FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obesity Vaccine (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Obesity Vaccine
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
But are they really that big a deal? I don't think so.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I agree with you, but that is another discussion entirely.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:

My problem with it is that I am in general against turning to drugs and medications to solve problems that could be solved with out them.

:sigh: If you could only know. Do you know what it is like to simple BE the kind of person who gets fat? You are no different from your friends, and yet there is this thing about you, and you KNOW everyone you know sees it and thinks something about it, and about YOU.

You must have no idea what that is like, and how it is to lose weight in this society that wants you to consume consume consume, then blames you for it when you do. To be as healthy as I am, I have to endure goading from people who offer me pizza at meetings, ice cream and cake on holidays, soda at gatherings and beer at parties. My body can't have those things: I am like an addict who is offered free heroin every day, who has to fight off the joint when it is passed to me. I have to endure all that and still be pitied and mocked like I was in highschool for being overweight. It sucks. Its one of the worst things in the world for me. Bring on the drugs, its worth it.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having read all the responses I'm jumping in with a thought.

My brother as a teen worked at Weinerschnitzel and ate chili cheese fries EVERY day (sometimes twice a day). He was thin and active and just loved chili cheese fries. When he went in to donate blood and plasma the worker was shocked and showed him the globs of fat floating around in his blood. He had so much fat because of his very unhealthy diet that was not making him fat that they wouldn't take his blood. After quite a while of healthy eating and consulting his doc he was able to bring those levels down but he said it disgusted him to see how bad it was though there were no outward symptoms. He was a teenage walking heart attack.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After quite a while of healthy eating and consulting his doc he was able to bring those levels down but he said it disgusted him to see how bad it was though there were no outward symptoms. He was a teenage walking heart attack.
And yet fat people trying hard to eat healthy get the scorn of everyone else in society. Orinoco's exactly right...it absolutely sucks being fat. There's a reason obesity is highly correlated with depression, the two conditions cause each other. At least Wendy's brother could struggle with his health problems in private; it's much more painful to have to struggle with them in public. If drugs can solve the external problems, bring them on!
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Edgehopper:
And yet fat people trying hard to eat healthy get the scorn of everyone else in society. Orinoco's exactly right...it absolutely sucks being fat. There's a reason obesity is highly correlated with depression, the two conditions cause each other. At least Wendy's brother could struggle with his health problems in private; it's much more painful to have to struggle with them in public. If drugs can solve the external problems, bring them on!

I think you missed the point of her narrative.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you missed the point of her narrative.
No, I got the point, I just chose to turn it to my own devious purposes. I'm a lawyer, remember? [Smile]
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe....good point [Razz]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"these people...are obviously stupid."

There's a pill for that.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.