FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fat Discrimination and Fat Rights (Page 11)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Fat Discrimination and Fat Rights
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't seem particularly skinny in person. Honestly. The first guy I dated (many, many years ago) was about your size - not quite as tall - so maybe my frame of reference is off.

I haven't spent too much time looking at the pictures. I need to maintain some decorum at work. Way too hot for work. I would have guessed that you have put on some weight since the pics, but that could be angle.

I know that I am always horrified (though I should be used to it) at myself in pictures and am less so in the mirror.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Some magazines cheat more than others,(The one you linked to and Cosmo and others in that genre for sure) However I picked Vogue because it is much more into the artistic aspect of things, and the focus is on the clothes, so they don't airbrush in the same way other magazines do. I'm not saying they never airbrush, but the Vogue photographers also are very arty and take pride in their shooting abilities and also take some offence if their photography is messed with significantly. They also get models they don't need to airbrush as long as they are well made up.

And Vouge's standard models that I observed don't have large breasts either. Generally if they get a celeb in to do modelling, the celeb is more curvaceous than a standard Vogue model.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I have untouched photographs from the high end photoshoot used in the Ann Taylor Catalog. The model was a French Chanel model and the pictures happened to include a puppy I bred (why I have them) They might have done a bit of color toning between the originals and the publication, but they didn't airbrush anything.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't bother because they knew that with the total cuteness of the puppy no one would be looking at the model anyway.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
They didn't bother because they knew that with the total cuteness of the puppy no one would be looking at the model anyway.

This is why I HAVE a dog.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also in stills they contort the models into much more non-normal poses than they can do on the runway, though even on the runway the poses aren't exactly "normal human" either.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

This is a sidetrack from my original point though...is the film industry wrong for selecting humans that end up looking better on camera, even if it is a bias towards thinness? Is this actually true discrimination against fat people?

It's also easier to take a thin body, and modify it with costumes and makeup and adding and subtracting layers to get a final effect than it is a heavier body. It's easier to theatrically add curves than remove them. Look at drag queens.

AJ

kmbboots
Member # 8576

I have always understood that the fashion industry is at least partly resonsible for the current thinness fad. Current styles tend to look better on thin.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Are ideas of beauty are almost identical to Gręco-Roman views, which cannot have been influenced by the fashion industry. With the exception of a few brief periods, western culture has valued being thin for millenia.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

This is certainly not my understanding. As I recall, in most Greek art (for example) the male organ is itsy-bitsy.

Way too much tummy on most of those Venuses (Veni?) I would fit right in with Rubens or even Titian.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

*Grin* I just figured out that I like the Venus(es) because most of them have long torsos like me.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

A Google image search of “greek statue” does not seem to support your claim. Even the “slim” figures are rounded with no bones visible.

http://shadow.eas.gatech.edu/~kdarmenova/paris/Greek_statue.jpg

http://www.thom.org/photos/ENBMroman1.jpg

http://www.meenaimports.com/shop/images/bather.jpg

http://cartelfr.louvre.fr/pub/fr/image/12626_gv023198.001.jpg

http://www.statue.com/images/the-kiss-statue.jpg

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kiss isn't exactly a greek statute, its a Rodin [Wink]

But yes, Greek ideals of beauty are definitely different from those today, though they certainly have a significant (I almost wrote 'heavy') influence.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Good point. I thought it looked familiar. Blame Google, though, I just linked 'em.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if we really want to talk long-term, multi-millennial aesthetics, I think we shouldn't fail to look at prehistory
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yay! It's the the Venus of Willendorf. I was hoping she'd show up!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You always know when she's around!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I would argue that the Venus de Milo, bryan.parno.net, and the thousands of statues of Antinous, http://www.artefino.ch/ARTISTS/Mapplethorpe/Antinous,%201987.jpg define our concepts of female and male beauty today as much as they did then. Yes, Reubans and Titian liked large women, but El Greco was also a near-contemporary of Titian and his figures are all tall and emaciated http://www.bramarte.it/500/img/el%20greco21.jpg

Fatness tends to be valued in socities were famine is likely but not in wealthier ones, for obvious reasons.

