FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Share your favorite exercise songs.

Author Topic: Share your favorite exercise songs.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much need music to do cardio exercise, and I'd imagine I'm not alone. It sets the pace and tone of my efforts, and helps the 30-40 minutes pass without me getting bored.

I'd imagine there are plenty of people here who have their own favorite cardio tunes, and I thought that we could have a thread where people share their favorites.

My workout starts off sort of slow, and builds up in speed from there. My first ten minutes are basically a warm-up, and my last ten I am pretty much sprinting. So I like to have a mix of medium-fast to very-fast songs.

I usually start with one warm-up song, and then if I feel ready I switch to some medium paced songs, or I pick another warm-up song. I'll usually finish my work-out with about three sprinting songs, to really push myself. These categories aren't strict by any means, I sometimes mix them all around.

Mine are mostly hard-rock songs, because that is what I know. I'd love to hear suggestions outside that genre though.

Warm-Up:
Mudvayne - World So Cold
Nine Inch Nails - Every Day Is Exactly The Same (and other slowish starting NIN songs)
Staind - For You (and other slowish starting Staind songs)
Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body

In Between Warm-Up and Sprinting:
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
The Who - Teenage Wasteland
Our Lady Piece - Starseed
Nine Inch Nails - Only (and several other relatively faster songs, like Terrible Lie, The Perfect Drug, etc.)
Filter/The Crystal Method - Trip Like I Do
Rob Zombie - Dragula, Living Dead Girl, etc.

Sprinting:
Jimmy Eat World - The Sweetness
Punjabi MC - Mundian To Bach Ke (I think it is this one, I'll have to check my MP3 player)
Linkin Park - Faint
Mudvayne - Not Falling

The Punjabi MC song is just wonderful for getting you moving, and keeping you moving. It's a crazy rap song in what I would assume is Hindi. It has a traditional Indian tune, with a hip-hop beat, and some very fun and exciting vocals which I couldn't begin to understand. Its pretty much an ideal work-out song, because it really makes you want to move. Niki highly recommends this one as well.

I use Not Falling as my staple for getting me to push myself, especially when I am feeling like quitting. For me, it pretty much does the trick guaranteed. Last night there was five minutes left on my 35 minute work-out and I still had plenty of energy, so I turned the resistance on the machine up and just powered through those five minutes to this song. The only problem with playing it at the end is that it gets my pumped up, and I am tempted to keep going.

Okay guys, your turn! For my own interests, I've few very good sprinting songs, and tunes which make you push harder and go faster I am especially interested in.

[ July 26, 2006, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
My current line-up is:

Foo Fighters: All My Life
Franz Ferdinand: This Fire
Guns & Roses: Mr. Brownstone
Aerosmith: Baby Please Don't Go
Fall Out Boy: Dance, Dance
My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult: After The Flesh
NIN: The Hand That Feeds
Pearl Jam: Lukin
Prodigy: Firestarter
Rolling Stones: Paint it Black
STP: Sex Type Thing
System of a Down: BYOB
System of a Down: Bounce
Prodigy: Firestarter

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of your list, I will probably try out Rolling Stones: Paint it Black at a minimum. [Smile]
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to wait until I get home to check my iPod, but I use a lot of bouncy 80's girl-pop, both for exercising and for things like mowing the lawn. (I use a reel mower, no motor, and treat it as exercise.)
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sprinting:
Edvard Grieg: In the Hall of the Mountain King

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
the Too Fat Polka
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to the same stuff for everything, all the time.

Prodigy - Breathe
Head Automatica - At the Speed of a Yellow Bullet (GREAT warm up song)
Head Automatica - Brooklyn is Burning
Head Automatica - Beating Heart Baby
Head Automatica - Please Please Please
Head Automatica - Dance Party Plus
Head Automatica - I Shot William H. Macy
DCfC - What Sara Said
DCfC - Brothers on a Hotel Bed
Queens of the Stone Age - Feel Good Hit of the Summer
Any extended Happy Hardcore / DnB mix.
Placebo - Brick Shithouse
Placebo - Days Before You Came
Placebo - English Summer Rain
Jimmy Eat World - Pain
Arctic Monkeys - The View From the Afternoon
Cinematic Orchestra - Flite
Daft Punk - Superheroes
Daft Punk - High Life
Daft Punk - Human After All
Daft Punk - Robot Rock
Daft Punk - Steam Machine
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Whatever Happened to My Rock'n'Roll
Radiohead - 2+2=5
Radiohead - Sit Down, Stand Up
The Notwist - One With the Freaks

Edited to specify head automatica songs, because not all of them are good work out songs.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Walking On Sunshine - Christina and the Waves
Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles

And Jean Michel Jarre's album Images.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered
Michael Jackson - Just Good Friends, Workin Day and Night
Earth, Wind, and Fire - September, Sing a Song

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Work out music, eh?

My favorite music to run to would be mostly the same category as my favorite music in general. Lesse, tops would be *goes down library in iTunes* everything by (since you really, really don't want me listing every single song) .... Apocalyptica, Dog Fashion Disco, Fantômas, KODA, Melt-Banana, Mindless Self Indulgence, Mr. Bungle, the pAper chAse, Rasputina, Skinny Puppy, System of a Down, Tub Ring, Yanni ('cept not the boring ballads), Amon Tobin, Massive Attack (only Mezzanine), Secret Chiefs 3, Missy Elliot, the Roots, Sepultura, Stone Sour, Rob Zombie, and Static X. Yeah, I listen to a lot of music.

