FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dairy Coke! That's just wrong... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dairy Coke! That's just wrong...
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like sL was not the only person confused by the announcement. Link
quote:
The newest flavor from Coke, Coke Blak is certified kosher DAIRY.

The following is a clarification from the OU:
The product Coca-Cola Bla-k (spelled without a 'C') is to be a specialty premium drink that will be sold in unique (glass) bottles. This product formula is dairy and the product will be correctly labeled OUD.
This should not be confused with the Coca-Cola Black Cherry Vanilla sold in standard bottles and cans which is Parve and labeled OU (in those areas where the symbol appears on Coke products).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Finally tasted some. Chilled, it's actually not bad. Sort of like iced coffee with bubbles, and a bit of coke-ness.

Worth getting once to try (I got a four-pack), but I am unlikely to ever bother to buy it again.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it and didn't care for it. Too syrupy.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I love that stuff, assuming it is sufficiently cold; otherwise it gets a nasty aftertaste.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoo-hoo is indeed still packaged in glass bottles. (Also, paper cartons.) It's certified kosher by the Triangle-K.

(I'm a fan of Yoo-hoo myself. There's nothing else quite like it.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It's certified kosher
quote:
by the Triangle-K.
Shall we talk about how those two parts of your sentence are mutually exclusive? [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] rivka
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Shall we talk about how those two parts of your sentence are mutually exclusive? [Wink]

...you do realize there are a lot of people who'd say the exact same thing about the OU, right? [Smile]

I considered mentioning that the Triangle-K was less widely accepted than the OU, OK, or Chof-K, but figured that'd complicate things unecessarily. At any rate, my family's never had a problem with it.

(My family has some first-hand experience in the highly politicized world of hechsheirim. Don't believe everything you hear on the street.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
Don't believe everything you hear on the street.

Pssst...YooHoo!
Shmuel
Member # 7586

[Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
(My family has some first-hand experience in the highly politicized world of hechsheirim. Don't believe everything you hear on the street.)

So do I, and I know. But I still stand by my previous statement.

And . . . I'm not sure how to put this, so I apologize if I offend, but I'm not going to take kashrus recommendations from someone who doesn't worry about kashrus himself.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

No offense, and that's completely reasonable. I certainly wasn't trying to win anybody over.

(To the extent that I was offering anecdotal evidence, it referred to the rest of my family, which falls solidly into the FFB-as-far-back-as-anyone-can-remember camp. But even there, I wasn't recommending anything.)

But if you're broaching the subject in the first place, and offering to "talk about how those two parts of your sentence are mutually exclusive," then I'd be interested in hearing what you know about Rabbi Ralbag that I don't. Every firsthand report I know of claims he's a yoreh shamaim, and pretty much everything negative I've heard boils down to either a garbled retelling of an incident with an oil truck that he put a stop to, or a claim that he relies upon kulos (generally unspecified) that other agencies don't.

Granting the latter point, it's perfectly fine not to rely upon a hashgocha because your rabbi follows more machmir rulings. A whole lot of people don't hold of cholov stam or pas palter, to pick a couple of obvious examples. But claiming that a rabbi who follows other rulings is certifying tarfus as kosher goes a bit too far, I think.

...of course, if you don't want to discuss this with me at all, that's fine too. Just don't offer to talk about it in the first place. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

I have had the unacceptable-to-most kulos he relies upon enumerated to me. It has been a couple years, so I no longer recall the specifics, but I can probably find out again if you like. I have no doubt that both Rabbis Ralbag are yoreh shamayim, and I apparently entirely missed the oil truck story.

I happily consume both cholov stam and pas palter. You may take away my Entenmann's and Pepperidge Farms and Hershey's from my cold, dead hands. [Big Grin] But until and unless the Triangle-K is recommended by either R' Eidlitz , the Star K, or a few other rabbonim I know . . .

In any case, I believe you know that my suggestion was a rhetorical device, neh? [Wink]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"When Jews Kibitz", next on FOX.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

We're not kibitzing. We're hocking cheinik. [Wink]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Fair enough. [Smile]

Honestly, the only bit I took issue with was flatly characterizing it as not kosher. I have absolutely no quibble with you pointing out that it follows more lenient standards and isn't accepted by a whole lot of people. As I said above, I considered saying so in the initial post. Maybe I should've. [Smile]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
We're not kibitzing. We're hocking cheinik. [Wink]

So that's where my kettle went... [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Kettle =! teapot
rivka
Member # 4859

^ See, THAT is kibitzing.

[Big Grin]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

[ROFL]

Yep. [Smile]

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the idea of vanilla-flavored Coke, but for whatever reason, the actual product I find fairly awful. Both the vanilla and cherry-vanilla varieties. I was hoping for something like a cream-soda-and-coke kind of mellow, and instead it's more like Coke with a harsh, bitter vanilla aftertaste.

I haven't tried Coke Blak because I react weirdly to aspartame. (Why, why, why does anyone put both aspartame and sugar into a single product?!)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Postscript: I picked up a carton of Yoo-Hoo today... apparently, in Boston, it's certified by the KVH (Vaad Harabbonim of New England), which is substantially more widely accepted than the Triangle-K.

(This doesn't help those of you in other markets, of course.)

rivka
Member # 4859

KVH is just fine with me. (I believe I have a slew of yogurts under their supervision in my fridge.)

In any case, I believe Yoo-hoo tastes much like egg creams. Neh? And I hate those.

I want my chocolate milk to taste like MILK, gosh darn it! Not water. >_<

Shmuel
Member # 7586

It's not quite like an egg cream -- it's not carbonated, for one thing -- but I'll grant that it's closer to that than to chocolate milk. I take this as an advantage, rather than a flaw (it's not chocolate milk, it's much lighter!), but we've all been designed with different tastes. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Right. [Smile]

You're supposed to finish, "More for me!" [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.