FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prove Your Geekiness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Prove Your Geekiness
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Every single time I watch Lord of the Rings, I get choked up when they light the beacons (tonight is no exception).

Tell me what makes you a true geek.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
All your base are belong to us.

In the return of the king I got choked up when Aragorn initiated the bow to the hobbits. That was the moment for me.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sauron is not the original dark lord. And I know who is. I also know far too much about the creation of Middle Earth and the influence of religion (Catholicism) and mythology (Norse/Celtic/British) on Tolkien's thought processes.

And I think in Dark Tower dialect. Folken, thankee sai, and so forth.

see the turtle of enormous girth
on his back he holds the earth

Edit: I hope this wasn't limited to Tolkien geekiness.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I also get choked up in the beacon moment, such a great moment.

I can quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail pretty much start to finish.

I can quote much of Firefly and Serenity.

I'm so much of a Lord of the Rings geek, that I've spent 4 years of my life spending much of my free time working on a game that is essentially an online simulation of Middle Earth.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I get a little teary eyed at the beacon lighting scene too.

I can quote MP and the HG entirely from start to finish.

I know Yakko's "Nations of the World" song.

I have all of Stargate, Firefly, and much of Star Trek on DVD.

I've read the Histories of Middle Earth, after reading everything else anyone by the name of Tolkien has written.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sing and play guitar for the song "Hero of Canton".
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.... on second thought, maybe I'm not that geeky after all.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Good heavens, I have all of Macgyver, too. Sheesh! (And we're in the middle of watching season 3.) Dead Zone - just started watching season 4. Firefly isn't available here yet, and neither is most of Star Trek.

But no, I have nothing memorized and couldn't quote my way out of a wet paper bag. But I'm still a geek.

My proof?

I married a programmer two months after downloading his software and meeting him online and eight hours after meeting in person for the first time. That's TRUE GEEKNESS! Hah!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
See? No one's responded since my response, so I clearly win. Hah! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
WAIT!!! I logged on too late... What if both my parents are geeks, wouldn't that make me a geek by default since it's GOT to be recessive? ; )

but, you still win, quidscribis. : )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the first season of Highlander and have watched it numerous times. I try to convert new watchers any time some one new comes over to visit.

I met my programmer boyfriend on Hatrack and he moved in with me a month and a half after we met.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I married a programmer two months after downloading his software and meeting him online and eight hours after meeting in person for the first time. That's TRUE GEEKNESS! Hah!
Psssh. I am a programmer. I have a Debian GNU linux server running on a mac mini, a dual booted windows XP/Ubuntu Linux desktop machine and a Mac Os X laptop. I'm teaching 13 - 17 year olds to program java, C++ and HTML/CSS at a computer camp all summer (almost done) and have written my own software.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Those are two convincing sentences... What with the teaching and all...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cygnus
Member # 9613

- posted      Profile for cygnus   Email cygnus         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how to program in 3 different languages. Not too advanced but I DO enjoy it, much more than any other non-CS major I know.

I have done homework on Friday and Saturday nights, on numerous times. I have gotten up early Saturday morning to work on a project by myself.

I listen to Prog Rock/Metal.

There is probably more but I guess I will stop there.

Bryan

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Tell me what makes you a true geek.

Whenever I get the urge for some LOTR action. . .

I read the books.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was translating the word "traffic jam" into French n for class. Knowing that Mr. Dursley gets stuck in the "usual morning traffic jam", I opened up my French edition of Harry Potter and found the identical paragraph to get the word I needed.

You know you are a geek when you have a book memorized enough to use it as a dictionary.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so geeky that I have no particular need to prove my geekiness to unworthy people. Nonetheless, I will condescend to point out that I, too, get teary-eyed at the lighting of the beacons, and can program in four languages, five if you count HTML, which I don't. Because it's not Turing complete.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

I just realized... Who has to win anything? Couldn't we just celebrate our geekiness together, whilst reveling in the fact that there are more of us than just 'me'? What matters with geek? Is it language? Is it genetics? Is it learned? Is it nothing more than your particular space in time relevant to those around you?

Hoorah for Geeks!!!

As Valentine014 said - Tell me what makes you a true geek.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Latin version of the Aeneid to any English translation.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear spectacles, I read far too much and I can't talk to girls without stuttering.

My all time favourite band is Jethro Tull (music shouldn't be easy to listen to)

I've read: LOTR 4x / Hitchhiker's Guide 3x / Tales of Alvin Maker 2x (currently working towards three) / The Saga of Recluse ... undsoweiter.

I don't know whether any of this proofs that I'm a geek. You decide...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
I've read: LOTR 4x / Hitchhiker's Guide 3x
What, that's it?

I'd read LotR that many times by the time I was twelve. And same for HGTTG.

Sheesh.