Just be glad you didn't ask what we *worked* to.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Massive Attack (only Mezzanine)
That makes me so sad. Blue Lines is such a good album! So is 100th Window!
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Oh I LOVE all of Massive Attack. I was listing what I would *work out* to [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
You're telling me no one else gets pumped up the "Eye of the Tiger"? [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Refused - Liberation Frequency is a song I used to listen to regularly when running, bikeriding, or freestyling.

That whole Refused album "The Shape of Punk to Come" is a great album to workout to in my opinion.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't listen to music when i work out. But the Rocky music always gets me motivated to work out. That and early Offspring.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the support Strider...and being in Philadelphia, I can run up the actual Rocky steps while listening.

I don't...but I could.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
No. Apart from the first ten seconds.... no.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
the Too Fat Polka

That's a great song.

"She's-a too fat for me!"

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"But she's just right for me!"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually pick my workout music by the album rather than the song, since I try to keep going as long as possible. I have a ton of great music for working out, but my all-time top favorite albums are as follows:

Prodigy: Fat of the Land (Songs for the Jilted Generation is very good too, but not to that transcendently brilliant level)

BT: Movement in Still Life and Emotional Technology. (All BT albums are great, but these two are the best for working out. The farthest I've ever run in an hour I did to Emotional Technology.)

Propellerheads: Decksanddrumsandrockandroll. (I really wish these guys had come out with more than one album. It's some of the best techno ever, and high energy from start to finish, without ever getting repetitive.)

Those are the best of the best for me. But you really can't go wrong with Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Orbital, Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, George Acosta, Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto, the Run Lola Run soundtrack, Gnarls Barkley, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Rammstein or Metallica. All those are unconditionally guaranteed to get the heart rate up.

BTW, Daft Punk is good too, a song at a time. But my ears get numb if I try to listen to a whole album.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the 80s girl pop group.

Jesse's Girl - Rick Springfield is the song I always start with. That segues into Material Girl by Madonna, followed by some ABBA.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
Those are the best of the best for me. But you really can't go wrong with Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Orbital, Paul Van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, George Acosta, Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto, the Run Lola Run soundtrack, Gnarls Barkley, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, Rammstein or Metallica. All those are unconditionally guaranteed to get the heart rate up.
*seconds all that!* [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Battle of New Orleans (Johnny Horton). Perfect for jogging, especially cross-country.
Well, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.
They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em
down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sabre Dance for bicycle riding or plate spinning.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

[ROFL]
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Blackstar featuring Common: Respiration
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
When I actually made myself work out I would listen to the Bach cello suites while on the elyptical. It went really nicely for me, but I am also a huge classical music dork.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... this post will reveal the true depths of my dorkiness (is that even a word??? lol) but some of my work out songs on my MP3 player include:

Gonna Fly Now (Rocky theme song)--
Eye of the Tiger (Rocky 3 theme song)
Physical (yes I am serious)
Twist of Fate (Gotta love Oliva Newton John [Smile] )
The Middle (I try to time it for the MIDDLE of my run...lol)
Runaway
I Ran
Califonia Dreamin'
Spirit in the Sky
Dueling Banjos

These may seem dorky.. but just try and run to the Rocky theme song and not get pumped...lol

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:

Thank you. If no one had said it I would have had to find some way to smack you all upside the head! [Wink]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Creed "My Sacrifice"
Dope "No Chance"
Limp Bizkit "My Way"
Drowning Pool "Bodies"
Blink 182 "The Rock Show"
Three Doors Down "Kryptonite"
Aerosmith "Dude Looks Like a Lady"
They Might Be Giants "Sensurround"
They Might Be Giants "Till My Head Falls Off"
Social Distortion "Ring of Fire"
Steppenwolf "Magic Carpet Ride"
Mono Puff "Unsupervised"
Smashmouth "Holiday in my Head"

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont actually exercise formally very often, but I do fire dance, and I need music to inspire me when my arms feel like they are about to fall off.
Right now, my practice CD looks like this:
Heart - Barracuda and Magic Man
Bjork - Army of me
NIN - Closer
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love and I Dont like the Drugs
John Lee Hooker - Big Legs, Tight Skirt
Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man
Amr Diab - Leily Nahar
Voltaire - When You're Evil
Pirates R' Us - The Ballad Of Captain Crunch
Paula Cole - Feelin' Love and Carmen
Tori Amos - She's your Cocaine
Corvus Corax - Filli Neidhardi
The Crystal Method - Name of The Game
Tom Waits - Collisium (sp?)

Every single one of those songs is sexy as hell, and they all get your blood pumping and your hips swivelling. Which could be good. Or it could be bad.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, I'd love to hear what your iPod says about the 80s girl pop...sounds like it's right up my alley. After listening to Jack Johnson while on the elliptical today I realized that his laid back tunes weren't helping me maximize my work-out.

Much of the music here I don't even recognize.

*I've become my mother [Cry]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The song you listed by The Who is actually entitled "Baba O'Reilly."
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I'll have to check when I get home, But right now I'm pushing OK GO. Quick, bouncy, and fun!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liaison
Member # 6873

- posted      Profile for Liaison   Email Liaison         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch from my workout playlist:

Alkaline Trio- Time to Waste
Celldweller- Shapeshifter
Rob Zombie- Reload, Dragula
Depeche Mode- John the Revelator
Puscifer- The Undertaker
DJ Z-Trip- About Face
Lacuna Coil- Our Truth
Linkin Park- Runaway, Kyur4 Th Ich
Fort Minor- There They Go, Remember The Name
Loreena McKennitt- Marco Polo

The Boondock Saints- Blood of Cuchulainn
Bi Rain- It's Raining
Miyavi- Fuminshou no Nemurihime

The last three are probably hard to find.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.