FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » May Revel 2006 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: May Revel 2006
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've never actually flown a kite.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go get a reel for my one remaining one string kite, cause I broke the other one, and then I will have two flyable kites. I LOVE my four string. I really love my two string kites too, but they keep breaking spars, which is frustrating.

I promise you can fly both the four string and the one string if we have any wind and someplace to fly tomorrow.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cool! Here's hoping for a windy spring day!

Jenny, how muddy is it there?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never flown a kite either! I'm so excited--I can't tell you how much I need a break from Chitown.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I have four kites flyable, and another one I don't mind flying broken. So everybody should get a chance to fly, assuming we've got the wind and the room.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Not very muddy, PERFECT for kite-flying!!!!!! We have 2 acres of field, and there's more all around. Little Mother is squealing with delight (she still remembers you, kwsni!). And Ken can bring his fencing toys if he wants. But there will be toddlers and babies who will want to copy him.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I doubt he will bring the fencing stuff. We will bring the big frisbee, which is Ken's favorite toy around kids.

Ni!

Noemon
Member # 1115

Karl and Chris have a couple of Dollar Store kites with them, so there will be even more to go around.

We had fun picking out cheeses to bring at Trader Joe's.

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu had to back out as well, so I'm flying solo. See y'all in a few hours!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a lovely party! Thanks to all the Hatrackers who came! I'll leave it to them to tell the story of what a May Revel is REALLY like.

My impressions of the guests...

Stray is a sweet,shyish gal with phenomenal Knitting Power. You should have seen the decadent sock she was working on. It was totally a work of art!

PsychoTriad was a bit subdued compared to other times I've played with him. But he DID cause bleeding. And his hair was longer. And he was cute and fun and pleasant to be around as always.

kwsni is getting prettier every time I see her. The kite was a big hit. I think she was having a pretty good time, judging from her smiles.

Noemon made the rounds, visiting with everyone. He seemed quite at home. And I found out he can do Reiki. He also has great taste in cheeses (along with Karl and Chris)! And he is forever my Bug Friend. Ask him about his new girlfriend, Julia. He also brought me a Vietnamese frog instrument, which is going to be great fun playing. All my girlfriends have drums to play at nighttime campfire sessions, but I have a FROG!

KarlEd also brought me a present - an exquisite beaded hummingbird necklace, part of which he made himself. I would have worn it longer, but the Little Crow insisted on tugging on it and putting it in his mouth. It was wonderful to finally meet my garden buddy. The fae of Dragonwood liked him, too. (Did they tell you that?) He's a big guy with a red beard, which I didn't expect. And he brought MASKS for himself and Chris to wear during the Maypole dance. It was awesome to dance this year with the GreenMan and the SunKing. My beans popped right up today! Also, Chris and he make a cute couple.

Kristen is a beautiful young lady, friendly and pretty new to Hatrack. She brought her young man with her. They didn't drink enough May wine to feel comfortable dancing the Maypole, but I think they enjoyed becoming Real with the other Hatrackers.

That's all for now. I'm tired, with lots of leftover cheese in the refrigerator, enough May wine to get quite happy over the next week or so, and rather a lot of dishes to wash. Also, I am very happy. Little Mother is in bed with her bestest friend; they're having a sleepover. Little Crow is letting me know I've spent enough time with other people today and it's now time to put him to bed.

Enjoyed meeting all of you! We'll have to do it again next year!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Finally made it back home and in one piece. (Well, two pieces, a Chris-shaped one and a Karl-shaped one. [Wink] )

Dragonwood was fantastic, and if ever the spirit of a dragon manifested itself in wood, it has done so there. There were some murmurings about whether we'd all see her or whether she'd be too obscure, but she was out in full force for the revel, clear and bright as the day itself. We left her offerings of wildflowers. Alas, I didn't take my camera on the walk, so I'll have to wait for Noemon to post a photo.

Jenny Gardener surprised me with how young she is. She must have a very old soul that I was picking up through her writing. She's a wonderful host and a true friend of nature. Trillium and Phlox were jumping up all over her land, and several Jacks-in-their-pulpits even stuck around after their normal blooming time just to attend the Revel. Too bad they didn't like cheese and May wine because we had that in abundance. Jenny even offered us a cookout dinner, but we decided the 3 hour return drive to Dayton would put us to late if we accepted. Next time we'll plan for that for sure.

It was great to meet all the other Hatrackers. Everyone was so fun and cheerful. I hope they can all come visit our house sometime soon.

Just a note of correction, Jenny. I did make the whole necklace that I gave to you. It's just that the actual hummingbird part wasn't my own original design, I followed a pattern for that. The branches, leaves and flowers were all my own embellishment to the hummingbird base.

Thanks again, Jenny, for such a wonderful time. I want you to know I was very happy to be able to partake of your hospitality. You have some great friends and it's easy to see how you attract them. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed our first Jack in The Pulpet yesterday, very exciting.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The May Revel was all sorts of fun. The drive there and back and the party itself were both great, and I loved seeing Hatrackers new (to me) and old again.

The Maypole dance that I participated in went more smoothly than any of the ones I've been in before, and I had all sorts of fun tromping around in the woods, checking out Jenny's beehive, seeing the beautiful space Jenny and her husband are living in while they build their house (I'd have a hard time moving out to the garage apartment, myself; it's a very cool space), and just generally hopping from conversational circle to conversational circle getting to know people better.

