FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adolescent Weight Management (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adolescent Weight Management
Stasia
Member # 9122

- posted      Profile for Stasia   Email Stasia         Edit/Delete Post 
I second all of Paul Goldner's comments except one. I personally would not eat 3 - 4 cans of tuna per week. Canned (and fresh) tuna can contain high levels of mercury. I seem to be remembering Jeesh as being a teen girl (sorry if I'm wrong!). The FDA has put out an advisory that children and women of childbearing age should limit their canned tuna intake to 2 average sized meals/week of light canned tuna or 1 average sized meal of albacore tuna (plus some other type of fish that week) per week due to potentially dangerous levels of mercury.

While the FDA does not seek to limit the amount of tuna that teenagers eat, it should be noted that their brains are still growing. Additionally, if Jeesh is a female who eventually wants to have children, she should try not to build up mercury levels in her body because the mercury doesn't go away immediately when you stop consuming it. It can linger for years and if levels are high enough, damage a fetus. I've stopped eating tuna entirely. I've replaced it with canned salmon and a variety of fresh fish on the "lower mercury" list.

The first link is to the official government guidelines. The second is consumer report questioning whether the guidelines are adequate. The second link also does a better job of explaining what mercury does and what fish to eat instead.

EPA fish and mercury

Consumer Reports

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, thanks for posting that article and making me feel good, for once, about decisions my husband and I make. [Smile] Too often, as parents we second-guess what we do, but this is one thing we've always believed was important.

At the dinner table, everyone gets a chance to talk about their day and if they don't volunteer the info, we coax it out of them. That leads to some eye rolling, especially with the teen, but I do think it's important for her to know that her day and her thoughts are worthwhile and that we want to hear them.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for catching that, Stasia.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.