FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some news for the Rush fans (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some news for the Rush fans
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am unsure how many Rush fans are still lurking around here, but there must be a few left. Well, it's time to come out of the woodwork because I have stumbled across some fantastic news.

quote:
With a bit of luck we will have an album out early in 2007 and then go out on the road maybe next spring if we are lucky. It's a little too early to tell yet what direction the new material is taking, but Alex and I are just having a blast. We are getting songs written so we are getting there. We kind of record while we write and we would say that we will write and record for the duration of this year. You just never know where it is going to go. I think that's what keeps it fun for us and I am glad that there are people out there that appreciate that.

-Geddy Lee, sometime in the last couple weeks

I can't wait. [Big Grin] I just hope it's a far cry from Vapor Trails, which ended up being one of my least favorite albums. Mostly I am excited about the mention of a tour - I missed the last one and was worried it may have been my last chance.

So, who else out there cares?

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of at least one person who will be very excited.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me! [The Wave] [Party]
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
And me.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
peek approves of the rush.

Dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news, Jeni. Hopefully they will hit the DC area on the tour...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been rumored that both AC/DC and The Who are at work on new albums, as well.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
??????
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Limbaugh?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. His album is actually going to be him impersonating Pat Boon singing songs written by the band Rush.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
??????
I thought you might catch that. [Smile]

I still have to get the TS clearence. See Sake (I was going to do it last night but I couldn't get on)

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

[Party]

Jeni, where did Geddy say that? Do you have a link to the article?

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
New Rush?!?! Awesome!!

And I may have to ignore any new Who music... it's just not quite the same with half the band gone. I do like both Daltrey and Townshend, but they lost something when Moon passed, and now without Entwistle... {shakes head}.

Speaking of Moon, though, did anyone else hear that Mike Myers (Shrek) is slated to play Moon in some upcoming biopic???

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I got it from this page, but didn't find it on the site they link to.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. I really, really hope they come to South Florida. I missed their 30th anniversary tour when they came close to me and I was so pissed. Rush is in my top 5 favorite bands all-time and Geddy Lee is one of my favorite bassists.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I don't see anything about this on Rush's homepage. Are we sure this is true?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Speaking of Moon, though, did anyone else hear that Mike Myers (Shrek) is slated to play Moon in some upcoming biopic???

I had heard that...I think I read it in Entertainment Weekly.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
I don't see anything about this on Rush's homepage. Are we sure this is true?

Hmmm, it is odd that it's not on rush.com yet. I remember during the 1997-2001 interregnum there were lots of rumors about upcoming albums that didn't happen. So there is precedent for incorrect reports about their plans ... But hopefully this is really true!
Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
He should tour with John Ashcroft.

"Let the Eagle soaaaar"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
It is about time for a new album. So glad to hear that it's at least starting to come along. Man, I agree that Vapor Trails wasn't one of their better albums.

Although the Rush in Rio concert DVD was a pretty good show! [Smile]

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Dav- I have heard other quotes from Geddy and Alex of work on a new album in a few other places in the last couple months. This is just the first I've heard of an actual timeline.

And yes, Rush in Rio is fantastic. It was a pretty great setlist. And Alex rambling during La Villa Strangiato? Hilarious. [Big Grin]

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweeeeet.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

For those who questioned whether this was just a rumor... I have a new link!

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/index.html

Neil talks about working on the new album last month in Toronto. Check out the excerpt from an email he wrote about a quarter way down the page. Good stuff.

Oh, and a different excerpt near the bottom of the page:

quote:
On the drive back yesterday, I did have the opportunity to listen to the new songs with some objectivity, in my favorite listening environment, and I wanted to tell you I think they are great! The freshest stuff we have done since — well, ever!

As I intuited when I first heard your song sketches, there is something very different about the character of these songs, and I’m really pleased by that.

[ June 30, 2006, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Jeni
Member # 1454

I thought I'd share my latest news. The word on the web is that the new Rush album, titled "Snakes and Arrows," is scheduled to hit the shelves May 1. The first single from the album, "Far Cry," will be released on radio March 13. Tour should begin mid-June.

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=347988

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Does naming a song after a video game constitute jumping the shark? [Razz]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
It's been rumored that both AC/DC and The Who are at work on new albums, as well.

I was 50% right here. Because The Who did release a new album.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
AAHHH! I love Rush. I disagree with the Vapor Trails haters. I thought that was an awesome album, just very poorly produced.

I can't WAIT until May. I need new Rush NOW!

Top 3 favorite bands: Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, with Spock's Beard/Neal Morse a close fourth.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sweet.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Vapor Trails has some amazing muscianship and is an interesting songwriting direction. I don't have any problem with the production value either.