"the male organ is itsy-bitsy." In most instances, it is actualy missing, having been vandalized.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's really gross the amount of airbrushing they do to photos in magazines. I thought they would do it for close ups of faces to make their pores unnoticable and their skin flawless, which is kind of stupid because everyone has pores and skin that isn't the same color all the way through. But then I saw a TV show, I think it was, about what they do to photos. Not just airbrushing skin, but those things mph mentioned too. It's amazing... I couldn't imagine being a star and feeling very self-conscious making an appearance IRL and don't look anything like my photos in Cosmo.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
erso, sorry, I parsed your post to be speaking in the hypothetical and didn't realize you had seen the ad.
It's alright (also, it's eros, or eroso, why does everyone always omit the first damn "o"? [Wink] ). I've actually never seen the print ad; I see the Dove commercial on TV.

quote:
What is unattractive about them? They are not even "fat". They are probably size 8 or 10. Nothing morbidly unhealthy about them.
Well, several things:

1) Like I said, the ad is purely cosmetic. It takes a pretty significant amount of physical beauty to get me to label you as attractive if I have nothing else to judge you by.

2) Call it what you want, but I'm attracted primarily to height-weight proportional women. Now that I think about it, I've never gone out (or whatever) with anyone larger than a size...6? Before anyone asks; no, this isn't a conscious choice.

3) I'm young, and I'm much more easily attracted to people my age; the people in the ad ranged from my age to what appeared to be their 60's.

4) Partly because of where I grew up (Hawaii, with its ridiculously high Asian American pop density), I'm typically much more attracted to east Asian features.

Please note that my observation was not directed individually at every person in the ad, but rather at the ad generally.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
"the male organ is itsy-bitsy." In most instances, it is actualy missing, having been vandalized.
Actually, sort of the opposite of vandalized since it wasn't Vandals, but Romans (specifically the Pope) who ordered the mutilation.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Ha-ha, funny. Theodosius I was, in fact, the great vadal, although Christians in general are largely to blame.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
2) Call it what you want, but I'm attracted primarily to height-weight proportional women. Now that I think about it, I've never gone out (or whatever) with anyone larger than a size...6? Before anyone asks; no, this isn't a conscious choice.

Someone who wears a size 8 or 10 is height-weight proportional.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
quote:

Someone who wears a size 8 or 10 is height-weight proportional.
How do you know, without knowing how tall they are?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't drop the first o, I typo'd the last two letters. [Wink]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Bzzzzt! The scrawny models are real people too.

Bzzz! Incorrect (at least in excess of 80% (of print ads in magazines and billboards and the like), according to a friend of mine "in the biz")!

They are airbrushed people.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious to see the women in the Dove commercial that Erosomniac believes are unattractive.

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287&src=InsideCampaign_firming

In case anyone else was interested.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

While I don't recognize faces, the ones on TV have at least two or three different people, one of them appearing to be about 40, and one of them at least 60.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Those women do not appear "large" to me. They appear to be normal sized people instead of model sized people.

Honestly, if you are incapable of finding any of those women attractive, there's something wrong with you.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading Marie Osmond's book about her postpartum depression, and she showed pictures in it that they'd taken after she had her baby, for publicity purposes for her show. She showed the same set of pictures twice: one set as she really looked, and one set as they were published. They'd airbrushed out any bumps or lumps and airbrushed her waist and legs (and face too, I think) to look about 20 pounds thinner than she was.

She wanted women to see that what they were actually comparing themselves to was imaginary.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were military regulation weight I would probably still be a 12 or 14. I'm taller than average, but no giant.

The size 2, 0, or (God help us all) -2 model is a product of misogynism in my opinion.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Those women do not appear "large" to me. They appear to be normal sized people instead of model sized people.

Honestly, if you are incapable of finding any of those women attractive, there's something wrong with you.

Seconded. In fact, I think these are very attractive women, just not stick figures. Were I single, I'd hit it.

