FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prove Your Geekiness (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Prove Your Geekiness
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
There are more computers in my house than people.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
32.1499% Total Geek

And here I thought I was a moderate [Razz]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Gah. I'd love to take the geek test, but it's blocked by my work's filter.

If you were really a geek, that wouldn't stop you.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
63.9 % geek....and I hate math and answered honestly. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Gah. I'd love to take the geek test, but it's blocked by my work's filter.

If you were really a geek, that wouldn't stop you.
If I were really a geek, I wouldn't be married and have responsibility to not put my job in jeopardy.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Kiwi! I was afraid I remain the highest-scoring, and something would totally be wrong with that since I clicked no roleplaying boxes and barely any computer/programming ones. Phew!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I got about half the computer ones, but I am not a programmer.....and most of the role-playing ones.

I think they should subtract points if you have had sex....

....providing it was not by yourself. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm impressed, but not surprised, by the geek-level in this forum. I used to post in the Geek Forum (on the Geek Test site) but when you get a group of people together who self-identify as geeks based on getting the highest score on a rated geek-system, you get many super obnoxious, pretentious, insecure geeks who become insufferable over time. I imagine that Mensa functions are much the same.

Yeah, I lost points in the programming and Anime departments.

Haha Kwea, I always wondered if there were ones on there that made you lose points...

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw four seasons of "Babylon 5" in three weeks.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
45.759%--mostly on math/science and RPGs. Though one that they could never get on the test--wrote a love letter to my (now ex) girlfriend in Matlab m-code. That should be worth at least another 10%.
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I play exhausting games on online forums [Big Grin]
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah, who cares about Mensa? They let in too much riff-raff.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jebu
Member # 8718

- posted      Profile for Jebu   Email Jebu         Edit/Delete Post 
I've memorized the first 140 decimals of Pi.

I've read quantum physics at dinner table, and laughed out loud.

I cracked the code in the last page of the book 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown.

I 've finished 'X-Com: Enemy Unknown' at Superhuman difficulty level (with the difficulty bug fixed). I still play it after all these years.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
I second the quantum physics at the dinner table, though that happens to me more with math than physics.

My geekiest is this: I ordered a pizza and invited friends over to watch the ending of a video game.

Also, I always bring at least 4 math books on vacations.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what GURPS stands for and I own the core rule book. I also own the Star Wars RPG core rule book. I want to learn Japanese just for fun.

Most importantly, I'm replying to this thread while listening to Dir en grey.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fetish for attractive women in lab coats, like the one in my lab that just talked to me 5 minutes ago.. *drewl*
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also own the Star Wars RPG core rule book.
West End's d6 version, WotC's d20 version, or both? [Smile]

I've got a D&D Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, plus the Eberron Core supplement, Spycraft v1.0 and Spycraft v2.0 rulebooks, and West End's Star Wars core rulebook and Dark Empire sourcebook.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Every major video game I've purchased I've finished in one sitting. Call of Duty 2 in about seven hours, Soldier of Fortune 2 in nine hours, American McGee's Alice in eleven, Half-Life 2 in nineteen, and the original Half-Life in twenty-three hours.

I repeat: one sitting. Non-stop, no sleep, no breaks, no food for the most part.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:
I have a fetish for attractive women in lab coats, like the one in my lab that just talked to me 5 minutes ago.. *drewl*

That doesn't make you a geek. They're the one in the lab coat.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've got a D&D Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, plus the Eberron Core supplement, Spycraft v1.0 and Spycraft v2.0 rulebooks, and West End's Star Wars core rulebook and Dark Empire sourcebook.
If geekiness is measured in RPG rulebook quantities, I win the thread.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Designed a cable pattern from Cirth - and used only prime numbers.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Angiomorphism:

That doesn't make you a geek. They're the one in the lab coat.
Well to be fair, I'm wearing one too...
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the d20 version from WotC.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
30.17751% - Total Geek.

