FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrackian Film and Literature List - Now Printable (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrackian Film and Literature List - Now Printable
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
While collecting the names of authors recommended on Hatrack, I thought it might be a good idea to compile all the book recommendation threads into one list. For reasons obvious to any long-time Hatracker , I didn't get all of them - but here is my attempt.

If you find a better bibliography/website for an author than the one listed, or if you want to add a title, please post here.

If you otherwise find an error, please e-mail me.

[ November 02, 2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really cool, Euripides. [Smile]

I know I was one of the people who recommended Kay Kenyon once upon a time, I was thrilled to see her on your list. If anyone wants to know what book of hers to start with, they are all stand alones, and I think Tropic of Creation is her best so far.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks Belle. I've added that title under Kenyon.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is seriously impressive! I think I will have to bookmark it for future library trips. [Smile]

I just skimmed it for right now, but I did notice that while you have Cyrano de Bergerac listed as an author (which he was), you don't have Edmond Rostand listed. He wrote the play Cyrano de Bergerac, which is probably where that name is best known from.

Also (a nitpick), under Robin Hobb, the Tawny Man trilogy actually comes last chronologically, after Farseer and Liveship. I wasn't sure if you were necessarily listing titles in order, but the other series titles seemed to be listed sequentially.

How long did it take you to compile all that? I don't think it was all just from one thread, or even five threads. Anyway, thanks! I quite appreciate it. [Smile]

Edit: One more - The Mozart Season is by Virginia Euwer Wolff.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks Nell [Smile] I've added Rostand and fixed the mix-up with the Wolffs and Woolfs. Regarding Hobb, I put series entries above stand-alone novels, just for consistency. The books are chronological within the series but stand-alones are alphabetised.

Thanks for pointing those things out.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, got it. I should have realized that, but that's what I get for skimming. Plus it's WAY past my bedtime. [Wink]

I went back and looked at Robin Hobb more carefully (again with the skimming), and I don't think you realized this - all her books are parts of trilogies. The Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man trilogies are all set in the same world, with some character crossover between them. This is their chronological order:

The Farseer Trilogy - Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest
The Liveship Traders Trilogy - Ship of Magic, Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny
The Tawny Man Trilogy - Fool's Errand, Golden Fool, Fool's Fate

Shaman's Crossing is the first book of the Soldier's Son trilogy. I don't know what the next books will be called, though. I don't think she's named them yet.

Also, robinhobb.com is the author's homepage. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Hopefully I've got it right now. As you must have guessed I haven't yet read any Hobb - my loss. I even had Liveship Traders down as a stand-alone novel! Just goes to show that I'm not cut out for clerical work!

According to Wikipedia the next two novels after Shaman's Crossing are going to be called Forest Mage and Renegade Magic. If you don't mind I'll keep the link to the wikipedia article, since robinhobb.com doesn't have a bibliography, which is more what I was looking for. But thanks again for the corrections.

I didn't mean to ignore your other question in your previous post - I split the time up over about a week or so, and took the names from as many book rec threads as I could find.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, that's one hell of an impressive list.

Some additions:

"Arrow of God" under Chinua Achebe.

Specifically for Khalil Gibrab "The Prophet"

It's Lois, not Louis Lowry, I'm almost positive.

Also three authors I didn't see on your list. Michael (and Jeff!) Shaara, who started off with "The Killer Angels," and was followed by his son with "Gods and Generals" and "The Last Full Measure" all books about the Civil War, and all excellent.

And Joseph Conrad. "Heart of Darkness" especially is a classic. But beyond that, "Under Western Eyes" and "Lord Jim" are also great. And also "Nostromo." He also has a ton of short stories, but I'd suggest buying a collection of them, rather than all separately, if you even can buy them separately.

I'd suggest adding "Truman" to your list of David McCullough books.

Kudos on Thomas Madden's "Concise History of the Crusades" it's a fantastic book and a great read!

If you'll permit me, there are quite a few books I'd like to add to your more historically oriented subcategories, but It's a bit late at the moment for me to remember them all. Tomorrow I'll post some additions if you don't mind.

One last thing, suggest adding "My Ishmael" to your Daniel Quinn list, it's the sequel to "Ishmael."

Edit to add: Also please add "The Dubliners" to James Joyce. I read it in high school and my writing was changed forever by the imagery in that book.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

You're right about Lois Lowry, Lyrhawn. Thank you. Good call on Conrad! I've added your other recommendations - and feel free to post others when you like.

One of these days I might sneak in some of my own favourites as well.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest the following additions:

for Chrichton, add:
timeline
sphere
congo
as some of his best work in my opinion

for David Brin, add:
The Postman (for all us post-apocalyptic nuts)

and if you care to list them for Peter F Hamilton:
Reality Dysfunction
Neutronium Alchemist
Naked God

and I'd suggest adding
Frank, Pat:
Alas, Babylon

incredible work though, and I know I hope to make good use of it.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe we've mentioned more of Adams' work than just his first book. And I think it's safe to say that both Martin and Pratchett had particularly "glowing" reviews.