Eros, man, I'd rethink your perspective on women, or you're going to be very unhappy when your wife hits thirty.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
quote:

Seconded. In fact, I think these are very attractive women, just not stick figures. Were I single, I'd hit it.

Eros, man, I'd rethink your perspective on women, or you're going to be very unhappy when your wife hits thirty.

Out of curiousity, did either of you read my response to kmbboots, wherein I explained why I'm not attracted to these women?

It sure doesn't sound like it. I'd appreciate you reading what I posted about my reasoning before you make horribly incorrect assumptions about it.

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Eros is indicating the women he was referring to are not the ladies in this shot. He hasn't said what he thinks of these ladies. Oh, I said this before I saw his last post.

Isn't there a difference between "attractive" and "attracted to"?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I have to admit that most of those women are not atractive, although this, ironicly, has more to do with their skin than their size (many of them look like they have had too many sun-bathing sessions.)
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Most of the world is not Scandinavian, thank you very much.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Out of curiousity, did either of you read my response to kmbboots, wherein I explained why I'm not attracted to these women?
Oh, I had read it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
quote:
Oh, I had read it.
I give up.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Most of the world is not Scandinavian, thank you very much, but people who are, in fact, of Northern European descent need to take steps to preserve their skin. I am currently ashen white even though this is South Texas in July. Too many days spent outside with less than enough sunscreen will probably scar me, but less than many of these women.

Let me rephrase this: the natural skin color of people of German, Scandanavian and British descent is creamy white, not red or tan.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Call it what you want, but I'm attracted primarily to height-weight proportional women. Now that I think about it, I've never gone out (or whatever) with anyone larger than a size...6?
quote:
Partly because of where I grew up (Hawaii, with its ridiculously high Asian American pop density), I'm typically much more attracted to east Asian features.
There is nothing wrong with saying "I am generally more attracted to really thin women" or "I am generally more attracted to women with East Asian features."

There is something, well, maybe not wrong, but certainly sad, when you say "I am incapable of being attracted to women who are not extremely thin" or "I am incapable of being attracted to women who do not have East Asian features."

[ July 12, 2006, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Let me rephrase this: the natural skin color of people of German, Scandanavian and British descent is creamy white, not red or tan.
Out of the six women, the only two that look like they might have done much suntanning are the second and the last one.

The first and third appear to have naturally darker skin, and the fourth and fifth have skin tone that probably is not dependent on suntanning.

At maximum, only half of those women suntan. I seriously doubt that #1, #3, or #4 suntan.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I'll put in my vote for number five being pretty close to natural skin color, because I am naturally that color sans sun.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, I'm having deja vu. [Wink]
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I am almost completely of British Isle and Scandanavian descent, and the skin color of my arms and face (the parts that get sun when I'm outside) are closest to the last one.

The parts of my body which never get the sun are white white white like #4.

I never suntan. The sun I get is from working in the garden, mowing the lawn, riding my bicycle, and the like.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Porter, I'm having deja vu. [Wink]

Yeah. I didn't go out of my way to have this conversation again. I promise!
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone should also realize that if eros is primarily attracted to East Asian women, and grew up in Hawaii, the women he grew up with are probably very peite. So when he's saying a size 6, on a woman who's 5'2" or 5'3", that's a lot different than on a 5'6" (Me!) or 5'10" woman. A 5'10" woman who's a size 6 is really thin. When I've been size 6, I've been firmly on the skinny side of normal, but not model slim. A 5'2" woman who's size 6, while still slender, is much closer to "normal." And if that's the kind of woman he's attracted to, I'm not surprised that none of the women in the ad are particularly attractive to him.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I know. But I do enjoy spectating more than participating, I think. It's a lot less rigorous.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
There is something wrong when you say "I am incapable of being attracted to women who are not extremely thin" or "I am incapable of being attracted to women who do not have East Asian features."
Who appointed you the authority to determine what is and is not wrong with someone?

People have different tastes. Some people are incapable of being attracted to individuals of a certain race. Or a certain gender. Or a certain hair color. Or a certain height. Or thousands of other reasons.

