly vacuum-cooled and placed in a similarly sterilized container.
With no microorganisms feeding on the milk, there is an extremely slow rate of spoilage -- ie what spoilage that occurs is due to gradual decomposition of the less stable chemicals which make up the milk -- and so the milk remains both safe to drink and tasty for an extremely long period of time even when stored at room temperature. And a bit less at higher (outdoor) temperatures.
However, once you open the container, spores and microorganisms in the air will once again contaminate the milk, and that contamination reduces the milk's (refrigerator) shelf-life to ~10days: ie about the same as regular pasteurized milk kept in a refrigerator.

[ March 15, 2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"While Yoo-Hoo is definitely not considered a flavored milk, it does contain certain ingredients from milk - specifically, dairy whey and non-fat milk. If you are allergic to milk products or on a diet that does not permit milk-products, please check with your doctor or nutritionist to be sure."

"Why is Yoo-hoo packaged in glass bottles rather than plastic?
Yoo-hoo is a unique beverage that requires special processing with high temperatures to prevent spoilage. We are unable to heat our products in plastic bottles as the plastic would melt during this process."

And I was fairly certain that some bottlers made kosher Yoo-hoo [Dont Know] but while I can find some indications that that is true, I haven't found a page of kosher products that confirms it.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoo-hoo isn't made with glass anymore, as they new produce plastics that withstand the higher temperatures. Same thing with canned baby food.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Orange ice cream is fairly decent. And Orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream mix marvelously well. But mandarin orange slices in chocolate ice cream is heavenly.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like milk and coke together. But not with a burger. [Smile] Unless it is one of those soy veggie burgers, but not even then, 'cause I don't like those soy veggie burgers. [Razz]

Lots of things that have vanilla flavor are certified dairy, even if they have no milk in them, but because the vanilla flavoring is made from ingredients that are derived from milk.

I am not interested in drinking Black Cherry Vanilla Coke, though. I'll just stick to seltzer.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
sL, where did you hear this? And are you sure this isn't an instance of DE-labelled-as-D?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
If it's certified dairy, does that mean you can't order it with your hamburger?

Or would it have to be on the hamburger to be a no-no? Er ... or maybe a hamburger float?

That depends on whether it is actually dairy (that is, contains dairy ingredients), or merely "dairy equipment" (that is, cooked/baked/whatever on/in something that was used for dairy ingredients OR contains such an ingredient). Dairy foods cannot be eaten together with (or for some time after) meat foods; dairy-equipment foods cannot be served together with meat foods, but may be eaten immediately thereafter.

To give examples, if I make a kugel which contains sour cream, I cannot serve it with chicken (or beef, etc.), nor could I serve it afterwards for dessert. However, the parve (neither meat nor dairy) cake that I baked in a (clean) dairy pan could be served for dessert (although not on meat-designated plates). Clear? [Wink]

To muddy the waters, a number of kosher supervision agencies stopped making the distinction about 10 years ago. Now "Dairy" on a label can mean really dairy OR dairy-equipment . . . although they will usually tell you which it is, if you ask.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yoo-hoo isn't made with glass anymore, as they new produce plastics that withstand the higher temperatures. Same thing with canned baby food.
I still see glass containers of both those items. But I also see plastic containers of baby food (at least from Gerber) and plastic bottles of Yoo-Hoo, although I personally prefer Yoo-Hoo in juice box-type cartons...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
HELP!

Okay, this has been bugging me since forever.

Phil Hendrie was talking one night about how he and his buddies ended up in some town where they couldn't serve alcholic beverages after a certain time or on a certain day or some such.

He said they were drinking a mix of milk and Root Beer that was the strongest thing they could get, and he had a name for it. I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

What is the name of the drink when you mix milk and root beer?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, to tell the truth--it's been a long time since I drank chocolate milk and oj together. I don't know if I'd still like it. My tastes have changed.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Maybe he called them Boston coolers.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they do the coke/milk thing on Laverne and Shirley?
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I always wonder, when people ask questions and then answer them by themselves, how to respond.

Perhaps with applause? [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What is the name of the drink when you mix milk and root beer?

Where I grew up, it was called a Brown Cow.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

A Brown Cow has vanilla ice cream.

Or, sayeth Google, Kahlua. Or other coffee-flavored alcohol. Or no dairy ingredients at all. Or chocolate ice cream.

But this is the one I meant.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Or a root beer float?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Japan's got some odd sodas. Isn't Calpis kind of a dairy soda? [Dont Know]

Well, if it's not, I'm sure they have some version of it.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Where I'm from, rivka, a root beer float is a root beer with vanilla ice cream, while a Brown Cow is a root beer with milk. I can easily see how the two would overlap, though. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

(See my edit.)
docmagik
Member # 1131

It might have been Brown Cow. I thought it had more syllables than that, though. I could have sworn it had "muddy" in it, or some "muddy" type of word. But my brain has been known to be quite unreliable about such things.

It probably was Brown Cow.

rivka
Member # 4859

How now?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Pepsi Blue...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with Brown Cows being Coke with vanilla ice cream.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
sL, where did you hear this?

Aha! See what happens when I catch up on my email?
*pats self on back* [Wink]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Calpis has milk in it. And it tastes really weird.

But I though milk went chunky if you put it in citrus?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"It might have been Brown Cow...I could have sworn it had...some "muddy" type of word."

Coulda been a Vigin Mudslide. Or knowing Hendry's fondness for playful names, a Morally Pure Mudslide.
But the drinks are not just milk and soda. It's base is usually cream and soda with coffee and chocolate -- with variations also containing banana/etc and/or flavorings such as amaretto/etc -- topped with whipped cream.

[ March 16, 2006, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to be sick.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mabus:
Eh....I've found that milk and sodas make an unpleasant scum inside the glass.

Chocolate milk and orange juice, now, that's a treat.

Ew! Of course, I remember my little brother mixing orange pop and root beer once. I'm not sure you can get ickier than that.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I like milk and coke together. But not with a burger. [Smile] Unless it is one of those soy veggie burgers, but not even then, 'cause I don't like those soy veggie burgers. [Razz]

If you're ever in Chicago, we have a place called Ken's Diner. It's a 50s diner, and it's kosher. And the burgers... mmm, out of this world.

And they make Tofutti shakes. Having a chocolate shake with a hamburger is a major treat.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
sL, where did you hear this? And are you sure this isn't an instance of DE-labelled-as-D?

Pardon me, it's Coke Blak, actually. And it's on the CRC website.

So there's something worse than Black Cherry Vanilla Coke. Gawd...

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspectre,

Does the ultrapasteurization denature any of the beneficial molecules in milk?

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The primary "beneficial molecule" in milk is calcium. Or rather, calcium compounds. They would not be affected by pasteurization of any kind.

sL, the Kashrut.com link says it got the info from cRc, and confirmed with the O-U. And it makes much more sense that this coffee-flavored coke <insert green-faced smilie here> will be dairy. Especially since I kept finding the vanilla-cherry on lists with no mention of it being dairy! Thanks for the clarification.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<insert green-faced smilie here>

[Razz] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Monkeys]
[The Wave] <-- the guy on the end

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

None of those are sufficiently green. Think more like this fellow.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Coffee flavored Coke doesn't sound all that bad to me. But what's up with the name? Coke Blak? That's just messed up.

Mmm...caffeine!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.