It's just that the songs, almost all of them, are not really finished out. They went for a more imporvisational feel, and left the songs a lot more raw and un-arranged than normal and it shows. A lot. they (mostly) don't go anywhere and are a little longer and more repetitive than they should be ("Sweet Miracle" being the *glaring* exception and one of their best songs ever, I think). I thought what they played live went over well, but I don't listen to that CD a whole lot. I think it's daring and interesting, but I just don't enjoy it very much. I *do* enjoy listening to individual songs off of it... but I can't take the whole CD in one sitting, usually.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, Project 86 has a new CD coming out in June.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may be missing something Jim-Me. Ceiling Unlimited is friggin amazing, in spite of having a serious flaw with the fade-out. When the play it live, they end with the hard riff that comes next earlier in the song. Freeze is repetitious, but the repetition causes a incredible climax (not to mention the awesome time sig changes in the song). Secret Touch is just a monster. So is Peacable Kindom. Earthshine can put you in a trance if you're in the right place; and how about the super-subtle half-time feel in the chorus of The Stars Look Down, one of Rush's most beautiful songs? I don't know, I think you're missing something. Best CD they'd done since Signals, if you ask me.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

I like Vapor Trails, though it isn't one of my favorites. The sound quality wasn't that clear to my ears. An overly "hot" mix (if you rip a VP track to a .wav and look at it in a sound editor, you can see how clipped it is) combined with Alex getting carried away with lots of overdubs kind of reduced the clarity too much for my taste.

Even so, I still like it and listen to it. "Ghost Rider", "Earthshine", and "Secret Touch" are all especially good for me.

I'm really curious what "Snakes and Arrows" will be like. And I'm curious what kinds of subjective and contradictory opinions everyone will have about it [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Don't disagree with any of those, individually, Biggle. The end of, well, pretty much all of, "Secret Touch" in particular is very cool. There's great music on it, it's just not as meticulously crafted... which is what they were going for. It's all good.

Perhaps the best way to put it is that it takes too much work to listen to... which doesn't mean that the careful listener isn't rewarded.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Regardless of which songs you like or don't like, you have to admit every note Geddy Lee hits has more talent in it thatn 99% of the crap that gets played on the radio these days.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:

Perhaps the best way to put it is that it takes too much work to listen to... which doesn't mean that the careful listener isn't rewarded.

We are talking about Rush, here.

Yeah, the sound quality sucks, though. This is an album to hear live.

I don't like Ghost Rider (though I liked the book). That song and Nocturne are my least favorites on the CD.

Jeni
Member # 1454

http://www.fmqbproductions.com/epks/2007/rush/content/rush_farcry_clip.mp3
Mr.Intel
Member # 10057

- posted      Profile for Mr.Intel   Email Mr.Intel         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links, Jeni. I've been a Rush fan since middle school (Power Windows) and it warms my heart to see a new album emerge after all they've been through (especially Neil).

The clip was a little, well, clipped, but it sounds good, despite its connection with the video game. [Wink]

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard their new song tonight and it ounded good to me. And I'm not even a rush fan.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Yes the new single can now be found in its entirety on rush.com. I have a feeling I am going to like this album much better than Vapor Trails. [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I missed this till just now... I do like the new song.

Is there any info on what "Snakes and Arrows" means?

Dav
Member # 8217

"Snakes and Arrows" is an ancient Hindu game, which was a precursor to the modern game "Chutes and Ladders". It has something to do with the journey of the soul.

At least, that's what I've gathered from various web sites when I tried to figure it out ... Any experts on Hindu culture around here who can explain it more?

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm definitely buying this album.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I was 50% right here. Because The Who did release a new album.
The Who's touring as well.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm expecting the new Metallica album. Supposedly, it's supposed to be more like Master of Puppets. And there will be solos. It could be a return to form for them.
Jeni
Member # 1454

What does everyone think of the new album?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just listened to the Great White North album a couple of weeks ago. I mention this because of Geddy Lee's "Gu-lu-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku"ing in the title song.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

I think it's excellent. I don't know yet whether I'll consider it one of their greatest albums ever, but I'm enjoying getting to know the songs.

It seems to me that Far Cry was actually the least "Snakes & Arrows"-ish song of all of them, and it's also probably my favorite so far.

And I really love all three of the instrumentals. Each one of those is cool in its own way. I hope they play them live!

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr....Fox News is dead to me.

quote:
Rush is back. The big hair, fake falsetto heavy metal group that made the 1980s so irrelevant musically sold 84,000 copies for Atlantic Records last week with a new album called "Snakes & Arrows." Never underestimate the low standards of the buying public, I guess. Journey, Poison, shoulder pads and perms shouldn't be too far behind at this rate.
Big hair? Fake falsetto? Comparing them to Poison?

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Clearly that person has no business writing entertainment news. Heavy metal? Back?

Anyway, I still haven't really listened to Snakes and Arrows all the way through. So far the standouts to me are all the instrumental tracks, especially The Main Monkey Business. The only other song that caught my ear so far is Bravest Face.

I am really enjoying this album - I think it's much, much better than Vapor Trails. It's a much fresher, newer sound than I expected.

The one thing about it that is throwing me off is the vocals. The timing of them in a lot of parts just seems really odd - they don't mesh well with the music at all. It's distracting. Anyone else feeling that way?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.