Here are the pictures that were good enough to be uploaded to Flickr.

KarlEd
Member # 571

I have photos, too. I'll try to get them uploaded this evening. Last night I was just too tired. Funny how you can sit on your butt for 7 hours in a car and arrive exhausted!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pictures. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I'm glad you revelers enjoyed the day at my Enchanted Forest!
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't post till now as my internet at home is down, but I just wanted to say that I had a lovely time and it was great to meet everyone!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix
Member # 8089

- posted      Profile for Phoenix   Email Phoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, it's been awhile since I have last posted (which would probably be about a year and a half ago, lol), but I wanted to say thanks to Jenny Gardener for inviting KarlEd and me to a wonderful and fun gathering. [Party] My most favorite part was the kite flying (with the little bit of wind that was there) [Dont Know] and the relaxing walk through the woods to take the first look at their resident Dragon. [Big Grin] We had a great time and look forword to more gatherings with Jenny Gardener in the future. [Group Hug]
Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh this sounds like it was so much fun! I am going next year, and the rest of you all have to go back!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

OK, my photos are up on Flickr. Not all are from the Revel. Chris and I spent the non-revel time between Friday evening and Sunday departure with Noemon, in and around Dayton.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Great pictures, Karl. I love the one with the two trees getting it on.

Hey, what is the name of the guy (or name of the company) that made your masks? I started to google it a little bit ago, and realized that I couldn't remember.

Kristen
Member # 9200

Great pictures. Great memories. Great wine and food. Great company. Coatesie and I had an amazing time (although I'm sad we messed up our time zones and arrived half-way through and missed out on the initial fun).

Jenny Gardener was an amazing host and the tour through the woods was probably the highlight of the party as we got to see the dragon and learn all about the woods. The May Pole dance was really something to watch as well.

Also: I'm real now! [Wave]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, better to have messed up the time zones than to have been driving all over rural IN, trying to figure out where you made the wrong turn like we did.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

But driving all over rural IN is fun, and you probably didn't even see a cow walking in the road? Did you count basketball goals on houses?
Noemon
Member # 1115

No, but it was entertaining when Phoenix rolled down his window to ask a woman on a riding mower where was sprayed with the grass clippings flying from the mower.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

heh, you're still missing out on Indiana, next time y'all visit, come down our way.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I was thinking that a Bloomington trip might be in order in the relatively near future.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Then let us know and we'll plan something. As long as you don't have a problem hanging out with kids (who are mostly 20 and older now).
Kristen
Member # 9200

We did get kinda lost on the way back, but we ended up stopping for pizza at Arni's (?) which was apparently the hip and happening place to be in Russiaville and has surprisingly good pizza.

Rural Indiana is gorgeous. It was like sunsets were made for farms. Stunning.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The sunsets are pretty, sadly we're in enough hills that we don't seem them without leaving home.
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Hey, what is the name of the guy (or name of the company) that made your masks? I started to google it a little bit ago, and realized that I couldn't remember.

Can't remember off the top of my head. I'll check when I get home and email you.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Actually, I did a google search and I'm pretty sure ours were made by Leah and Shane Odom. However, there was another vendor at the renfest that sold leather masks. He has some that are really cool, but I didn't like them as much in the details. His name is Larry Wood.

Now, if you come to visit sometime between August 29th and October 22nd on a Saturday or Sunday, we'll take you to the renfest and introduce you ourselves. [Wink]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So Noemon, how about your girlfriend Julia?

(JennyG said to ask!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I know all about her, but I'm not telling. [Wink]

[Monkeys]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So if I'm looking at a picture of KarlEd and Noemon, which of you is taller? I was just wondering the other day if I'd ever seen a picture of Noemon.

Oooh, you know I live in Anne Arundel County now. Are you going down every weekend or just as it might fit with random Jatraqueros?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

KarlEd is taller.
pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, I was trying to go with the "evil twin of mr_porteiro_head" and it was coming up sixes.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Cool links, Karl--thanks!

The thing about Julia is that she's all about work. She's an excellent dancer, though, as she demonstrated for the revelers who stayed until the very end of the party.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Is Noemon dating one of Little-Mother's classmates?
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

There was some petting involved - in public, even! [Eek!]
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Oooh, you know I live in Anne Arundel County now. Are you going down every weekend or just as it might fit with random Jatraqueros?
Cool. You're pretty close then. (I just moved out of AA county 2 years ago in August).

I couldn't afford to go to the Renfest every weekend, but that would make a cool pooka-con or KarlEd-con event, wouldn't it. No, I usually try to get there at least once a year, and I don't have a firm date this year so I could mesh it with someone else's schedule at this point.

pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, I knew you moved a short distance from where you were to PA, but I hadn't remembered it being from MD. We're near Riviera Beach. We have a rabbit that spends quite a bit of time in our backyard. [Smile] And also a redheaded woodpecker that sometimes taps on our trim. [Frown] It's just a cookie cutter subdivision, but there's still a little nature not too far off. It would be excellent if we could lure other folks into our plans.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

*bump* These are the best pictures of the May Revel I could find...

This year's Revel is May 7th - first Saturday in May, as always.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.