FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wow, I can't believe that Sony is charging... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wow, I can't believe that Sony is charging...
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly uncopyable (disc to disc), right? I was under the impression that Nintendo owned/had an exclusive contract with the companies that made the discs and the readers - but that might just be hearsay.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, if PS3 bombs, and Microsoft picks up a lot of the pieces, not to mention Nintendo regaining some marketshare....does Sega decide to pick up the gauntlet again?

Sega has stayed away from consoles since the Dreamcast bombed wretchedly. Hasn't even looked like they've had a chance recently. Anyone think they might take a shot at it again if Sony bombs out? It leaves everything fairly wide open.

Another note on the price of the PS3...For almost $800 including the system and a couple games, to say nothing of whatever else you want, I could get a pretty decent gaming computer from Dell, or could most certainly build one myself for that. Or buy an HDTV. That's something that hasn't been discussed a lot however, what is the percentage of Americans, Japanese and South Koreans (the Big Three markets for gaming) that actually HAVE HDTVs?

No way parents are going to buy that for their kids for Christmas, which has to be the aim considering the timing of the release. I think in fact, it makes XBox360 and Wii look all the more attractive at Christmas time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the PS3 isn't even on the map anymore. I've never liked the Final Fantasy games much, nor any of their other big franchises, and the machine itself is going to be too expensive to justify. No, it's really only a choice between Nintendo and Microsoft this time, and up until Monday, I was more or less convinced that I was gonna go Wii (ba-dump PSH!).

Then Bungie did that whole "announcing Halo 3" thing, and that changes everything. [Smile] Call me crazy, but there's only one franchise that's really gripped my attention this past generation, and that's the one with the big green cyborg.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, about the generallities, does anyone have hard facts in terms of statistics why the PS3 would do badly?
Aside from the price issue, I think this is pretty telling:

quote:
The wait to try out the Wii at E3 pushed past four hours on Thursday afternoon, while the wait for hands-on time with Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 was barely 30 minutes.
In short, if people are less excited about and having less fun playing the PS3 than the competition, fewer will pay the massive price tag.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and i replay with her old Super NES recently. Waow !! Donkey kong country is fun !!!
and the terrible but untiredable Mario cart the first ! Totally nuts !

Why buying a so expensive gamebox whereas we have good old consoles ?

Next time : The Atari 2600 !!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by three people in two diffferent shops yesterday that it DID play HD DVD's out of the box....but only if you got a Premium Package that retails for $399.

See why I was confused? [Big Grin]

I asked very specifically, too, I made sure of it.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The confusion is that most sales folks at these places just hear buzzwords. A system has a DVD player, and can output an HD signal??? Must be able to play an HD DVD [Smile] Doh!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i'm pretty sure they'll have adapters out to allow more then 7.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

also, is the xbox being released into Japan? I've heard that Japan held off from buying the Xbox 360.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
i'm pretty sure they'll have adapters out to allow more then 7.

Based on... what, exactly? If you look at the lights on the controller that identify whether you're player 1, 2, etc., those lights go from one to... four.

4 != 7

So what happened to the promise of support for 7 controllers, then? How about that router functionality? Dual HDMI outputs?

If gamers haven't learned to mistrust corporate hype machines by now (and Sony's in particular), maybe we never will.

Added: Additionally, given that the controllers are wireless, I don't see why you should need to buy an adapter to play with more than whatever the limit turns out to be. It's not like you need additional physical components to detect more clients on a wireless network.

Added:

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
also, is the xbox being released into Japan? I've heard that Japan held off from buying the Xbox 360.

Microsoft released the Xbox 360 almost simultaneously worldwide, so yes, it's out in Japan, and has been since last November. It isn't selling well over there so far.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Based on... what, exactly? If you look at the lights on the controller that identify whether you're player 1, 2, etc., those lights go from one to... four.
I've seen many indicators that use the lights this way:

code:
              LIGHTS
Value 1 2 3 4
1 X
2 X
3 X
4 X
5 X X
6 X X
7 X X

Don't know if they're doing that or not.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

well look at the PS1, didnt it have an adapter to allow 7+ players?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

also, http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/videos/32.html

the controller-gyro thingamajingy is pretty cool, I can become an ace pilot this way.

Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
I've seen many indicators that use the lights this way:

code:
              LIGHTS
Value 1 2 3 4
1 X
2 X
3 X
4 X
5 X X
6 X X
7 X X

Sony is trying to stealth teach us binary! They are turning us all into geeks!

EVIL!!!

-Bok

EDIT: Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
I agree that that's possible. [Smile]
quote:
well look at the PS1, didnt it have an adapter to allow 7+ players?
It did. But why would you need a physical adapter when the controllers are wireless? The controller limitation should be determined by the available wireless bandwidth.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

My desk fan has a timer implemented this way. It can set any time from one half our to 7.5 hours at half hour intervals.

quote:
Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!
I'm not sure what base it actually is. The value of each place doesn't go up by powers of a single number. It can hold numbers from zero to 10 in four places. Binary can hold, what, 0-15 in 4 digits?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Er... isn't it just the sum of the assigned values for each space? I don't think such a system has a base as such, does it?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
isn't it just the sum of the assigned values for each space?
Yes.

quote:
I don't think such a system has a base as such, does it?
I don't know the right terminology.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
They just sound like bitmasks.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
In the interest of full disclosure, my home has multiple computers but only has a (13", non-HD) TV because my mother in law left one here. I'm an avid computer gamer but if I ever buy a console-style system, it'll more likely be a handheld than anythin else.

That said, here's my ignorant and potentially blasphemous statement...

How many people are really going to use a 1080p HD system?! Are there really that many people out there with enormous HD televisions? We are only now, slowly, getting to the point where people who look plausibly like real people can be generated by hardware in real time. The resolution of 1080p, not to mention the capacity of Blu-Ray, presently seems like so much overkill. I feel kind of like I do about people in computer games who sneer at systems that can't do everything at 1600 x 1200: at what point does it cease being about real gains in quality and just become a matter of bragging rights?

Not long ago, people were talking about how good DVD-quality video looked; frankly, I'm still there. Part of that may be a stingy unwillingness to jump on the new-shiny-biggest-and-best bandwagon, but a lot of it is just face value: DVD resolution still looks pretty good to me.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Sony is trying to stealth teach us binary! They are turning us all into geeks!

EVIL!!!

-Bok

EDIT: Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!

Well Bok, there are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't [Wink]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Well Bok, there are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't [Wink]

Gah! The geekiness, it's all over me! Get it off, get. it. off!

-Bok

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sony's New Marketing Strategy
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:

Gah! The geekiness, it's all over me! Get it off, get. it. off!

-Bok

What do you mean, get it off? You are the one spreading it all over the place! [Wink] If we get all the geekiness off of you there won't be anything left for Karen to hug! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
My desk fan has a timer implemented this way. It can set any time from one half our to 7.5 hours at half hour intervals.

quote:
Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!
I'm not sure what base it actually is. The value of each place doesn't go up by powers of a single number. It can hold numbers from zero to 10 in four places. Binary can hold, what, 0-15 in 4 digits?
[Laugh] NERDSSS!!!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.