C'mon, you can do better than that. [Razz]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm such a band geek, that I'm going to put it on par with plain old geekiness.

Where all my BGs at?

(If I ever seriously talk like that, please feel free to shoot me.)

I'm such a band geek that when I came across Santa Clara Vanguard rehearsing, I forgot that I was sick with the stomach flu and sat outside to listen to them for nearly an hour.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched every season of Transformers on DVD -- and I own every season of Beast Wars and can quote freely upon command.

Lalo, ftw!

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
quid: Well, I've been busy working my way through the entire Indiana Jones series. I know, it's not much of an excuse, but it took up a lot of my time.
Besides, I was only introduced to LOTR when I was fifteen. Douglas Adams came into my life even later.
I also spent a lot of time reading Spidey comics.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Excuses, excuses. [Razz]
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
I can quote Douglas Adams, Tolkien, Asimov, Herbert, and Heinlein on command. I have the Princess Bride, most of Monty Python, and the Matrix memorized, not to mention Shakespeare. Oh, and I can do the entirety of both Alice's Restaurant and Who's on First?
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have taken this test multiple times.

49.90138% - Super Geek

I not only attended band camp, i taught there after i was too old to be a camper.

i know what kwsni stands for!

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the entire script, word for word, to Poltergeist.

The three computers in my house are called "Deep Thought" (an IBM), "Magrathea" and "Black Mesa".

I have watched 2001 from beginning to end, without falling asleep, twice in the same day.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a programmer by trade, I always get teary-eyed during the first five minutes of Serenity, and I'm going to be taking a college math class just for fun this fall.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
I have watched 2001 from beginning to end, without falling asleep, twice in the same day.
*awe*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
I used the terms "coefficient of friction" and "correlation coefficients" in everyday conversation, including while at church.

I was on a long flight with my wife and was explaining that the acceleration due to gravity changes with altitude. The people around us thought we were geeks.

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Just took that test... 58.1854% Geek, Extreme Geek. You'd think "extreme" would mean higher percentage than that, but what can ya do. And they definitely were missing a lot of aspects of geekiness [Wink]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by b boy:
i know what kwsni stands for!

I didn't until you said that ... and then I started thinking about it ... and I do, too.

But I'm not a geek. I married a geek, but I'm not a geek. And having The Princess Bride memorized doesn't count ...

Although this might: I know many 1960's musicals by heart. I can do most of The Music Man word-for-word as fast as Robert Preston. Likewise The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Singin' in the Rain, etc.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I only got 29%, and I'm way geekier than that! I think they focused too much on the traditional definition of geek. I'd say that in today's society, "geek" is a much broader term, reserved for people other than just Tolkien enthusiasts (like scientists and people who love RDA).
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
49% here. But I modified the HTML and Javascript to get 103%. That seems about right.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Super Geek
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know that in the book 2001 the big monolith was on a moon of Saturn, not orbiting Jupiter. Kubrick changed it because his SFX crew couldn't make a convincing Saturn. However, in both the book and movie of 2010, the big monolith is around Jupiter. Since so many more people knew his story (2001) from the movie than the book, Clarke decided to keep it around Jupiter.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think they focused too much on the traditional definition of geek.
A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken??? You people are weird!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you didn't know that that's what we were all talking about this whole time?
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
13.41%. Time for me to leave this thread.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have more books than DVD's, CD's, Ring Tones, and downloads of music--combined.

I have not read them all, but do plan to.

They range from Mercede's Lackey to Aristotle, Tolstoy to Asimov.

Even a couple of Norton Anthologies of History, which I enjoyed reading.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Since so many more people knew his story (2001) from the movie than the book, Clarke decided to keep it around Jupiter.
Yup. The book 2010 is a sequel to the movie 2001, not the book 2001.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
They range from Mercede's Lackey to Aristotle, Tolstoy to Asimov.

Dan, I am severely disappointed in you. I mean, plurals are one thing, but this? It's... it's... UNGEEKY! As punishment, you are required to read every Danielle Steel novel in existence, in order of their publication. And glue a tack to your apostrophe key.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I corrected my pastor for something he said from the pulpit. It wasn't theology that I was concerned with. It was that he used an illustration from the Lord of the Rings and said that Tolkien wrote it as a Christian allegory.

I told him never mind anything he said about God or Jesus from the pulpit, but if he brings up JRR Tolkien, he better get his facts straight.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Just took the geek test 55.6213%
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am secure enough in my geekiness that I have no need to prove it. [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so geeky, I believe Mercede's Lackey is a more fitting name than Mercedes Lackey for a writer churning out second rate books more interested in the cash than the craft.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. I'd love to take the geek test, but it's blocked by my work's filter.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
35.89744% - Major Geek
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
49.90138% - Super Geek

Fortunately, also socially competent and sexy as heck.

Thank you, good DNA [Wink]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.