FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A special place in hell...

Author Topic: A special place in hell...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN

quote:
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- A wheelchair-bound Los Angeles woman, who has repeatedly filed lawsuits over access for the disabled, got up and ran after police arrested her for fraud, authorities said Thursday.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet they all do it!
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
oooooh! special hell!

And I agree.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
So, while I do agree that there's a special place in hell for the woman, at the same time, I also find it incredibly funny and immediately sent it to my wheelchair-bound friend (really, he is! I swear!) who is very proud of his t-shirt with the slogan "I'm not disabled, I'm just lazy."
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else here remember station manager Guy Caballero, who went around in a wheelchair "for the respect"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like she was on a roll before getting arrested.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kaioshin00:
Sounds like she was on a roll before getting arrested.

I think she's going downhill now.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if she wheel get the chair thrown at her instead of a book?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Praise Jesus, she's been healed!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is what she did so bad? I don't think there will be any special hell for this. Its simply extremely stupid and counter productive. There are a lot worse things than that she could have done.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Calm down Occasional, I think she can stand up for herself.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
My dear mother was stricken with polio after WW2.
She spent the remainder of her life in a wheelchair. She could stand just enough to hoist herself from wheelchair to bed, carseats to chairs etc. She raised three kids, went back to college and got a masters in psychology. She was the president of an art league for the handicapped.

She lead as normal of a life as she could and never complained.

After handicapped parking places became more common, she would not park in them. She said others might need them more than her.

There might not be a special place in hell for the wheelchair scammer Laura Lee Medley, but she will burn a little hotter along with Guy Caballero.

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This woman committed three major transgressions:

1.) Fraud and theft - taking and attempting to take that which isn't hers.

2.) Perversion of the justice system - an attempt to marshall the coercive force of the state in an attempt to accomplish number 1, which both increases costs associated with redressing legitmate grievances and tends to diminish the moral authority of the civil claims system.

3.) Added a new level of suspicion to claims of need and access. False claims for assistance and charity tend to make people less willing to give it when it's needed. This is her greatest transgression, I believe.

This is a very bad thing she did.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
*resists temptation to quote The Big Lebowski*
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in hell she will be relegated to life in a wheelchair...with no access ramps!

Or square wheels.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
...or both.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When I go to hell, I can only hope that I get a special place. I'd hate to associate with the riffraff.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
Calm down Occasional, I think she can stand up for herself.

I'm sorry nobody else found that funny, I laughed out loud at work [ROFL] comedy gold.

Dagonee: I like your assesment of the situation.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3.) Added a new level of suspicion to claims of need and access. False claims for assistance and charity tend to make people less willing to give it when it's needed. This is her greatest transgression, I believe.

Great assessment, as usual, my friend. Totally nailed it, as far as I'm concerned, especially number 3.

(Wonder how long before John Stossel does a story on this one and turns it into a general attack on the Americans with Disabilities Act?)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of special places in hell...

Pastor charged in spanking of girl claiming sexual abuse

quote:
An Elgin pastor for two months regularly spanked a 13-year-old girl with a wooden stick to punish her for claiming she had been sexually abused by a relative, police said Thursday, a day after arresting the clergyman on a charge of battery.

The Rev. Daryl P. Bujak allegedly spanked the girl during weekly counseling sessions at his First Missionary Baptist Church last year because he thought she was lying about being abused.

[Mad]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine he'll get some spankings of his own in prison.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I do sort of wonder who will serve more time...the guy who sexually abused that girl or the man who spanked her for "lying" about it.

I'd like to send her parents to jail to while we're at it.

I hope they at least have to defend their custody rights in front of an experienced judge.

Even if one is in favor of spanking, turning over the PHYSICAL disciplining of ones child to a clergy person gives me the heebie jeebies.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy:
*resists temptation to quote The Big Lebowski*

This is VERY VERY BAD LARRY! Do you know what happens when you hurt people Larry? YOUR KILLING YOUR FATHER LARRY!!! YOUR KILLING YOUR FATHER!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr!!! Next to hydrogen, stupidity seems to be the most abundant quantity in the universe.

oh, and...
The Dude abides.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if we're drawing links between hydrogen and stupidity maybe there's hope for humanity afterall. The amount of hydrogen in the universe is steadily decreasing while the amount of stupidity is...

...oh. Never mind.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabrina
Member # 9413

- posted      Profile for Sabrina           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Well if we're drawing links between hydrogen and stupidity maybe there's hope for humanity afterall. The amount of hydrogen in the universe is steadily decreasing while the amount of stupidity is...

...oh. Never mind.

*feels MUCH better now* [Wink]
Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry nobody else found that funny, I laughed out loud at work [ROFL] comedy gold.
Oh, it's absolutely funny... Just imagine if there were a laughing smilie or a LOL after EVERY funny thing said on the forum! I certainly wouldn't be able to handle scrolling through all the appreciatory posts, that level of reaction what AIM is for [Wink]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Wonder how long before John Stossel does a story on this one and turns it into a general attack on the Americans with Disabilities Act?)
To pull together both your points, there were some fairly high profile cases of fake molestation abuses against teachers. There were tons of articles outlining how bad the problem is and that we're unfair to those accused. There was also quite a bit written about how this would make it harder for future victims to get someone to believe them. Both of these seem like appropriate reflections to make after such an incident.

But there were also lots of articles using these incidents plus a couple of others to suggest (or outright state in the more egregious articles) that most molestation accusations were false. I'm not talking any scientific studies, mind you. Just something akin to "these girls lied, so therefore we should distrust everyone who makes those accusations."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.