FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top Ten Uses for a Superfluous Wedding Dress (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top Ten Uses for a Superfluous Wedding Dress
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I also wonder if there wasn't a staining incident in another series though. I'm wondering if it was red punch and they dyed it pink??

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theca:
Well, maybe it happened in both series. Weren't the All of a Kind Family with younger girls? They didn't have party dresses and go out with boys did they?

There are six books. The girls are all little in the first three, but the older ones have started dating by book four.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
A la Rachel of Friends, start wearing it to answer the door, declaring, "I do!"

*giggle* Guess which episode is on right now?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Donna Parker, On Her Own was the book I was thinking of, or a similar book. But the Henny episode does look right.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Donna Parker, On Her Own... her parents go to India without her and they hire a teacher to stay with Donna and her brother, and her pet dove gets out of his cage and steals the money from the cookie jar and she blames her brother... I must have read that book a dozen times.

I remember it was the first time I'd ever heard of snow chains and living in California, I had NO idea what they were talking about. I pictured chains being wrapped around the outside of the car and wondered how that could possibly help you drive in snow.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet DI would love an already Temple-ready, unworn wedding dress.

For that matter, someone on Freecycle might need it.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be funny. My funny seems to be broke right now. It may have to do with Emma climbing up and sticking her finger in the electric pencil sharpener last night, and Bridget losing weight...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I 've read them both... no wonder!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, Dan's idea about the prison inmate is one of the best so far. [Smile]

I understand what you mean about not wanting to use it when/if wedding occurs...but if it is perfect, maybe you could have it altered in some way (or something added/taken away from it) so it would be the same dress, but NOT the same. you know? [Smile]

Or, you could do the naked paint flinging thing. That's another great idea. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things...

Oh My Gosh I did not realize other people had read All of a Kind Family and its sequels. (of course others had read them, i've just never talked about it!) I read every one of those books growing up and loved them all. A favorite part was the ear piercing (no clue which one it's in) with the strings. Not sure why, just is. Oddly enough, just hearing someone mention them brings back so many moments! Thanks for that! : )

Playing off of katharina's #1... What if you found a really cool destination, like a random waterfall in the middle of the woods. Then dyed each strip you ripped off varying shades leading from 'point a' to the really cool spot? You could even go shades of the rainbow or even varying shades of the same color to build up the 'excitement' to the grand finale... Then there's still a beautiful end for the dress, maybe bringing it full circle?

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like #9 in the original list. [Smile]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm is there a picture of this dress? I'm trying to imagine it as a lovely clubbing dress.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to point out, that dyeing it is only a possibility depending on the material. If it's silk satin, you're in like Flynn as silk is a natural fiber and easily dyed. (provided, of course, the dress can be washed)

If it's polyester satin or some other synthetic fabric, it's a whole 'nother story. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I will say I highly, highly encourage you to not do it.

For one thing, you can't dye anything that isn't washable, and most wedding dresses are dry clean only. Dyeing it is going to involve immersion in water and chemicals and if it's beaded at all, you may find yourself re-attaching all the beads and sequins.

Here's a link on dyeing polyester, but the writer of the page, agrees with me and does not encourage dyeing formal dresses that are synthetic.

Here you go.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all are wonderful. [Smile]

This was a good weekend, actually. Matt was completely darling. I cried and got mad on Friday, but on Saturday, he kept me busy. Came in the morning, gave me roses, found a place for me to get my car detailed, dropped off the car, then the activities started. We went to Mideival Times, which was hilarious and so dorky it came out as cool on the other side. Then, Picasso at the Lapin Agile at a theatre in Arlington. Then we saw Talladega Nights, about which I have mixed feelings. I don't think it's on my list of favorite movies when taken as a whole, but there were a couple of scenes that were absolutely glorious, and it was very original. Plus, when I talked to my dad that morning, he wanted to know when I would be able to come to Utah next. All in all, an amazingly good day. [Smile]

jeniwren, e-mail me when you come. I would absolutely love to have lunch. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Just for you....
http://www.visi.com/~dheaton/bride/the_bride_wore.html

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You know you could sell it on E-Bay.