I had senioritis in high school...so I joined the Academic Decathlon team. We went on to take 6th at nationals and I won a bronze medal in math. My mom later threw it out by accident. [Cry]

In our coach's classroom we had a storage room that we called "The Time Chamber" where we would skip class to go study.

EDIT - spelling...Not a geek of the literary variety.

[ August 05, 2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Juxtapose ]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined an applied physics class and we built cars that could successfully navigate through a maze and they played Beethovens Fur Elise whenever they moved. I insisted that my car play Fur Elise correctly and with all the proper rests.

I am a combination computer band geek [Cool]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Three languages? Four? Geez, I know that many dead/outdated programming languages (m68k assembly, c64 assembly, Jovial J3B, and NES assembly).

I've written and played my own NES game. Pong.

I've implemented the Davis-Putnam procedure in PL/SQL, using a table for a stack.

I refuse to use Javascript. I know and loathe VB.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went back to school shopping both online and IRL, then took an inventory of what I bought. I've found that about 75% of my stuff--including pants, underwear, shirts, coats, and so on--has a Serenity or Firefly logo on it, makes a reference to Serenity or Firefly, or is a replica of one shown in Serenity or Firefly.

I get Geek Cred, yes?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, I've founded the Most High and Secret Society of the Emerald City, where we go and watch all the Oz-related movies, read the books, and discuss which is the best. Yes, this is a real, school-sponsored club.

And I founded Book Club. Except I can't tell you that, because rule one of Book Club is you don't talk about Book Club.

Rule two of Book Club is you don't talk about Book Club.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
42.2097% Major Geek.

Sounds about right.

I found it ironic by the way that Hot Topic is one of the sponsors of the site that hosts the geek test.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

58% - Extreme Geek

CS Degree + videogamer will do that.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Solo Wing Pixy
Member # 9489

- posted      Profile for Solo Wing Pixy   Email Solo Wing Pixy         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw I only scored a 19.32939%... still a "Geek" though. I like how no matter how low you get, you at least are said to have "Geekish Tendencies"--just for taking that test I suppose.

Anyways, this thread reminded me of this OSC excerpt I just read not 3 hours ago.

"Some are born nerds, some choose nerdhood, and some have nerdiness thrust upon them. I chose."

(First paragraph in the Afterword for his short story Fat Farm, from Maps In A Mirror)

I was over at my parent's friends' house for a dinner party and I, being a (now official) Geek, was reading instead of socializing. I laughed when I read that, partly because its plain funny, and partly because of the coincidence between the quote and my position. Thanks Mr. Card for inadvertently relating to me and, in a way, consoling me.

[ August 04, 2006, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: Solo Wing Pixy ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a geek. A) I work in a laboratory. B) you should see the cool extraction/distillation setup I put together yesterday.

The acetone evaporates up into a second stage, where it condenses and drips down into an area that holds about 50ml of fluid and the part that we are extracting organics from. The cool thing, is that once it drips over 50ml, the whole thing self-siphons back down into the bottom flask. It keeps a steady supply of pure acetone bathing the part to make sure everything is extracted.

I can stand there there and just be mesmerized watching the whole system work.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a geek. I don't know and programming, but I can quote extensively from Firefly, Serenity, LOTR, and Harry Potter. I like to read more than almost anything else. I know I don't completely compare to some of the more superior geeks, and to you, you have my complete and utter respect. Long live geekdom!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, I think we can all consider ourselves geeks on a higher level because we post in an online forum about a sci fi author. That definitely helps our geek rating.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I only got a 10 on the test but i dont feel that is very accurate.
I have bought all the HP books the day they came
out.

I collect football cards and coins.

I skipped a party because Magic Street had just come out the day before.

I own all 5 Rocky movies, their soundtracks, the video game, the t-shirts, and named my dog Rocky.

I dance to hip-hop music when no one is looking. (i am white).

These things would increase my score at lest to a major geek.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
You know you're a geek when you start a thread that is all in binary. [Wink]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

I think that makes you more of a wannabe.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that coming here every day made me a pretty big geek, but I guess I was wrong. I got 24.999% on the test, but mostly because I was really bored in high school and calculators and computers were the only way to pass the time.