Additionally, Good Omens is not a Discworld book, but rather a standalone written with Neil Gaiman.

And why would Neil Gaiman not be a "speculative fiction" writer, along with King? I'm not sure I understand your distinctions, and wonder whether it'd be easier to note the genre as a property of the book rather than trying to use those properties to define a list of authors.

[ June 15, 2006, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is awesome. Fantastic job.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very, very cool.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

O.O

That is so incredible, Euripides!

Some mistakes I spotted:

EDIT: Is Laura Ingalls Wilder 'historical fiction'? It was written in the past, not looking too far back, as it were.

Also I would question Daphne Du Maurier's "Rebecca" placed in Historical Fiction, because, again, it's set in the time it was written in.

Sean McMullen's book is called "Eyes of the Calculor" not "Eyes of the Calculator".

[ June 15, 2006, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
That is one impressive list. [Smile]

You should add Steppenwolf to Herman Hesse. That is a truly amazing book.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic. Thanks.

Every single work of speculative fiction that I have read during the past 6 years has been a Hatrack recommendation. And I have to say that ya'll have not failed me.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
How about adding a webcomic section? Since that's my own personal obsession.

Or a list of editorial writers we like to read? Like Dave Berry or Chris Bridges?

TV series you shouldn't miss like LOST and BSG?

This is a great resource!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
This is amazing. That took a lot of work, and will now be responsible for both my Netflix queue and my library list [Smile] .
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks for all the feedback and corrections everyone. I knew there would be plenty of errors but this is a bit embarassing. [Frown] But keep them coming - I'd rather find out sooner than later.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
[...] Additionally, Good Omens is not a Discworld book, but rather a standalone written with Neil Gaiman. [...]

Thanks - not sure how that ended up there! Also, the other books under Pratchett are not Discworld books either, since they're not indented.

quote:
[...] I'm not sure I understand your distinctions, and wonder whether it'd be easier to note the genre as a property of the book rather than trying to use those properties to define a list of authors.
Ideally I would have liked to do that as well. The main reason I didn't do so is because maintaining the list could easily become a part-time job! But I've left open the option of doubling up on an author - Orwell for example is in HF&SF with 1984, and under Other Fiction with Animal Farm (I wasn't sure how to categorise allegory).

I divided it up into two groups because they were more useful to me that way. I mainly look up Hatrack recommendation threads for either good speculative fiction, or for classics and other books which would help to educate myself. So I wanted the SF and fantasy writers in one place, with everyone else in another. The 'Other Fiction' was to contain mostly those classics and contemporary fiction. Basically, I want anyone with one of those purposes in mind to be able to get away with looking at only one list, and seeing not always specific titles but author's names they can look out for at the bookstore.

That way, soemone looking for OSC-like SF doesn't have to wade through Joyce and Austen, and vice versa for people looking for classics. So generally I put authors in categories depending upon which type of visitor would be looking for them.

But the errors you pointed out have been corrected - thanks. Just explaining my reasoning. I've added a bit to the explanations at the beginning of each category.

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
How about adding a webcomic section? Since that's my own personal obsession.

Or a list of editorial writers we like to read? Like Dave Berry or Chris Bridges?

TV series you shouldn't miss like LOST and BSG?

This is a great resource!

Pix

Sure, that would be great. I would need some help though - I'm even less familiar with web comics than I am with speculative fiction writers (the reason I made the list in the first place). TV series shouldn't be that difficult - we can just start here. Some that I can think of that Hatrackers seem to like:

Alias
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Lost
Stargate SG-1
Star Trek: The Original Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyage
Star Trek: Enterprise

Just add others as you think of them, and once we have enough I'll append it to the list.

I'm also not familiar enough with editorial authors (I usually don't note their names), but would be happy to add a list if people can come up with one. I'm also thinking of adding a list of books mentioned in the forwards and afterwards of the Enderverse books. I should have that covered though.

Thanks again everyone.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no! Did Good Omens go away altogether? It's my favorite Pratchett book -- although Small Gods is a close second -- and I'd hate to think I killed it. *laugh*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Sex and the City is my all time favorite TV show...
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Good Omens is now back under Gaiman [Smile]

I think what originally happened there was a copy and mis-paste.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I would add Buffy and Angel to that list of TV shows.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Ok - I'll keep the list in this post and keep updating it as people add to it.

