FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Race in these United States (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Race in these United States
Ionienne
Member # 9393

- posted      Profile for Ionienne   Email Ionienne         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. Our problem is nobody can't admit it is "racial problems", so we call it "social issues"... weird country, huh? But, those so famous riots are not really due to racism. There were really social problems, protests from the "lower classe". It would be more a racism between classes if you want.

I never pretended that my country has less racial problems than others, I am sorry if my way of writing said it. It may be hypocrisis from our language not to accept the word "race" when considering different people, especially that we still consider the differences.

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I went to a school that was about 1/4th American, 2/3rds Chinese and a sprinkling of just about every other country you could think of.

A question to clarify: were the Chinese kids not American?
Went to school in Hong Kong, China. So the Chinese kids were 100% Chinese.
Ah, thanks. I was confused. I need to stop assuming that everyone on Hatrack grew up in either the US or the UK.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ionienne-
No, no too a weird country at all. We face similar 'social problems' here, but they are often along racial lines, so they get called racial problems.

I think I understand what you are saying about language differences, thanks!

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Race isn't even a scientific concept. There's so much genetic mixing that it doesn't really make scientific sense to look at it or try to define it, which would be impossible. It's purely a social construct. I've taken to putting down "other" on things that ask me my race, just as a matter of principle.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
But my point was partly that this kind of acting out on facebook, or anywhere, would be unnacceptable if the races took different roles. There can be no "white students against white girls dating black men." Even that doesn't include the derogative language of the above group, which would be something like "skanky ganster black men," or what have you. Of course that would be totally unfair, injurious, an ad hominim attack against a group that isn't even a group, just some phantom enemy.
Didn't I tell you that I'm pretty sure the group was a joke? I mean, I'm in the "Hit that B*tch with a Bottle" Facebook group, and I don't go around busting bottles of champagne upside people's heads on a regular basis.

It's Facebook.
-pH

I know its just Facebook, but seriously, this group is either totally serious, or it has about the least developed sense of irony I have ever seen. It is not a funny joke if it is a joke, and it doesn't seem to be a joke (in the sense that it was not intended to be humorous, even if it is a "cosmic joke" as we say).

I myself am a member of "Pedophiles, Crackheads, Beer," because the group is an obvious joke. I would not however, find it funny to be a member of "Get out of our country you *** Mexicans" or something similar. I can just imagine the "joke" quality in that, laughing maniacally in an eerily quiet room, and a security guard putting a hand on my shoulder, leaning in and saying quietly, "Sir, I think its time to say goodnight."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.