If he likes thin women, that's his choice, and quite frankly it's none of your business.

I can't relate to his tastes, as at least two or three of those women I find attractive (possibly four). But I certainly can't tell him there's something wrong with him.

Edit: Darn editing rendering my post largely irrelevant! [Wink]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lalo:
quote:

It sure doesn't sound like it. I'd appreciate you reading what I posted about my reasoning before you make horribly incorrect assumptions about it.

Whoa, fella, I meant it as banter. But if you want to take it point by point, I don't think it was unreasonable for me to believe you didn't find these women attractive:
quote:
1) Like I said, the ad is purely cosmetic. It takes a pretty significant amount of physical beauty to get me to label you as attractive if I have nothing else to judge you by.

3) I'm young, and I'm much more easily attracted to people my age; the people in the ad ranged from my age to what appeared to be their 60's.

4) Partly because of where I grew up (Hawaii, with its ridiculously high Asian American pop density), I'm typically much more attracted to east Asian features.

1) I'd say this is a significant amount of physical beauty. I'm pretty sure our tastes differ, but even if neither of us have girlfriends who look like these women, surely we can acknowledge that they're very pretty?

2) Proportional != tiny. These women are definitely proportional, just not compact -- they're certainly not grossly overweight or large.

3) I don't know how old you are, but these women look to range from 20's-30's. I don't think age is an issue here.

4) No problem if you're attracted to East Asian features -- I prefer darker skin, myself, and nobody'll criticize either of us for our own tastes. But though I'm strongly attracted to dark-skinned women, I'm perfectly capable of acknowledging the pale honey in the middle's pretty hot.

That said, heh, I'll stop harassing you -- I didn't know you were touchy on the subject, and I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. And there's no way I'd question your taste -- I hear there are women (and prison cellmates) out there who find even Frisco attractive, and whatever tastes you have are nothing to these people's depravity.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: This is eros, I'm on Squish's computer and forgot she was logged in.

quote:
There is nothing wrong with saying "I am generally more attracted to really thin women" or "I am generally more attracted to women with East Asian features."

There is something, well, maybe not wrong, but certainly sad, when you say "I am incapable of being attracted to women who are not extremely thin" or "I am incapable of being attracted to women who do not have East Asian features."

Good thing I didn't say that then, ne?

quote:
2) Proportional != tiny. These women are definitely proportional, just not compact -- they're certainly not grossly overweight or large.
Well, proportional is a purely subjective term, but if you want to treat it objectively, we can refer to our good 'ol pal the BMI, which indicates a woman 5'6" with B cup breasts and a size 6 body is obese.

quote:
3) I don't know how old you are, but these women look to range from 20's-30's. I don't think age is an issue here.
I've mentioned twice in posts between the one I directed you to and this one in which I indicated that the women I saw included women in their 40s and a woman who was at least 60.

quote:
4) No problem if you're attracted to East Asian features -- I prefer darker skin, myself, and nobody'll criticize either of us for our own tastes. But though I'm strongly attracted to dark-skinned women, I'm perfectly capable of acknowledging the pale honey in the middle's pretty hot.
The combination (where applicable) is why I do not find these women attractive. Maybe I should be clearer: just because I find them unattractive doesn't mean I think they're ugly or fat, I'm just not attracted to them.

quote:
That said, heh, I'll stop harassing you -- I didn't know you were touchy on the subject,
I'm not, and I understand you were trying to be funny so I'm sorry I reacted how I did, but this:

quote:
Is not funny. Or at least, I don't find it so.

quote:
And there's no way I'd question your taste -- I hear there are women (and prison cellmates) out there who find even Frisco attractive, and whatever tastes you have are nothing to these people's depravity.
See, by the time I'd started posting with any sort of frequency here roughly a year ago, Frisco barely posted anymore, but was mentioned in a thread that I can't remember anymore, so all I can think of when I think of who Frisco is is ketchupqueen fantasizing about him with grapeseed oil.

And those tassle pictures. Oi.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.