Alias
Angel
Arrested Development
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica
Boy Meets World
Buffy
Deadwood
Dr. Who
Entourage
Farscape
Firefly
Frasier
Futurama
House
Lost
Malcolm in the Middle
Scrubs
Sex and the City
Stargate SG-1
Star Trek: The Original Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Veronica Mars
West Wing

[ June 24, 2006, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Good Omens was co-authored by Pratchett and Gaiman. [Smile] Forgive me.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Frasier
Arrested Development
Malcolm in the Middle

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Veronica Mars
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
I have been hoping for this for a long time.
Thank you so very much for all your effort!
Could this be a sticky thread, maybe, or in another spot, so we don;t need to search for it?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Glad you found it useful [Smile] This thread shouldn't have to be a sticky, since the list will always be in the same place. Also, there's a link to this thread on the list's page, so hopefully no one will have to run a search to find it.
Euripides
Member # 9315

As recommended I went and got a copy of American Gods today - and just in time too, since I managed to get one of the few remaining signed copies!

Turns out Gaiman was in Sydney for the writer's festival.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
For the TV list:
Entourage
Scrubs

And Euripides, this is absolutely brilliant. Thanks.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
House
Dr Who

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Good Omens was co-authored by Pratchett and Gaiman. [Smile] Forgive me.

I should have caught it myself [Frown]

Thanks Celaeno and kwsni - I've added your shows.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for the work! I came here sure I'd have to dig the posts for a list and there it is, all done! I'm going to use and abuse this. [Smile] [Kiss]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
TV:
Farscape
West Wing

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Thanks Anna and Grimace [Smile]
Euripides
Member # 9315

How about science journals (Edit: and magazines)? I'll start the list if I may with:

Archaeology
MIT Technology Review
Natural History
Nature
New Scientist
Scientific American

[ June 22, 2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not call either of those a science journal. They are popular science publications, appropriately called science magazines.

For a science journal, look at Nature. Science News, though it bills itself a science newsmagazine, is also closer to being a scientific journal than either New Scientist or Scientific American.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I stand corrected. I meant 'science journal' only loosely.
Euripides
Member # 9315

So to clarify - I'll take both magazines and journals, as long as they're science related. I'll put Nature on the list, since it's bound to be recommended.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a really great list, but I'd like to see some kind of system to distinguish the "must reads" on the list. There are lots of books on there that I have read and are okay, but are not knock-down, flat-out amazing. Those I'd love to see some way to highlight or something.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
TV show- Boy Meets World

Books: Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
Roots- Alex Haley
and a link to the OSC library page.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

PC: the problem is this is all a matter of opinion, there is at least one book on there that I know people who have claimed it to be fantastic and a must-read, and apparently at least one on this board agrees even though I consider it absolute drivel...

now if we hosted some kind of public rating of each entry then sure (a-la imdb or other rating systems) but it would be a lot more work, if helpful.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I mean, there's no sure way to tell if I'll like a book or if it is worth reading. Consensus is really the only way to get close to the mark.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Books: Ayn Rand - Anthem

Webcomics:
MegaTokyo - Megatokyo.com
The Order Of The Stick - http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript
PVP - pvponline.com
Something*Positive - somethingpositive.net
Dominic Deegan - www.dominic-deegan.com

Webcomics by Jatraqueras:
Green Avenger - http://www.green-avenger.com/
(my own) Crossroads of Booger County - cobc.comicgenesis.com

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
It's a really great list, but I'd like to see some kind of system to distinguish the "must reads" on the list. There are lots of books on there that I have read and are okay, but are not knock-down, flat-out amazing. Those I'd love to see some way to highlight or something.

Thanks PC - when you say that some of the books there are ok but not amazing, are you talking about the ones which are already highlighted? I've highlighted (in yellow) most authors who were repeatedly recommended on Hatrack or appeared in the results of a poll Hatrackers took at sakeriver. At least in the SF section, the authors highlighted have in fact recieved very high praise on this forum.

Also, the list is meant to be one of books and films Hatrackers paid attention to, rather than of those which were unanimously praised. That is, there are also books there which were simply discussed often, or Hatrackers found controversial, as the blurb at the top of the list says. Otherwise, I would probably be taking Battlefield Earth off the list [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
TV show- Boy Meets World

Books: Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
Roots- Alex Haley
and a link to the OSC library page.

Added your show and Roots. BNW is in the SF section and the link to the OSC library is at the beginning of the page [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
[...] now if we hosted some kind of public rating of each entry then sure (a-la imdb or other rating systems) but it would be a lot more work, if helpful.

If we can get a poll going, that would be great - I can highlight the true 'must-reads' in another colour.

Thanks for the list of webcomics, Pixiest - I'll append it once people have had a chance to add to it.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Here's a coupla links to threads where we've discussed webcomics =) (I told you, they're an obsession of mine)

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=043392;p=0&r=nfx
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=033280;p=0&r=nfx

Euripides
Member # 9315

Ok - the web comics list is up.

Is there a place we could run this poll, or are most people happy with the currently highlighted authors?

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a poll would be fun, but I doubt that I'd find it particularly useful. A lot of authors that I know would get the most votes are also authors that I know I don't like.

So really, I think it depends on whether you want to go to the trouble of making a poll.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.