And if the pictures you use on E-Bay are of your ex-fiance wearing the dress, I'll bet you'll get more out of it.

Maybe not more money, but you'll definately get more out of it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, that link was hilarious. The "what were they thinking?" page has some real howlers.

Okay, as for ideas on what to do with the dress:

1) Use it in a dog wedding.

2) Turn it into a quilt alternating patches from the dress with patches of fabric with an "eye" pattern. Give quilt to someone special.

3) Wear it. Every day. Ask people if they'll take your photo.

4) Add an advertising panel to the back of it and rent space out. Get sponsor's patches sewn on it. You could be the "Home Depot" "Quiznos" bride.

5) Become a performance artist. Howl a lot and act in synchronized movements to a pre-recorded tape of a wedding.

6) Sign up for one of those dude ranch vacations and insist on wearing it during the big round up.

7) Put it on a blow-up doll, fill the doll with helium, and let her fly over the US Capitol. The excitement of watching F-16's scramble will be fun for the whole family.

8) Stage your own production of Phantom of the Opera.

9) Use it the fabric as a grape press for making wine. Serve the wine at your first non-anniversary. Keep muttering stuff about "bitter dregs" and how the wine has a nice satiny finish.

10) Mail it to KoM.

Seriously, though, if you aren't interested in making money from it, donate the dress to a worthy charity in your town.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Or...

You could make a teddy bear (or 10) out of it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe attend a shindig.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just admire it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
This is proof of my theory that some fashion designers hate women. (From the "What were they thinking" portion of the site that BannaOj linked to.) If they didn't hate women, why would they design something like that?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Dan_raven:
7) Put on manakin, put in car, use the carpool lanes as desired.

See also: sidewalks, parks, front lawns, street cafes.

"This is the BRIDE, people!"

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think looking at brides magazines has fried my brain. Most of the things on Banna's link seemed very reasonable and possibly a good idea to me. *hides* Not CaySedai's link, I have to admit.

That's a great list, Bob. I especially love the one involving F-16s. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
kat: yeah, I thought many of them were fine, and actually really liked a few (such as this one, though its probably somewhat impractical due to tripping hazard: http://www.visi.com/~dheaton/bride/butterfly.html )
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's just because they've posed her with half her train draped in front of her. I don't think it's any more of a tripping hazard than the average wedding dress (and why did you think the bride had attendants anyway?)
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heheh, true enough.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
My girls and I had quite a few giggles looking at the dresses, etc., from that site. I've got to find a site I've seen before - with bad bridesmaid dresses.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think the captions made a lot of the humor though some dresses were genuinely bad.

AJ

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
You could use it to guest star on Doctor Who [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE this dress. Minus the freaky bird headdress and bracelets, of course.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
If a televised pagaent is coming up, or better yet, a reality show wedding, you could have a pageant or wedding dress party, where everyone dresses up in their finest and you all watch the show together, make snarky comments and throw popcorn at the tv. For a pageant party, it's also fun to make banners for each guest to wear, with names like Miss Taken, Miss Appropriated, Miss Understood, etc.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
Crash wedding receptions.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at a wedding dress catalogue with my sister-in-law (for her wedding) and there was something very disturbing. Quite a few of the pictures had the "bride" posing with a presumably naked guy. Shaved, oiled, muscles bulging, the whole nine yards (metaphorically speaking). We began to wonder if it was a new kind of wedding accessory...

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I saw those ads! I have no idea what they are for.

Actually, I'm guessing they are intended to get attention. In that case, it definitely worked. I don't think actually including them in the bridal pictures is a good idea, unless maybe it's the groom and he has a very, very overdeveloped sense of humor.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen wedding pictures where because of the style of gown (strapless & backless) some of the dancing/embracing pictures looked like the bride was naked.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.