Also, I would like to thank each and every one of you. I have never in my life felt so cool, and yet so incredibly inferior. It is quite exhilarating. [Wink]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I cracked the code in the last page of the book 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown.
Oh yeah? Well I GOOGLED it!

Hmm, I don't program (QBasic doesn't exactly count, I don't think), I don't roleplay, and I've only read LOTR once. I don't even play video games, and I've lost Risk every time I've played it (less than ten times, and against an expert, but still...) I don't know my geek code, and I haven't played the flute in a year.

But I've read the Silmarillion (without falling asleep), and enjoyed it. I can quote passages of most books I've read more than once or twice (I drove my mom crazy quoting Animorphs, but by now I just quote H2G2 and EG and ES in my head). I have way more books than anything else, including, I bet, articles of clothing, which is saying something since I rarely throw any of it away. I know how to convert bases, and I know why all of it belongs to us. I know the meaning of the word "gafiate" and I can pick out a certain filk song on the guitar. I've taken the geek test, which certainly counts for something, although I don't remember what I got. I think it was in the high 20s, low 30s.
I wear glasses and I read a lot, to the point that I got a pass in middle school so that I could come into the library every lunchtime and read. I know my way around the section of the Dewey Decimal system that I was in charge of organizing when I was a library aide in eighth grade. Money that comes into my possession is more likely to be spent on books than anything else. I have a wish list of items at thinkgeek.com. I beat most people at checkers.
Geekiest of all...I'm geeky enough to care.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, I would like to thank each and every one of you. I have never in my life felt so cool, and yet so incredibly inferior. It is quite exhilarating. [Wink]
[ROFL]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know you're a geek when you start a thread that is all in binary. [Wink]
http://www.galacticcactus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1717&hl=
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

THAT was funny. [Big Grin]

You're welcome. [Wink]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
66.27219 - Geek God

I think I've done better in the past on it too, I've forgotten some stuff. And I can think of a lot more than five things that should be on that.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:I've got a D&D Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, plus the Eberron Core supplement, Spycraft v1.0 and Spycraft v2.0 rulebooks, and West End's Star Wars core rulebook and Dark Empire sourcebook.

If geekiness is measured in RPG rulebook quantities, I win the thread.

Wanna bet? I could give you a run for your money.

I have over 20 of the old West End Games d6 books. The Alternity Core Rule books (they need to bring that game back, it was great). Plus countless number's of D&D books. [Razz]

Edit: And incidiently the West End games version is so much better than the d20 version.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet I have more I.C.E. RPG books than anybody else here.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Good heavens, I have all of Macgyver, too. Sheesh! (And we're in the middle of watching season 3.) Dead Zone - just started watching season 4. Firefly isn't available here yet, and neither is most of Star Trek.

But no, I have nothing memorized and couldn't quote my way out of a wet paper bag. But I'm still a geek.

My proof?

I married a programmer two months after downloading his software and meeting him online and eight hours after meeting in person for the first time. That's TRUE GEEKNESS! Hah!

You can get Firefly on iTunes store under Fox Classic TV Shows.

I guess since I knew that, I would be a geek?

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
9.46746% - Geekish Tendencies
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
9.46746% - Geekish Tendencies

You're in the wrong thread!!!
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
There are more computers in my house than people.

[Laugh]
If you go that route, I am definitely a geek:

You might be geek if you have:

9:1 Hard Drive to Person Ratio
3:1 Puter to Person Ratio
1 laptop - 2 OS

in your house hold. [Razz]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether the likelihood that there is only one person in that "household" makes you more of a geek or less of one.

-o-

Three years ago, more or less, we had a "Hatrack Geek Club" thread. I was elected president.

'Nuff said.

-o-

(I made up some good titles for the other participants in the thread . . . I wonder if it's still around somewhere . . . )

EDIT: The best I could find was a reference to the original thread. The thread itself seems to be gone. lesigh

-o-

We own thousands of books. My "to be read" stack is easily over fifty.

[ August 06, 2006, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.